Why Hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (43 posts)
  1. robertino profile image60
    robertinoposted 16 years ago

I am not sure I understand the meaning of "HUB" used for this site.
    Can someone explain it to me?
    Thank you!

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

It's an ancient celtic word that means, "a place to advertise and sell your internet marketing services and earn some affiliate money. "  - So you will fit right in.

robertinoposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Hey Mark,
      Thank for replying /answering to my post/question. I have to admit, I am more confused now.

Did the "Ancient Celts" have access to the Internet?

Here what they say about "Celt" KELT /Selt
      a member of an ancient Indo-European people who lived in central and western Europe. They were driven to the western fringes of the continent by the Romans and some Germanic peoples, especially the Angles and Saxons.

"They were driven to the western fringes of the continent"  OUCH ...by the Romans ( hops ..those are my people sorry...)
      just kidding I did get the idea and therefore  the association here.
      Thanks again.

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

ROFL and LMAO at the same time big_smile

4. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image62
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years ago

LOL It's so nice to have Mark back big_smile

5. Mark Knowles profile image59

LOL

Well, I mean......

At least it was a little more inventive than, "Hi, I am new to these internet stuff. Look at my hub and tel me what you are think.".... and then it's all about how to sign up for an affiliate program. smile

I deifnitely want a sarcastic smilie though big_smile

6. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

Super Mark Knowles sails in to create amusement and joy out of the bare bones of yet another tedious and ill-directed thread.  smile

7. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

I want the sarcastic smile too.

8. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

I want the accent.

9. chabrenas profile image61
    chabrenasposted 16 years ago

We-e-e-l-l. Somebody did something to get a hubscore of 65 for a first hub. But the video seems more 1980s than 2008 to me. I'm more convinced by Frank Kern's style.

Whose accent do you want? Mark's? Or the video narrator's?

10. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

any.  like most americanz, all accents are exotic to me. :p

11. robertino profile image60

Hi Guys,

YOU made my day. ROFL real hard I mean it...
    I am posting this after the reply to Mark and after I read all your "comments"

Truth is HUB is a place a core/central place  for whatever activities, a busy and prosperous pace.  Temporarily, for some three years I live here in Dubai, the Trading Hub for Middle East or the Hong Kong of ME.

My honest question was and still is: Why HUB? 

I have been on the net for a very long time and just heard about this place three days ago when someone sent a spam email to me telling me about an
    e-Book he wrote on how to get more traffic using hub pages.
    So here I am with my first “Hub”

Then, I did some research an found out Google does like “Hubbers”
    Does that make any sense?

Just posted a new "Hub" and I think I am getting better but that is just me.

12. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 16 years ago

Someone sent you a spam email?

Was it someone you knew?

How did they find you?

But onto the hub thing... think "hub of activity". It's a place to go to find out more about any given topic.

13. Mark Knowles profile image59

I was just joshing with you and gently pointing out some of hubpages' rules about what is acceptable practice:

http://hubpages.com/help/user_agreement

The hub you have now deleted was a plain attempt to promote something externally, and served no useful purpose other than that.

Sadly, the next hub you have posted breaks the rules in a different way, having been copied in it's entirety from somewhere else:

http://www.freebusinessgift.com/reallife.htm

I have also flagged this one as I am keen to see this sort of thing gone from hubpages.

And yes, the ancient Celts invented the internet some when around the middle of the iron age. They soon discovered it led to all sorts of health and sanity problems that involved people spending too much time in front of a computer screen and wisely hid all the evidence. Despite some people's claims to have invented the internet recently, they are merely copying the work of those ancient Celts. big_smile

14. robertino profile image60

Thanks Mark the Celt ;-)

I edited one "hub" and deleted the other but already had a comment on the "BONEHEAD" hub and regardless it is something that can help others.
    You are the Boss so let me know if that "BoneHead" should stay. (off now)

15. Mark Knowles profile image59

hehe,

It is not my decision. Hubpages decide what stays and what goes, but they will lower your hub score if your content is copied from else where. If your score reaches a certain level, a nofollow will be applied to all your outgoing links and the hub will get buried in the morass of other similar hubs. I believe your current personal hubscore means that is already happening, but I'm not sure.

For myself, I prefer not to see this sort of thing for purely selfish reasons. Anything that lowers hubpages' rankings both in the eyes of the search engines and visitors will have a detrimental effect on traffic site-wide, which includes my work. I make money from this and do not wish to lose any income from that.

Damn those ancient Celts for inflicting the internet on us big_smile

Hey Mark,

I understand now and really thank you for the sound advice.

Quality content is King and we do need to provide that for selfish or any other reasons. Period.

Not to go off topic but you started the “Celt thing”

I am smiling when I type this and that is because for whatever reasons a thought  keeps coming to mind.
      The brave Celts!

I keep imagining a reporter asking people on the streets of New York (for example...)
      Do you know what a Celt is?

And this is  where I start laughing. I truly think that most may say… what? Is that some kind of food? Seriously I do not think many of today youngsters would know anything about the Celts. And that is sad but may be a sad reality.

Just thought I’d share my laugh with you.

1. wychic profile image83
        wychicposted 16 years agoin reply to this

While I wouldn't consider myself a TYPICAL youngster I'll at least chime in that I've been studying the Celts for quite a few years...and have just now hit the ripe old age of 21 tongue

Sadly...I'd expect you'd get quite a few answers such as "oh, isn't that some sort of sports team?"

16. funride profile image67
    funrideposted 16 years ago

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_34_3.gif Mark? It´s good to "read" you here again!

