Pamela Kinnaird W profile image 87

Where do the little birds go when it snows 10 to 12 inches outside and is really cold?

I'm used to seeing them on the bird feeder (and I'm not used to being in snow country in wintertime.) Today there is a foot of snow. The tree branches are bare. I don't see the birds sitting on the branches. They're not at the birdfeeder. They must need food, but everything is covered in snow except for the birdfeeder which I uncovered. Little sparrows and dozens of other little kinds of birds -- does anyone know where they hide out on a cold day?

chef-de-jour profile image90

Best Answer Andrew Spacey (chef-de-jour) says

• Pamela Kinnaird W profile image

Pamela Kinnaird W 4 years ago

chef-de-jour, thank you for your detailed comments. I know little birds need a lot of food every day yet many of them stay all winter in this cold, cold place.

That's so interesting that little birds will break into the milk to survive.

philli profile image90

philli says

• Pamela Kinnaird W profile image

Pamela Kinnaird W 4 years ago

Yes, it's amazing how long the little birds can survive in the terrible cold because of the insulation their feathers provide. I think I read sometime ago that they can sort of hold the feathers just a bit 'out' which provides more insulation yet.

Stina Caxe profile image86

Cristina (Stina Caxe) says

WalterPoon profile image90

Poon Poi Ming (WalterPoon) says

Goody5 profile image84

Goody5 says

• Pamela Kinnaird W profile image

Pamela Kinnaird W 4 years ago

I don't think little birds have nests in the winter. I thought they just make those in the spring so the females can lay their eggs. I'm not sure. I'd better get out my bird books again. Thanks for commenting.

• Pamela Kinnaird W profile image

Pamela Kinnaird W 3 years ago

I know many birds do migrate but the ones I was talking about were there every day and suddenly weren't when the snow fell.

Caveman Etris profile image80

Caveman Etris says

Lor's Stories profile image61

Lor's Stories says

sunny547 says

Tarun Bajaj profile image72

Tarun Bajaj says

Rayne123 says