100,000 readers and growing

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 11 years ago

This past weekend, according to Hub I officially achieved 100,000 readers, not fans but readers who have read my writings.  Does anyone know what the next plateau is that I should be and am aiming for?

1. daskittlez69 profile image74
      daskittlez69posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations Dave.  I am not sure what the next ranking would be, as you have had more than me smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Congrats on that. It means that you serve as a focus for people of kindred, benign spirit. That is indeed something to feel good about. Well done. smile smile smile

3. Ms Dee profile image87
      Ms Deeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dave, If you look at #26 under "faqs" you'll see all the accolades listed. The next increment for number of views accolate is 1,000,000. So, it will take us a while. Congratulations on your new milestone! smile

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

No Dave. You didn't reach 100,000 readers.

Those are views. Views don't mean that they actually read what you wrote, but does mean that they were on the page long enough to register as a view.

3. Doodlehead profile image47
    Doodleheadposted 11 years ago

Cool, Dave....whatever the right terms are I get it.    Good for you, and congrats!

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I get what he is saying to, but I would prefer people to know what they are talking about and using the correct terms are part of that.

Readers and Views are two distinct different things.

4. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

The next acknowledgement by HP will be at 1,000,000 views.

5. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

Wow, Dave, that is awesome.  In His Love, Faith Reaper

6. RyanBuda profile image90
    RyanBudaposted 11 years ago

weird. I went to check dave mathews profile to see what he's written and it says he's been banned from Hubpages. I can't help but speculate why...

7. friendlyaffiliate profile image59
    friendlyaffiliateposted 11 years ago

I guess Dave done something hubpages did not like

8. redwards01 profile image69
    redwards01posted 11 years ago

No hubs, No followers and his profile says he is banned

9. DZprowriter profile image56
    DZprowriterposted 11 years ago

2 years in hubpages almost 600 followers ,all his hard work is gone ...

10. Doodlehead profile image47
    Doodleheadposted 11 years ago

This must mean we are not supposed to talk about 100,000 anything, right?   Is this too wierd or what?

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not at all.  You can't get banned for talking about milestones.  The most likely reason is that his Hubs were plagiarized, or duplicate content, or about prohibited topics.

11. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

So what happens if you're banned? Do your hubs vanish into thin air or do they let you access them long enough to move them somewhere? I guess I need to make sure all of mine are backed up. I have copies of some, but not all.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You do get as long as you want to remove your hubs even after an account is banned. However, if you want back ups of your hubs as a precaution in case something dreadful happened like HP going out of business overnight, then you could look at using the free Add On called 'Scrapbook' which you can utilise on Firefox (if you use Firefox as a browser.) Even if you don't use Firefox generally, you could always add it to your computer and do the back up, but simply use your regular browser day to day. Scrapbook will back up all of your hubs at once including pictures, and in most cases it won't take more than a few seconds per hub published.

For full instructions on how to use Scrapbook there is an excellent YouTube video by Hubber Eric Graudins : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aUmTRrEsyE

So easy and so effective smile

1. SmartAndFun profile image95
        SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is great info. Thanks, mistyhorizon. I do not have Firefox and I'm hoping it's no big deal to do the add-on and then not use it once I've done the back-up. That type of thing isn't my forte but I'm off to watch the video and see what I can figure out. Thanks!

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
          mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Honestly it is easy. To download Firefox the browser takes about a minute. Then all you have to do is look for the 'Add Ons' and select the one called Scrapbook. This will only take about another minute at the most to be added to your Firefox Browser. You can then find 'Scrapbook' at the top of your screen just before your 'Tools' tab.

Just another thought, I don't know what browser you do normally use, but Firefox is considered to be the perfect one for use on Hubpages, and is certainly a whole lot better than Internet Explorer, (plus being more secure). You might want to seriously consider using it instead of whichever browser you currently use. 

Remember you can have a dozen different browsers if you wish to. You decide which one you use when you click the tab on your desktop to go online. It is a good thing to have two or three anyway, as if one seizes up for an hour due to technical stuff at their end you can simply open another browser instead.

