Apology to Fundamentalists

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (62 posts)
  1. stillcurious profile image58
    stillcuriousposted 12 years ago

If I’m lucky, no one on Hub Pages remembers me. But, I’ve never been lucky so I am back to apologize to the fundamentalists.  I told myself I left in disgust at the forums; but the truth is I was disgusted with myself.  I had never been exposed to some of the beliefs as shared here and, in my confused shock; I conducted myself in a manner that goes completely against everything I have ever believed in. I do consider it an obligation to openly admit when I am in the wrong, even if it takes an exorbitant amount of time to swallow my pride enough to do it.

Anyhoo. I won’t elaborate further. To explain myself might add insult to insult already offered; but I will say that I firmly believe each person has the right to follow their own conscience; wherever it leads and mine is of no more value than yours. My actions were wrong and I hope you will forgive me.

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

you were called 'just curious' ?  I wondered why you vanished suddenly.

stillcuriousposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep. That's me. Motown talked me into coming back, but I think I'll check into the Edweirdo filter after I've eaten a little crow here.  I definitely got too weird for my own comfort.  I'm obviously not wired to take religion seriously.

1. jacharless profile image76
          jacharlessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

ello ello!
          James here (formerly Twenty One Days), welcoming you back!

big_smile

Oh my gosh!!! My favorite hubber.  Love the new Avatar, too.  I have to say, I did miss reading your posts the most. Is the book ready yet?  smile

1. jacharless profile image76
              jacharlessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good To See You.
              And thank you.
              Yes, book one is in the hands of an agent, as we speak.
              The Ism ©™ title is just about there. big_smile

James.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
              Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Welcome back to the rascally kittycats,not really hehe..

Theres a place for everyone here. We are all worthy smile

Cuz I said so lol

Welcome smile

2. profile image0

Sorry to hear you felt uncomfortable.  I was really enjoying your posts.  Then suddenly your account was gone

3. recommend1 profile image59
          recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't eat too much crow.  Fundamental religion is about burning the books, regressing civilsation, dumbing down the masses etc etc.  Keeping cool and polite when dealing with no argument - just  banging on about what one or the other absolutely knows to be true and all different - is wearing and frustrating.

However, it is good to stay above it and retain your dignity.

I for one am glad to see you back.

2. TMMason profile image60
      TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your a good person to even admit that. Alot  of us would not. God bless you.

3. profile image0
      SirDentposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are forgiven.  Welcome back!!!

Thank you Sir Dent. You always were a sweet heart. I knew you would forgive me.smile

4. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you are ever looking for someone on Hubpages with a little authority, come to me.  I have as little as everybody else.
      But, if I had a whole bunch of authority, I would place your avatar and the following verse above the doorway to the religious forums:

He drew a circle that shut me out.
      Heretic, rebel a thing to flout.
      But love and I had the wit to win,
      We drew a circle that took him in.
      --Edwin Markham

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Quill, I wish we all had the grace to recognize how little authority we have...lol  GREAT statement.  smile

5. DoubleScorpion profile image78
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Welcome Back, Curious!!!

6. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I noticed I'd lost a follower. (You were a follower, no??)
      Then your profile was gone.
      Then YOU were gone.

Good to "see" you here again.
      I wondered what happened.

I notce none of your "adversaries" apologised for anything they said to you.
      It's (a lot) one sided here.

Anyhoooo welcome. !!

1. profile image0

I wasn't an adversary

1. aka-dj profile image65

You'll have to stop taking my posts as personal all the time.

I have no-one particular in mind.

I'm glad you are of a clear conscience though. smile

1. profile image0

you were saying it was one-sided

It is, isn't it.

I have reasonably sought apologies from certain hubbers, without success.

In my mind, it is one sided.
              I certainly have apologised for comments and assumptions I'v made, incorrectly.
              PLUS, I have observed other conversations between hubbers whith the same results.

BTW, that's my opinion and observation. I have to say I haven't seen EVERY SINGLE post every single person has made. Sooo.... hmm

1. profile image0

I can't see where anyone apologizes here except for SC.  Some just say you're forgiven etc, but don't apologize.  I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I don't hink I need to explain it any better.

I believe you've read getitrites responses to my (recent)posts in another thread.
                  The last few stand as a good example of what I mean.

1. profile image0

I thought you were talking about this thread.  You are very confusing to follow

2. stillcurious profile image58

I got what you were saying dj.  You are right. But, I wasn't looking for any reciprocal behavior. I apologized more for me, than them.  I don't get the fundamentalist thing, but I had no right to look down on their beliefs.

7. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I remember you.   
      ...Not sure if I'm willing to carry the label of "fundamentalist" since I dunno how others, or even you, define it.
      But your post sounds very good.

