Why Not Mine HOTD and Editor's Choice for Niche Sites?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

I've noticed that I keep seeing HOTDs that fit the niche sites yet weren't chosen for the niche sites because they still have HubPages URLs.

Why not save some time in the selection process for the niche sites and mine all the recent HOTDs and all of the Editor's Choice hubs for use on the niche sites?

1. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree it would save a lot of time.

2. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

I have a feeling that criteria standards for niche site hubs are higher than the earlier criteria for HOTD and EC hubs. I don't mean "quality" necessarily but things like links, Amazon capsules, etc that have always been acceptable are no longer as acceptable for niche site hubs. So there may be several excellent hubs that are passed over for niche inclusion. Maybe they are starting with the hubs that are easier to snip/edit to get the site site filled as soon as possible. HP staff will tell me if I'm wrong.

Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've seen a HOTD in the last week that would fit in Bellatory.

It really sucks if HOTD now only means a hub that is one of the best of the hubs that are not good enough to move to a niche site.

1. Solaras profile image95
        Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It may be that they are using the same criteria as they did for Editors Choice. Only one article on each topic will get moved, probably the one with the most Google views.  So your better hubs may be getting edged out by someone getting higher Google traffic than yours on the same topic. Or they just have not gotten to those topics yet.

If you update a hub you think should be moved, it will get new eyes on it for possible inclusion.

This makes sense except that they moved one of my less attractive hubs that I don't think would ever qualify for either HOTD or Editor's Choice.

When I used the word 'mine' in the thread title I did not mean something belonging to me, but to mine as in to dig for something. I'm not whining that my hubs aren't getting chosen, just suggesting they look at the hubs that are already labeled as higher quality that they can easily pull up. Or whoever chooses HOTD could just talk to the rest of the team. It's weird to see a newly-chosen HOTD that fits one of the niches perfectly, yet isn't on it.

Again, I'm not talking about wanting my own work to be moved (I have little hope for the majority of my hubs), but about using hubs they already have tagged as higher quality to make their jobs easier. Currently, they are apparently slogging through the brand new hubs first and if you've ever hub hopped, you know that's a mixed bag, one far more mixed than hubs they've already given quality accolades.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image83
        LuisEGonzalezposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The process seems skewed to say the least.

3. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 8 years ago

On paper, this sounds great, but there has been SO much complaining about the quality (or lack of quality) of the HOTD and ED hubs, I can't imagine it would really save much time. What has worked here in the past may not fit the model for ideal hubs on the new niche sites.

The hubs getting moved to niches aren't really the best, either. The hub I'd consider tied for my second to the worst food hub (one I'd been meaning to spruce up a lot when I got the time) got moved to Delishably, but my better written food hubs with prettier pictures are still here. It's certainly not good enough to be a HOTD.

4. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 8 years ago

I am under the impression that for the niches sites, HP is mainly moving hubs that get a certain amount of traffic, in addition to being high quality. I assume high quality hubs that don't get moved are staying put because of low views.

Maybe someone on staff will chime as to whether or not that is true.

1. chef-de-jour profile image97
      chef-de-jourposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm puzzled. A hub of mine made it to a niche and it is a low traffic, unspectacular member of the species. So why choose that one? I'm not sure about the criteria for inclusion but from my angle it's certainly not traffic!! Wonder what it is?

1. SmartAndFun profile image95
        SmartAndFunposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well there goes the validity of my assumption! Who knows? Maybe it's some mystery algo no one really knows or understands, like the scoring system here.

2. Kylyssa profile image90

Some of my hubs that moved to niche sites are low traffic hubs, too, so your guess is as good as mine. None of them are really my very best hubs, either.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
          Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for answering a question I had. I was wondering if it was worth adding new hubs now, but didn't think to go on the hub hopper and see what people are writing.

Most of my hubs with high views are being snipped, but does that necessarily mean they will be moved?

They really need to be getting as many hubs as possible transferred to niche sites as soon as possible, so we can only hope they are only editing hubs that will move to niches.

I'm curious as to where they'll move the atheism hub of mine they've snipped if our guesses about snipping are correct.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My theory, (and it's just a theory based on comments made by HubPages staff), is that they create categories for the niche. Then they look for high-trafficked Hubs to fill those categories.   If they can't find enough high-trafficked Hubs to fill some categories, they will look for others.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image83

That's (traffic) probably isn't the criteria either. The hubs for the so called 'photography' site have almost no comments and probably less traffic with some made by authors with little time on HP, only a handful of hubs to begin with and  almost no followers.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Comments are no indication of the amount of traffic a Hub is getting.  Most comments on HP are from other Hubbers, which (as you know) is a tiny fraction of the overall traffic.  Most of my Hubs get very few comments from outsiders, unless they are asking my advice about something. 

I also understand that they are putting brand new Hubs on the new sites, since they have to go through QAP anyway so they can make a decision on them at the same time.  So that would explain the new Hubs appearing there.

Comments do not matter much IMHO but they do reflect some sort of visibility. The problem that I see is that the staff have a level of expertise based on other things besides writing,music,poetry,gardening photography etc. For example they look at stats and more than likely that is how they decide on what to move and what not to move. Stats alone should not be the deciding factor in what gets moved. It would have been better, I think, to at least ask authors to suggest which hubs to move. In my case I would look at photo related hubs and give my opinion and I would definitely not have chosen at least two of the current ones now featured on the Felt...something site.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

If the comments are from outsiders, then yes they give some idea of visibility.  If they're from other Hubbers, then they're meaningless because Hubbers get notifed of new Hubs and also see them in their feed. 

I agree stats should not be the deciding factor but as you know, HubPages is obsessed with pleasing Google and that is the goal of the niche sites.  So naturally they want to concentrate on Hubs that "please Google", i.e. the ones that get the most Google traffic.

And you are right...like always but it still seems like we are being completely ignored. Hope this move works well in the future as I really like it here( I rant I know, but still like it).

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

If HP doesn't snag my one and only HOTD for a niche site by the end of the week, I'm transferring it to my website.

When HP sees this post, they will no doubt tremble in fear at the loss of 37 views a month. big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)