Google changing their search again- ahhhhhh!!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (58 posts)
  1. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 12 years ago

Just released yesterday - Google is now going to change it up again. As if the Panda slap wasn't enough here we go again.

"In a change that's been called the "most radical transformation ever" to Google's search engine, the Mountain View, California, company on Tuesday announced an update called "Search, plus Your World," (from the CNN article)

Link here to Google about it: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/ … world.html

The CNN article on it: http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/10/tech/web/ … hpt=hp_bn6

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like they are really trying to push their Google+ agenda.  Scares the heck outta me!

2. cardelean profile image86
      cardeleanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting.  I just quickly glanced through the blog post and it seems to me like it's a big plug for Google+.  The first stuff they mentioned about personal information searches I don't really get.  If I want to know about a friend's vacation experience, I'll just ask, I don't need to do a Google search for that.

Probably just more bots incapable of determining the actual worth of the written word.  Just what we need, more inhumanity to man!  yikes

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
        FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I am not sure I understand that aspect either.

3. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My thoughts on this will go against grain here. Google has expanded our whole internet experience on various levels.  Untold amount of levels. Things people take for granted.  Google did not become what they are, nor offer all they offer by trying to stumble the efforts of what people share online.  Just the opposite, they have gone out of their way to make things easier.  I go back to the beginning of the internet, and I will tell you that Google has been one of the largest and most positive aspects of the web as we know it today. So there you have it... No complaints by this author, web site owner and online surfer! smile

Microsoft had a few innovations too.  It didn't protect them from the monopoly charges and Google will hopefully be treated the same way.  I don't care how thoughtful and caring a company is, I don't want it to be the only option as far as choices are concerned.

Besides, they tend to give their own subsidiaries a break while others suffer through their actions.  So why do they need a reminder to "do no evil" in their main headquarters?

4. Anurag2008 profile image93
      Anurag2008posted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Google just made Bing the best Search Engine" http://gizmodo.com/5875571/google-just- … rch-engine
      big_smile

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Well, it should be interesting to see what happens now. hmm

1. cardelean profile image86

Cags, are you stalking me?  big_smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well you're pretty enough. lol wink

1. cardelean profile image86

Awww aren't you kind! smile

3. David 470 profile image81
    David 470posted 12 years ago

Oh boy, maybe this is why my traffic is going down and my CPM is lower. Google is doing another tweak...

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I read a different article and it gave the impression that Hubpages won't be affected, but anything you post on Facebook, Twitter etc will no longer be private, but available if anyone does a Google search on you. That and anything else you write on the web will show up with a search.

1. Danette Watt profile image81
        Danette Wattposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nothing is private on the Internet - we just like to think it is

2. David 470 profile image81
        David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wait, you mean if I post a hub on facebook etc. a random person can find out who I am? I'm not sure if I like that idea or not.

4. freelanceauthor profile image59
    freelanceauthorposted 12 years ago

Thanks for the update. This will change everything and all the SEO efforts done in the past are wasted

1. Dorothee-Gy profile image65
      Dorothee-Gyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's what I was worried about. Seems like a giant cat-and-mouse game, and I hate being the mouse...

2. Garrett Mickley profile image78
      Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's not true at all. Not even a little.

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

As far as I understand, in order to see these kind of search results, the user has to be logged into their Google account. The personal results can also be turned off. It's definitely going deeper with the Google+ feature, but not everyone has Google+, and not everyone is going to want the clutter on a search.

This is from Matt Cutts blog, http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/
    Be sure to click on the first link (reading a lot) in the article for more info.

1. brittanytodd profile image88
      brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  I think a ton of people aren't even using Google+, so seeing what few people are posting there (as opposed to Facebook) will not be that helpful.  I suspect it will have some affect on our traffic, but not as much as some people think.

It means that if their friends don't have a post about what they are searching for, they will have to see the normal Google results.

But FB and Twitter may not always be around if Google has their way.  Remember MySpace?  Google+ is intended to replace any contenders and will do so if Big G has anything to do with it.  Wake up folks, big business has no loyalties to anyone but themselves.

