What motivates you to exercise?

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (57 posts)
  1. profile image0
    fit2dayposted 12 years ago

I hear many people talk about wanting to exercise, get in shape, etc, but many of them talk about something they have no motivation to do.

What motivates you to exercise, what discourages you?

1. bgamall profile image66
      bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Diabetes. If I want to feel better, take no medicine and sometimes make a mistake eating, I have no choice. I have to exercise.

1. dan2003 profile image60
        dan2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you are right. I have diabetes, too and I have to practice at least 30 minutes a day. I bought a treadmill and I continuously walk on it every day.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have small dog who needs the exercise almost as much as I do. She is a 'house dog' and  though we have a couple of acres in a rural neighborhood, we do not have a fenced yard.

We go down to open the chicken nest box, and again to collect the eggs. We go down to the garden to plant,  weed, or harvest vegetables. We walk down to the creek to check on the tadpoles.
      Also our rural mailbox is 540 steps from our front door, so that is another walk for me-- sometimes twice a day if I have outgoing mail. Most of it is up and downhill.Other chores around the property give us exercise-- otherwise I would be a computer-linked couch potato.

3. sassyk73 profile image72
      sassyk73posted 12 years agoin reply to this

My big gut motivates me. Lol...I am discouraged because I am lazy sad

With all jokes aside, I need to because of diabetes and high blood pressure. The doctor told me that it is imperative that I start.

4. sarovai profile image73
      sarovaiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To feel energtic throughout the day. smile

5. profile image0
      lostwithinmyselfposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Putting so much weight on that i freak out then i get so motivated lol. Then once i have lost it all i pile it all back on again!! viscous cycle lol  sad x

6. sholland10 profile image83
      sholland10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wearing a pedometer.  It helps me compete with myself.  I love to turn exercise into play, so the Wii Fit is a lot of fun.  I even wrote a hub about this.  Drink lots of water and figure out a way to have fun with exercise.

7. LeslieAdrienne profile image69
      LeslieAdrienneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Looking in my full length mirror. No matter which way I turn, I see motivation.

8. Debby Bruck profile image66
      Debby Bruckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Now that you mention it, I better go out for a walk. I think having a reminder, a partner, and a personal reason to move your body. To each his or her own.

9. Subdomain mom profile image60
      Subdomain momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I consider exercising when clothes get too tight to wear. I also feel the motivation when I have a function to attend. So seeing as fuctions do not turn up very often, neither does my willpower for exercise.

10. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I was younger, I worked out so I could touch my toes...

now I do it so I will one day be able to see them

2. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 12 years ago

For me it's kind of like for Rochelle - things that need to be done. I love to work but don't do exercise without the goal of getting something accomplished. I stretch and play with a dumbbell sometimes, walk and pace, but the real exercise is working. I have always loved jobs where I am in constant motion, preferably lifting, carrying, things like that.

3. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

The bear coming up fast from the rear. 

Other than that, not much.  My job typically gives me all the exercise I can handle.  Maybe not all I need, but all I can handle.

4. Hawk Fitness profile image60
    Hawk Fitnessposted 12 years ago

Its funny your last sentence asked what motivates you to exercise, what discourages you? What's motivated me for 10 years are the things that discourage me. Living in Nashville and dealing with musicians that are cocky as hell and wonder who you are as I sit at hard rock downtown its easy to use discouraging feelings.

5. Danette Watt profile image81
    Danette Wattposted 12 years ago

I started seriously working out about the time I hit 50 (was off/on before that and am now coming up to 55). What motivated me was the desire to get strong and stay strong. I was observing my in-laws as they aged (not gracefully, I can tell you). My motivation is still to be strong but I also am enjoying the benefits of a toned body.

6. Woman Of Courage profile image61
    Woman Of Courageposted 12 years ago

I love taking care of myself. When I think about exercising is important to my overall health, I am motivated. smile Exercising is a regular part of my routine.

7. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

I feel like I can take really good care of myself when my stress level at work is in check. The minute it goes haywire I lose my focus and my "survival mode" sets in. That only allows me to wake up every morning, show up to work, eat, and do other necessities that human beings must. That's it in a nutshell.

8. Danette Watt profile image81
    Danette Wattposted 12 years ago

yes, working out is definitely a great stress reducer. and for me, it keeps my depression in check, keeps the "happy hormones" flowing smile

9. thejeffriestube profile image58
    thejeffriestubeposted 12 years ago

Preventing a heart attack is what motivates me.

10. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

What motivates me to exercise?

My gut instinct tells me to.

11. yogaexpertsonline profile image39
    yogaexpertsonlineposted 12 years ago

It's really a great question to ask as well know that we have that motivation to keep yourself in shape and healthy. But may be I think sometimes motivation comes when we see our-self in mirror. smile

12. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I don't work out, I work. I find plenty to do in a day to keep me in shape. smile

1. yogaexpertsonline profile image39
      yogaexpertsonlineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's really a good idea in itself smile As working is also a kind of Yoga. Known as karma yoga smile

13. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 12 years ago

Having two dogs who need walking is part of what motivates me daily.

Also, if it weren't so hot in Texas, I'd be doing more in the garden, which involves a lot of walking, bending, and stooping.

I haven't worried about strength conditioning -- yet.  I have osteopenia, though, and my mom, age 91, has osteoporosis.

When I can, I will purchase a rebounder, because my doctor says jumping on a trampoline is great for increasing bone mass.

1. Hawk Fitness profile image60
      Hawk Fitnessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's great gracenotes. My great grandmother lived to be 99, she walked a mile everyday, took a multivitamin, and changed her pillow case every morning.

14. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

I do not have a car - that motivates me every day... big_smile

15. happypuppy profile image68
    happypuppyposted 12 years ago

A healthier body.  What discourages me to exercise?  Hmmm...never asked myself this question.  I guess I'm lazy sometimes.

16. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

I usually go for an hour's walk a day.  My motivation is that I am normally stressed, and a walk helps to clear my head.  Also, I enjoy walking through the fields and watching the rabbits and the fish in the brook.

17. mcgreg28 profile image64
    mcgreg28posted 12 years ago

My health

18. Writerly Yours profile image65
    Writerly Yoursposted 12 years ago

After dropping 60 pounds since 2005 and working on 20 more, the thought of putting those hard worked 60 pounds back on is motivation enough for me to get up and move.

In addition, seeing my mom have a brain aneurysm in '08 and survive it keeps me motivated to move more. As well as cancer survivors running with me last year at a 5k race for cancer research.

The fact that that i should be grateful for the ability to move freely while those that can not push themselves to do it motivates me the most.

KIM-keep it moving!

19. Jenna Pope profile image60
    Jenna Popeposted 12 years ago

For me, it's seeing my weight balloon. When I exercise, I burn calories faster. I have lost 30 pounds over the past two years and don't want the weight to creep back on.

20. sober_insanity profile image61
    sober_insanityposted 12 years ago

being tired is a big problem for me so low on energy cant get up to work and then add that to cleaning after my 2 kids all day and i just dont have the motivation seeing my house dirty after i just cleaned it is a total demotivator

21. sober_insanity profile image61
    sober_insanityposted 12 years ago

so when im not tired and all my chores are done i feel happy and motivated to go work out

22. profile image0
    Robin71posted 12 years ago

When I graduated from headstart we wore little gowns like the big kids version.  We were each given a letter from the alphabet to recite in a speach.  Guess what my letter was-'E', my speach (which was given to me by my teacher) went like this;

"E, E is for Exercise.  It helps build strong muscles and keeps you healthy," etc....

And now what's the one thing I can't seem to get motivated to do-EXERCISE!!!

I need to lose weight and do want to be healthy, but I just can't get into any thing that I will stick with.  I've tried several things or rather diets in the past and all have stated that exercise is key. I've try several different types of exercise and still I end up giving up. 

So I'm not motivated to exercise at all, but really wish I was.

23. mandypoole profile image59
    mandypooleposted 12 years ago

Its hard to get motivated, but I try and remind myself that I always feel better after exercising - especially mentally.  Like the experts say, exercise releases the feel good hormones Endorphins, and I believe that because my mood does lift if i exercise regularly. Its a nice feeling to know I am looking after my body.

24. AliciaC profile image94
    AliciaCposted 12 years ago

I have several motivations for walking (my favorite form of exercise). None of them involve staying fit, although that’s one effect of the walks. I enjoy walking as a form of transport. I love to explore new areas and to observe nature as I walk. I need to walk to exercise my dog. I also make plans when I walk, and walking helps me solve problems and cheers me up when I’m depressed. What discourages me from walking is the time involved and sometimes the energy needed just to get going. Sometimes I have a busy work day and evening and I’m so tired at night that not even my dog’s pleading expression can persuade me to take a walk!

