Would You Leave A Sarky Reply To A Ridiculous Hub ?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (40 posts)
  1. profile image47
    badcompany99posted 15 years ago

Ok I have been reading around and have read loads of great hubs but good god I have also read some really pathetic pieces of garbage. I normally just rate it down but hey sometimes I think why not just leave a nice sarky comment which in all events would probably soar over their heads. So you hub peeps have you left a sarky comment or what do you do ?

1. Kelsey Tallis profile image62
      Kelsey Tallisposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I haven't been here very long but I have down-ranked a couple hubs I thought were seriously lacking any original content whatsoever but I have not left any snarky replies.

I actually did flag one, but it had no text, only a video that was in Spanish so I don't even know if it matched the title (which is a very obvious search term).

I've been tempted to leave a reply that isn't kind though. And honestly, if someone is a very poor writer or not adding anything original to their topic, isn't it kinder in the long run to let them know this so they don't keep wasting their energy doing something that will probably not benefit them?

Anyway, I've only been here since Friday so I'm still getting used to the place...

2. Paraglider profile image87
      Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Usually I leave garbage hubs well alone because even to acknowledge them is to delay their slide to oblivion. Forum posts are a different matter though wink

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
        GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think its most fair to offer some good pointers and tips to perhaps make the Hub better. And if the writer seems disinterested, rate it down. Some people are like fish out of water (I was here for awhile, and still sometimes I hit or miss) with HubPages. Others are doing it just for pure enjoyment..still others are doing it in hopes of seeing dollar signs.

The ones who create blatantly "commercial" Hubs without injecting any sort of art or tact are the ones I personally dislike the most and feel don't serve anything for anyone other than as badly made billboards.

But everyone has potential to improve. But if ya lead the horse to water and it doesn't drink..just shoot it and find a new one. wink

Sincerely,

G|M

1. JamaGenee profile image78
          JamaGeneeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

http://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/24.gif

2. Everyday Miracles profile image85
          Everyday Miraclesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

COMPLETELY right about that one, G|M! I have been writing (seriously) since I was 10. I jumped off the wagon for a long time when I was about 18 and then hopped back on when I was 23. Since then I go back and forth, sometimes writing, sometimes not. Sometimes it's for me, other times I write for publication and possible $$$.

My point is that I am constantly seeking to improve myself, my literary style and the way that I present my information. I scour these forums far more often than I post looking for people's responses to specific questions and pondering on what I think makes a hub "good."

Very well said!

Appreciate your kind sentiments. smile I, too, have been writing since childhood...I began in earnest when I was nine. I figure if you can become such a good enough stylistic writer you're able to fit on in and branch out to several different topics.

People have been happy with my "Thought Bubbles" articles because not only do they present relevant and real information they also tend to entertain and engage with multiple forms of media.

The dynamics of HubPages to become an "article publisher" kick the pants off of anything you'll find in your newspaper or their website.

Granted, I still love reading stuff in dead tree format...but its no longer necessary to keep works to just mere words and pictures.

Sincerely,

G|M

3. Christoph Reilly profile image68
      Christoph Reillyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So that's what you were going on about on my hub.  Honestly, it just "soared" right over my head. Strained my neck watchin' it go by. Now I see you were being sarky.

1. profile image47
        badcompany99posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Awwww poor Chris you know I enjoy yer hubs, if it wasn't for Chris A yer poster wud be on my wall !

4. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No, I never leave negative comments. A couple of Hubbers have been subjected to stalking and sabotage (Adsense fraud) because they said something negative on some crazy person's Hub, so it's just not worth it.

I do "thumbs down" though.

1. Everyday Miracles profile image85

Really? Does that extend to disagreeing with something said in the hub? I've done that before (though I hope politely) and never thought that something like that would happen.

What is Adsense fraud?

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
          Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No, it doesn't extend to just disagreeing - I've often had debates in Hub comments!  Adsense fraud is where someone comes along and clicks repeatedly on your ads - Google will think it's you or one of our friends trying to artificially boost your traffic, and they may ban you.

5. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If I run across a hub that is sub-standard I simply try to critique it so they can improve there writing skills, as helping each others makes the world go round. smile

1. profile image47

Fair point, and taken on board !

Everyday Miraclesposted 15 years ago

I try very hard to be kind. Most of the time I simply don't comment on hubs that I think are horribly written. I find it easier to simply navigate away from the page and move on. After all, the person who wrote the hub might not have a good handle on the English language or might not truly understand what Hubpages is all about.

I also don't down-rate. I have been a member of the Sims2 community for the last three years or so, and I specifically am a Sims 2 writer. I write Legacy Challenge stories and originally posted them on a blog. After a while, however, I realized that I loved the rating system on the Sims 2 exchange and I moved some of my stories there. It was so fun to watch several of them jump right up to five stars!

But friends of mine, a very fun Ozzie simmer and some younger writers brought up that their stories were being "downrated." I came to realize that the "down-rating" means absolutely nothing: it's the UP rating that is significant. I just feel that it is a waste of a click that could be moving me onto something more interesting. And after all, I want to assume that the writer is at least *trying*.

