Let us not be led astray by non-believers

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (46 posts)
  1. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

Whenever a religious discussion is mooted, we invariably find  that people completely veer off the point and turn it into a discussion about God's existence. It is always whether there is God or not. Always. Ad nauseam.  It is boring and getting repetitive. And, frustrating, i can tell you.

The best thing for the discussion to go on the path that it is started for is to ignore the people who interject points that have nothing to do with the topic in discussion.

This  has nothing to do with the intruders' personality or traits. It merely means that their arguments not be given any attention unless it pertains to the topic under the microscope and get on with the discussion at hand.

1. Davidsonofjesie profile image60
      Davidsonofjesieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought I was the only one that felt that way , A-man

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No - all religionists wish they could get rid of anyone who does not believe the nonsense they believe.

Thank goodness you can no longer burn them. wink

1. aka-dj profile image65
          aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, we don't burn them.

I NEVER burned one yet.

Glad to hear you are feeling safe now.
          But, enjoy whilst you can. If Islam takes Europe over, well ... who knows
          there may be some body parts getting separated from the body.

You could always come down to Australia. We still have a little room.
          We also tolerate Atheist to the most part. big_smile
          heck, our PM IS one. hmm

1. profile image0
            jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I NEVER burned one yet.

but given a chance!!!
            Giordano Bruno was murdered by your co-religionists though!!

2. TamCor profile image81
      TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree... smile

3. kess profile image59
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When should you allow your belief to sway?

Many by stregth resolve will not allow their belief to stray...
      this resolve is further strenghened by their many heated arguments.

now if your belief is based on confidence in the knowledge of Truth...
      then the strenght of resolve is become unnecessay or we may also say has its foundation from the knowledge of Truth.

So if there be any swaying in such a man , then it will be toward Truth and not away from it.

many strenghthen their resolve to follow a truth, which is merely an opinion of another....
      these usually uses quotation from their man made souce of authoruty, as in their varied forms of research and studies based on human writings.

These are those still in darkness.

I am streghtened in my resolve to follow Truth, This Truth originate from within me and  it in turn gives further strenght to my resolve...

And no man no thing cab sway such one.

For Truth is His resolution  and his resolution  is Truth.

4. Flightkeeper profile image67
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think many believers would agree with that.  It would help also that there is topic that would be interesting to discuss and those topics have been sparse.  I'm not talking about the ones started by non-believers because they are so many and I'm glad that the discussion is there for the non-believers -- it actually promotes more people to look into the Bible to know more about it.

Yup. I have had quite a lot of peopel thank me for pointing out the inconsistencies in the bible that they did not know were there. Turns out they had been lied to all their lives. More and more are realizing how damaging your religion is. We should keep doing it - education will eventually eradicate this disease.

5. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Advocating that people ignore other people? Is this the kind of Love and Compassion you were taught?

WOW! roll

2. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

I agree with the OP.

I have often expressed a similar frustration.

I think their (hidden) agenda is to scare, or intimidate everyone out of the forum.

If religion is "meaningless" to them, WHY BOTHER????
    BEATS ME hmm

You can even try to ignore them, but others come along, hold discussions with them, and the topic is invariable derailed.

Patience my friend, patience!!! big_smile

It is not meaningless dj - it is dangerous. As you have just explained - if Islam takes over Europe, the body parts will start flying. So - you see that as a threat and cannot understand that your irrational belief system is just as dangerous and likely to encourage this type of behavior. We have only just managed to take that power away from the Christians.

Yeah - I know how tolerant you are down under. Why just recently the PM apologized to the aborigines for stealing their children to be educated in good christian homes. The "Aboriginal problem" I believe you called it.

But - worry not - I am as scathing of Islam as I am of your cult. I see no difference - they are just a few hundred years behind the times.

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Mark. I think we have a point we can agree on. That's a woohoo moment for me. Probably doesn't do much for you though.

