I am going to be interviewed by BBC radio tomorrow - wish me luck!

Jump to Last Post 1-44 of 44 discussions (80 posts)
  1. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

I feel very nervous.  As a social landlord, the BBC want my views in ways of improving and encouraging other social landlords to home homeless people.  It is a big deal to me as I am passionate about the homeless issue.

Please support me by putting out some lovely vibes to help me through this (it would be even better if thoughts were put out for additional funding to help me help even more homeless people!).  I believe in the power of positive thought and hoped the HP community will help me here.

Shaz x

*spread the love*

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

wow, this is good news. good luck to you shaz.  i hope it goes well for you.  you should definitely write a hub about your experience afterwards. smile

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I will Steve - things are changing for me in a big way!  Watch this space!!

Thanks for your wishes x

2. tritrain profile image70
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Say 'hi' to Mom!!!

1. profile image0

lol - I would like to get in a plug for my article at hubpages, so fingers crossed!

3. donkeyz1 profile image60
      donkeyz1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good luck!!!!!!

2. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Good luck Shaz!

Such a good cause....been homeless myself in the past, although for 3 weeks it was a nightmare....!

1. profile image0

Very kind of you Wayne - I know your application will go well too x

3. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Best Wishes to you. I am sure that since the topic is near and dear to you the interview will be a rousing success.

4. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

You'll do great.  Have fun!

5. RogerAD profile image58
    RogerADposted 13 years ago

Thats awesome! I am from the states, but I enjoy listening to BBC News when it comes on the public radio station. This is a super important topic and I often feel that there are a lot more things we could do to prevent homelessness.

6. profile image0
    Whikatposted 13 years ago

Sending you much positive energy for both your nerves and funding. You will do great, because it is one of your passions to help others!

7. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 13 years ago

which channel shaz, i want to listen in  and support you....jimmy

1. profile image0

It is bbc somerset - you can pick it up on the morning show, streaming internet if you are in scotland.

8. seanorjohn profile image70
    seanorjohnposted 13 years ago

Brilliant. It will go well and it couldn't come at a better time. The cuts by this scandalous Government have left even more people exposed to homelessness.Positive energy beamed from the north of England.

1. profile image0

Fantastic - this is one of the reasons they have picked me as a guest!  Check out my hub on affordable housing - how to get those magic points.  The story in the hub is how I have been chosen to guest... by helping others getting their point across.

1. seanorjohn profile image70
        seanorjohnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I will check it out. But we are all proud of you for standing up for the homeless. You are a star and will shine on radio. We are all with you. You will have prayers and positive vibes from around the world. Your mission is great.

9. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

How exciting, shaz!  I'll try to listen-is it a live feed?

1. profile image0

Yes lorlie - live feed and listen back bbc somerset

Thanks for your support!

10. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

You're going to do great!

11. wordscribe43 profile image91
    wordscribe43posted 13 years ago

How cool, Shazzy!!!!  You will be great.  Let us know how it goes.

12. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

very cool, shaz. such an important topic. I'm sure you'll do very well.  can we listen too?  BBC reaches such a vast, diverse audience. keep us posted!

13. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

Great news Shaz!! And best of luck for the interview and this great cause you are working on. I hope you share the video with us.

1. profile image0

It is radio Ultimate! lol

Thanks my friend!

14. schoolgirlforreal profile image80
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

Good work! Standing up for anyone's right who is "helpless and poor" is praiseworthy!

I pray you will write a good speech etc

Good luck!

15. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

How exciting!  I'm sure you'll be passionate and eloquent.

1. profile image0

Thank you Maddie - I will try and get a hubpages plug in there (only to benefit the listeners, of course!).

16. Spacey Gracey profile image40
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Good luck - should be interesting. I was watching a piece on bad landlords yesterday on the BBC so I will be interested in seeing something a little more balanced.

What channel are you going to be on so I can set the Sky+

17. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Good luck Shazwellyn. I hope things turn out for the best. smile

18. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

Good luck to Shaz- hope it goes well- have i missed what time it's on, can you remind me i'll listen to it.

19. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

good luck

I am a private landlord- just let a house to a heavily pregnant lady with no deposit and no rent- shes nice and in a jam so if i do it then surely the social housing people can do it.
    If my lady cannot get enough housing benefit i will have to settle for what she can get

1. profile image0

This is precisely what I want to put over... the fact that most private landlords will not take these people on because they are high risk and it is a problem with the benefits system and not the housing situation.

I will write a hub about it with all the key points - it might help.  I try and get my tenants to move on to more secure housing, so as I can help another (there are so many !).

20. Denise Handlon profile image87
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

Shaz--Positive thoughts sent to you from NC.  Wow! what a cool experience.  smile  You'll be great!

1. profile image0

*butterflies* Denise smile

21. profile image0

Gee, the pressures on with you guys listening! lol  They took snippets/teasers today.  Tomorrow, I am booked in for 8.52 BBC Somerset radio - I was told that this could change though. You can stream it and remember Im from the UK, so remember gmt.

