Prescribe A Cure For Boringness

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (62 posts)
  1. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

I don't get it. Why are some people so annoyingly boring. I know, I know, we all can't be interesting as hell. We all come short, yeah I know. Whether its exhaustion or drowsiness or whatever, we all get boring once in our lives. But here's the thing, thats not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about those who constantly are boring. Always making phony boring remarks. I mean awfully boring people who have absolutely nothing to say. And worst of all is, they think they're funny as hell. O how funny they think they are! They probably think they should have a spot on Comedy Central or something. And you know what else, if you're a drug fiend, guess what? You're gonna need tons of prozac just to survive these people. 'cause they depress the living hell outta you!
    So does anyone have a prescription for boringness? Hey, I already mentioned one by the way...

Tons of prozac! Lol.

1. profile image0
      MangoGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A curious attitude towards life might help. smile

2. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The above roughly translates as "I like me more than you".

1. profile image0

And that's a polite translation.

3. thinking out loud profile image39
      thinking out loudposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    4. thinking out loud profile image39
      thinking out loudposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  2. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

We're all boring to somebody, because we're all different; and everybody isn't going to find whoever/whatever we are interesting.  I think we need to appreciate, and even get a kick out of, our differences.  People who are not like us can make our days more interesting and fun.  If you're bored with someone's comments the only prescription is to move on to the next one.  I happen to love how everyone will come up with such a different variety of remarks on the same subject.

1. profile image0

It takes a world of differences to make a difference in our world. smile

3. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Pretty boring thread idea if you ask me. big_smile

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know I did my "civic duty" in offering a boring answer in preservation of a boring thread; but - hey - if it weren't for us, boring people, all the fascinating and exciting people wouldn't look quite as fascinating and exciting in contrast.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You beat me to it smile

1. Paper Moon profile image79
        Paper Moonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

cant be too boring if it got you in here.  Mind you, you could have come in with the intention of livening it up a bit.  Then again, at least the cat has an excuse, curiosity.

3. nicomp profile image61
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We have common ground.

4. C.S.Alexis profile image83
    C.S.Alexisposted 14 years ago

Ditto to Mark's reply!

5. profile image0

Everybody always falls in line with whatever the hell Mark says. I wouldn't be suprised if people start worshipping the guy around here. It never ceases to amuse me. Nobody ever has an opinion these days. What're you people? A bunch of zombies? And Mark is loving it, too. Who would blame the guy. He's a smart man.

6. profile image0

When are you gonna get tired of fooling around, Dude. Yes, we know you're a dude. But seriously though, you must have all the time in the world. What other screen names have you got?

7. profile image0

That's all. Keep worshipping, Ma.

8. profile image0

Very very stupid out of line comment.

9. Capable Woman profile image60
    Capable Womanposted 14 years ago

C'mon people, read some previous hubs of late initiated by fierycj.

The guy thinks there are sea monsters and unicorns in the Bible. He backs up his assertions with by quoting random Biblical passages that have nothing to do with anything. He thinks the devil wears a white fur coat with a hoody like some rap star.

He only started this thread because he's still steamed about the comments I made yesterday, where the best retort he could muster was that I was "boring". Bored was more like it, but as someone once said, you can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

I will give him this...he's good at rousing up the forum.

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Battle of wits, with you? Are you kidding me? Look at what you said, previous hubs of late. I'm sure you meant previous posts, not hubs. You're pretty stuck up on me, Capable. Wasting all that time reading my posts, huh. Lol. I'm having way too much fun. No, I don't think you're one of the boring people. Stupid, maybe. But definitely, not boring.

1. Capable Woman profile image60
        Capable Womanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...and there you go, folks. In case there was any remaining doubt.
        I guess I could stop egging him on...I do kinda feel like a bully (almost like someone who picks on the mentally challenged kids at school) but I truly am bored.

Anybody know if the Phils play tonight?

1. profile image0

I take back everything I said about you not being boring. You're stupid and boring as well. You really ought to give up on the jokes, Capable. Really. They're just no good.

That's the second time you've called me stupid now...you may need to take some of that Prozac you talk about. You seem to be getting really worked up today (I know, I know, you're from deep, dark Africa where the real s** goes down..blah blah).

Would you care to take an informal poll of the hub forum to see who folks think the stupid one is here?