You are right.  We all label things differently. I would define you as fundamentalist and the apology was extended to you, among a select group of others.

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Then, thanks, and I forgive you.

2. profile image0
    Valemanposted 12 years ago

I think I can understand where you are coming from.  I am an atheist, and am opposed to the forcing of religious belief or morality onto people who do not share such views.  I also consider myself liberal and left-wing, and feel the need to argue against injustice based upon religious dogma.  However, having recently been attacked myself by people who consider themselves liberals, I have come to realise how intimidating such people can be.  There are extremists on both sides of the debate, and I am beginning to question my own right to ridicule religious beliefs, which to me may seem ridiculous, yet may be held dear by people, and which give them meaning to their lives.  And what right have I to say the religious believer is holding onto an archaic belief system?  Just, as they should not feel that they have the right to ridicule my atheism.  There is a lot of anger surrounding the question of religion, when it could be possible to agree to disagree in a way that does not belittle those of different views.  Having said that, I doubt human nature will ever truly allow such a state to exist.

1. profile image0

I agree ridicule doesn't help any discussion.  People get really touchy with their personal beliefs and tend to over-react. 
      I persevere here, because I'm curious as to how people come to believe what they do.  Sometimes it's so frustrating, I feel like just not bothering at all.

1. profile image0
        brotheryochananposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just by reading the book, praying and avoiding sin and number one: keeping my eyes on the person and works of jesus the author and finisher and everything inbetweener of my faith.

1. profile image0

Do you think you are above ridiculing and judging others?

3. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

I would also like to say Welcome Back.  I recall that your posts tended always to be quite thought-provoking and interesting.  At least, the ones I read were.  smile  I agree with TMM that it takes a big person, a good person, to admit that they are eating crow.  I'm not sure that you "need" to, but then I didn't and don't read everything in the forums.  I remember that in the last thread where I saw you, I made a comment that made a lot of sense to me until I let it sit for a day or so.  When I reread it later, I realized that it could easily have been understood in a different way from what I meant.  I'm guessing that sort of thing is the cause of a lot of disagreements here!

I don't know about Edweirdo's filter, but I believe the new sign-in page has the ability to show forum threads only in certain categories - I think!  If you play around with it, you may find that it will help you to see only (or primarily) the ones you want to see.

1. livelonger profile image87
      livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I must have missed the posts you're talking about, still/justcurious. I thought your posts and Hubs were thought-provoking and well-considered.

4. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

Welcome back, my friend.  I, for one, welcome you with open arms!  Maybe we all take ourselves a bit too seriously now and then.  Let's just try to stop that and be friendly to each other no matter what our differences.  I'll join you in the quest! smile

Thanks Motown.  Sounds like a fun quest, but I'm done tilting at the old windmills.  This forum strangled all the curiosity about religion out of this cat, I hope.

1. profile image0

I just meant the quest to be friendly.  smile  I know you're not done with that one!

Friendly is good.  I'll just tell them to talk to the hand if they bring up relition. smile

1. profile image0

Awesome.  Just remember to say it in a friendly way! lol

2. profile image0

your cat still has 8 lives left?  This forum can be frustrating - I keep telling myself to frequent here less and write about my views in my new blog instead

I don't know anything about blogging.  Probably not a bad thing to check out.

1. profile image0

I've just started out with a free blog with google blogger - seems easy enough to use.

1. profile image0

That's where I blog also, Baileybear, and I've found it very easy to use so far.  It's nice because it's for the purely personal stuff that wouldn't be suitable here.  I have to admit that writing hubs is more of a challenge for me, but the blog helps with the flow of words and ideas sometimes.  That's nice.

1. profile image0

I haven't written any hubs for a while.  I've been writing on my website and blog instead.  The blog is good to gets something shorter out.

1. profile image0

It is.  I haven't paid much attention to my blog, but I'm going to start doing so.  I'm committing to set aside a block of time each day for writing, and the first part will be for just blogging.  Then I'll move to hubs.  smile  Happy blogging!

5. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 12 years ago

I thought you needed a rest. Glad you did.

My my.  If I have caused some confusion; let me clarify.  My opinion of your opinions stands unchanged.  Actually, it was your posts and the fact that others felt compelled to cheer you on that pushed me to speak out. If you thought this was a blanket apology, it was not.

