Help! I've lost the will to hub.

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (39 posts)
  1. DJ Funktual profile image75
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

I don't know what the hell is wrong with me but I can't hub.
    I got so many half-done projects that I won't go back to. 
    I used to spend all day here.  Bumming and yet have no idea what my deal is.
    LOSER!

1. SamurWriter profile image57
      SamurWriterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hubstenze seemed to brig back my stamina, also Hubmagna rx, and Hubzyte... guarenteed to make a mans hubs longer, stronger, and to enhance that certain part of a man's hubs.

wink

Jerrico

2. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69
      Stacie Naczelnikposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Not.

We all go through this. I've hardly published any hubs in months.  Part of it has to do with how busy my life outside of hubpages has become, but also because I've hit a dry spell.  It totally happens, so no worries.

I like Relache's advice--do it when you feel it, don't when you don't.  And, don't stress!

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

Maybe you just need a little break.

3. spryte profile image74
    spryteposted 15 years ago

There, there DJ -

*gentle pat on the shoulder*

It happens to all men at one time or another.  I'm sure that it's a fluke and won't happen again. 

Oh...wait that's my E.D. speech...never mind.

smile

Truthfully though...it does happen to everyone.  How long has this dry spell of yours been?

4. DJ Funktual profile image75

Well doc, It's been at least 6 weeks.

1. spryte profile image74
      spryteposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Usually when I hit a dry spell, it's because I can't think of anything that inspires me enough to write about it.  In a way, I'm tapped out. 

When that happens, instead of worrying about not being able to create, I concentrate on feeding my own mind for a while.  I'm not sure how it is with others, but my mind, like the rest of my body, cannot function without some sort of input. Luckily, my body will settle for a big mac and fries...but my brain demands something more.

So I read, watch movies or increase the amount of time in a social environment.  I'll take inspiration from almost any source smile

Anyway...that's my prescription for you...go out and have some fun.

5. funride profile image69
    funrideposted 15 years ago

I don´t know if it helps you but I have deleted several half way hub projects which I didn´t knew what to do to finish them. Some of them were starting to make me feel like I think you are right now.

Now that I started to work all week days away from home I miss being here and I try to come every weekend or other free time to write another hub.

Try to do as Rochelle said, take a little break and then come back with renew strength wink.

First of all HAVE FUNk!!!

6. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 15 years ago

Hi DJ in 2 years I have had a few occasions when I have felt the same way as you do now and lost the will to hub, It is a horrible feeling but you will soon be back in the swing of it, the best way that I find to deal with it is to not touch my computer for a day or two, stay away altogether from the internet, when you start to miss the internet, you will know that you are ready to start again, it always works for me.
    good luck.....jimmy

1. simistar1 profile image57
      simistar1posted 15 years agoin reply to this

hi im new to hub please tell me something about hubs

7. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 15 years ago

Doing other things, going out in the world, reading, just... living will eventually fill you with new things to write about.  You're probably just trapped in the same set of thoughts that you've been writing out of for awhile.  The reserves are tapped.  You need to go out and purge the remnants of tired ideas and refill yourself with some new stuff.  Hubs will come when you stop looking for them.

8. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 15 years ago

I build Hubs when I feel like it.  I don't build Hubs when I don't.

I don't stress over either of those two things.

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yep, this is my attitude exactly smile

2. SamurWriter profile image57
      SamurWriterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't have the problem of writing hubs, I have the problem of NOT writing them... I neglect my real money making ventures often to throw down a hub... sigh... it truly is an addictive site.. I'm on the hubpatch but it doesn't seem to stop the cravings...

Jerrico

3. Em Writes profile image70
      Em Writesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Amen!

Even though I've not been on Hubpages that long, I find it easier to write when I feel like it. A few hubs were written because I felt like I needed to write *something*, and those are crap. The hubscores reflect it, too. smile

It'll come back to you eventually, DJ!

9. Benson Yeung profile image67
    Benson Yeungposted 15 years ago

Hi, my 10 cents worth: write something fairly short, like 100 words, yet very important to you. Then post it, knowing that it may not be great and might even need editing later. At least you have written and published something. Your next piece should be much easier. That's why I have a few very short hubs. And it works.
    Good luck.