Yeah, I agree.  However, a ton of my friends are not doing Google+.  They think it is really hard to work and now it is a ghost town of users that signed up and didn't visit again once they realized nothing was going on.  Other than my hubber-friends, I don't see many of the people I know using Google+ actively.

Google+ also doesn't allow people under a certain age to join, so I feel like my educational writing hubs won't be affected by the change.  There are other topics that would also get a ton of traffic from young searchers too.  So, I think that even though this switch may have some affect, it will not be as big as Panda.

Plus, how many of your friends have posted the information that your hub contains?

And to add to that, I think that it may boost traffic for those who are on Google+ and have a bunch of friends.  It may be a way to get our articles seen by those who aren't as active on G+, but have an account and are searching on Google.  We all just have to remember to share others' work as much as we do our own.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

I rarely use any of these social sites other than to post an occasional hub or to check out a notification so I really don't care if they all go belly up.  But that's just me.  I do know there are masses of folks who spend large amounts of time chatting with others, so it's not too easy to dismiss the appeal these sites exert on others.

I don't know how many of my friends have posted my hub links or info there and really don't care.

What I meant by friends posting the info you can find in your hubs was that if I was searching for a cupcake recipe, I would more likely come across an article or hub, rather than seeing a post by a friend on Google+.  So again, it shouldn't affect our traffic as long as we write hubs with useful content that is unique and detailed.

6. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Even scarier than I suspected.  When is this giant going to finally be slayed?

7. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Mine's still up, and has been steadily increasing (slowly) for a while....but whatever.  I don't mind being sandboxed or "in testing" again here, it gives me a chance to work on other sites.

1. Garrett Mickley profile image78

I've only been going up since I joined a few years ago.  Panda never hurt me and so far neither has this (may be too early to tell, though).

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I definitely experienced a "sandbox" or "slap" or something that lasted about one to two months, and this was last September/October.

I don't know if it's related, but at one point around that time I'd went and deleted every last RSS Feed from my hubs as I'd read what I still think was good advice concerning those capsules being viewed as "duplicate content" - the advice was a hub by Ryan Kett.

In any case - I'd sunk to a mere fifty hits per day from Google.com, or even less on some days.

Currently, I some days reach new highs of traffic from Google.com; so I'm happy at present with my traffic, and it seems like if I keep doing things the way that I've been doing them that it's just going to continue growing...slowly, but steadily.

I'm also trying hard to be an optimist,as there seems to be no point in the other mind sets.

8. secularist10 profile image59
    secularist10posted 12 years ago

Ugh. What a bunch of crap. Can't people manage to tear themselves away from their precious "social network" for half a minute anymore? No, every damn insignificant thing in your boring daily routine has to be a front page headline for each human you have spoken to in the last 5 years.

I wonder what some people would do if they weren't continuously liked and voted up by their peers.

This certainly is a radical change, and it may well be the beginning of the end of Google as we know it. The whole point of Google--the whole reason it distinguished itself from its competitors early on--was that it provided the most accurate, unbiased information available. Unfortunately, Google has been slipping in that area for a while now, and this may be the nail in the coffin. Who is going to care about real information anymore when they can just comfortably float within their little echo chamber bubble?

It's yet another lurch in modern culture along the "infotainment" spectrum away from info, and towards entertainment and emotions.

As for its effect on ad earnings, well I'm sure like Panda it will affect some more than others. Google changes over the last year didn't really affect my earnings--they were just as low after as before! Ha!

Google is a private company. They can do whatever the hell they want. Designing your writing to appeal to the algorithm-du-jour has always been a calculated risk.

9. Rain Defence profile image80
    Rain Defenceposted 12 years ago

It seems like stalking is being made easier. I don't know how many people have a google account and spend their browsing time signed in, I suspect more don't than do so it probably won't affect searches too much.

10. secularist10 profile image59
    secularist10posted 12 years ago

From the Matt Cutts link posted by Rebekah above:

"Give this new feature a whirl: once you see how much better personal search can be, I don’t think you’ll want to give it up."

More Orwellian words have never been spoken...

11. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I, for one, spend WAY TOO MUCH TIME arguing or "debating" on effing social networks.