I have made a few notes - radio can be a bit fast, but want to keep my head on track for the task in hand. 

Thank you everyone for your support - it really is appreciated smile

Im off to have an early night - want to be fresh thinking!

22. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Good luck Shaz, you can do it for sure..

23. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Just imagine all of the listeners being naked!  No wait, that only works when speaking before a live audience!

Good Luck!

1. Druid Dude profile image61
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've heard those BBC people are a decent sort. You'll be fine. Now, if it was A New Scotland Yard interveiw, then you might need luck!

24. snakebaby profile image64
    snakebabyposted 13 years ago

Best of luck! Radio interview should be less nervous than TV interview, I assume, hehe

25. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

Oh Shaz..that's fantastic.  I must congratulate you on all your noble efforts.  We need more compassionate people like you to help those who have fallen on hard times.  You go girl!

Don't worry about who's listening.  If you know your subject well, and I'm sure you do, it'll be a piece of cake.  Just concentrate on what you know, and you'll be fine.

Can't wait to hear how it went, or listen to it online later.

Yay Shaz!

26. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 13 years ago

You go girl
    You'll be great wink

Can you post us a link to the interview after? I'd love to hear it

1. Pcunix profile image92
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, if it is available, that would be great.

27. Nell Rose profile image88
    Nell Roseposted 13 years ago

Hi, good luck! you will be great!

28. Kidgas profile image64
    Kidgasposted 13 years ago

Best of luck to you.  I am sure that you will do wonderfully.

29. profile image0

I did ok. smile  Thanks to everyone for your support - glasses up for more to come!

1. CASE1WORKER profile image62
      CASE1WORKERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

well done- lets hope its done some good

1. profile image0

I have a feeling this will be one of many. 

If the government want to encourage the private sector to take on homeless people, then they have to change the administration - housing benefit, advanced deposit and rent schemes.  Private landlords dont want to have to keep chasing and having problems as soon as the tenant reports a change of circumstance.  This is the main reason why you see 'to let' ads with 'no dss'.

I deliberately write 'dss welcome' and I make sure that the property is in good order before they move in - no second grade, just as would be if letting to 'working' people.  Why should social security people have less than anyone else?  Everyone needs a chance in life to make good and that starts with HOUSING!

In my last ad, I received 40 responses - I just don't have enough property to help.  If I won the lottery - every penny would go on buying property and homing these people.  This is my wish.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
          kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Shaz - my hats off to you! You are a shining example of compassion and humanity in doing this! I only wish more were like you. People like you give me hope for humanity! *hugs*

1. profile image0

Anyone can look into their hearts and know what is good - we can all help to change things, it is just about changing ones perspective of reality, feeling joy and sharing this.  For example ... Instead of thinking anti war, campaign for peace!  Instead of control, think in terms of empowerment.  We can all do this - we can all share the love!

Too true! I like to think that even the smallest kindnesses shown can make the biggest differences to everything, from single individuals to the global state of life.

A while back I was stressed and tired and running impossible errands. I know I must have had stress lines creasing my brow and I was absorbed in griping to myself about everything bad under the sun. This rasta looking mail man saw me and gave me the biggest smile and told me to have a wonderful day. It was one small comment and it totally changed my mood around, I was unable to feel stressed and such in the face of such a warm smile and genuine well wish from a stranger. I actually thanked him, told him that I really had needed his well wishes and was able to match his smile with one of my own. A small thing but it changed my mood, and the knock on effects may well have been that I was nicer to be around for hubby, making his day better, meaning when we were on the road he was not stressed driving thus making things better for everyone else on the road. The knock on effect smile

1. profile image0

That is the beauty of the law of attraction, my friend!  Positive thought can have an immediate effect that ripples throughout your life big_smile

Exactly! You know you are right this minute contributing to a more positive emotional state in me, as I feel like I am interacting with a real shining soul! And this is a welcome thing as I have some stuff going on in my life atm that could really get me down, except that I keep finding positive people to put the smile back on my face and keep me confident that this weirdness happening currently will work out for a greater good and will be one of those things that leads to bigger and better things in my life. Yesterday I had total strangers, young guys in a local uni actually, sit on a park bench next to me and we got to talking about how stress is a waste, life is too short for that stuff. It was one of those things where it was the right thing at the right moment to remind me that the world is full of wonderful people and things to be excited about. I will get through this current bit of weirdness and probably be better for it because I choose to be better big_smile

I love your vibe girl!

1. profile image0

You can create a life of joy - feel the joy, feel the excitement of what is going to unfold in front of you - it is an adventure and wisdom grows from every experience.  Just don't 'do' negative.  If people come into your life that are 'no' people, or they rebuff with anger and hate, place a barrier and repell them.  Ignore their negative behaviour - you will be amazed how they melt into the distance of your life.

When you identify people with conflict - wish them peace.
                    When you identfiy people with hatred - show them love
                    When you identify ungrateful people - be grateful and wish they learn gratitude.

