Seasons Greetings Fellow Talking Monkeys!

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (66 posts)
  1. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 13 years ago

Just wanted to wish everyone a happy Winter Solstice, the "reason for the season," in fact - the season itself.

The Sun has now died, reaching the lowest point on the horizon, where it will stay for a couple of days. On the third day it will rise up to the heavens again, meaning longer daylight hours in the northern hemisphere.

If you were thinking "there must be something to all this depression, and need to celebrate," - there you have it. Now we (in this hemisphere) can look forward to longer daylight hours, increased vitamin D production, the arrival of spring and rebirth of the land.

Happy Days! big_smile

I, unfortunately, missed the signs in the sky foretelling numerous things (lunar eclipse) due to heavy cloud cover, but I hope you saw the evidence of the correctness of your beliefs in the sky wherever you are, and I also hope your priests and prophets have not interpreted it as instructions to go rampaging across to attack a neighboring troop of talking monkeys. wink

http://markpknowles.com/wp-content/uploads/cross-crux.png

If you wish to produce your own constellation maps - you can do so here:

http://pp3.sourceforge.net/

1. Aya Katz profile image84
      Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Happy Winter Solstice to you, too, Mark. I will be celebrating it with my fellow talking great apes. No monkeys here. There's nobody with a tail in my household, except the dogs, of course.

Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Elitist! big_smile

2. pennyofheaven profile image79
    pennyofheavenposted 13 years ago

Well that wouldn't apply to me because its summer here. But happy Winter Solstice to you!

Happy summer solstice to you. big_smile

1. pennyofheaven profile image79
        pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Awww thanks!

3. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Well Mark thank you for your good wishes. I shall indeed be celebrating the solstice with friends and I expect to celebrate it good and proper.

Vodka in hand, I'll raise a glass and thank the sun for being the glorious heavenly being that it is.

We'd be pretty buggered without it smile

Yes, we would. smile

4. Paraglider profile image87
    Paragliderposted 13 years ago

In a couple of days I'll be flying out of this warm, sunny Qatar 'winter' back to a fortnight of finest British cold and dark. And that's intentional!

Have a good one, whatever it is, Mark & Everyone smile

5. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

Thank you Mark smile same to you. A toast to the upcoming New Year too wink big_smile

6. Lily Rose profile image86
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

Thank you and seasons greetings to you and all the rest of my hubber friends!

7. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

And a happy solstice to you, Mark!  May your life be filled with nuts and berries and the lions and cheetahs leave you alone.

(swings away through the trees, chittering)

8. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

Happy "Star power" to you on your calendar marked seasoned event, Mark.

Thanks guys. big_smile

9. profile image56
    C.J. Wrightposted 13 years ago

It's the flying monkeys that scare me....you know "Fly my pretties FLY!!!!"

No relation. wink

1. profile image56
        C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's good to know. Happy Solstice.

10. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Enjoy the season Mr Mark, to you and your family!

You too. You saving your favor for a rainy day? smile

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh I want to get it on January 1st week, I might won the other one, I will remind you on the first of 2011, YAY

Aha - OK. Good luck. big_smile

11. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

aw Mark you mean you dont want to argue..... your not a scrooge type humbug man then?????

We usually see only what we want to see. I am active outside of the irrational beliefs forum you know. wink

1. Joy56 profile image68
        Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh no you are not, joke

12. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

Certainly I will wish you a Merry Xmas Mark, and hope that you feel the warm hand of the prophet in many of your personal areas over the festive season.

I have indeed been touched by His Noodly Appendage. big_smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ha ha, not often enough do I get to genuinely lol...

Seriously mate, Merry whatever to you.

13. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I saw something about talking monkeys and thought y'all were talking about me.  smile    Happy Summer Solstice!

Are you on the other end of the planet as well then?

1. KCC Big Country profile image84
        KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No....sorry...in my haste (I was at work)....I should have made it generic.  It's Winter Solstice for me.  (although, it was in the 80s here today!)

14. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

It's my son's birthday today. 24 years old. Fine guy, that one. When he was small I told him he came on the darkest day of the year so the earth would find light and turn to spring again. He never bought the lie, but he liked that I loved him so much. Smart one, too.

Happy Winter Solstice, Mark. I hope if you're going to get dumped on with snow that it's at least bright and pleasant for the holiday.

smile

Same to you - not much danger of anything but rain where I am. Wish your son (the next prophet I am sure) Happy Birthday - and don't be stingy with the presents. lol

Most peopel I know with birthdays close to X-mas get "combined" presents........