I think there are many that see the spread of Islam as a sign of the end and might be prone to rush to war.

But, as it stands, I still believe corporate greed is the devil that dogs this country. It is what has pulled us into all of the conflicts during my lifetime.

Most Christian religionists see Islam as a threat - so no - not surprised we agree on this. Pity you cannot see that that is what your religion looks like to us thinkers.

Yes - agree on the corporate greed as well. Hard to say which is worse, religion, central banks or corporations. Sadly the government of the day follows whichever has the power.

Power has moved from religion to banks and corporations. The owners are the same though - as are the tactics. Fear and divide and conquer.  sad

Fear Islam
          Fear aging
          Fear liberals
          Fear communists
          Fear the boogy man

Join us and be saved! lol

1. profile image0
            just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree completely with your post, except for the fact that you say I can't see what people see of Christianity. I get that point too.

2. aka-dj profile image65

It would be so nice if you could just 'GET WITH THE TIMES"
        You seem to be so dogged by history, it's scary.
        I'll have to start citing & pasting soon, because I'm tired of typing the same stuff ova & ova & ova to you.
        I don't start wars, I don't rape boys, I don't burn witches, and I don't knock on doors.

Why do you find it so pleasing to "tar me with the same brush" as those who have done these things? (In the past, or present)!
        Last I heard, that's called prejudice, bias and just downright "redneck" behaviour.
        If had done any of the above, you would be right in calling me so, but I haven't.

Why the %*&$ am I explaining this to you anyway? hmm hmm hmm

You are as blind and bigoted as they come, you don't read and you don't listen.  sad sad sad

History is how we learn stuff dj.

How odd that you think Islam is a threat - yet pretend your own religion never did these things.

I do read and I do listen. History is one of the things I read and listen. This gives me legitimate reasons to think your religion is not a good thing.

I am not blind or bigoted -  I can see you stirring trouble with the Islamists. I think your religion is bad dj. You are prepared to write off all the bad things done in the name of your god as not being worth learning from. Why?

SEE, I told you that you don't read!

I wasn't referring to read in general. I meant read what I write.

Sorry, accusation stands!!!

I could just as easy say all Brits are warmongers because they conquered a huge part of the world, forced their culture on other countries, killed millions, and you are as bad as they come. "I hate you, 'case your a Brit". (I don't, but to follow your mentality). You are the one who has dispossessed the Aborigines, taken away their country and turned it into a penal colony.

You, cannot disassociate yourself from your past either!! big_smile

No - I cannot. I am disgusted at our past behavior and would never consider pushing the ideals that led us to that behavior. Yet you persist in clinging to the religion that caused us to do these bad things.

I never said I hate you dj. Please do not put words in my mouth.

I hate your religion - because of what it does to people. Just as I hate the past (and present) Nationalism  of my country. Disgusting behavior. I am ashamed I was incapable of stopping the current atrocities we are perpetuating in Afghanistan and Iraq. I have no voice. None. Powerless to prevent it - but - no way I am going to promote the values that cause it.

Pity you cannot say the same thing. sad

Oddly - British Nationalism is very, very closely tied to religion. My Granddad still visits the regimental colors hung in the local church. sad

Oh, I see.
                I finally make a point you CAN relate to.

Ditto to your disdain for the past wrongs.

I don't stick to their ideology you so mercilessly peruse.
                I have told you before that I hate religion also.
                The trouble with you is that you cannot see why there is a difference between what I stand for, and what my "religion" stands for. (Actually it's not MY religion. It's what you conceive it to be).

So, please, don't lump me in together with the warmonger list. Thanks. That would be real civil of you, and I know you CAN be VERY civil. smile

No dj. The fact that you delude yourself into thinking you are not following a religion is of no consequence to me. you have a book and a list of values other people should follow. You are selling an afterlife - but only if.

