Wish me luck, not sure when I will be back :/

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 57 discussions (76 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I go into surgery tomorrow, they are going to rebuild my right eardrum. The doctors couldn't really tell me how long it is going to be before I can function properly again, possibly up to a month - maybe more.

I will be back on Hubpages as soon as I can function effectively enough again, although probably just to read comments and check my earnings. Maybe a few days, maybe a few weeks, maybe more.

I am dreading it, although I am sure that I will be fine. I will miss this place. I expect tonnes of great hubs to read by the time I am back!

Adios.

1. Kidgas profile image64
      Kidgasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wish you the best of luck, Ryan.  I hope you come through surgery with ease, don't have any nausea or vomiting, any complications afterward, and are feeling back at 100% as soon as possible.

2. profile image0
      AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I will be praying for a successful surgery to rebuild your right eardrum. Go in peace into this surgery. I wish you luck. May you have a fast and full recovery from this surgery.

3. lakeerieartists profile image63
      lakeerieartistsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well that really sucks, but if you have to do it, you have to do it.  Good luck, hope you get through it with relative ease, they give you good drugs for the pain, and you heal up real quick.  smile  Now if we could just figure out how to speak directly to the computer to write your hubs.

4. saleheensblog profile image60
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

come back soon, we will miss you, all my good thoughts for you.

5. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

omg, that's terrible. i had no idea you were going through something like.  well i hope the surgery goes well for you, and that you'll be able to hear properly very soon.  good luck to you, and you'll certainly be welcomed back upon your return.

6. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Best wishes on your immediate recovery. Go back asap!

7. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good Luck, surgery is pretty safe nowadays, although if you feel that you might want to bequith your Hubs to someone just in case... big_smile tongue

8. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ryankett - Good luck mate! Sounds unpleasant so I hope everything goes real smooth for ya. Here is to a speedy recovery big_smile

9. profile image0
      Richard Stephenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Best wishes Ryan!  I'm sure the surgery will go smoothly and you will be back at the keyboard quickly.  The number of people responding to your post says a lot about how well you are thought of here on HubPages.  We'll miss you.

10. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good luck and a speedy recovery smile

2. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

We'll be thinking of you Ryan. Best wishes, and let us know how you're doing.

3. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Good luck Ryankett. smile

4. profile image0
    Whikatposted 13 years ago

Hi Ryan,
    Good luck, and a wish for a speedy and painless recovery. Looking forward to the stories when you return. Take care smile

5. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Good luck and hope all goes well!!!

Just remember - the doctor isn't always right, it's your body and you know it. (The only piece of advice I have from being in hospital way too many times.)

See you in a few days or weeks, and hopefully your earnings just keep going sky high in the mean time!

6. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

much luck and be sure to rest so you can heal..big_smile

7. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Yes good luck Ryan...I had eye surgery awhile back...bloody eye lash got caught in my eye, had to get the tweezers on it!

Er...being serious, hope all goes well!

8. europewalker profile image80
    europewalkerposted 13 years ago

Hope all goes well, you will be missed.

9. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Best wishes from me too Ryan. smile

10. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I will be thinking of you, Ryan.  Best wishes on the surgery and a speedy recovery.  It won't be the same without you here - please keep us informed.

11. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

Hope all goes well - and all your nurses are pretty ones, male or female depending on . . .

12. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

we'll miss you Ryan. sending you warm wishes for a smooth surgery and speedy recovery. take care and rest. will be thinking of you tomorrow!  smile

13. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 13 years ago

Good luck and heal quickly.

14. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

Good luck Ryan, I'm sure it will all be fine smile

15. Mutiny92 profile image63
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

good luck!  And hurry back!

16. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

we'll send you some nice healing vibes and good luck to you - hope all goes perfectly!

17. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

When you get out from surgery, just make sure you rest easy Ryan. Preferably have someone else or a taxi get you home. Inner ear surgery plays havoc on your sense of balance.

Oh, and don't try to move to fast either big_smile

Good luck.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry Jase, I have arranged for a pick up!

I expect to feel highly disorientated for at least a few weeks, and suspect that any foray onto this site will be undertaken on a laptop whilst lying flat on my back on my bed!

As soon as I am able, I will report back!

1. Mutiny92 profile image63
        Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

as he's thinking about a hub on inner ear reconstruction or nurse uniforms....

1. waynet profile image70
          waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd like the nurse uniforms ones! lol!

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
            Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ryan on his convalescence may write a hub on nurses uniforms.......just in time for Halloween Amazon sales lol

2. blondepoet profile image67
            blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Geez what would be making him think of nurses?

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f259/bnharrel/nurse.jpg

1. waynet profile image70
              waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ding dong!!

18. profile image0

Many thanks everybody, means a lot.

19. bayoulady profile image68
    bayouladyposted 13 years ago

We'll miss you!I'm sure your surgery will go okay!I have  a feeling you'll be back in the forums as quick as a fox!

20. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

Look forward to seeing you bounce back with flying colours

1. sofs profile image75
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wish you the very best,  get well soon , wish you a speedy recovery.
      God bless!

21. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Good luck Ryan with the surgery and wishing you a full and speedy recovery!

22. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

Ryan, I'll be praying for you. We will ALL be praying for you!!! (including Earnest, Mark Knowles, Cagsil and Beelzedad.) You'll be back in no time, brother!!! Wish you a speedy-Gonzalez recovery! smile All the best!

23. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Forays onto Hub Pages whilst lying flat on your back using a laptop = sounds perfectly reasonable to me! I do that all the time big_smile.
    Seriously, Ryan. We all will keep you in our prayers and will eagerly await your return -- including a detailed hub (or series) chronicling your surgery and play-by-play on the recovery. For those of us unfortunates in the US, I bet we could learn a lot about how the British healthcare system REALLY works!
    Good luck and think positive.
    MM

24. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Thank goodness she is in the UK. She will get whatever she needs in the way of care.
    The system works, despite it's being free. smile

25. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Good luck with your surgery Ryan. I am sure it will be fine. Hope it does not take you to long to get back into the swing of things, you will be missed.

26. Mike Lickteig profile image76
    Mike Lickteigposted 13 years ago

Good luck with your surgery.  I hope everything goes perfectly for you.  Take care of yourself.

27. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

Ryan, perhaps jamming that sharp pencil in your ear to scratch the itch wasn't such a good idea....

No really, on a serious note, I'll be thinking of you and sending all best vibes and good thoughts your way. Hope you recover well enough to hurry back.

28. KCC Big Country profile image86
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Good luck with your surgery! I give you 3 days and you'll be back at it.  The burning desire to be on HubPages will far outweigh any discomfort from the surgery I'm sure.  LOL  Take it easy, get plenty of rest so that you can heal properly.

29. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

good luck, you are braver than me!
    as someone else said, watch the balance, you could be all over the place for a bit .

30. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Good Luck mate..
    You have to really take care of your ears hmm
    It is prudent not to stick anything bar your elbow in them smile
    So I assume the surgeon has told you to not beat your own drum for at least 6-8 weeks afterwards hmm smile

31. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

Good luck Ryan - hope everything goes smoothly.

32. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 13 years ago

Best of luck Ryan and plenty of positive thoughts from this thread heading your way.

33. LaMamaLoli profile image61
    LaMamaLoliposted 13 years ago

Good Luck! Am sure it will go well and you will be back real soon.

34. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Good luck Ryan, Take Care.

Up-vote.

35. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

Hope you recover quickly and hurry back before we have RK withdrawals. smile you'll be in our thoughts.

36. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Good luck Ryan, don't push your recovery too hard and start working again too fast. Relax and let yourself heal

37. A la carte profile image60
    A la carteposted 13 years ago

Hope I am not too late in wishing you all the best:)

38. Spacey Gracey profile image39
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Hi Ryan - sorry I missed this thread last night. I hope all goes well today. Let me know how it went - my son's ENT has talked about doing this but I have never known anyone who has had it done.

Fingers crossed for good results.

39. viryabo profile image94
    viryaboposted 13 years ago

I wish you all the best Ryan. Goodluck with your surgery.

There are positive thoughts and prayers for you from us hubbers, so i know all will be well with you.

GodBless. smile

40. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

Best wishes, Ryan!  My thought will be with you.  Ear surgery can't be fun and I'm sure your equilibrium will be off for a while, hopefully not too long.  I hope the surgery is successful and I'm sure I can speak for all of us here in saying that we'll miss you in your absense.

My thought will be with you.  I suspect we'll be hearing from you pretty soon!

41. PegCole17 profile image94
    PegCole17posted 13 years ago

Hoping for your fast and complete recovery. Many prayers for a complete healing. Hurry back.

42. ns1209 profile image64
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

Good luck - hope it all goes OK!

43. profile image0

Thank you everybody for your kind messages, I managed to read many of them prior to my surgery via my BlackBerry.

The operation was a success apparently, although there is tonnes of bandages and irodine or something in my ear... and it has swelled up to twice its size.

I actually feel suprisingly normal today, although suspect that once the drugs have fully worn off I will have plenty of suffering left to do. Lots of stitches behind my ear, although apparently they dissolve hmm

I go back in two weeks for them to take all the stuff out of my ear, and to check its all ok etc, I guess that at this point I will find out whether I need a hearing aid or whether my hearing has improved enough not to need one.

Hospital was a very surreal experience for me, being put to sleep particularly. But I am very lucky to live near to one of this countries best hospitals, the whole experience was very impressive, the staff were great, and there were loads of them. I spent the whole of yesterday afternoon in a highly confused state, making no sense, and trying to escape for a cigarette at one stage (note to self: do not try and do anything whilst still clearly pumped full of aneasthetic).

My only grumble was the food, but all well and good, they have a budget and they have to provide a good level of care within that budget... if somebody wants a full English breakfast then they can pay for it!

Anyway, I still wont be around for a few days I suspect. The morphine is still propping me up I think... Just wanted to say thanks to all.

1. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Glad it worked out okay, hospital food is definitely on the poor side, but the care is excellent, I was in theatre last year, and it was kind of a surreal experience, goodbye dignity!

I am definitely missing the NHS though, darent go play soccer at the moment because of the risk of medical bills.

44. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

well done and good luck          -  I said WELL DONE AND GOOD LUCK       -  Oh, never mind.

Hope you keep comfortable while you are wrapped up  - and good luck.

45. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

Glad that it all went well - the gift of three points last Saturday must have helped smile

You should write a few hubs while you are on the morphine - they could be surreal comedy gold big_smile

46. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Any morphine fueled hubs yet?
    Could be interesting lol

47. KevCC profile image73
    KevCCposted 13 years ago

Good to hear (get it?) you're over the surgery and hope you'll be fit and well soon.

48. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

In and among I missed this Ryan. I'm glad to hear you're over the op, in recovery and recovering well. You'll soon be back on form - get well soon! smile

49. puter_dr profile image90
    puter_drposted 13 years ago

Glad to hear the surgery went well.
    Look forward to seeing you back at full health.

50. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

Very happy to hear (pun intended!) that all went well.  I knew you couldn't stay away from here for long - I just got an email notification that you published a hub, so I came straight over to the forums as I knew you must have posted an update!

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am struggling! That hub was actually almost finished pre-surgery wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)