Updates to the new Hub design!

Jump to Last Post 51-76 of 76 discussions (241 posts)
  1. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I still hate the Pinterest-style vomit.

If I was looking for proper information and came across an article with that sort of c__p down the bottom, I would immediately assume the information presented in the article was not trustworthy.

The message I am getting from all this is that Hubpages is actively discouraging visits from what has been my target audience, namely the intelligent layman, sometimes defined in the UK as readers of The Times and The Guardian.

I would like to know why an opt-out is not possible. Not all of us are targetting the illiterate masses in what we write!

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

Agreed, WriteAngled!  I don't like this new-age "copy everyone else" crap.  What happened to individuality, and standing out as the leader and trend-SETTER, instead of following the masses like a bunch of stupid sheep?!?!?!?!!

1. janderson99 profile image53
      janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this
  3. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

What?  I cannot believe people are showing displeasure at anything our honest, trustworthy, caring, HP staff are doing to our hubs.  Don't you guys know they respect us and only have our best interest at heart.  Even when they do things which stink to high heaven it is merely an oversight on their part.  I cannot stand by and let you guys say bad things about them, even if it is true.  So watch it!  (too elitist?) lol

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. WannaB Writer profile image86
      WannaB Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Here's what I don't get. HubPages also likes to earn money. If this design detracts from our earnings, doesn't it also detract from theirs? Why would they shoot themselves in the foot? Many sites seem to be adding new features they think will bring more traffic or hold readers longer. Many are doing similar things. They seem to be like musicians being conducted by someone else -- Google, perhaps? There must be some reason these site owners are marching in the same direction, albeit by different routes. Maybe they know something we don't. They've given us some great new features -- The HubPages Ad program, questions under our subdomains, etc. I'm sure if this innovation is as bad as some of you think, they will change it back, or modify it.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't see what's so hard to understand. The new look will get more page impressions perhaps as people will click more hubs and this will increase ones HP Ad Program earnings. For most people the HP program is a million times better than Adsense and hence this would benefit most people. But, I love the design other than the Pinterest style - It should be more limited

1. Bendo13 profile image77
          Bendo13posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll be happy to hear that others have higher earnings with the new design, I just haven't heard that yet.

Ya that's true - it could be because most of the people don't use the forums. You could try asking a question as more people check them out.

WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Over three weeks or so, two questions I put up have had a total of 50 views. Going by that experience, I doubt very much that more people look at questions than follow the forums.

50 views awesome! I'd be happy if my questions got that many views. But, I mean the questions do pop up on the stats if that option is opted for. So, its a higher chance of people reading it

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

Corporations CAN be notoriously short-sighted.  Often, by the time they find they've shot themselves in the foot, it's too late to fix it, and they go under.  Welcome to The New American Way.

5. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 12 years ago

Another reason as to why the Pinterest style base of the hub should be limited is that users will then have a limited choice and it would be easy for them to decide where to click (If they reach that far). if they're flooded they may just quit and go to another website.

6. Alternative Prime profile image57
    Alternative Primeposted 12 years ago

I don't quite understand why HP is apparently compelled to accept full responsibility if another site wide situation occurs in the future as a direct result of such drastic, and some might even describe as reckless and or irresponsible changes to the Hub Layout -

My instinct dictates the prudent avenue to pursue would be to shift the extremely heavy burden of responsibility to individual sub-unit owners via voluntary participation in the new Photo / Link heavy layout verses the unilateral implementation of mandatory, universal, site wide, "All In or Nothing" policy - Thereby allowing each member the opportunity to choose his / her own destiny and ultimate fate - Proper disclosure indicating the potential risk(s) associated with participation and subsequent acceptance of the terms should provide for enlightened decisions -

A free choice should enable each individual member to either reap the benefits of a potentially successful Hub Page demolition, deconstruction, and complete rebuild overhaul modification in the form of the "New Layout", or suffer the detrimental consequences -

I think "Individual Choice" would be a reasonable, responsible, sensible, and of course logical solution for all loyal members such as yours truly, who have invested countless hours of time over the course of almost 2 years, considerable resources, exuberantly enthusiastic passion, and of course money into this site, who would obviously choose not to participate in this type of risky, shadow style venture -

The preceding, along with "Solid Good Will Relationships" I've been fortunate enough to build and will continue to build many years into the future, with a rapidly expanding, uniquely HP, dedicated and loyal universal audience of visitors / readers, for which I am extremely grateful, would make it virtually inconceivable to simply tear down my expertly developed contributions designed exclusively for the HP demographic and rebuild from foundation up at another venue - I hope everyone can appreciate this sentiment -

1. Michael Willis profile image68
      Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well said!  It should be optional for the hubber. The all-or-nothing is a bad concept. Is HP really wanting to risk the entire site on a single layout?
      Let the author choose to take the risk or not. If it ends up being a very lucrative layout, then others will follow. If it fails, then there is less work fixing the problem.
      I have read in the forum where they say, this study, this data...you can find data on the web to promote anything you want or disprove it.