1. Jerrico Usher profile image55
      Jerrico Usherposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You will find if you start writing about ANYTHING and keep going even if you don't want to you will pop out a golden hit of a hub... sometimes I do this free associative writing to unblock my brains IP address block smile rather IB block (internet blogging)...

as that name tag dude would say, if you wake up every day and spend an hour just writing anything, anything at all, write about a song, an idea, how you felt when you woke up, your dreams anything just do it consistently every morning first thing you will train your creative muscles to fire every day at that time. Creativity in the morning starts your day right and has repercussions throughout the day... its a creativity trick I use actually and my only problem is having TOO much to write about and NOT ENOUGH TIME.

Jerrico

10. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Yeah it happens and comes and go. Unfortunately on some blogs I HAVE to write because I get paid to produce a certain number of posts/week. For places like hubpages I just give it a rest for while.  Sometimes its the wrong platform: Sally did a request on the presidential dog to be and I was going to write a hub - but it would have required a lot fo research that I wasnt that interested in so instead i did a short post on another blog I write at

11. dineane profile image82
    dineaneposted 15 years ago

DJ, I'm reassured that someone with so many hubs feels the same way I do here and there with less than 50. It will come back. You've had good advice here - go do something different for a bit. You'll be back in no time.

12. quicksand profile image82
    quicksandposted 15 years ago

The "problem" with hub pages is that it is plain addictive. Whenever I log in, I find something really interesting. I then follow the links concerned, and either post a remark or get back to clicking on interesting links on hubtivity.

As a result, I find that I am spending three to four times as much time as I have allocated to my visit to this location. I suddenly noticed that I had not published a single hub for nearly a month, although when I joined, my target was to publish 100 hubs before the year ends.

I've got another 37 notepads to edit, add and delete before I submit my work. However, I find that I am more interested in checking out the work of other hubbers and commenting when the situation permits.

The "problem" I referred does NOT need to be solved. LOL! smile

13. dineane profile image82
    dineaneposted 15 years ago

yes, quicksand, I read much more than I write! But I probably wouldn't write half as much if i didn't read. I think we love this community for the inspiration.

1. quicksand profile image82
      quicksandposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Of course, Dineane, the brilliance of our fellow hubbers provides us an education which is priceless. smilesmilesmile

14. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

Hey DJ don't get stressed about it- I went 2 months without hubbing. I did have alot going on but it was just hard to hub at the time, but it came back. Just give it time. Writing is a creative process, and sometimes we can crank out alot then other times we just need to take a break and let our mind rest. Sometimes I know when I need to take a break from the internet because my mind is swirling with too much information.
    After all, we are in the information age!!
    Our minds can only handle so much!!
    Breathe and maybe look too another hobby that you enjoy for awhile to renew your mind. Sometimes I take a break and lose myself in my garden and I get re-energized.

15. DJ Funktual profile image75

http://hubpages.com/hub/Museum-of-Class … n-It-Video

This was light on text but felt good anyway. 
    Thanks everyone.

DJ I started a hub today on one thing then somehow you came up (just as an example in a good light) then half the hub became about me an you and our forum tiff a few weeks back (that ended on a good note)... I think you'll like this hub, not sure though, I made you the good guy and me the idiot smile  at any rate it goes to show that you don't just have to hub about rigid things you can hub about how you learned something from an experience, about other people and something they did that inspired you, and so on... I have alot of hubs inspired by real life actually. This hub actually started while watching a movie and one line that was said in passing really made me think and bam here came a hub...

You weren't even in the hub at first, then I went back to write the intro then the example came up and now the hub is in two parts, part one, part two, because it sort of takes on reality, and breaking down the event in third person informative... ok I'm rambling.. look for it soon.. I didn't use your name or refert to you other than "DJ" which could be anyone.. there are 219 DJ hubbers smile

Jerrico

16. DonnaCSmith profile image82
    DonnaCSmithposted 15 years ago

The great thing about hubs is we won't get fired for not working! When I don't feel inspired to write a new hub sometimes I poke around and tweak some old ones. But, the  best cure for writer's block is to write. Maybe do some free-writing exercises just to keep the writing muscles in tone, and when a hub comes to you, you'll be ready;o)

1. JohnST profile image60
      JohnSTposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I get writer's block from time to time too and the best way for me is to get up from the computer desk and go out for a walk or nap.

Then I made a fresh attempt to write again and the writing juice flows more smoothly. To clear up a writer's block with an excellent article is the best feeling.

I go on google and start googling things I'm interrested in like "new high tech inventions" or something, then I do some fun research on things which inevitably leads to many cool sites that keep me going, then once I'm good and intrigued I pop out a hub. I rarely have to do this but when writers block happens for me I thank god that I have it, because it is for me the utopia I seek... I work 7 days a week and my creative muscles are overtoned, I try to take a day off but can't stop wanting to write...!

