How Do You Raise A Good Child?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Beyond-Politics profile image74
    Beyond-Politicsposted 11 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7374325_f248.jpg

In MY line of work, I meet all manner of types of parents, some worthy of praise while others should have their parental rights questioned.  As a parent, what advice would you give to ensure (or at least create the likelihood) that you a good child?

1. myorganizedlife profile image59
      myorganizedlifeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have to be the one in charge, and follow through with discipline - no empty threats. They shouldn't be afraid of you, but they should be afraid of the consequences that come with not doing what they are told. I never had to raise a hand to my son. Sending him to bed early, taking the television away, or grounding him to his room were the typical punishments. I remember threatening to make him stay home from a trip to Disneyland once. I don't even recall what he was doing wrong, but Disneyland was the line in the sand. The behavior didn't change. So, on the day we were to leave, my nephew showed up to babysit while my husband and I went to Disneyland alone. The look on his face when he realized he wasn't going was crushing. But I didn't back down. I cried all the way to California. But, he was reminded that weekend that Mom means business. That being said, your kids also need to know, without question, that you love them and that you would stand up to a charging bear for them. And remember that kids learn by watching their parents. If they are raised by parents who are respectful and responsible, and teach them valuable lessons throughout their lives, they will be just fine. And, you are not their friend. You are their parent, which is so much better anyway! My son is grown now and I couldn't be more proud of the young man he has become. I guess I did something right!

2. bBerean profile image60
      bBereanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Live as the person you want them to be, lovingly holding them to that same standard.  There is no more effective way of teaching children than by presenting an example they respect and want to emulate.

3. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Take them to church on Sundays.

1. Zelkiiro profile image88
        Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's not how you raise a good child, that's how you raise a repressed neurotic homophobic busybody with a hair-trigger temper.

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I taught my children to stay safe when not at home, watch out for each other and used my voice to grab their attention before their curiosity hurt them. I was fortunate enough to remain home with them till they started school and then I went back too. big_smile

3. atechwiz profile image65
    atechwizposted 11 years ago

I don't think you can ever go wrong teaching your kids the Golden Rule.  More important then telling them, let them see it in you.  When you live the Golden Rule then it will not simply be lip service.

4. tabrezrocks profile image46
    tabrezrocksposted 11 years ago

I think if I treat them like I am their friend and share all the knowledge that they should know, and aware them from wrong things, teach them write lessons.

5. kcg2946 profile image60
    kcg2946posted 11 years ago

I think that children need to be taught to be accountable for their actions. Discipline is not a bad thing, especially if it is tempered with a lot of love. Children need to control themselves--body and mind--to take care of themselves and others. I also agree with an earlier post: the Golden Rule is basic to all. Teach them to follow that and then think about what great people they will grow up to be!

6. promiseokon profile image60
    promiseokonposted 11 years ago

GOOD HABITS YOU SHOULD TEACH CHILDREN
    There is nothing that can be challenging, fascinating and rewarding as being a parent. It has to do with your stamina, your nerves, your emotions and at times even your sanity. You will have to face the many challenges that are related to the up-bringing of children. And of course the pleasure of seeing them grow into the kind of person you can be proud of.
    The world has so many people who are very successful in parenting. Is there something they know that we don't? Is there something that we could learn and become successful parents too? The answer is yes. They understand good habits to teach children. And that is what this book is about.
    What you should always remember is- great numbers of people have been parents before you, and by trials and errors some of them worked out brilliant ways of dealing with certain issues about a child's character.
    The book talks about the challenges and fascinating rewards of being a good parent. Each chapter covers numerous habits to inculcate into children. It covers habits related to family, personality, respect, time, table manner, friendships, relationships, health, etc. The book also dwells richly on moral values that will be of great benefits to children as they grow up in life.
    The habits in this book will help you to become a successful and happy parent. They are simple, easy-to-read and highly effective.
    Good Habits You Should Teach Children- A valuable gift to raising good and happy children.

"GOOD HABITS YOU SHOULD TEACH CHILDREN" is now available on Amazon Kindle

7. Pinkchic18 profile image67
    Pinkchic18posted 11 years ago

In my opinion, you can raise a 'good' child by being a 'good' parent. That means taking the time to teach them manners along with life lessons. Just spending time with your child and showing them love is the best parenting tactic I think anyone could ever use.

8. profile image53
    larry089posted 11 years ago

To be honest with you raising a child in a good manner is quite hard.Specially if a parent also have a bad manner.Well one of my way is to spend with him a lot of time and care and teach her what is the right and what is the wrong in this world however sometimes they don't understand it and they are always asking a question just have a patient so that they know what is the real world is.

9. profile image57
    Poetman63posted 11 years ago

How is the phrase "good child" defined? Well behaved? Polite? Kind? Does what he/she is told? Never gets in trouble?

When I was given the gift of parenthood for my daughter (now 18) I could not have been happier. I had always wanted a child, ever since I was knee high. When she started to toddle around I came up with a 3-way criteria to determine if I should get in a snit about behavior: If it harmed no one else, did not harm herself and did no damage to the environment, then pretty much anything was okay.

As she went along, I would see her do things like help a disabled man get to his table in IHOP or open the door for someone. Very much aware of her surroundings. Of course once the teen years hit, her Self once more became front and center..

I'm rambling a bit, apologies. How to raise a good child-perhaps that would be better phrased How do I raise a child I am proud of? One where you can introduce to your friends with a touch of pride in your voice. Hello! This is my daughter (name). Model yourself what you want to see in your child. If you wouldn't like it, chances are others won't either.

Cheers!

10. Purpose Embraced profile image83
    Purpose Embracedposted 11 years ago

We all need a sense of belonging. So children need to grow in a home environment where they are affirmed and feel a part of the family. But related to this point is need to set the appropriate boundaries for our kids. In fact, it through these boundaries that our children learn  values. Of course, as parents we must be good role models for their children, that is, we should lead by example.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)