2. janderson99 profile image53

I don't think so ..\\
      We're all in this together ..\\
      You can't have multiple views on the one site ..\\
      The pinboard doesn't load until you get to the last comment ..\\
      The author has his/her related hub displayed at the top ..||
      HP has been a winner with the subdomains, ad program etc...||
      The text area has not changed ..//
      We've all had our say ..//
      Move on ..//
      Cheers ..//

1. Bendo13 profile image77
        Bendo13posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Changes are fine if they are tested first and proven to be progressive, not regressive, changes.

......./ \
          ....../   \
          ...../__\
          .......||
          .......||

As my Gold Coast Property Developer mate says:

'You can't stop Progress'

7. Alternative Prime profile image57

janderson99 my friend, although very little if any of your previous two comments address the underlying critical core issues of responsibility and sub-unit relationship in a logical or reasonable way, I do appreciate the response -

Keep exercising your freedom of speech right to desperately try to convince yourself "If they do not scroll, it does not exist", and I might just continue to address the real, substantive items which may have a long lasting, genuine, positive or detrimental impact on the virtual entity known as HP if and when the switch is flicked, and the new layout is implemented site wide - Impacts which may take months or possibly even longer to realize and evaluate properly -

Right now, unfortunately, I would have to assume the decision has already been made, sealed, and finalized with no room for additional consideration nor constructive imput despite its importance. Therefore, the massive conversion from "Hub Page" to "Link Page" will presumably occur on schedule, without delay -

I work on the assumption that HP
      => strives to improve its business
      => acts in the interest of the hubbers
      => has a talented and dedicated team of designers
      => has the most comprehensive set of data on traffic and site performance
      => welcomes feedback and suggestions
      => listens to opinions
      => will not act to shoot itself in the foot
      ARE GIBBONS [http://www.gibbons.asia/gibbon5.jpg]
      http://www.gibbons.asia/gibbon5.jpg

8. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 12 years ago

???? really ????
    OK so they've allowed sidebar "related Hubs" to link to author group Hubs. If HP really welcomes feedback and suggestions, then why have we got so few staff replies to this forum's overwhelming objections to the size and numbers of irrelevant links on our pages? And why do they not reply to this forum's many questions like:

1. Why are the links more prominent than the Hub?
    2. Why has the line between comments disappeared?
    3. Why has "read more Hubs by..." disappeared?
    4. How long is the trial period?
    5. Why place a share button before the Hub has been read?
    6. Why is the footer so fat and ugly?
    7. Why not remove HubScore from public view (show it only when signed in)?
    8. What happened to Google + ?
    9. Does placing the same links on every page in a category count as duplicate content?
    10. What is HP's position on wanting to be like Pinterest (which it isn't with its three columns layout as opposed to the five columns layout of Pinterest)?
    11.What are the legal consequences of photo copyright infringement to subdomain owners?

The HP staff/author relationship is not a master/pupil or even employer/employee relationship. The relationship is symbiotic. Many good earning authors on HubPages are professional experts in their field and deserve to be treated with a little more respect. HP depends on its authors more than vice versa because we can always move our content elsewhere.  A little more acknowledgement, more response and transparency would save us all a lot of time and bother.

AN ANGRY SUE ADAMS

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1 a great and detailed list/comment Sue smile

I need answers to all the questions other than the time of the trial period. Because the team did say it will be as long as needed. Thanks for this list and I hope someone actually answers the questions - at least some of them if not all!

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I, too, think we deserve a response to these questions.

With the change to the size and "relatedness" of the top related Hubs, I'm much happier with the layout.  I still wish the Hub was fractionally wider but I doubt we're going to win that fight.

3. profile image0
      writeronlineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Excellent list, Sue. Compelling, concise, clear, cohesive and clever. Kind of how we'd all like the new Hub page layout to function. If HP simply read and attended to your list of concerns, that would be good enough for me.