1. profile image0

well that is unfortunate. It seems you have come to half of your senses.
        get some more rest.
        Others cheered me on because you were off the deep end and i purported biblical truths that you just were not able to process.
        Good luck in the future

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
          Daniel Carterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For being such a follower of "Jesus", your ego is pretty massive, based on this post.
          Where's the love? I'm not feeling it based on what you wrote here.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image61
            Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good to see you again Daniel, I was worried you had gone the way of other hubbers that I miss dearly.
            smile

2. profile image0

what a shame. Were you around for the conflagration that preceded these posts? I don't think you were.
            What you mistake for ego is of course only assurance and confidence.
            And the love... well you first need to understand "the love" and then you can find it. You see, love does many things according to the situation. A hand may get slapped when it reaches for the hot burner and bandaid get applied when an owie occurs or a stern warning is proclaimed when danger is imminent, even a rebuke can come from love, or a correction or encouragement. Love may even be in the background waiting for an instance to come forward.
            Perhaps you feel what you need or want to feel and that is entirely your situation. Do you feel love when you write a song?

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74

I think its kinda mean to take sides.

On one hand Curious makes an opology then later edits it by sayinhg oh by the way thats not a blanket opology . In effect Im sorry to you ,and you ,because I like you , but I dont like you ,so Im not sorry.wink

I have agreed with some points that BrotherChan has said and also been supportive of opinions of just curious in previous posts,as with others.

I agree with very little that Mark believes in for example ,but I don't dislike him for diagreeing with me.

2. Cagsil profile image69
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This statement coming from YOU of all people? What a joke.

1. profile image0

and that statement coming from you is typical. Remember salvation awaits everybody from jokers to disgruntled egoists. I am not sorry to have put mortal wounds in your theology over the past time and your anger at me is understandable, your doctrines of self - sucked, but,  Please try to put the anger away and remember, truth can hurt and Jesus knew this.

3. stillcurious profile image58

And this is exactly why I turned off the email notifications on the droid. It would have been nice to find some droll atheist post here to make me laugh so I could calm my spirit before I responded; but I can assume Beelzedad and Mark have better things to do than think of something obnoxious to say about this thread.

I have only one thing to say in response. I left this forum because there is no way for a person that loves the message of Jesus to participate. You drag his good name through the mud with every post. Those who cheered you on drag his good name through the mud. There is nothing of Jesus in your interpretation. There is nothing of God in your heart.

It is not my place to sit in judgment of you and the only way that I can find my way back to the footsteps of Christ and try to live that truth is to run as far as I can away from those such as yourself.  I do pity you when I can force the compassion to rise above my revulsion.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Um didnt you just do what ya said you werent going to do -judge?

Or possible did you mean something else.

Personally I find Marks comments rather repetitive and occassionally immature ,but I guess its a personal thing.

Yes I did.  And if you had bothered to take the time to read the entire post you would have noticed that I did notice that.  But that isn't your style, is it? Those of you so anxious to ensure that everyone that doesn't agree with you knows they are headed to hell are in too much of a hurry to ever stop and think. What's the fun in that? You might actually understand a different point of view.

Cheer the little god on.  By my memory you do it well.  And if I remember, Mark was only attempting to be a reflection of the conduct of the Christians empty of any glimmer of Christ.  You summed it up almost perfectly. You are all repetitive; but not sometimes immature.  I would say it was closer to always.

Now that we have both sat in judgment of each other I'll be on my way.

I did read all of your post, I made comment on your last paragraph is all.

My style according to you seems to offend you?
                I am a little perplexed by that statement ,but you indeed are within your right to think whatever you want.

I think its cute that you are quick to defend Marks actions as well, but suggests your opology to Fundamentalists just might be little insincere.

Still good to see your up and running again sharing your thoughts again without bias or judgement lol

2. profile image0

uh oh here she goes again.
                She didn't solve her dilemma, she avoided it. She didn't dig into the word of God to discover truth, she took a holiday instead. There's a big difference. She turned off the email notifier so she wouldn't have to respond. Avoidance. Now it seems she only wants a laugh or two.
                Why is it every time a person corrects someone or points out the 'way' that those who pointed it out are derided? This is why i more enjoy an atheist free forum so that christians can compare and analyze scripture, instead of getting dragged through the mud, told their tome is useless and pointed to equally deceived atheists like whats his name - dawkins.
                Oh well. Praise God anyway and in all things, praise the Lord!

6. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Hey JustCurious/Stillcurious,

Welcome back. wink

7. IntimatEvolution profile image69
    IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

We all make mistakes.  But not all of us the courage to own up to them.  That makes you truly terrific!smile

1. carol3san profile image59
      carol3sanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello everyone.  Nice meeting you all. No I don't remember stillcurious.  In fact I am fairly  new to hub pages and am just beginning to post on the forums.  I love reading you guys interestingcomments.

Welcome to Hubpages Carol smile and specially to the forums.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)