Should Marijuana be legalized?

Jump to Last Post 51-64 of 64 discussions (132 posts)
  1. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

Yup, yup. But I'm not just talking Cali..various communities in various states...colorado, I know off the top of my head.

2. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 15 years ago

I say yes, of course, but I don't touch the stuff as I have had some terrible experiences due to it in the past even though I have a "hippy" image! lol

3. MotherHubber profile image60
    MotherHubberposted 15 years ago

Yes.  Don't bogart that joint.

1. Bard of Ely profile image79
      Bard of Elyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Please do bogart it and don't pass it to me! lol

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 15 years ago

"So you feel that legalizing something that seems to be good is the answer.  You think that we will have a choice?  You don't know the government all too well.  They found some other substances very harmful for people and yet they passed it--Aspartame.  Then on the other hand something that really would help those who are suffering from pain--they will stop that in the bud.  Go figure!

Edit:  It's about money and control."

I agree that medical marijuana should be legal.  I agree that the government allows unhealthy stuff (Aspartame) to remain legal (although, nasty as Aspartame is, it's potential hazards are very different from the kind of problems something like alcohol and marijuana pose.

I have no doubt that for some it's about money and/or control; but I also know that for many other people it isn't about either.

(It was "long".  Oops.  smile  I have a tendency to let "discussions" turn "more in-depth" than most people tend to prefer.  I don't blame anyone for skipping such a long post.  I suppose, as someone with the apparently least popular opinion about the subject, I guess I was trying to explain my unpopular views a little too much.  smile  )

GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Lisa, are you for taking alcohol away? Its more harmful than marijuana. Just a question.

Share and Care:
      ...then let us parents find a way to keep it away from the kids without having to deal with both the kids and the law...

I like your attitude. smile I just don't know if I could trust every parent to be as "proactive" as you. Not that I'm dissing anyone outright here.

G|M

5. Share And Care profile image59
    Share And Careposted 15 years ago

I read and researched and watched the kids and their friends react and how their lives are going !! the answer coming from a mother will be YES let it be legal then let us parents find a way to keep it away from the kids without having to deal with both the kids and the law.

6. Share And Care profile image59

One day, just one day we will reach a point were humans are roaming the face of the earth with a big smile feeling peaceful and their hearts are filled with love and their minds are level, without the pressure and demands of society and the modern world protected from the evil of the greedy predators.  This new breed of humans will seek no aid to give them a temporary way to escape any pain nor they will seek to play with alternatives to create music or a poem.... One day mothers will let there children go to school without the fear of a wolf hiding in the bush and the mighty cop drawing a gun or a badge there will be no need..... One day so many parents who lost their children to drugs and to the fake image of how safe weed is those parents will worry no more ...People marijuana other than what the medical field use it for is danger to health read all the medical criteria and to an addictive mind and personality it becomes an obstacle to ones progress in life, now who is kidding who really  most kids that tried it were let to more and led troubled lazy days and life.....

GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I like your attitude. smile

7. Share And Care profile image59

Thank you smile  I tell you I sit on the sidelines sometimes to catch my breath and I watch and observe... and the scene is not but a scary one, thinking you are taking a break to watch the raging river of life instead you loose your breath in AHH after AHH ....!!  there is a thief behind each of us trying the best tricks to steal our souls, and this thief is the master that has soldiers in the physical realm that is trying all their best to steel our lives and our best loved ones right before us...I think its a spill from heaven, the fight between good and evil splashed on earth and here we go...The most painful experience a man can endure is death when a loved one depart, although we know that the soul never dies but we grieve, but honestly there is a more painful deat and its when the dead breathe right before you roam the earth in oblivion and fail to recognise you when the dead is alive, they are you son, your brother, you best friend and your next door neighbour, they just fail to remember, because one day someone led them to a substance that stole their identity and robbed them out of their minds, souls and hearts, that is a more painful death.

8. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

Hehe. you write quite well. ;P

How about making us a Hub to read? ;P

9. Share And Care profile image59

I am thinking how to do it and what to write about... I have few Ideas...not sure how to start

10. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 15 years ago

Sufidreamer and G/M, my point with the analogy and the idea that "the public" could have massive "exposure" to something (even in if in small, spread out, doses) was a matter of comparing second hand smoke to any potential/possible, negative, consequences showing up in many small doses in society.