Sadly, the fact that they choose to instead disrespect the intelligent, helpful input from so many authors with vested interests, and professional skills, relevant to the topic at hand, suggests that the concept of a 'symbiotic relationship' is perhaps a little too sophisticated for the HP corporate IQ.

I marvel at how an organisation supposedly based on capitalising on the power of the written word, can be so inept at communicating with the people who supply the product.

9. Alternative Prime profile image57

So apparently, when there is nothing of deep substance to add, just a laundry list of snippet sized bullet points, shallow in their brevity, and some of which in fact I don't necessarily disagree with, your subsequent answer is the photo plastering of a boring, hideous looking monkey to suffice as substitute for intelligent conversation? - It would have been a bit more amusing if it were a chimp - More light hearted and zany - But once again, your reply is appreciated -

What about a knowledgeable, highly skilled & capable legal staff? You seem to have neglected that one. What happens if and when HP must defend itself in a court of law for copyright or patent infringement allegations? Furthermore, what happens when each sub-unit is separately involved by name? Not a likely outcome if an action is eventually filed but you must prepare for the extreme, unforseen circumstance right? Are you capable of defending yourself or would you need to hire counsel to help with Due Process, Adjudication, Juris Prudence etc?

Everything appears to be nice and cozy between the two entities right now but what happens when the competition and friction begins? We tear down the layout and start all over once again? Tell us, what is so appallingly wrong with the un-tampered layout that we are forced to forsake it unto oblivion?

I just returned from a brief investigative oriented excursion to Pinterest, A site which is unquestionably unique and a place where I would certainly consider spending some spare time, however, I once again re-affirmed my discovery that the front page is almost an exact match, virtually identical in every way to the New "Hub" Layout at page bottom - We all feel unjustly violated and totally disrespected when reckless individuals trample our rights only to hijack our invaluable work to be used in some other evil domain god knows where, we then proceed to jump up and down like a maniacal "Bananaless" Monkey (The Fruit), and rightly so, ---- Now, we've morphed into the very devil we despise with sights on other sites?

Considering the extensive amount of time, energy, resources, and money I've invested in this site, just like many other longstanding members, if HP fails, I lose, and that's a fact - Constructive Input is my objective -

GIVENS (ie assumptions)  = GIBBONS   ha ha

I like to be concise.

10. Alternative Prime profile image57

NOTE: My last post was in response to "janderson99", not "Sue Adams" -

Please forgive the interruption Sue -

A. Prime

1. Sue Adams profile image95
      Sue Adamsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's OK A.Prime,
      I agree with you and thanks for delving into the legal ramifications.
      A few  sayings apply in this context:

"Can't have your cake and eat it" (mixing HP with Pinterest)
      "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

But if they want to try a major change in layout, then be it in collaboration with subdomain owners and not compulsory over our heads.

They may be shorter, but the width of the sidebar image is the same, so that's not really much of an improvement.

TO SUM UP: In the nearly 2 weeks we've spent on this issue we have received only 1 positive reaction from HP (the group related links).

Well, I ask you guys and gals, is that being welcoming to feedback and responsive?

11. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

I don't understand all the anxieties about the changes proposed. The general approach is a good one. The page content is prominent. The picture links will not take readers away from your page, if you are genuinely addressing the searchers interests (which is your main task).

If a few more people go on to explore other pages on the site after reading your page, it will strengthen the site SEO wise which is good for all of us.

The aesthetics are Okay (if a bit Apple-ish). The mass of pictures at the bottom will attract a certain kind of person and there is no reason to deny yourself income from that group- as long as the images load at a reasonable speed. I imagine the site will be monitoring that pretty carefully.

The main point is testing, though. It is difficult to know if something will really work until you roll it out.

A magazine style site is certainly worth trying.

12. Sue Adams profile image95

Sure, why not try and test a magazine style layout but then please consider a better balanced and less obtrusive sidebar and "related hubs" at the bottom by adopting a five columns layout as shown in my second diagram below which many people on this forum prefer. Here are the two options again for newcomers to compare:

OPTION 1. New HubPages design with a three columns layout. The relative size (1/3rd of total width) of the sidebar and bottom hub links and ads overpowers the Hub itself.

http://juliettekando.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/HubPages-3-cols.jpg

OPTION 2. Proposed five columns layout. Gives prominence to the Hub rather than the links (sidebar occupies 1/5th of total width).