You have religion dj. And - it will cause you to go to war with Islam if the need arose. sad

That is how religion works dj. Read a few history books and you would understand. wink

Wasting my time, yet again.
                    I must be a glutton for punishment. lol lol lol

Of course, you would NEVER go to war with Islam, Christianity or another country.
                    You would just surrender, let them run you out, kill you, rape your family etc. A true pacifist, to the last.
                    GMAB

3. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

F----g Hilarious. Theist brains. big_smile

Thank you for your well considered response.

Just have a look, and see how many people no longer enter these forums.

Comments like your sure helps open the door to usher them out.

1. skyfire profile image79
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh noes, don't tell me that bible thumpers are afraid of non-believers ? Unlike you i don't have any agenda to trash deluded minds out of forums. I enjoy BS from people like you when i turn off forum filter.

4. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

Wouldn't life be boring if everyone just told you how right you were in everything that you believe!

But you want the right to ram your BS down our throats and us not to argue about it..... Sorry!! Not going to happen...

If you want to have a forum where everyone just says hallelujah to what you type make your own forum and just invite your friends!

We actually expected THIS forum to be just that.
      Trouble is, everyone CAN enter, do so, and create the "problem".

BTW, who exactly is cramming anything down your throat? Are they spamming you? hmm

It's kind of, "enter at your own risk", in the forum. Does someone MAKE you enter and read? hmm

5. profile image0
    thedietviewposted 13 years ago

i think everyone needs religion , its important for me to believe in god and i think everyone needs a believe in something, wouldnt the world be a horrible place if you shunned his excistance beacause of your ignorance ?!?!?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting post.  You need religion (you need someone to tell you what God has determined as the difference between right and wrong?) and therefore no one else is capable of making the distinction either?

And no, the world would not be a horrible place if everyone realized that mythology is just that - mythology.  Rather it would be a better place if everyone used their brain to actually think and reason instead of imagining that whatever they want to be true actually is true.  Ignorance might actually give way to knowledge and reality!

1. profile image0
        thedietviewposted 13 years agoin reply to this

do u not think it helps people ? for example :parents who have lost there children or married people who have lost spouses
        It helps them believing there is a greater being out there looking after the souls of there lost loved ones , and helps them survive each day.
        its helps ease the pain sometimes just believing i know cause it helps me
        just my opinion !

1. spookyfox profile image60
          spookyfoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's irrelevant whether it helps or not, that's treating everyone like a child and prolonging the ilusion of Santa. Pain is necessary for growth.

2. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a bunch of people unwilling to be responsible for every aspect of their life and much rather leave it up to someone else? WHY? Who knows. hmm

6. profile image0
    thedietviewposted 13 years ago

its not irrelevant if it helps of not , if it helps its awesome , its not treating people like children its just giving you some comfort in there time of need is that so bad ?? really ??

if thats the case :  if u give someone a hug when they are feeling down would that not fall into the same catagory ?

should we all just practise tough love  ????

1. spookyfox profile image60
      spookyfoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No. A hug is much much better than an illusion. I'm not saying something that helps confort is bad or should not be done, but that whether it helps or not is irrelevant to how true it is.

Doing things because it makes you or someone else feel good (a hug) is fine. Believing something to be true because it helps you avoid some pain is not.

7. profile image49
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

There is no harm if the Atheists Agnostics or other non-believers express their viewpoint with brilliant arguments, if any.

8. profile image0
    bolt1951posted 13 years ago

I expected that type of response, very predictable as usual the let's pass the blame on something else, that should distract them from the truth, I guess your one of the WMDS believers. such an obious misuse of power, and an imbarrasment to our country and our Constitution. And if you are looking for people leaving forums where do you find the time to do that? with so much real issues are at stake, and of  more importance. Please at least make an attempt to look at reality and be truthful to yourself and the rest of the forum for that matter.

9. profile image49
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

It is the brillinat arguments the religionists should arm with and silence the atheists non-believers.
    There is no harm if the Atheists Agnostics or other non-believers express their viewpoint with brilliant arguments, if any.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)