1. Kenny Wordsmith profile image74
      Kenny Wordsmithposted 16 years agoin reply to this

What he said! (Can't do it as graphically as he does!)

17. Mark Knowles profile image59

Hey funride,

Thanks. I love that whatever it is you added. Do they do a sarcastic one? big_smile

18. Mark Knowles profile image59

LOL I am glad you took it in the spirit is was meant. Take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE

1. funride profile image67
      funrideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Well I supose it´s possible to make similar videos all around the world. Unfortunately I´ve already seen (and meet) ignorant people from almost everywhere hmm

I´ve laugh much more with this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFvz5mCH4TU

But this don´t mean English people are any better than Americans LOL
      And this next one can confirm it tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_mkwB9ayK4

2. wychic profile image83

LOL, I just got around to watching that...need I a better argument against public schooling?

19. robertino profile image60

Hey Mark,

YOU SIR are so GOOD.

I cannot believe what I just saw... LOL ...
    Hey I am Canadian. Any videos?

I'd like to think we are better then that but one never knows...
    LOL. I'll have another beer for that one alone...

Take care...I have tears in my eyes right now...

20. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

The video was too perfect.

21. robertino profile image60

I have one more question..Oh NO!
    What does that number in bold and red near my lips mean?

Hey let me just say this it is an honour for me as a 55er (that may go down soon...)
    siting here with all you 99, 98 ers... eh?
    I think that is just fabulous!

Thank you all for spending time with me.
    Cheers!

1. Lissie profile image76
      Lissieposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Its your hubscore as an author - check out the faq basically reflects # of hubs/traffic/# of comments etc.  Each individual hub also gets a score based mainly on traffic and content

22. Mark Knowles profile image59

I will see if I can find a Canadian one smile

Such a funny video though.... Sad too.

23. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 16 years ago

Why not?!

A hub is a hub if the hub is not a hob nob, but why did the hub become not a hub in the town of hob nob?

I do not know!

24. robertino profile image60

Hey wychic,

Good for you and to be humble is a great quality and a social asset you should be proud of.

You are definitely not a “typical youngster”  and sorry did not mean to target any specific group. Young and old are same at heart, while interests and experience may vary.

I was fortunate enough to have met a “Celt Lady” in Canada when I was about your age, and she often talked about her Celtic heritage. My impression was of a community of people who inherited great cultural values and ware taught  how to enjoy life be friendly and help others, in brief.

In Canada, there are great communities of Celtic descend, specifically I know of the one in Prince Edward Island Province (P.E.I.). I like their music which may date to many centuries back but well preserved and also like the tapping of spoons used as an instrument. And of course their girls are “wild” and “generous”.

Anyways, I think I should do a “hub” on Celts if “Mark the Celt “ does not do it;-)  It could make for a great Hub.

Wadaya think Mark?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

It's all yours. big_smile

2. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes, go for it, and as one of this community's resident Celts, I'll give you a mark out of ten!

(Just joking smile

25. Mark Knowles profile image59

hehe,

I lived in Wales for a few years, so I have some first hand knowledge of that particular flavor of Celt. Of course, I am English and the Welsh probably hate us more than anyone so it wasn't the best experience. I even had to learn Welsh in school, and if there is a harder language to understand, I would be surprised. This is an example of the Welsh language:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch 

This is all one word and it means, "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave"

1. wychic profile image83

Yikes, someone once told me that if Welsh isn't your first language you'll never be able to speak it right, I guess now I understand what they meant!

26. Mark Knowles profile image59

LOL
    funride, those vids are great.

27. robertino profile image60

Mark,

I laugh with tears in my eyes again.  Thank you!
    YOU are Hilarious. Period.

I only  hope other people who read your post on Welsh language would have the same sense of humor as you do and do not take it the wrong way.

But you may find that two of the most difficult languages may be Chinese and Japanese and I am proud to be able to communicate in both. (forget writing I am just happy to be able to speak)

Oh...I did find a Canadian Video...
    http://www.immigrationtocanada.ws/Canad … Video.html

28. William F. Torpey profile image71
    William F. Torpeyposted 16 years ago

I'm reading, I'm listening, I'm watching -- and I'm laughing!

29. VioletSun profile image80
    VioletSunposted 16 years ago

These videos made me laugh. Thanks guys for the humor in this thread and laughs! big_smile

30. Mark Knowles profile image59

Got to have some fun too - what's the point otherwise?

I knew I had an appropriate Canadian joke somewhere, it just took a while to find it.

http://markpknowles.com/wp-content/uploads/canadaop.jpg

Hey Mark,
      We have many jokes in Canada sadly though most are about the Neighbors on the south of our border;-)

Mark Knowles wrote:

Got to have some fun too - what's the point otherwise?

I knew I had an appropriate Canadian joke somewhere, it just took a while to find it.

31. diana1000 profile image60
    diana1000posted 16 years ago

Well I have good news for you as you are actually on top in relation to where my country is so you are my bitch !

32. profile image51
    broalexposted 16 years ago

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

LOL ! Hubpages sound nice to me ! Well some people use Hubpages to promote their businesses online , to get back links to their blogs or just they just love writing and maybe earn some extra cash , to go somewhere nice on Sundays. I laughed all the way down this forum posts :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol: Mark You Really made people laugh here smile People should understand that The Content of Each Hub matters the most !!! If the content is great you get tons of traffic from Hubpages ==> Your HUB score goes up and that how your Hub becomes a Hot Hub ! And not to forget originality is a great asset here ! Search engines will prefer your HUBS and show them up in the
    first few search results !

Some Tips Hubbers should consider !

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-get-more … -your-Blog

Good Luck Everyone big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)