With regard to liberal policies in any area, you've probably already seen this story that was out not long ago:

http://robertrandall.wordpress.com/2008 … -victoria/

I haven't done a whole lot of reading up on that particular story, but it's enough to make me wonder if such liberal policies are as problem-free as some people think they are.  (Of course, there's the added element of prostitution in that mix - and I'm not even going to think about that one right now   smile  ).

Again, I'm not completely sure about what anyone thinks is the best idea (myself included).  I just can't come around to feeling all that comfortable with the idea of legalization, even if I see the "the other side" has lots of valid points (too).

1. Sufidreamer profile image79
      Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That is fair - certainly, there is no 'correct' answer here. Making people into criminals for smoking it is not the way, but legalization is not the perfect 'magic bullet.'

Personally, if you had asked me a few years ago, I would have said 'yes' without hesitation.

However, some of the modern strains of marijuana are extremely strong and potentially psychologically damaging. Another factor to throw into the mix smile

1. Colebabie profile image60
        Colebabieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thats true. The THC level was 3-4% now it is up to like 18% and really really potent can be up to 26%.

1. Bob Cedar profile image58
          Bob Cedarposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Again though, it's all a matter of self restraint. With strains featuring that high of a THC level, you would only need to do a little to get high.

11. Research Analyst profile image72
    Research Analystposted 15 years ago

As the old saying goes people want what they are told they can not have, so if you make something illegal more people will be more tempted to engage in the activity because humans seem to be drawn to things that they are told they can not do, once it is accepted as an everyday thing then it looses its mystery and feeling of danger. So I would say its a hard question to answer because there is so many different aspects to it.

12. k@ri profile image86
    k@riposted 14 years ago

I really don’t think marijuana, in itself, leads to the use of harder drugs.  I think the fact that it is illegal, and the people kids can buy it from are part of the black market is what leads to this.  The people who have connections to sell marijuana, also have connections to harder, more addictive, more expensive (and therefore, more lucrative for them) drugs.

If the kid is already doing one illegal drug, one people like DARE have lied to them about the effects of, what is the real harm of trying another.  The dealer will push this because it will make them more money…and a more consistent source of income.  I think if you cut the black market out of the mix, kids will have less access to stronger substances.

I’m not saying that they won’t smoke it…they still smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol…however, they won’t have to associate with the darker elements of society.  They will have their older friends, brother, whatever, buy it for them, just as they do with alcohol and cigarettes now.  Or, they will steal it from their parents.  hmm

I don’t think it is exactly right to legalize something that is harmful to people, but we do it every day.  We do half the studies and let the public have it.  I know this is not good logic, but I do feel we spend WAY too much time, energy and money on fighting marijuana’s use.  There are greater evils out there that we should be concentrating on.

I’ve known many extremely intelligent and successful people who smoke marijuana, and probably still do to this day.  I cannot because as a nurse there is too big of a risk of losing my job.  No high would be worth that! 

I had thought that all of the information available to kids today about the dangers of smoking cigarettes would have meant that very few would smoke.  However, as my daughter became a teenager, I found out how wrong I was.  The stories she would tell me!!  I am blessed that my daughter doesn’t smoke or use drugs, but that was her choice…one that I am very grateful for.

Just my two cents...although it seems to have turned into 20! smile

13. Ron Montgomery profile image58
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

California is currently considering legalizing the personal use of marijuana and I think it is a great idea.  I have outlined the economic benefits in a recent hub, but basically it comes down to spending resources to incarcerate otherwise law abiding people, vs. a huge influx of tax dollars to a state badly in need of them.  It has to be controlled, (better than alcohol currently is)and continuing public education is a good place for some of the tax revenue, but legal or not-it's gonna get smoked.

14. its_the_skittle_e profile image66
    its_the_skittle_eposted 14 years ago

You lose brain cells from it, well thats what I've been told.
    But I am a straight A student and I major in Children Writing. I smoke pot 2-3 times a day for the last 3-4 years.
    I see no harm in it.

What if we found another plant that causes the same reaction are they going to illegalize that?

I think it is stupid.

They are legalizing everything else and this economy needs the money.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)