Anyone "Cheat" to get lots of views?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (22 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I know the story - quality content, aged hubs, backlinks get you views.

However I learnt awhile back that if you "jump on a bandwagon" you can get views too. Feel free to steal these ideas if you want - good for starting out at least.

-Julia Gillard's earlobes after the election (700 views in first 24 hours) (news event)
    -Guides to newly released facebook applications (two I jumped on early and did in depth guides to started getting 200 views a day fairly fast)

Yes, everyone says do evergreen hubs - but in my opinion there's nothing wrong with going for a few subjects that are either short term or may only have a year or two of serious views. Yes I have hubs that are slowly "maturing" and getting traffic over time, but the type listed above are great for an extra addon amount of traffic.

Anyone else "jump on the bandwagon" often?

1. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I usually try and beat the bandwagon on at least two or three news stories a month.  Usually one of the articles I publish in that month will get to the top for that keyword, and while the traffic is rarely evergreen, it does provide me with a few free backlinks from some domains I previously did not have a link from.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I tried - and found it not worth the effort, even on hubs - let alone your own site with less authority. YMMV of course. smile

3. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

"trending" works best with social networks and CPA programs

often by the time an actual website or hubpage is indexed and done dancing the trend is over

advertisers dont have time to react to the trend ..so once agin, best if you have access to brainless ad programs - surveys and other lead generation crap.

I see you mention views ...views are not so hard to come by - conversions is the goal - most trends dont have searchers with the right mindset

..You could hit one though that turns into a long time event and find yourself on top of the wave

im with Misha..its too much of a crap shoot - I wouldn't write either of the topics mentioned -

WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've found facebook games are a great trend in particular - the traffic does convert to clicks and games usually increase in users over time...

1. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I cant knock, i havent tried it.

I know if I got into Farmville or Mafia Wars early on I would have been happy.

i should amend my statement anyway - I do "trend" but - i gamble 6 months ahead of time - to get an early hold on flash in the pan terms that i think are worth the time investiture.

I sold a lot of avatar dvds when they came out - i published the pages that converted those sales 3 months before the film hit the big screen

i was first page for less than a week - But, as you might imagine - that was more than enough to make up for my time investment -

you got to gamble sometimes!

But the practice of following todays google trends or anything quite so well known is saturated and short lived ..as you dint mention that specifically, i shouldnt have assumed taht as a source

No I don't use google trends or anything that obvious. But I do try and get in early on games - frontierville I wrote a guide for about 4 days after it came out and it's taken off well, lol.

1. Pcunix profile image90
            Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just couldn't do it.  I have zero interest in games (well, I like Scrabble, but that is about it).

If you told me I could earn $10,000 a day writing about games, I would just shrug my shoulders.  You might as well tell me that there is great money in leading excursions to Jupiter. 

Let's say that I forced myself to write about gaming.  It is unlikely I could do it well, because I have no passion.  But let us pretend I could do it well enough to earn a living.

Why would I want to spend my life toiling away at something I dislike?  I say you should find what you love and do that. 

Some people can write about anything and be happy doing it.  They are lucky because they can set out to write about games or whatever else might make money and enjoy it.   

I can't.  I wish I could.

I write game guides because well... It makes me feel less guilty about playing them. big_smile I'm doing "research." lol!

nothing wrong with that, I had a WoW guide site that earned me a steady £5 a day for a long time.  It is still earning a little and gets me around 200 visitors a day, even though I haven't really updated it in nearly 2 years. Its a shame I stopped playing to be honest, that was a nice fun lil earner!

Yes I admit... I've done a couple of WoW hubs.

Hubby and I are planning to take holidays for the Cataclysm release when we get exact dates.

Now THAT'S nerdy! big_smile

very tongue

2. alternate poet profile image68
                  alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Oli  -  don't these kind of short term things get you views across to your other stuff though ?  ie generally help increase traffic in other of your places that is harder to 'count" ?

My WoW Site was not a short term thing, a lot of effort and research went in to that site, but it definitely paid off.  I am thinking about reviving that site, but it would be a lot of work, I know the potential is therefore it to be a big earner gain, I just don't have the free time!

2. Paula Andrea, MA profile image81
              Paula Andrea, MAposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Again, I have to agree with you. I only write about subjects because I am passionate for the words voiced. IF I was ever to make any money from the writngs, that would be an added benefit.  But, as for the interim, I will continue to write what I love and love what I write.  It's sort of like doing what makes you happy since that's the best{most pleasurable} thing going.

Best to all...

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Isn't that the point, though?  With those games, it's not like you're trying to grab the current headlines and the Hub will be old news in six months' time. You want to ride a wave now, but people will still be looking for information on it down the track, so you get a double whammy.

True. I just wish I'd been on HP to jump on the farmville bandwagon!

However I think some games are quickly forgotten, and even some of the most popular are starting to wind down so they aren't really evergreen hubs, per se.

4. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

If I have something I feel I have to say, yes.

I don't write anything for any reason other than communicating with my readers.

Let's stop there because that's the kind of statement that sometimes causes people to get pissy.   

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH WRITING  WITH COMMERCIAL INTENT FIRST AND FOREMOST IN YOUR MIND.

That's just never been my first goal.   Now, once I have the urge or itch to write about xyz, I absolutely am going to give some thought to how I might use xyz to drive traffic to somewhere that I might make some money.  The commercial intent is definitely there, but if there is nothing in xyz that can possibly be related to anything with $$$$ in it, I am still going to write about xyz.

The funny thing is that sometimes the xyz ends up making some money anyway in ways I just didn't foresee happening.   And sometimes it doesn't:  I wrote a lot about Google Wave and they just killed it dead :-)

I hope that makes sense and it doesn't get somebody all twisted up for the wrong reasons.

5. Spacey Gracey profile image38
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

I'm sure I've mentioned it before but I wrote a hub on Vuvuzela during half-time of the first World Cup match. It got 400 views in the first 24 hours. It converted well. It took me 15 mins to write and publish and promote.

I'm not going to make a living off of writing those sorts of hubs, but nor am I going to stare a blatant opportunity in the face and walk away - I am an opportunist. I'm sure there will be more.

6. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I was taking things like this to be for example, a write up of the world cup final, a new web browser release, etc.

Yes they were examples. There's a few other "bandwagons" I've jumped on. smile

7. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

I've done things LIKE this, but they've usually had at least some lasting value after the fact.  It is amazing what the write keywords will bring in if you time it right.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)