Every single last hub that I read and like though, including even yours (wink!), Randy, get a plus one, a link on facebook, and twitter.

....cuz I'm just annoying like that too folks on my friend or follower lists.  :-/

Thanks Wesman!  I didn't intend to suggest I'm not appreciative of those who do help pass the word along about articles they like.  I'm just not cut out for those places it seems.  smile

2. Rain Defence profile image80
      Rain Defenceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Think you'd better read some of mine then Wesman wink

3. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like to share everything that I find interesting as well.  The greatest hope for humanity is an exchange of ideas and knowledge.

12. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

If they are going to be biasing our searches whilst logged in to google (how many people are logged into google while they search if they are not internet/seo/online marketing/geeks?) then they will soon still be sharing from the whole of the web still anyway - we are now i think at 5 degrees of separation from everyone so it will not be long before friends or friends of friends will encompass everyone on the web!! Hell I did a search of my name on linkedin and the furthest anyone with the same name is away is 3 degrees and i don't have a huge network!

13. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Its certainly a radical change. But, a HUGE portion of our audience is still not-connected/only signed up to Google+ ... so perhaps will be awhile before this will have a significant effect on the non tech/im/seo/web design niches.

If you have a stake in those fields, then now is probably the time to start taking advantage of google+ as much as possible by integrating it and showcasing it above other sharing options and creating business and personal pages within the network.

Its hard (for me) at this point to judge which reports are true .. Google+ had a massive sign up/membership gain when it came out of invite only but the "ghost town" feeling and a claim that users are not very engaged is often seen too.

Google Wave was pretty awesome and thats already gone, Google video gone (but only in preference to youtube) Google Notebook .. gone (was a cool project!) Google Knol .. gone! Bookmarks! .. gone

None had the same level of involvement as + does , but still its a bit early to know how + will be maintained by the non-tech crowd

Would be a fun article to see all the google projects that have disappeared over the years!

1. alphagirl profile image76
      alphagirlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

remember that book by George Orwell 1984..Big Brother Google is watching and we are the one's who fuel the need for more info, easier info. I personally do not like face book in that  TMO. So many boundaries are crossed, left open, I think a huge back lash could occur.Hackers out there can piece everyone's postings and rob us all blind. Our kids today are a complete open book. Companies search you out to see if they like who your friends are, which affects your career, your kids futures. It is really creepy. I googled one of neighbors names and discovered he has a felony for investment fraud with SEC/ securities. In that case, GOOGLE helped me. Where does it end and who controls all that info???
      That has changed the way I view my neighbor. i keep my distance.

2. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The wonderful Google Answers, which for several years gave me $100s part-time income each month for answering real questions by real people who were prepared to pay anything from $2 up to $200 for the information. The GA Researchers community was the nicest and most supportive community I have ever been in. A lot of them made their living from GA and were devastated when the service was closed.

14. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

Build content for people(and rest of the internet), keep the content for people and don't delete or edit it just because G says so. This is moving target stuff and you can't keep up with it for long if you edit your hubs after every search update.

15. GA Anderson profile image89
    GA Andersonposted 12 years ago

Geez. Wish I had heard of this three days ago. Now my parade has been rained on.

I was doing some serp checking for a couple of my sites - and was feeling pretty good about myself - they were hitting top 4 results for most of my keywords. Wow life is good.

Now I read this, sign out of google, and do another search - damn! Oh well, guess I better get on the "social" wagon too.

GA

16. Garrett Mickley profile image78
    Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years ago

I posted this yesterday AM and a mod moved it to the technology forum (never to be seen again).

Thanks for bringing it back to light so more people see it.  Hopefully yours doesn't get misplaced.

17. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Just an observation, to those that think social networking is too much.  I wish I was three generations in to Google.  I would like to see the stuff my grandfather had +1 ed while he was young.

Every day we lose seniors we lose their knowledge and their experiences.  With the way the internet is developing, many of us will leave that to future generations.  Thanks to companies like Google. 

I met an 80 year old man the other day that was very informed on the history of his day.  I suggested to him that he might want to put on to tape all the things he knew.  His eyes lit up at the idea because he had great grandchildren that would probably never get to hear those stories otherwise.