Jerrico

17. terenceyap07 profile image60
    terenceyap07posted 15 years ago

You've been doing a lot of hubs on music lately, bro. How about taking a break away from music. I've been there - I know. I was a vocalist cum saxophonists and I pretty much did the circuit. It gets tiring doing the same stuff, even the stuff you love to do.

How about doing a hub on a hobby that you learned in school? Writing about someone you looked up to would also be good? You could also pay tribute to a favourite pet or even your neighbour's pet. Heck, you could do a terrific hub on the different types of equipment you use for DJ'ing with inside tips on how to get the most out of them! The sky's the limit, bro.

Or if all these don't do it for you, then take a break with that special woman in your life for a week. Dinner, dancing, the movies, sitting by the sea or a lake, cooking a meal together, talking about your feeling for each other and reminiscing the past; the things you used to love to do when you were courting her.

It's okay to give in, bro. All of us give in every now and again. Rest when you're tired. Rest as long as you need to rest. But whatever you do, don't give up.

*smiles*

Do some hubs on those artists you've been talking up on just one artist per hub, some deep background and interresting facts most people don't know... recycle your other hubs ideas and focus on one element in the hub instead of a broad view of music, go deep into a type of music and what birthed it, write about how music changes lives, inspires, about how bands get together, or write on all the bands that broke up over the years... theres plenty of material right there in your current gazillion hubs.

Jerrico

18. Kate Downs profile image70
    Kate Downsposted 15 years ago

This is why I can't keep a pay-per-post blog going.  Sometimes I feel like blogging.  Sometimes I don't.

I keep a lot of different projects going to accommodate my ADD and still make money.  When I don't feel like doing one thing, I switch to another.  Sometimes just a change of format is enough to get the creative juices flowing again.

Good luck!

I'm the same way (although I don't have add), I blog, write articles, develop adsense sites, build training sites, hub, twitter, myspace, etc.. etc.. etc.. it never stops!

but it does make money come in which is nice..

Jerrico

2. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm to old to have ADD  - I just have a short attention span LOL I trying an experiment at the moment doing 2 daily blogs for at least a month -the secret is simple- post scheding - write when you feel like and set the publish time to the future - perfect!

19. Kate Downs profile image70
    Kate Downsposted 15 years ago

Jerico~

I haven't quite figured out the usefulness of Twitter yet. What do you use it for?

It has a bunch of underliying uses for business and personal use, right now I use it to build relationships with my business connections and friends. It's essentially a way to let people know what your up to, like right now I have my parents, brothers, and a few friends, and one person I'm writing articles for on there so when I do something like write a hub, brew some coffee and warm up, get confused about something, etc I'll tag a note on it (I have a tab always open for that page)..

What this does is allows me to introduce these people to my world personal and work environment. I control what I write so I maintain my privacy if I wish, but people get to know the little things you do, they can see that you work and what on, i.e. they will not have to wonder what I do while I'm online because I'm showing people every couple hours what I'm working on, it feeds that curiosity but as people start to follow the fascinating writers life of Jerrico Usher they start to see where I'm coming from, when they need something from me they can see that I'm busy, and understand where I'm coming from.

It's a way essentially to put another demension of yourself out there that people are curious about and it strengthens a bond between you because your no longer just this aquaintence your a friend. The difference between a friend and an aquaintence is essentially how much you know about the other person, how connected you are. Twitter at first I saw as kinda dumb but now I realize its a great way to connect personally to people, show them another side of you, bonds are strengthened the more you know about someone and can see what they do with their day... in business it helps you trust people more becasue you see that they are just like you, they brew coffee, warm up before writing, and so on.. You can also see who's interrested in you by who chooses to follow you.

Jerrico

20. DJ Funktual profile image75

First of all, thanks to all for your advice.
    Well, things are looking up.  I got my logo!
    Designed by B-Boy Lethal
    I think it is pretty spot on!

I can't believe I still don't know how to post a photo on the forum but...

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Cute-- but at first I thought you were wearing a bra.

1. rancidTaste profile image61
        rancidTasteposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Dammmmmmmmmm....... you make me laugh lol lol

21. KCC Big Country profile image86
    KCC Big Countryposted 15 years ago

Go do something fun and spontaneous.  For me, I would go somewhere crowded and just sit and people watch.  People do and say the weirdest things.  When you're in that mode of  'pleasure' rather than 'work' you'll be open to more things.   Open up and let it flow in!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)