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

True enough on the combined presents thing.

"Profit" is more to my liking. As for my son, he's fairly smart, although young, but is able to decide for himself.  smile

I knew it - You owe him 24 birthday presents. lol

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Funny!  My son's birthday is today, too.  He's 29, though.

I've always teased him that he arrived on the darkest day of the year; it could only get better after that!

15. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Have a great holiday Mark and be safe. Thank you. smile

I also hope everyone enjoys their holiday as well! smile

16. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Seasons Greetings to You Mark and Everyone who just experienced the red moon effect and that C-c-c-cold snap... though it was blue here as a result of our warm, sultry summer breezes sad

Take Care and Be Well.. hope your weather is not too harsh.

17. mythbuster profile image71
    mythbusterposted 13 years ago

Thanks Mark - Happy Solstice to ya.

Bummer that you got outed from the irrational beliefs forum.

18. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

God bless you, Mark, for your kind words! Same at yea big_smile

big_smile

19. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Now Hades is almost ready to release Persephone, so Demeter will once more allow Earth to awaken and be fruitful.

Did anyone go to Stonehenge last night? Or is that gathering still allowed?

Mark, do you exchange gifts in celebration of the Winter Solstice? If so, what does the wrapping paper look like?

We do that on the Summer Solstice - or we used to.

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oops! I though it was done in winter and in summer.

Oh, it is! Here are some pics of the 2004 Winter Solstice gathering at Stonehenge:

http://www.new-age.co.uk/winter-solstic … e-pics.htm

COOL!!

Never been to that. When did that start?

1. habee profile image93

Dunno, but I'd love to attend!

It would kill you this year. For sure. Salisbury plain is bleak at the best of times. Go for the Summer Solstice. big_smile

20. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Winter solstice greetings, Mark!  Yes, we celebrated by dancing under the red moon, imbibing with ritual drinks, and the sacrifice of Virginians.  Amazing how easy it is to get them to come down here if you have booze and food!.

1. habee profile image93

Good thing you're right off the interstate - you can lure those unsuspecting Virginians in on their way to Florida.

BTW, RD, you lost out on Mel's choice for favorite hubber due to a lack of cheese.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

True, but I still don't know why those terrorists wanted to kill themselves and get all those Virginians.

Serpents do not often win popularity contests.  It goes with the territory.  Tell Mel she blew half a hoop.  That'll teach her!

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wonder how I managed to escape this so far?! yikes

You are invited to the next ritual, Misha.  We have plenty of food and booze.

slither

1. Misha profile image63

Any apples? I'll bring my wife then wink

No apples, but we do have, Peaches-All Flavors!  LOL!

1. Misha profile image63

Please turn them to the other side before we arrive tongue

Butt of course, Misha!

2. habee profile image93

I miss those rituals we used to have at the pasture pond! Those were fun!!!!

This sounds like my sort of ritual. wink

21. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Happy stuff and many bottles to you too Mark.  Interesting thing about reading the stars, Taoism (religious not the philosphy Tao) here in China does fortune telling and they use Venus - but I guess from here it doesn't traverse the conventional star shape through the years as their diagram is different - Will this make their god a different shape ?

Must do a hub on this one day if I can research it without too much effort smile

22. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Happy many multi-cultural thingy holiday season to you all! I'm one of those who get my birthday presents lumped in with Christmas too. No wonder I feel god-like! big_smile lol roll

1. Misha profile image63

Fellow Capricorn?

1. Bill Manning profile image68
        Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why yes I am Misha, happy to know another sure footed, stubborn and successful goat! smile

1. Misha profile image63

Cool, now I know why I liked you right from the onset smile

23. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

We were able to view the eclipse last night -- stunning! I believe it's significant in some cosmic karma way. It's been pouring rain here for days, but stopped last night. It was so still out -- eerie (in a good way0. Some gorgeous, fast-moving clouds made the red moon experience all the more exotic.

Happy Winter to All ...and to All Increased Light!
    MM
    P.S. I thought this thread was about KCC, also!

1. Trish_M profile image80
      Trish_Mposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Winter Solstice greetings to all fellow hubbers!

24. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Mark, as a Martian I find you earth-seasonal-centric worship irrational and a sure path to war

25. Bob Ewing profile image64
    Bob Ewingposted 13 years ago

Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year to all.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)