Advantages
    The advantages of a five columns layout for HP revenue would be:
    1. A more balanced, less spammy design.
    2. Instead of the current TWO advert options: 1/3rd of total width and Hub-width, THREE options would be available for clients: 1/5th (smaller), 2/5th (inside Hub = larger), and  Hub-width (larger).
    3. Enough space for FIVE bottom picture links per row instead of the current three (less scrolling to do).

If there is a concern about readability of a wider Hub (number of words per line), then the font size could be increased although half size photos and proper use of the "blue/grey" column already solves that issue.

http://juliettekando.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/HubPages-5-cols-layout.jpg

Well, it would mean changing the size of ads offered to advertising clients from a current 1/3rd of width to a 1/5th in the sidebar and a larger option of 2/5th (the size of the 1/2 size photos) inside the hub itself. Not that simple but possible.

Sorry to those who are fed-up seeing the above two pictures over and over again on this forum, but I shall repeat them until the brick wall has been smashed by our questions and this popular idea.

Yes - I'm fed up seeing these pictures over and over and over again.
      Reminds me of a song
      "On and on and on keep on dancin" baby till the night is gone' -- Abba or was it the Monkeys (whoops! don't mention them)
      3's a crowd
      5's a handful - makes we wonder why we have 5 fingers and toes?
      Good luck! Cheers!

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6481173.jpg

2. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sue, you've presented an alternative that I agree makes sense, and I applaud you for that. However, two things get in the way of your goals: HP has their own direction and we will never know exactly what that is; you are giving good advice for free while HP should be paying you for it.

I wrestled with this a few years ago, knowing I had value to add to a communications strategy for that time, but I never volunteered it to HP. I could have sent them a proposal, but I had a gut feeling my proposal would be disregarded. HP loves the input from its members, when that input is free.

What I'm thinking is that the effort you've put into this will work well for a site that you design in the future.

Just sayin'.

1. profile image0
        writeronlineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very sad. Very true. If there is a communication strategy in place, it must be a very small place. Maybe the toilet..?

3. Peggy W profile image95
      Peggy Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sue,

Personally I really like your layout and suggestions. 

Even with related hubs belonging to us at the top right, the current HP images (where they are being tested) are still way too large and detract from the hub itself.  Even IF the hubs belong in the same category...the photos will never be an exact match to the hub topic or title.  With smaller thumbnail photos such as we have now, the information is there for interested parties, but is far more subtle, therefore being a welcomed addition to the hub.  Your layout would be an improvement over the current proposed layout which I really dislike.

I truly hope that HP's evaluation time-frame as to whether this is truly going to generate more views and therefore income is a long period of time.  People may be drawn to it at first just to see what is going on...as I am sure Dolores Monet's hub is getting many more views these days...but to substantiate a true uptick in earnings over the long term...LONG is the operative word here...and that takes time.

Many of us who have put in long hours and years of time into improving our hubs and making them web worthy with all of the helpful tips, tools and improvements that HP provides (and we are grateful...we really are!) are finding this current layout very distasteful and detracting.

I hope that it is not what we end up with as a final result.

13. Alternative Prime profile image57

The envelope I believe is being pushed to the limit with the current, unaltered layout outside of the "Fashion & Beauty" Hub realm - A layout which now includes roughly 7 subtle, thumb sized yet easily identifiable and accessible related links injected into each Hub at the side bar -

The reader finds precisely what he / she is looking for in the Hub title or in the actual article body, if of course the author is performing his / her job exclusively with readers in mind, by appropriately matching text and photos with applicable title - Therefore, the near perfect connection and relationship blossoms between visitor and writer with potential secondary or tertiary considerations provided by HP in the form of subtle related links to the side for additional visitor exploration -

In the example above, we still have 8 huge, high gloss photo links situated at page bottom of each Hub - I once again feel the obligation to urge the exercising of extreme caution with this layout -

With such a dominating physical appearance by the 8 large photo links at page bottom, the segment will still remain as a primary feature and focus and therefore, subsequently open up another set of unique issues -

How do we as members independently audit the automatic distribution of said links to each page to ensure the system is functioning properly for fairness considerations? - With such high profile size and placement as depicted in the example, the entire dynamic and character will change - Equal and equitable distribution would then become a critically important issue -

I would urge HP to leave the current, unaltered layout as is and not implement a site wide change - Minor tweaks, as have been performed to polish the appearance and usability I believe would be fine and universally acceptable to all parties involved -

14. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 12 years ago

I, too, really like the 5 column look. Examiner.com uses a multi-column spread, which still gives WAAAAAAAY too much focus to "Related Hub-type stuff" (1/3 of the total width).
    We live in hope!

15. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 12 years ago

Group away, fellow hubbers, and spread the word about grouping! I took a look at a hub published today by an author who apparently doesn't know to group or doesn't care to group hubs, and the "related" hubs are laughable. It is a beauty hub in the new format. The hub is titled "Eyeliner: Tips and Techniques." The huge photo to the right is of a shirtless man jogging and the "related" hub that goes with it is titled "Do women like chest hair? Here's why trimming your chest hair beats any other grooming technique." The eyeliner hub is obviously geared toward women, and the chest hair hub to men. Not a good choice.

Additional "related" articles on the eyeliner article:
    "10 Ways for how to Calm Down When Anxiety Strikes"
    "How to study effectively - guide to effective learning skills"
    "Ten Rules to Better Role-Playing in Skyrim"
    "How to Venetian Plaster"
    "How to study effectively - guide to effective learning skills"
    "Handmade Beads: How to Make Beads Out of Clay, Paper, Plastic, and Glass: Supplies, Techniques, Tutorials, and More"
    "How to Build Interesting Characters in Skyrim"
    "How to Shimmy: Belly Dance Technique"
    "Money Saving Tips and Ideas for Teachers: Ways to Save on Classroom Materials and Supplies"
    "How to Work Out Percentages - Some Tricks to Help You Work Out Percentages Without A Calculator"

Only after scrolling through all those will the reader begin to see some makeup/beauty-related hubs. I am wondering if the word "technique" is in all of the unelated hubs and that's why the algorithm deems them related.

I have been having trouble for weeks now with unrelated hubs showing up in the spots for what should be related hubs. If grouping will solve it in the new format (doesn't work with the old format) I will at least be happy about that.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mine finally were straightened out for the most part.  At least my RV hubs are showing related articles.  But with this latest look I'm not so sure it matters anymore. 

The consensus seems to be dislike because of the fear the related hubs images may distract from the content and/or photos which hopefully has been found by searchers.  A valid complaint, no doubt.  Hopefully the designers know something we do not about this format.  Geez, where's that trust when you need it?  tongue

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
        SmartAndFunposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad to hear yours are correct now. Mine are better overall, but still not completely correct. My gymnastics hub has all random articles as related hubs, for example. Some of my baby name hubs still have automotive articles, and my child modeling hub has an automotive article, although it was fine last week. The unrelated related articles are fewer, but on a wider range of topics now, rather than all automotive. They seem to change from day to day and frankly I don't have the time or patience to keep checking all of them every day.

It sounds like at least grouping will help with the new format.

After checking a bit, I find some of my pages are still showing unrelated hubs.  So apparently it isn't completely fixed yet.  It is better than it was though!smile

16. johnakc profile image40
    johnakcposted 12 years ago

Thanks..

17. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Well, I stumbled across some new-design hubs. I hadn't visited any since my first observance at the beginning. I don't know if it was the tweaking or if I've just become acclimated, but the appearance seems just fine to me now.

18. englightenedsoul profile image58
    englightenedsoulposted 12 years ago

To be honest, I don't really like the new design, it makes me look at the pictures on the right first.  If I am searching for any information I would like to read the content. 

But I am glad, that Hubpages is still tweaking the new design and incorporating the suggestions.  Sunforged has discussed in detail problems and their solutions regarding the new design and I would be very happy if Hubpages could incorporate them.  Here is the link to the article for Hubpages and other members to read:

What Do You Think of Hubpages New Format

19. Isabella Snow profile image85
    Isabella Snowposted 12 years ago

Wow, sorry, but I have to speak up about this new design.

The footer is absolutely horrid and makes my head ache. It looks like a bad imitation of Google's image search. The new layout is not reader-friendly, and if readers bounce quickly because the site gives them a headache, it's not going to be very hubber-friendly, either.

There have been other changes over the last few years that I wasn't totally keen on, but I didn't comment about it in the forums and I got used to them.

But these new changes -- the new footer in particular -- just repulse me beyond belief.

The related hubs layout is horrible, too. I am the person who first requested the related hubs categories some 4 years ago and it made a huge improvement in pageviews. I expect this new change will have the opposite effect, since the related hubs now look like photo ads and I suspect many people will not even notice them due to ad-blindness.