No, of course you wouldn't. LOL smile

I'm out...where are the Phils???

1. profile image0

You crack me up, Capable. How old are you? Cos I mean, you're so dry. Phony too. So that makes three. Stupid, boring and phony. Keep revealing your love for me.

2. profile image0

You, a bully? What a laugh! Where I'm from we eat bullies for breakfast, and those are REALLY bullies. Not a lady stuck up on me, and yapping on a pc forum. Now thats a joke! Lol.

10. Miss Pink profile image61
    Miss Pinkposted 14 years ago

I know someone just like that! Even though he has nothing of importance to say, he still wastes my time by calling me up. I'm usually friendly, but even I don't feel like talking or sharing anything with him because all he does is complain about his boring and uninteresting life. And how it "wasn't supposed" to be that way.
    A prescription? Do what I do. Just ignore and avoid the bugger =  D

11. profile image0

No. I don't wanna delete it. I'm having a ball.  C'mon, gimme your other screen names. Don't be scared, fella.

12. profile image0

You and Capable are one of a kind, with your awfully boring and deadly phony remarks. But I get a kick out of you guys though. In a half-assed way, nonetheless.

13. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

OH, so much talent in dialogue-making, fierycj!  Why do you waste your time here and are not out making some films--I do wonder.

1. profile image0

Oh Lita,you're a goddess for saying that. I truly wonder myself too - about making the movies part, that is. I don't think its a waste of time being here. I've learnt a lot from a lot of people. Yes, even from the annoying ones. Its not a complete waste of time. But I'm not killing the movie aspirations. Not in a long short. My whole life is already like a friggin movie, no kidding. Lol.

1. Sufidreamer profile image79
        Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was on the crew of a low budget movie a few years back - sadly, it has yet to emerge from editing. Just a group of friends following a vision, and it was great fun. The guy reponsible for editing the movie later worked on the special effects for the Harry Potter and Narnia movies, so it can open a lot of doors.

Need to use all of your passion, drive and determination, though, as well as enlist friends to work for nothing! smile

1. Paraglider profile image88
          Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's all true. But it's something I can't get very excited about. I've never liked post-production. Live theatre though - that's the buzz.

2. profile image0

Did you really do that, Sufi. You're officially my man, from today henceforth. You know, its a coincidence. I did this wild thing years back as well. I've always wanted to be a director since forever, and I had just lost my sister and all. And then suddenly, I just went to my bank, withdrew virtually all that I had, called a couple of friends, and we went all over town playing hidden camera pranks on everyone, in streets, colleges, it was wild and crazy and childish, but terrible fun, too. And like yours, it never made it out of the editing room. I still watch my unedited cut every now and then just for laughs. Thanks, man.

http://www.rebelsindreamland.com/ - That was the history - Mark Tran-Tremble has worked on some pretty heavy duty films! It requires so much dedication, though - Simon spent over a year writing the script, and the planning took at least another year. Being constructive, if you want to do it, it needs to become your obsession.

I was the Location Manager, Health and Safety Officer and Best Boy big_smile

We used the Kevin Smith method of stealing the electricity from street lights lol

EDIT: Paraglider - with you on that one - the pre-production and planning was great fun, and the filming was an adrenaline-fuelled, sleepless ten days. Post production - a little dull.

1. profile image0

Lol. That's a good one. I'm crazy about making movies. And I will too, no kidding. Won't be fulfilled till I do it, thats for sure. A movie thats so off the wall, and weird, and funny, and mad as hell. I mean, as hell.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guerilla-Film-M … amp;sr=1-1

Quite a big and daunting book, but full of information - every independent film-maker has a copy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerks#Production

Well worth looking at the films and life of Kevin Smith - he is an inspiration to low budget film producers!

2. Paper Moon profile image79
            Paper Moonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have always wanted to make movies.  Do not have a camera or enough $$$ for a serious computer editing program, but I love to make my stupid shorts using still shots and (sad attempts) animating them.  They are not so good but a great way to pass the time.  I think I would love the editing process too.  Ahhh, if only I could get a good dig video cam.

1. profile image0

I'm glad you filmmakers are finally coming out of your shells. You all had me wondering there for a while. But Paper, dont think your cuts are sad. They could be the building blocks to your Oscar potential feature. I would like to see your cuts, for real.

