Traffic plummeting

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Janet21 profile image80
    Janet21posted 10 years ago

I was getting great traffic until Panda hit in 2011 and my traffic took a nosedive.  The last six months or so my traffic was increasing nicely.   I was excited to work on HP again.   However, the last week or so I lost it all and now am sitting back at my lows.

Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

1. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm used to the ups and downs of traffic but I just checked Google and that shows I've had 13 visits in the last 30 days. I don't understand this because my visits according to HP are in the hundreds for the last 30 days.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
        Dale Hydeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am seeing a huge difference between Google Analytics and HP stats as well, to a very large degree.  HP showing a ton more views that Google is acknowledging.

1. galleryofgrace profile image71
          galleryofgraceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It just occurred to me that a few weeks ago someone reported a website that had copied the entire HP site. I'm wondering if  the views we should have here are being recognized by google as belonging to them.

2. Susana S profile image93
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You might be interested in this thread opened by Paul Edmondson: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/114897

Janet21posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the link Susana...I missed that thread.

1. Susana S profile image93
          Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome smile

3. VVanNess profile image78
      VVanNessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

All I can say is keep trying. Keep posting your articles to social media sites, try and give those articles going down on traffic a little more exposure in creative ways (like new social media sites, editing or updating them, or simply reposting them again), and most of all, keep writing.

As people see your new articles and follow you, they will also go back and read your older articles, giving them new life on Hubpages. Don't give up. Traffic will always fluctuate.

4. profile image0
      Jennifer Sucheyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I noticed all of the above as well. My HP stats are always higher than Google Analytics. And last week my views went down by half compared to the week before. It's discouraging, but I'm glad I'm not alone. Definitely spreading my eggs around. Definitely.

2. chadwiki profile image61
    chadwikiposted 10 years ago

I wonder if Google Penguin could have something to do with your stats increasing the past six months...

3. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

This is a problem everyone seems to be having. I guess now 3/4 of our hubs will get the half moon for lack of traffic.

4. Joseph Grant profile image57
    Joseph Grantposted 10 years ago

I think we all need to band together and dare I say hop some hubs? Its not about any one hub but all hubs combined that make Hubpages great. jmo

5. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 10 years ago

Yes, I'm in the same boat and sinking fast. Recently hit 500,000 views.  Wondering now when and if I'll see that number increase.

1. ameliam.michelle1 profile image61
      ameliam.michelle1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

The traffic indeed is showing amazing fluctuations from the past few days, hope it stabilises soon. And as Dale rightly pointed out, the discrepancies between the Google and HP stats are glaring, do not know why, Any suggestions?

6. profile image0
    delleaposted 10 years ago

All of my hubs have had very consistent daily traffic and I have noticed no decreases at all. My best suggestion is for all of you to not put all of your eggs in one basket. Try posting your HubPages links in social media sites where appropriate, submit your hubs and profile links to other search engines besides Google, use free self-promotion whenever you can with your friends, family and co-workers and urge them to forward on the links to your hubs that you send them. Last but not least, consider making up some business cards with your name and a link to your HubPages profile and hand them out to whomever, whenever possible. All in all, if you want real self-sustaining traffic, you have to push hard with self-promotion and make your hubs and your profile go viral!

7. profile image0
    delleaposted 10 years ago

All of my hubs have had very consistent daily traffic and I have noticed no decreases at all. My best suggestion is for all of you to not put all of your eggs in one basket. Try posting your HubPages links in social media sites where appropriate, submit your hubs and profile links to other search engines besides Google, use free self-promotion whenever you can with your friends, family and co-workers and urge them to forward on the links to your hubs that you send them. Last but not least, consider making up some business cards with your name and a link to your HubPages profile and hand them out to whomever, whenever possible. All in all, if you want real self-sustaining traffic, you have to push hard with self-promotion and make your hubs and your profile go viral!

Janet21posted 10 years agoin reply to this

My eggs are not all in one basket, thankfully.  Diversification is something I learned a long time ago. HP only makes up a small portion of my total earnings.  But, these traffic declines are still quite frustrating.   After following the link Susana posted, I now realize I am not alone.

8. Carola Finch profile image91
    Carola Finchposted 10 years ago

I have noticed a drop in views as well.  I have noticed that my views are way down on an unrelated newssite I write for, so maybe the problem is the time of year.  So many people seem to be busy or on vacation.  Even HubPages seems to be less active than normal.

9. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 10 years ago

There was a Panda update. 

My traffic has dropped by half but I'm not surprised. Ever since December 2011, my traffic has been on a roller coaster - I now think of that December figure as my 'high point', and when there's an update, it can drop by 50% overnight.  It will then stay there for weeks or months, then overnight it will jump back up to the high point and stays there for weeks or months.  So I now see that as normal and don't worry about it too much.

Traffic on my blogs is up.

1. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

The roller coast ride continues - I'm back at 2011 levels - but hopefully the next upward trend hits just before the holidays!

My experiences here have taught me to diversify and that's always a good thing!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)