Is killing someone worse than forcing them to live a miserable life?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (92 posts)
  1. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years ago

If you had the choice between living your entire life as a helpless slave to a cruel master or death which would you choose?

You are the master, the slave is absolutely powerless to do anything against you in any way including suicide.

Would it be more cruel to kill them or to force them to live?

1. Reality Bytes profile image73
      Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would die fighting off my oppresser!

2. Reality Bytes profile image73

What good would a helpless slave be?  The master would probably kill the slave versus feeding clothing and providing shelter for them.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
        Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Obviously you have never been a slaver owner, RB! smile

I am a slave, we all are.  We belong to the United States Government.  Each of us is property used as collateral for the debt that our bloated Government has incurred.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
            couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can always move to another country, buy an island of your own, or steal a shopping cart.

The United States is my country.  The UNITED STATES Government does not own the country it belongs to the people.  It was a treasonous Congress that put us at the level of chattel.

I can do whatever I want including expressing my opinion!

Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

, President,Governers,Mayors, City Council-persons and greedy business people in secret meetings making secret deals

If you can do whatever you want then get the Government to enforce the laws the millions of Criminal Invaders are breaking.

3. TJenkins602 profile image61
      TJenkins602posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Death!

DEATH!

4. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

maybe it would be better to kill ignorant bigots? - those that conduct hate crimes on gays and people with brown or black skin in the name of an invisible deity.

After all, ignorant bigots are slaves to their own delusions

????????

Criminals should be punished under the law. Be they "criminal" Immigrants or "Criminal" bigots.

Criminals are Criminals, and they should be punished under the LAW as the "LAW" provides.

We can't be a Nation of Law abiding Citizens that get to choose when the LAW isn't the Law just because we sympathize with the criminals in a particular instance...

Can We?

Is the "LAW" subjective to personal feelings about the plight of the Criminal's miserable life???

1. profile image0

I would say death is an easy option for a criminal.

Don't forget LAW is made by people - was was acceptable law centuries ago might be considered barbaric now

Then should we expect Criminal Immigrants to take that easy way out and kill themselves?

roll

1. profile image0

people can't help where they were born.

You are using the word 'criminal' to paint people that are trying to survive best they can as dangerous.   Yet the Europeans stealing the land you live on from the native indians is not considered criminal because there was no "LAW" against it. 

Anyway, your rigid view seems really hypocritical and narrow-minded.  Maybe you should be thankful you were born somewhere where you automatically get to be 'American', with all that entails, since many Americans seem to think they're better than everyone else.

So since I was born poor I should go rob some rich person because "I can't help being born poor"??? Yea that's sound logic.

From my ancestors (Cherokee Indians)

and so I should just roll over and allow these "poor immigrants" that have had such a miserable life steal my homeland? Because I was born in a rich and prosperous country? That's your logic?

Lose your jealousy of the United States and stop classifying criminal behavior as ok so long as the crime is committed against people you believe deserve to suffer.

You sound exactly like Hitler. Kill 'em all they killed Jesus! (you're not him in disguise are you?)

1. profile image0

you have a very twisted way of thinking

roll

Thanks for playing.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Yes. I have to second reality byte's sentiment. I don't know that I could resolve myself to such a fate to the point of choosing death.

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

Nice... but not an option.

You are the master, the slave is absolutely powerless to do anything against you in any way including suicide.

Would it be more cruel to kill them or to force them to live.

Resistance and refusal of consent is always an option.

2. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In the instance your providing, then letting them live would be worse than killing them.

However, I see something bigger coming with your instance.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd chose to die fighting them.

3. Hollie Thomas profile image61

Rubbish, even in the depths of despair, there is a way to fight.

for the sake of this discussion, assume there is no option c.

the only possibilities absolutely are option A or B.

If the possibilities were only option A or B, which they never really are in real life. I would chose to kill myself, allowing the supposed slave to walk free and P*** off all those who chose to oppress.

Your death is the slaves death as well. Your choice here is another try at an option c, which does not exist.

...or better yet... your suicide makes you the slave and forces someone else to make the original choice.

And, your questions here are completely unrealistic (although I do acknowledge that this is a completely hypothetical situation) If option C does not exist than there is only A or B. Or death combined.

Which doesn't answer the question... (death combined would be an option c, which does not exist).

I gave you another option but you have refused to recognize that as A or B is an answer and I have just decided that your original post makes no sense.

another option does not exist...option c cannot exist. The choices are absolutely A or B.

Or maybe you're just being difficult? lol

4. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

"Give me liberty or give..."

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

So if I am understanding the available options in this scenario:
    I am in charge of whether this slave lives or dies.

If I had a slave I probably wouldn't care much about his/her quality of life. I would care only what that slave could do for ME.
    Killing them might actually be the more merciful option. But I probably wouldn't see it that way. I probably wouldn't even consider their life as "miserable" because I would lack empathy.
    There's also the issue of punishment. Am I subject to legal prosecution if I kill this person? I which case that option would definitely be worse -- for ME lol

OK, in this example you do know and understand the consequences and the full meaning of everything involved. You are legally empowered and required to make this decision. You know and can empathize with the slaves misery so "option c" being unaware of the slave's suffering therefore not accountable for "the misery" is again not an option.