1. Dorsi profile image87
      Dorsiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I so agree with this. I wish I had the forethought to tape my dads experiences before he died. Fortunately him and I did sit down and I wrote a first hand account of his surviving a torpedo attack on his ship, the USS North Carolina. I was able to at least make a hub about that for future generations.

As for this new Google plus search thingee...the more I think I about it, the more I think it will flop. I personally don't like Google plus. I don't think it will be a big hit (but then again I may be wrong and have to eat my words years from now)

Who knows???

18. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

Google's "new innovation" seems to be to copy elements of the big social networking sites, Facebook and Twitter to create their Google+ hybrid.  Then they promote their (inferior) product with their search engine, which essentially has a monopoly in the Western world.

Twitter are outraged and it's easy to see why.

I think this is all about Google profits and the consumer will lose out.  Google needs to be broken up to encourage competition.

1. skyfire profile image78
      skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Google+ is copy of Diaspora social network. Almost every feature of diaspora is ported to google+. Only original features that are part of google+ - hangout, youtube and +1.

Diaspora was supposed to be self hosted on your computer via a server-like setup.

You can use public pods if you don't want to host on your own server. I'm on diasp.de and diasp.eu public pods.

Ah, I would rather host my own.

19. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 12 years ago

One of the horrible things Google+ does is implant itself on your Google searches.  Your Google searches are now "personalized" more than ever, based upon all the information Google gathers from your Google+ account.  This skews the results which is really irritating if you want to conduct an "unbiased" search.  I think the result of this will be to the benefit of Bing/Yahoo and I, for one, have started using that search engine more and more.

20. rebekahELLE profile image85

That sounds like a hub you could write well and make it fun to read..

I guess we can see how this is going to affect searches, but I don't think it will be as drastic as some predict. Personally, I don't use Google+ and probably won't.
    I think it may be beneficial for some, but I don't care to see what all my friends are searching or reading. I can talk to them or find it on FB. I think Google is stepping into possible antitrust issues.

You don't need to use Google+ in order to get personalized search. They're mining gmail, google reader, calendar and contacts which helps them collect data from your connections in order to filter. So it affects search as long as you're searching google while logged in to any of their service.

True!  They have become too invasive as far as being involved in our personal business.  Nip it in the bud!  mad

21. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Well whatever you read was tragically misinformed. What is specifically giving google+ a boost is that it IS indexable (if you set your posts to PUBLIC). Facebook is still locked under privacy filters and isnt crawlable by google outside of the public page it creates for non-logged in users and fan/business pages.

You want all your content not connected to you .. use pseudonyms, a practice as old as publishing.

Its amazing how much uninformed dribble can be found in the arena of privacy and social networking. There are privacy settings in all your social networks, use them!

Google has stopped paying for access to the twitter api (firehose) but bing does index it ..

22. rebekahELLE profile image85

If I did use Google+, that is how I would use it, as I do here.  I even took my FB link off of my profile here, as my FB profile is private and personal.

I thought so. I'm glad you came back to post this.

23. ktrapp profile image94
    ktrappposted 12 years ago

Honestly, I really don't think these particular Google updates will cause people problems with their hubs coming up in search results.

I have a Google+ account (which I'm not a fan of since it is mostly like another HubPages feed), but I happened to be logged into Google tonight as I was checking my Analytics and did not sign out. Later I started to do a search on "herniated discs" (just found out my son has one) and after typing in only the "H" and "E" (in hernia), this is what I saw:

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6022318_f248.jpg

The results that started showing (Stephanie HEnkel & Kris HEeter - people in my Google+ that had an H and an E) disappeared as I continued typing the word hernia and I had normal looking search results.

You can also choose to hide personal results with this button at the top of the search page:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6022324.png

Of course, none of the personal results will show if you are not logged into Google.

So - I will just make sure I am logged off Google or choose to hide personal results and things will be back to normal.

Quite frankly, I think adding the personal results is stupid. It serves no purpose. I cannot imagine that anyone posts anything so earth shattering on Google+ that people want it to appear in their regular search results. The personal results are merely an annoyance, but at least we can get rid of them easily.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)