The whole page is just an eyesore now, really.

What a shame.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When something is important enough for Isabella to come on the forums and give her opinion, HubPages should listen.  She and Relache know HubPages better than anyone - including most of the staff!

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

It does make one wonder where HP got the idea for this new format.  Almost everyone posting here seems to dislike it.  I wonder if those now using it have noticed any greatly improved traffic and earnings because of it?  Anyone hearing anything good?

20. HikeGuy profile image69
    HikeGuyposted 12 years ago

One of my hubs had a 90 percent loss in Google traffic after being put in the new layout.

I ran the URL through an SEO analyzer site and it had too many unrelated links -- many unrelated hubs that show below my hub come up as links on my page. The SEO site advised that too many URLs can result in being ignored by Google. The "related" hubs low on the page were also unlikely to be of any interest to my readers, and were not relevant for SEO. They add a lot of clutter and reduce my page's relevance.

I changed the hub category to remove it from the new layout. I ran the analysis again, and although a couple of -- still unrelated -- hubs show in the links, my page is no longer clogged with a whole batch of unrelated URLs.

None of my other hubs (all in regular old layout) had abnormal traffic losses -- and that one has never lost traffic before.

ETA: This isn't intended to alarm anyone. This is *one* hub and there could be other factors, yet given the timing of the extreme traffic drop and what I discovered about the excessive number of links showing in the new layout, it seems likely that the new layout damaged my traffic.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow.

Hmmmm.  That isn't exactly what I want to hear right about now.  yikes

3. Alternative Prime profile image57
      Alternative Primeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Although we as members and or staff are without definitive, essential corroborating evidence, therefore, not yet fully convinced the new bottom heavy trial Hub layout is indeed the direct cause of your situation within the realm of "Fashion & Beauty" HP articles, after reading the negative consequences possibly associated with the radical visual changes, now I'm not so concerned about what I even considered my mildy animated, demonstrably dramatic, and quasi "Alarmist" written demeanor expressed in some of my previous comments on this subject regarding the potentially severe detrimental effects of implementing such a drastic departure, or what most would deem as complete overhauling change from the original layout model -

I also noticed additional and or alternative layout ideas launched or soon to be rolled out by HP are now circulating for member input, a chance for everyone to express an opinion which is certainly appreciated, and we all applauded the hard work Sue A. put into her scaled back photo ad version, but once again, if I were able to communicate directly to Staff, I would strongly urge HP to seriously consider an immediate, indefinite suspension of all current layout modification intentions and trials pending thorough re-evaluation -

Why not re-direct those pent up, bursting sprites of creative energy on a pinpoint focus toward improving upon other areas of importance within the overall structure which will not have the propensity to jeopardize the entire site -

For instance, the elimination of distractions and potential cause of "Reader & Visitor Discouragement" such as unecessary "Hubber & Hub Scores" and the prejudicial & descriminatory effects -

WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely agree!

21. Daughter Of Maat profile image96
    Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

No joke randy! I just recently started getting more traffic and I WAS thinking this might be a viable way to earn a little extra money so my husband could spend more time with us, his family (our daughter is only 5 and rarely gets to see him), instead of working so hard. But if people are losing 90% of their views because of excess links, I might have to look elsewhere. I hate the new layout, anyway. It looks tacky, and greedy. There are so many ads everywhere, at least that's what it looks like. All the "related" hubs at the bottom, like Isabella said, are an eye sore! The author information is smaller so people won't notice it as much. Not a good choice hubpages. If I take a hit in revenue because of the new layout, I'll take my hubs over to squidoo or wikinut. I can't afford to put all this blood, sweat, and tears into my writing and not see any of the fruits of my labor. It's horrible!

I better stop before I say something I regret, I'm so miffed at the moment...

Let's just hope this is a fluke and not all of the hubs are so damaged.  Still, I think most are with you on the tacky look of the new format.  I always thought articles on HP had a bit of class compared to those on many other writing sites. Sort of cleaner looking and not so desperate in appearance. "Look at me!  No. over here, here's whatcha wanna see!  Step right up folks.  She walks.  She talks.  She slides on her belly like a reptile....."!  lol

Whew!  Is is getting hot in here?  Or is it just me? tongue

22. Sue Adams profile image95

With HikeGuy's full post http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/96018?page=11#post2057138, the list of questions is growing.