Death or miserable life... that's it. no qualifiers no exceptions, no easing of guilt. a LIFE hangs in the balance of your decision.

Are you trying to sway my decision by capitalizing and BOLDING the word LIFE??

I would ask the miserable person what he would want me to do and act according to their wishes. If they valued their life, as miserable as it might be, then I would keep them alive. If they begged me to please put them out of their misery, I would do that.

See, when I get empathetic I REALLY get empathetic! lol

Yet another option C. They would respond "I want to have your beautiful life." (which isn't possible and you know that, which is why you are being forced to make this decision).

Your option C in this case: Have them make the decision for you. Which they will not do.

No, they would not have the option of saying they want my beautiful life.
            That is clearly NOT an option -- or at least not as I interpreted the situation.

My point is, I would confer with the person as to which of two unhappy fates they would rather have. If they consent to live a miserable life, then there is no point in killing them, is there?

and they, like you, would refuse to accept that there really was only an option A or an option B and would eternally search for the non-existent option C. Which would force you back to the reality of the choices A or B.

Your option C choice this time: refusing to make a decision.

Well then I would most emphatically choose B because there is always a chance that circumstances can change, for either my slave or for me.
                Death is final (unless you believe in an afterlife, which is a related subject but likely going to be called out as yet another "C" diversion. smile).

A miserable life it is.

Yeah but what do I care?
                    I have a beautiful life, along with the power to decide whether someone else lives or dies!!
                    Whee.
                    Let me revel in this imaginary moment.
                    Ok.
                    I'm done.

6. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

Changing the subject to avoid choosing is an option C... which does not exist... <grinning> (Happy Birthday Hollie big_smile )

Thank you Mikel smile

7. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

2 choose death and one choice for misery...

anyone else?

8. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

A miserable life it is.

BUT there wasn't just one slave there were millions of them and they too have an A or B choice to make based on your choice.

A Accept thier fate of a miserable life.
    B Fight you and try to kill you and/or take your "beautiful" life.

In thier case however there does exist an option C, they can do the hard work of repairing thier miserable existence. Which will be much harder than simply taking your place in the world (your beautiful life) and making you the slave.

Now which option do you suppose they chose?

They chose Illegal Immigration/Criminal Invasion and the theft of our lives.

The President must make a decision about the fate of our nation, and the fate of the Criminal Invaders we are plagued with. One very much like the decision I posed here. My choice is similar to yours, I'd deport them and make sure they knew if they came back across the border they would be put to death. Anything less and the United States as we know it will end.

Rubbish.

Is it?

Yes, you chose to blame those who are less fortunate than yourself in an attempt to explain the problems of the US (that they are attempting to steal your beautiful life) You make absolutely no attempt to look beyond the superficial. They are not stealing your life, they are merely trying to live (Don't we all have that right?) Who is stealing your beautiful life? Who's foreclosing on your home loan, moving your job to China? Is it the poor immigrant? Absolutely not, but who would have you believe that?

I'm homeless, jobless and living on a tiny little boat I'm about to get kicked off of and I don't see much hope for my future. My skills include landscaping, construction, handyman, maintenence, warehousing and factory laborer. The jobs for these skill sets have all been stolen by Illegal Aliens. I lost my home do to that joblessness. Lack of money has meant I haven't been able to see my kids for almost 3 years now. Don't go spouting off to me about the poor Criminal Invaders that have it soo bad. I didn't go to thier country illegally and put them out on the streets. I am not turning thier once beautiful country into a 3rd world country, but they are doing just that to mine. They are thieves, liars, and con-artists, bent on the destruction of all that I hold dear. THEY MUST GO!!!

It is against the law for them to be here. Break the law, go to jail. If there is no law there is no United States.

You using this scenario and comparing to what the President has to do is quite different.

His decision isn't based on an absolute, such as your instance is and as I said before, I knew this was coming. hmm

3. profile image0

you seem to have forgotten that 'white' Americans are immigrants too

Who said I wasn't including "white" Illegal Immigrants in the group of Illegal Immigrants?

1. profile image0

This is what you say on your profile:
          "God also created the Racists however and I believe that is so we don't, as a species, become so mixed that we lose the diversity. God wants some pure whites, some pure blacks, some pure forms of each race. God also wants every possible combination of mixed races to exist. That is why God joins, in the bond of love, people from different races, and why some cannot stand the thought of mixing races. Racists are in every race, as God intended, they just need to lose the hate and accept that God knows what God is doing, even when what God is doing isn't what they want."

hmmm.

1. Cagsil profile image69

lol lol lol lol lol

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
              Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

God created everyone..and He let is chose how we wanted to live-choices.