2. Sufidreamer profile image79

You can hire all of the stuff that you need, from cameras and sound-booms down to clapper boards. The only problem is, if you only have them for a short while, you need to hit the ground running, hence the meticulous preparation. Even a Hi-8 can shoot a good movie, if you are creative enough smile

If you are just going for shorts, you may well be able to find some open source software that will fit the purpose. Worth a look at download.com. I suspect that you need a Mac with Firewire port smile

fierycj - http://hubpages.com/hub/Greek-letters-a … habet-song

Includes one of Papermoon's videos - very funny.

My exposure to film-making was brief, and I am no expert, but I do know one thing. If you are serious, you need to live and breathe your film 24/7, 365 days per year - finish your day job and go straight onto mastering your craft and preparing.

Selling the idea to your friends is also good - if you can sign up electricians, artists, make-up artists and even good cooks, you can make it happen!

1. profile image0

I happen to agree with everything you're saying. You have no idea how I've been saving up for a movie project. And as for living the dream...not only do I live the dream, its where I have my entire being. Gosh, I can't even explain it. Whenever I watch a really good movie, I get slain, and reborn. I cant explain it, but thats the way it is.

14. Cris A profile image59
    Cris Aposted 14 years ago

Sleep is my ultimate cure for boredom. I mean, why prolong the agony? cool

1. profile image0

You're absolutely right. Why stick it out? Just catch the old shut eye. I can tell right away you're a smart guy.

15. Cris A profile image59
    Cris Aposted 14 years ago

You seem to be interested in filmmaking. You might want to check out this hubber I fanned who actually worked with Kubrick. If I remember his hubber name cool

1. profile image0

Stanley K was the man! Gimme the hook up, please.

1. Cris A profile image59
        Cris Aposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Okay, but I need to look him up in my "fanned" hubbers as his name momentarily eludes me. Will be back cool

16. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Life is too interesting to be boring.  Try working with the public and you will hear many interesting stories.

1. profile image0

I'm sure you're right, Sweetiepie. In fact, I know you're right.

17. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I don't get why the need to be cruel and judge others who don't meet your *standards* hmm nor why they are such a problem

1. profile image0

C'mon Dame, this isn't about anyone's standards. I'm a nice guy really. Why not just get to know me. I don't mean to be cruel or anything.

18. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I never knew boringness was a word, lololo but a cure for being bored would be writing more questions like this as they are certain to tickle our bottoms and make us respond to them. big_smile

1. profile image0

You're the bomb, Aevans.

2. profile image0

I think he actually used it instead of boredom, because he is not trying to find a cure for being bored, but for people who are boring. From this perspective it made sense to me. The question is can we make up words that make sense like Chaucer did? Many of his words never really got into use, but many have.

19. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

My momma used to say

Only boring people get bored

Quite right. Being boring oneself as well as inarticulate and deluded no doubt exacerbates the situation.

I can't put it all on fierycj though...I'm as guilty too, as I confess to mad boredom today which has led to an unexplained and uncharacteristic desire to harass the weak.

Sorry, forum. Does anyone have a copy of Lord of the Flies?

2. cashmere profile image78
      cashmereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So true. If you want to stay entertained by others you are probably very boring...

20. raiderfan profile image60
    raiderfanposted 14 years ago

beer

21. My Inner Jew profile image61
    My Inner Jewposted 14 years ago

yeah have friends that love to prank the living day lights out of you!  There will never be a dull moment...

1. Dame Scribe profile image56
      Dame Scribeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Shhh...my sons always on the prowl for mischief hmm tongue lol lol

22. ratcliffe07 profile image62
    ratcliffe07posted 14 years ago

You can find friends like these that will scare the living day lights out of you, then you will have lots to talk about
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Criminals

23. profile image0

Stupid, boring, dry, and phony. Unexplained and uncharacteristic desire...? GIRL, admit it. YOU LOVE ME. Can't get enough of me.

24. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I am never bored...what is that word?.....I can always can find some-way to entertain myself, plus am always getting people knocking on the door,there goes the quiet time.
    What it is you see is boring people don't really like other people, therefore make no effort to talk a lot,so they never learn anything, get to think a lot and no-one really wants to talk to them.
    When you like people you get enthusiastic you see,and it bubbles out, some-times in extreme amounts like myself...ROFL

25. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Key Lime Pie works for me! big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)