If you want to be invisible, imagine you are invisible - it really works! 

But with every action, ask yourself... is this going to benefit others?

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
              rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like the way you think. sadly, we don't always hear about the people who make change with humanitarian efforts. good luck with your continued work with those in need.

glad to hear it went well.

1. profile image0

Many of us do things quietly, in our little way - it makes a difference wink - slowly but surely chipping away at the cause with love and peace.  You see, if you shout - you attract critism.. this can be negative and we dont want negative thought to counteract the good work that is done, do we?

We let the 'negatives' attract the negative, whilst the 'positives' attract the positive.  Leading by positive example has an effect, even in the smallest ways.  It might be, for example, that you might come into some money and instead of buying that Merc, you might use that money as a deposit for a house and home someone in need.  You, then would give someone the tools they need to turn their lives around.  How wonderful is that?!

3. profile image0
              Whikatposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am grateful to have met you Shaz, You really are a positive inspiration for many. I am sending out thoughts of your wish coming true of winning the lottery to help more homeless.

BTW, You do buy at least 1 lottery ticket right? tongue

1. profile image0

I am so, so grateful for your support.  Powerful positive thought makes all the difference in a world - I hope you can feel the love! x

2. Hmrjmr1 profile image69
      Hmrjmr1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Got here a little late Shaz Glad to read it went well and so proud of you for standing up in front of what you believe in! You do your fellow man a great service keep up the good work lass! Lots and lots of blessings and love from this side of the pond!

1. profile image0

You are an incredible man and I thank you x

30. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

Good for you Shaz on all counts.  I've only just seen this or I would've posted and given you some positive thoughts earlier.

1. profile image0

More is not enough - positive thoughts make good things happen smile  Thank you and I am grateful.

31. Denise Handlon profile image87
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

Happy to hear all went well--but, of course we knew it would!
    I wish that our country would take a more proactive stand for developing a housing system for the homeless. There is so many vacant buildings surely they should not be just sitting there empty.

1. profile image0

It is wonderful that you have this realisation.  Why not investigate further?  Maybe write an email to your local government, see if there is something in place that you could access to make good the accommodation.  Believe in your good intentions and you would be amazed at what unfolds!

32. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...good for you Shaz!

33. sandun81 profile image59
    sandun81posted 13 years ago

It seems you already did it and I'm late to wish you. Anyway keep up your good work. Any place to hear your interview online ?

34. Happyboomernurse profile image83
    Happyboomernurseposted 13 years ago

Hi Shazwellyn,
    Sorry I'm late. I just saw this. Glad the interview went well. You have a big open heart and great intentions and with your writing skills you will hopefully be able to help many. It's nice to see someone as compassionate as you are taking action.

1. profile image0

Little steps make great strides - I know you know this.  I know you have a special understanding - I dont have to say anymore, because you just know, dont you?!

35. raisingme profile image76
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

Congratulations both on your handling of the interview and for having the courage to make both yourself and the issue you have tackled known!  Heightening people's awareness is always a good thing!

36. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 13 years ago

congratulations to you and wish you the very best!!

37. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

I'm a bit late here too but more positivity from me! This is the way to go, Shaz!

38. MPG Narratives profile image60
    MPG Narrativesposted 13 years ago

Well done Shaz, as always you are putting your best efforts into a good cause. Looking forward to reading you hub about this experience. Glad to hear things are well. Cheers Marie x

1. profile image0

Marie, now I have Dan sorted out - I can focus on my own personal journey. I feel, it is to help make a difference - Im not sure how this is going to manifest, but manifest it will.  People need homes, if this is my work, then it will slot into place.  Funding will be made available.  Whatever, my life will unfold in a positive way and will help others make a difference too.  You have always been supportive and you are good at sharing the love!  Thanks, my friend x

@ Bard - we talk from the same book.  From my hill - the Tor - to your mountain in Tenerife - the the positive vibe reverb throughout the world. x

@Sofs - feed the positive fire! x

To everyone else - thank you all, I am grateful to know you - you touch my life x

39. pisean282311 profile image61
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

all the best shaz and do lets us know how it went...

40. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Awesome  smile

Don't forget to take a copy of recording so that we (non-UK hubbers) can listen to it later.

1. profile image0
      1. Pcunix profile image92
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It says Not Available.

41. lightofearth profile image58
    lightofearthposted 13 years ago

best of luck

42. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 13 years ago

I know from your hubs that you will do well...just relax and be yourself...good luck

43. profile image0
    markbennisposted 13 years ago

Congratulations shazwellyn sounds cool; I wish you the best of luck smile

44. Money Glitch profile image63
    Money Glitchposted 13 years ago

Hi Shaz, I'm just seeing this, however congratulations!
    http://i25.tinypic.com/29ql636.jpg

And it was very lovely to hear your voice. smilebig_smile
    I hope you will perhaps write a hub about your experience.
    Again congrats! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)