1. Why are the links more prominent than the Hub?
    2. Why has the line between comments disappeared?
    3. Why has "read more Hubs by..." disappeared?
    4. How long is the trial period? Answer: "As long as it takes."
    5. Why place a share button before the Hub has been read?
    6. Why is the footer so fat and ugly?
    7. Why not remove HubScore from public view (show it only when signed in)?
    8. What happened to Google + ?
    9. Does placing the same links on every page in a category count as duplicate content?
    10. What is HP's position on wanting to be like Pinterest (which it isn't with its three columns layout as opposed to the five columns layout of Pinterest)?
    11.What are the legal consequences of photo copyright infringement to subdomain owners?
    New Question:
    12. Won't our pages lose traffic for having too many unrelated links?

Any more questions? To give HP management an easy to work with summary of our concerns, copy the list and add your questions to it. So the next question would be Number 13 etc.
    PS Make questions no longer than one or two lines please.

sorry 13 is unlucky
      For balance, we need a new list - Benefits of the New Design ( 1 big vote from me)
      1. It looks clean, stylish and fresh
      2. The author gets the benefit of two of their own images promoting two of their own articles in the top right corner. They are 'in change of the wash' => better group design means happier users.
      3. The horde of unrelated hubs on the current design (right middle) is shoved to the bottom of the article that only displays after the last comment.
      4. Many people like the new design - 3's a crowd
      5. It generates huge numbers of Pinterest links
      6. What percentage of people read the comments? 1%? What that means is that the 'Pinterest Vomit' (I call it confetti) that some people call it only gets upchucked for 1% of impressions. This is 100 times better than the 'Unrelated Vomit' dished up every time in the current 'related??' list is generated.

continue at 7.

2. Alternative Prime profile image57

A brief message to HubPages Staff Member(s) if you monitor this forum -

Please do not unilaterally disturb, alter, amend, or change the current design, integrity, and possible "Viewership & Good Will" of my Hubs within the category of "Technology", or any other articles I have published within the balance of HP topics -

Please exclude my work from any upcoming "Stripdown & Build-up" experiment as expressed in your recent blog post referencing Hubs within the "Technology" realm, until it is unoquivecolly proven to enhance upon and or substantially benefit reader experience without instigating or triggering any adverse or detrimental consequences - A long term, high risk proposition which in my opinion, will take several months if not years to successfully test and provide subsequent supporting data to accurately determine positive or negative effect -

I do not approve of the impending plan which includes the indiscriminate, random dissection & experimentation to achieve illusory, unknown goals - All my Hubs were expertly designed and built around the current layout, to be visually experienced and enjoyed within this original context -

Thank You for your Consideration - A. Prime -

Good luck with that!  lol

1. Alternative Prime profile image57

- Overt Sarcasm Detected? -

1. Alternative Prime profile image57

- It's All Good -

It's a requirement for being an "asphole"!  tongue

3. Daughter Of Maat profile image96
      Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

The new layout does look an awful lot like pinterest. Is hubpages thinking that if they look more like pinterest they'll become more popular since pinterest hit it big? I think the new layout shows a horrible lack of creativity on the part of Hubpages. They couldn't come up with their own idea so they borrowed someone else's. Personally, I think pininterest is just a bunch of clutter. I have a cork board in my house, and it's all clutter. I don't want to see clutter when I'm looking for informative articles. I want nice, neat, professional looking pages that tell me the hub I'm reading was written by a professional, not a kid sticking thoughts on a pinboard.

Hey! its all happening in the other thread (Technology) including comments about this Fashion design and feedback
        http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/96498

4. Sue Adams profile image95
    5. honey profile image62
      honeyposted 12 years ago

I also did nt like the new look much.. the large number of links to other hubs at the end of each hub is very cluttered and spammy.. the link to images gallery opening in a popup window is also not good as it blocks the whole window and looking bad on IE and adding more to my disappointment there is a drastic drop in my hub views and my adsense earnings after the new layout has been implemented..

my suggestions would be to remove the pop window for viewing the images of the hub and keep it the same way as it was before as we used to get ad impressions for the  image gallery views in earlier format and now the views for gallery count as zero ad impressions causing great dip in ad revenue sad

also the top right link to related hub is good but thumbnail size should be reduced as it is the area which gets large part of attention from the readers and including two hub links with small thumbs rather than one big thumbnail is much more beneficial in getting the reader engaged to move on to next hub in the group..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)