In hindsight I bet he wished he'd made us all robots lol

I doubt that.

I believe God truly Loves Diversity, and all the little differences we have is what makes creation interesting.

Could you imagine how boring creation would be, for God, if we were all the same?

1. profile image0

so people of mixed ethnicity are all the same?  What a crock.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

I was jesting ,but you must agree God as Father must be fairly ticked off by now wink

BS.
                More BS.
                roll

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

Uhmm.. No Actually...

This is what I posted on My Profile:

God LOVES diversity.

The more variations there are in creation the more God likes it. God also created the Racists however and I believe that is so we don't, as a species, become so mixed that we lose the diversity. God wants some pure whites, some pure blacks, some pure forms of each race. God also wants every possible combination of mixed races to exist. That is why God joins, in the bond of love, people from different races, and why some cannot stand the thought of mixing races. Racists are in every race, as God intended, they just need to lose the hate and accept that God knows what God is doing, even when what God is doing isn't what they want.

In the end, it will be God's way... all POWERFUL... remember.

1. profile image0

whatever..just as confusing.  It sounds like you're racist but pretending not to be

ahhh...

leaving out key parts of what I truly posted, to make me appear racist was an effort on your part to bring truth and honesty to the thread...I think I understand you. Especially since if I were a racist the truth of what I am saying could be dismissed without being examined too closely.

Nice.

1. profile image0

adding a few more sentences doesn't clarify anything here - you come across as a thinly disguised racist

and you come across as a not disguised at all racist.

Racism is racism, even if it is racism against the white race.

2. profile image0

btw - there human 'races' do not exist in modern humans - we are all the same 'race' ('species')

4. profile image0

the irony is, that nearly everyone that lives in countries like America, Australia, New Zealand are born of immigrants that stole the country off the indigenous people that were there first.

You Americans rant on about what it means to be American.  Some Australians do the same about Australia. 

Western countries think people are miserable if they don't have lots of mod-cons and lead a simple life.  The Australian Aborigines were self-suffficient and happy in their culture until the Europeans turned up.

If those same Aboriginies had done what I believe must be done now to the criminal immigrants (deportation or execution), then the Aboriginies would still be content in thier homeland.

...and by the way I'm one of the original inhabitants of the United States. I'm a descendant of the Cherokee people. So what the Criminal Invaders are attempting to do now has already been done to me once. (Don't worry, the racial slur you lobbed at me earlier really didn't hurt my feelings).

1. profile image0

you sound exactly like James Watkins (you're not him in disguise are you?)

5. profile image0

The western world materialism may provide a reasonably comfortable lifestyle, but 'beautiful'?  How shallow

9. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

For the record I posted this topic in the Religious Options forum as opposed to the Political one because it is a religious/moral decision not a legal one, since the legality of ILLEGAL Immigration isn't in question.

1. profile image0

well seems like US politics and religion are one and the same anyway

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Speaking of Commonwealth countries so too is  the Church of England  New Zealands head of states affiliation.

Cant get away from those religious pompous heads roll

Jesus had the Pharisees, we have the Monarch wink

10. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 12 years ago

Killing a person versus what I perceive to be life incarceration as it pertains to America's justice system. This is not an easy question to answer but I'll throw my hat in the ring. Life is a very precious thing and many people have given their lives in an attempt to preserve their way of life. Military soldiers who have been prisoners of war talk of the inhumane suffering they had to endure at the hands of their captors. As they suffered day in and day out they explain to the reporters they maintain their sanity because even though they were in prison in their mind they were still free.

Any rational person does not want to see anyone on death row, now having said that when it comes to incarceration there have been and I believe still are some people who are worse then the legal system itself. These sociopaths have no regard for human life. They feel no remorse for the brutality they inflict. The criminal behavior from some of these people have sickened Harden police officers. Personally it seems an insult for innocent people to have suffered horribly at the hands of an individual/s who cannot be trusted around other human beings. To care for this person's medical, social, financial and what other needs they might have while we bury their victims and simply forget about them.

From my view it would be ridiculous for sheep to invite the coyote in to break bread with them. Once the coyote gets out of confinement guess what they're going to do.

11. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 12 years ago

Being alive is way better than being dead by far. What do dead people get to do except eat dirt? Nothing.

Dead people usually have no appetite. lol

I'm going to have to disagree...

All the Zombie movies I've ever seen are full of dead people running around eating anyone they can get thier hands on...  hmm 

big_smile

1. carol3san profile image59
          carol3sanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Am I missing something?  I thought movies were fake.  So because those old horror movies are fake, Mikel G Roberts, I will disagree with you.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61

Yes, I have to agree with carol3san, they are in fact just movies and have no bearing on reality.

12. aware profile image66
    awareposted 12 years ago

Taking a human life . is the worst thing one can do. Its rule 1. to me

1. profile image49
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this
  13. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 12 years ago

If this is supposed to be an allegory of a christian lifestyle,

then i will simply say, "There is no miserable life and no cruel master."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)