2. MyWebs profile image78
        MyWebsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks mistyhorizon2003 for telling me about Scrapbook. I been needing a way to easily back up my hubs since the feature that was built in to HubPages disappeared.

12. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

A lot of his stuff used long quotes from the bible.

In fact, some of the pages I looked at were about 50% copy and paste.

Here is one in the cache:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s … &gl=th

Even so, the mods could have waited a week. Banning entire accounts is unsettling.

I am beginning to realise that I definitely have Stalinist tendencies- manage the news, keep the masses happy. Send people to Siberia quietly, in the middle of the night.

13. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 11 years ago

He'd been here for two years, during which time discussion on the importance of not having duplicated content has been at the forefront of the community.  He also posted to the forums one year ago, saying he was seeing some of his Hubs being unpublished/moderated for being duplicate material and several people pointed out to him that his Hubs were too full of quoted Bible material.

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1703684

One year warning is more than plenty of time to fix an account so that you don't get banned.

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not saying he deserved to keep his account. I was suggesting a little subtlety.

Everyone is coming to this thread expecting to say, congratulations, well done and best of luck with the next one hundred thousand!!

What they get is something very different.

It is like one of those nature programs where the baby kangaroo dies at the end.

1. relache profile image71
        relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think the thread is offering an important experience to the site users exactly because of what it is.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
          PaulGoodman67posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I certainly won't mourn the loss of Dave's hubs, as I found his ideas very narrow minded - but like Will says, it's a surprise that he gets booted during a thread that's supposed be celebrating his achievements!   

Still, I suppose we don't know what's been going on behind the scenes.  He may well have had repeated warnings...

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
            Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know he has been banned in the past. One woman told me he kept harassing her on her hubs. He could be very insulting to those who disagreed with him. I know he was banned from asking and answering questions for a while too.

Still, I'm sorry he was permanently banned.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
              Lisa HWposted 11 years agoin reply to this

UW, same here.  People on here have their own agendas and personalities (we all do), and we get (as they say) "accustomed to their face" and can kind of hate to see them "sent a-packing".  hmm      I had a few polite debates here or there with Dave, but he was always polite to me.  I wish him him well wherever else he writes or "discusses".   smile  Who knows what ever goes on between any one Hubber and HP....    None of my business, I guess.

14. LA Elsen profile image75
    LA Elsenposted 11 years ago

Will Apse - Well said.

15. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

It is still sad after reaching a milestone. Maybe he had many warnings as Relache mentioned. Nobody gets to say goodby under these circumstances.

16. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 11 years ago

I am sure he did have repeated warnings. I seem to remember jason trying to get him on track. I guess he just was so caught up in the Bible and word of God that he couldn't see he was simply duplicating the Bible. I wonder what percentage of the Bible he actually reproduced. He just didn't seem to  understand that he had to at least balance this with analysis and original content.
    He will surely find another platform to relay his views or perhaps I should say the contents of the Bible. He struck me as a bit of a sad and lonely figure and I wish him well.

At least Hubpages allowed him to get to 100,000 views. They could have pulled the plug on 99,999.

17. CashFlowsToo.com profile image60
    CashFlowsToo.composted 11 years ago

Wow this is a learning point that I'm thankful to find.  Even if dave is suspended, I'm glad to see the response is being produced by valid wise hubers.

18. mismazda profile image61
    mismazdaposted 11 years ago

Wow..so glad I read the other Hubbers comments...tisk tisk tisk....well guess its a lesson learned.

19. john000 profile image91
    john000posted 11 years ago

Congratulations! I, too, hit the 100,000 view mark this week. Since I have experienced a similar journey, I can safely say it took some work. Apparently the next goal is 1,000,000. I got this info from here, http://indigital.hubpages.com/question/ … swer474418
    Good luck in continued efforts in writing. John

20. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

Good luck Dave in all your endeavors. Congrats John.

21. nikkiraeink profile image61
    nikkiraeinkposted 11 years ago

What advise do you have for someone that wishes to achieve the same milestone?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)