Now and again I have written supportive comments on hubs that I felt were sub-par, if I could tell that the writer was *trying*. Those hubs that are sub-par and clearly break the TOS of HP I flag (i.e. a two sentence hub, etc).

Is I see it, we're all here for different reasons. I just determined with my husband that I'm not here for the money: I'm here because I have an audience and I am enjoying writing again (finally!). Some are here because they feel that they can post many hubs and get quick cash (good luck with that one, tell me how it works out for you!). Still others are really here to join a community and make friends, but might not be going about it in the best way possible.

3. profile image47

Well you are way too kind as I have found too many just pumping out garbage and I am sorry but my sarcasm twil be unleashed with a fury.

1. Everyday Miracles profile image85

There are times I want to, badco! I completely understand what you are saying! I still try to be understanding though smile

4. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 15 years ago

If I can't say anything nice and/or supportive, then I say nothing at all.

1. profile image47

Fair point but once you put something in writing on the net you leave it open to be judged, and judge I shall !

1. SweetiePie profile image81
        SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

However, just as you are free to comment they are free to delete.  A couple of times people left comments that were their opinion, but I found it to be very snarky and just deleted it.

5. JamaGenee profile image78
    JamaGeneeposted 15 years ago

Pirates aren't known for behaving like other people. So it's pretty much your job to leave the sarky comments for us, isn't it? cool 

Oh right.  The question was about leaving sarky comments on bad hubs.  No, I usually just click out.  No thumbs down.  Nothing. Except for the nano-second page view, like I was never there.

1. Elena. profile image83
      Elena.posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Pretty much the same here.  What's happened to me every once in a blue moon is that I clicked out from a hub that all of a sudden becomes very popular, featured and all, and I am tempted to go back and reassess.  Sometimes I do.  I won't say how many times, if any, I've been mistaken in my initial perception tongue

LOL! I must be weird because I usually sit around trying to figure out why they are so bad! LOL

1. JamaGenee profile image78
        JamaGeneeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, then I'm weird too, EM.  I don't try to figure every bad hub, but I have studied a few...and then I remember I'm giving the hub a long view time, same as if I *like* it.  Click out real quick at that point! cool

6. Kelsey Tallis profile image62
    Kelsey Tallisposted 15 years ago

^^^ AWESOME!

7. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 15 years ago

Dunno. Ain't been around long enough to start getting uppity and sarcy. Though personally, I'm a fan of sarcasm. Makes the world go around and all that.

Or is that love. Or money?

By edict of the late Freddie Mercury he doth determined that it was fat bottom girls.

8. Cris A profile image60
    Cris Aposted 15 years ago

I sometimes practice my creativity with the language by writing a sarky comment. But it usually comes across as a hoodwink. I guess my likable personality precedes me always cool

1. profile image47

you lil charmer, tis why I loves ya !

1. Cris A profile image60
        Cris Aposted 15 years agoin reply to this

And BC, you're right. A little sarcasm won't hurt - specially when it floats over the recipient's head or drop to his feet cool

1. profile image47

Exactly my friend and I wouldn't be rude, just slightly sarcastic, like would I be rude I ask you : )

9. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I usually don't waste my time on them, unless I am really bored or annoyed... smile

10. mayhmong profile image75
    mayhmongposted 15 years ago

As for me, it depends on what the hub is about. For example, if someone says that Clay Aiken was gay, I would give'em a piece of my mind!...then again, he really was gay.

11. Eternal Evolution profile image71
    Eternal Evolutionposted 15 years ago

If i come across someting that is absolutly horrible than i'll down rate. I'll only leave negitive comment if the person has writensomething completly horrid. I have left a few comments for a hub that was pure rubish. But usualy i try to be nice an if i really like a hub i'll rate it up and comment.

12. calebd profile image60
    calebdposted 15 years ago

I only say something snarky if I find a fair few people have decided to agree with the hubber's unsubstantiated point of view. Sometimes popular hubs will consist of someone spouting something completely inane and similar-minded folk agreeing mindlessly. Otherwise, I generally live and let live, with the occasional thumbs down.

13. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

I never or extremely rarely leave a snarky comment, I never flag down or flag up a hub.  Don't see the point of that (have bantered or disagreed, however).  It should be a free market for ideas.  Also don't want to ruin any person's business or readership in their space.

14. cindyvine profile image68
    cindyvineposted 15 years ago

If  hub is bad I just move on.  I have to say that I have read many bad hubs where people have commented, "Great hub" and I thought, you gotta be kidding me.  Maybe it's just me that thinks its so shyte and the content and grammar is bad.  In those cases, when everybody else has raved, I just say mmmmmmmmm

15. profile image47

Great hub, oh sorry wrong place !

16. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 15 years ago

Depends on my mood for the day.  Usually no, I leave the room without a trace.

17. MissJamieD profile image55
    MissJamieDposted 15 years ago

Are you butt-wads saying that simple page views are intended cuts and sarky comments? lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)