25. Sean Evans profile image75
    Sean Evansposted 12 years ago

This sounds bad but what originally got me motivated to exercises was know that most people in society did not. I used to hate being anything close to how they acted. So I made sure I was stronger, and faster.  (Better than them)

Now I'm older and I've become one "of them" lol  I stay active and workout still but it is more like a habit now.  I feel sickish after too long of not working out or being physically active.

26. jonte2020 profile image60
    jonte2020posted 12 years ago

5 years ago nothing motivated me. Bu then I looked in the mirror and saw that I was heavily overweight. I got a schoolassignement where the idea was to try a different diet for a week. I tried to eat Low Glycemic food for a week. Ever since - that's the only thing I eat. Now training is like a drug to me, if I don't do my one and a half hour a day i feel really lazy and fat, I just can't stand not doing it smile I actually hate Sundays, because it's the "day of" from training.

A great tip for those who want to get motivated is to write in forums (like this) and help/get helped by other people. Hometraining is also a great tip because that does not require any transportingtime. You don't need machines to get strong, free weights are the absolutely best!

27. Disturbia profile image59
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

What motivates me is that I really enjoy being healthy and looking fit... and dating younger guys doesn't hurt either. tongue

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree.. also it's cost efficient to not have to buy bigger clothes or go to the Doctor or buy prescriptions.....

28. profile image0
    Holmes221bposted 12 years ago

Fear of death, so in an attempt to run away from mortality by getting a bit fitter.  However, I quickly fall back on chocolate cake and sherry, because the effort of exercise can prove to be a bit much.

1. Disturbia profile image59
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think I am at an advantage here since I have never had a sweet tooth.  I might enjoy the sherry, but I could easily pass on the chocolate cake since I'm not a big fan of either chocolate or cake.

29. R.S. Hutchinson profile image70
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

MY EX's motivate me to exercise!!!! I want to shove a big SCREW YOU look at me now B!tch! in thier face!!!

1. Disturbia profile image59
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WOW!

30. cheaptrick profile image76
    cheaptrickposted 12 years ago

The thing that motivates me most to exercise is death...ya,that's it...death...is this the pot thread?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol  mad  yikes.....ya, where is it anyway?

31. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

Motivation for exercising comes from fear....fear of gaining it all back, which I already have!

32. chablis345 profile image61
    chablis345posted 12 years ago

I mistakenly believe that if I exercise I can eat what I like - unfortunately my scales disagree!

33. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

I love to walk.. walking is a great form of exercise.  But there are days, that I also don't feel like going out there (specially in the winter) and walk.  What motivates me is knowing that if I skip one or two days, I might get lazy and not walk at all.  And that is not good for my health.  I walk to stay healthy.

34. Angelmerced profile image58
    Angelmercedposted 12 years ago

Looking at my daughter ignites my enthusiasm and heighten my energy to do the required exercise for me..I wanted to see my three year old daughter grow. So, I need to live longer because I do believe that the more physically fit a person is the longer he/she lives... But what demotivates me of doing so is that when I am physically and mentally stressed.

35. profile image0
    Penny splendidposted 12 years ago

Not having colds as often is a good motivation.
    When you exercise, if you do get a cold,it seems to be over in only a day or so instead of the week it takes to disappear when you are unfit.
    If I am feeling really lazy,I go and watch someone exercise on youtube and that has me wanting to go and workout too.

36. Mother-Right profile image58
    Mother-Rightposted 12 years ago

Walking my dog helps me exercise and the treat of leaving him at home for awhile gets me to go to the gym.

37. profile image52
    tsisulposted 12 years ago

When I start feeling tired a lot, I know it's time to exercise.

1. debbie roberts profile image70
      debbie robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm a morning exerciser and my motivation for exercising is the buzz and the energy I get from it, it makes me feel good all day. Nothing much will discourage me.

38. goconstipation profile image59
    goconstipationposted 12 years ago

Exercise itself is rewarding for one's health.
    Confidence, Focus, decreasing stress.
    Discouragement in my reagard is the Fear towards getting healthy.

39. greatstuff profile image91
    greatstuffposted 12 years ago

yes it's got to be the abs..the big guts motivates me..it is now maybe 1/4 the size of what it was before.Relatively this is slow but dont worry, you dont have to be in a hurry..just enjoy yourself, dont push too hard. I started to do real exercise only 3years back. It wasn't easy but when you start to see improvement to your body, it gets addictive. I now do flexibility (yoga), strength (weights) and cardio (bike) taking turn over a month cycle.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)