jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (40 posts)

Editor's Choice Program to Be Retired

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
    Christy Kirwanposted 2 months ago

HP Staff has made the decision to retire the Editor’s Choice program. Editor’s Choice articles were high-quality pieces that were hand-selected by staff to receive special recognition on HubPages. However, with the success of the HubPages Network Sites, we feel our resources are much better spent selecting and editing articles to be moved to Sites. As of this week, Editor’s Choice status, including all related banners and accolades will be removed.

Why can’t Hubbers just keep the banners and accolades once the code is removed?

Since we no longer have the resources to review these articles regularly, we have no way to be sure that they will continue to comply with HubPages guidelines and best practices in the future.

Why aren’t all current EC Hubs automatically moved to sites?

It has been a while since EC Hubs have been reviewed and assessed, and we want to focus first on articles that already have some traffic, since they have a higher potential for growth, rather than focusing exclusively on quality as the EC program did.

Will former EC Hubs be moved eventually?

EC articles will be assessed through our existing process and we expect most, if not all, to eventually be chosen for Network Sites.

1. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Christy,

I respect your decision in this matter, but the only thing that causes me to be sad is that I, in the five years I have been a member of HubPages, never had one of my works chosen as an EC nomination.

But, that is "small potatoes," as some people in the 1940's used as a phrase, compared to the things that are happening in my life, but this is certainly NO place to reveal them.

I for one, appreciate you, Christy, and the work that you do.

2. sallybea profile image98
      sallybeaposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Interesting, I have twelve which have never been moved, some in spite of reasonable traffic.

1. Barbara Kay profile image85
        Barbara Kayposted 2 months ago in reply to this

I have several also.  I am wondering what is going to happen to the hubs that are left here.  I think it is only fair if they are going to be deleted at some point in time, that it would only be fair to let us know ASAP.

1. sallybea profile image98

That would be nice to know as I would probably move most of them to my own website if that happens.  Strange that one of them with over 9000 views has never been moved.  May not be a lot compared to other peoples hubs but I think enough to be on one of the niche sites.

That is what I was thinking too.

2. helenstuart profile image78
            helenstuartposted 2 months ago in reply to this

SallyBea, 9000 views!  I think I have either 4 or 5 active posts. I think they are fairly interesting, except for one. I think I have a total of 12 views. Manoman, do you understand the advertising rules, because I sure don't. I've tried over and over.  Does anybody make any money? I started writing for Niume because people actually give you feedback, and you have a chance to make some money. See, I'm not even giving my referral code.

That was on one hub which was an Editors Choice Hub.  I started using Niume too, it seems interesting, and as you say you do get some feedback and make a few cents to add to the pot.

@ smile sallybea, what is Niume? I know that I am not supposed to be on here until Oct. 27--that will be my one month "break" that discussed a few days back, but I didn't say that I would not comment on forums.

Go and check it out, it is a writing site which I think you would enjoy.  I know I do.  You can post really short articles with images and get paid.
                  Not sure why you feel you have to take a break as you are entitled to post when and whatever you like here but have a go on Niume.

@ sallybea,
                    Thanks. I will inbox you via your profile page on HP soon. Right now I am adjusting, re-tooling my next appearance on HP that I hope all will enjoy. But always remember my DEAR, TALENTED FRIEND, "you rock!"

3. RonElFran profile image96
      RonElFranposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Christy, since EC hubs have already been vetted once, why not make use of the hubber community to do a final vet before approving them to be moved. Assign each EC hub to two volunteers (who might be screened based on hubber score), and if both agree that it still merits its high rating, it should be ready to go.

A variation on this would be to allow writers of EC hubs to nominate them to be moved with no time restrictions (no 60 day wait period), and then assign volunteers to review them when nominated. That way, if a hubber has made any unfortunate changes, they have the opportunity and incentive to correct them before nominating the hub.

The probability of a hubber deliberately changing their EC hub so drastically as to disqualify it is already pretty low. So why not let other hubbers, who are probably at least as motivated as staff to see the niche sites succeed, carry part of the evaluation load?

4. LiamBean profile image90
      LiamBeanposted 2 months ago in reply to this

If you can spare the human resources to "move to sites," you can spare the resources to maintain "editor's choice" status. Maybe the site owner should be more concerned about quality that the money he (or she) can make from the site.

And if you don't like "my take" on this, that's just too darned bad.

2. Chriswillman90 profile image90
    Chriswillman90posted 2 months ago

I'm fine with this as clearly your resources need to be spent elsewhere that will actually create success. I too am curious about the hubs that don't get chosen but I trust your judgement in the matter.

3. Joyce Fischer profile image80
    Joyce Fischerposted 2 months ago

As a newbie on HubPages, I am disappointed with this decision. Networks appears to be based mainly on traffic, while Editors Choice was hand picked Hubs. Editors Choice, as I see it, was a way of highlighting hubs that might have been overlooked because of topic, title, or popularity. There are always interesting and well written articles on a platform such as HubPages that get lost in the shuffle. Editors Choice would have helped increase traffic to Hubs that are high quality, yet might have been overlooked by readers. It would have really helped new writers who are doing a good job get noticed.

Is your staff not able to come to a weekly staff meeting with two choices; one for Editors Choice and one for Networks? The decision is already made, so maybe it's moot point. But there should be some kind of recognition for writers who are doing outstanding work, regardless of traffic.

1. spartucusjones profile image90
      spartucusjonesposted 2 months ago in reply to this

If you are a newbie, every Hub you write will be considered for the new niche sites automatically based on quality. Traffic is only a issue with preexisting Hubs. But as Christy stated, most of the Hubs that qualified for EC, will eventually be transferred to the niche sites (which would include low traffic as well). But the process will obviously take time.

1. Jan Saints profile image76
        Jan Saintsposted 2 months ago in reply to this

And what makes them think that the new hubs will eventually gain traffic. I think they can wait for them to gain some traffic on hubpages.com and concentrate on the existing, trafficked hubs. My opinion though!

1. spartucusjones profile image90
          spartucusjonesposted 2 months ago in reply to this

If the Hub is high quality then it doesn't matter if it gets traffic. They just need to try to avoid anything that Google will penalize. But it can take a while for a Hubs to gain traffic, and the Hubs chances for traffic are significantly better on the niche sites. So it makes sense to consider new Hubs immediately (it will also lighten the future load). But it also made sense that with preexisting Hubs that they started with ones that were already getting traffic.

Traffic is everything in a business like hubpages! And some articles seem not to get traffic even when posted on authority websites. So I think it's good that they avoid this kind of try and error method of moving hubs.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Hi Joyce,

Part of the reason we are retiring the program was that it did not help to increase traffic to these Hubs as we'd hoped.

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image94
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 2 months ago

I think people should spend more time being appreciative of the updates to the joint which have improved everything greatly than spending time agonizing over retired, and very minor features. Well, we live in a fairly quarrelsome world. Thanks for the improvements on this end big_smile

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Your comment has lifted my day. Thank you!

5. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 2 months ago

I hope I can understand the position of HubPages staff. But, as a matter of fact, the banners and accolades have been loved by most of us. So, we may take some time in accepting the fact that they are being removed.

6. Sherry Hewins profile image94
    Sherry Hewinsposted 2 months ago

As Christy said, Editor's Choice did nothing to gain traffic for the chosen hubs, so I have no problem with losing the accolade.

It seems like I heard a while back that hubs that had been HOTD and Editor's Choice were going to gain some kind of priority in being reviewed for moving to network sites. If my account is any example, that has not been the case.

It does seem a waste of resources that hubs that have already been reviewed for quality don't have some advantage. It sounds like traffic is still the main thing that moves a hub up in the queue.

7. agilitymach profile image99
    agilitymachposted 2 months ago

I have always opted out of the EC program.  I felt it wouldn't be a great benefit to me, and thus I decided not to do it.  I won't miss it, but I do give kudos to those that whose hubs received the EC distinction.  Although the program is going away, you can know your hub was well received by HP. smile

8. Glenn Stok profile image98
    Glenn Stokposted 2 months ago

The decision to drop the Editor's Choice designation makes sense since most traffic comes from search, and those visitors usually don't look at our profiles where the banner would be seen. I am sure that's why it never really helped improve traffic, as Christy had said.

The move of hubs to the network niche sites has proven to be a much better method of improving traffic. I can understand why resources need to be applied where it helps the most. In my opinion, HubPages has always focused on what's important for the success of us all.

With that said, I'll miss the accolade, but always look forward to continued improvements.

1. Ashish Dadgaa profile image77
      Ashish Dadgaaposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Very well said Mr. Stok.

I really appreciate your view smile

1. Glenn Stok profile image98
        Glenn Stokposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Thank you Ashish.

2. Jan Saints profile image76

And what's the purpose of Editor's Choice? Is it not to give articles the quality needed by search engines which bring the traffic?

1. Glenn Stok profile image98
        Glenn Stokposted 2 months ago in reply to this

No Jan. Search engines never noticed if a hub was Editor's Choice or not, and there was no banner in the SERPs for people to see either. The only people who would have seen the banner are those who looked at our profiles. Therefore it's no lose to have it removed. Actually, we gain by not having it anymore since staff can put more resources towards reviewing hubs for network niche sites.

I mean, search engines are tailored to favor quality articles (i.e. ranking them better and allowing them gain more traffic). So I expect Editor's Choice hubs (which are of good quality) to get noticed by search engines and get ranked higher in the SERPs thus bringing some good traffic.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
      DzyMsLizzyposted 2 months ago in reply to this

@Glen: I never understood why the EC banner was not displayed ON the hub itself.  That would seem to have given it more status and possibly more traffic, than just having it on our profile/stats page, which, as you correctly pointed out, is usually not read by outside readers.

9. Rangoon House profile image83
    Rangoon Houseposted 2 months ago

Congratulations and good luck Christy and team. I find it very reassuring to know you are always "on the case" to improve opportunities for all of us, especially when I would have no clue if doing this by myself without the HubPages platform and expertise.

Rangoon House, that Christy is always on her "A game," no matter what problem or question is facing me, she is always there to help.
      I wish there were more people in our world like Christy.

1. Rangoon House profile image83
        Rangoon Houseposted 2 months ago in reply to this

So true Kenneth. Grateful that we have the A-gamers in our little world here.

10. TeriSilver profile image90
    TeriSilverposted 2 months ago

I cannot say whether the EC banners on my hubs would, could or have led to more views. But having them there makes me feel good and know that others value my work.  I would like to keep those reminders, if at all possible, because, I admit, it's an "ego" thing.  And because I have so few reminders these days of anything in life that I do well, it's nice to have that positive feedback.

They were a real motivator for me, because it showed someone appreciated my work. I can see that now more effort needs to be put into the niche sites.

11. Buildreps profile image95
    Buildrepsposted 2 months ago

Good choice, since it was subjected to subjectiveness.

working