Will Bringing Back Tags Help Traffic?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 10 years ago

Quite a while ago we used to add our own tags to each hub. For example if we wrote about shoes we would use the tag box for words such as: shoes, trainers, new shoes, fashion shoes. And so on. Reading various articles around the internet I noticed that sometimes when the page hasn't loaded properly we get to see behind the photos/articles and I noticed that the top ones on Google always have tons of tags, more in fact than the actual headline or paragraphs.
    So, do you think bringing back our own tags would help?

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image82
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's a good question, Nell - I'd love to see an answer from the staff.  I wonder if they were discontinued due to abuses - such as writers who may have inserted keyword tags unrelated to their hubs?

Nell Roseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good point Marcy, yes that could well be it.

2. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

From my experience with recent Google changes over the past year or so, tags are not needed and will not increase views or bring  your site up higher in the search results.  Google no longer looks at tags.  The tags here were used to find related hubs for your hub.  They were for internal use only.  Google never saw them.

Google looks specifically at content now, according to the pros....not even meta tags are beneficial.  Every word in your articles (or hub) is viewed as a potential keyword by Google.

3. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Tags on HubPages were never the same as tags on blogs.   They were used purely for creating the topic pages (or tag pages) within HubPages. The tags themselves weren't visible to search engines.

4. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nell, when HP eliminated the tags option for us, they explained that they would be adding tags to our articles themselves.  Apparently they thought many hubbers were inept at adding tags and keywords that would put the articles in a high search engine ranking.

1. Sue Bailey profile image68
        Sue Baileyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh really! They did, did they? Well it hasn't done us much good has it? Thanks for telling us that bravewarrior

5. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This was feature was deliberately retired.

Here are a few reasons (some of which authors have already expressed in this thread).
      1. Tags were abused
      2. Tags were ineffective when used

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image82
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the official response, Matthew - and I confess I am not surprised the tags were abused; we have seen some of the tricks people try to pull on the site.

I'm impressed at number of major improvements to the site in the past year or so. If tags were a problem (for the reasons you mentioned), then it's good that they've been discontinued.

2. Solaras profile image96
    Solarasposted 10 years ago

They could put in a limit to the number of tags say 8-10.  I would like to use them.

I agree, that way we can take charge of what is written and can't blame anybody else for our hubs tanking! lol!

3. ziyena profile image91
    ziyenaposted 10 years ago

Amazon had this problem awhile back with their own Panda issues ... of course, published authors were flooding to the forums, moaning, groaning and scratching their heads as to why their traffic and sales were down, some even threatened to leave Amazon.  It all comes back ... just be patient folks

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

If I remember correctly, the tags HP used were for internal use only, as they could not be seen when signed out of HP.

They were more to do with attracting similar hubs in the 'related hubs' than signals to the search engines.

Thanks Izzy I didn't know that.

2. ThelmaC profile image93
      ThelmaCposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I hated it when we lost the ability to post our own tags.  I didn't know what you just told us Izzy.  I guess it wasn't as big a deal as I had imagined it to be.  I would still like to hear a reply from HubPages staff though.

Thanks Thelma me too. It was just a though because I saw all the other tags on other sites.

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

4. Susana S profile image93
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Back in the day, utislising tag pages really helped with rankings - they were part of the strength and genius of HP's internal linking system. Google indexed "tag pages" and many of the main ones had high PR 4/5, so if your hubs got on one of those pages it offered a great link (much like getting your hub at the top of a main topic page now). If you were smart you could get lots of high PR links simply by carefully choosing the right tags.

Doubt very much that HP will ever bring these old style tags back now though.

5. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 10 years ago

This is one of the core feature removals that altered my position on whether to continue writing hubs on Hub Pages. I see it as a vote loser all the way. WordPress bloggers... hell, any bloggers out there can still add the tags to articles in blogs as needed. Hubs are less equal as it seems hubbers are somehow less trusted. The "Why" behind this is a source of controversy.

Keywords have monetary value. Hub Pages is a business. Adsense is a business that makes money. Taking away tags... h'mmm. No sorry, I just never got this tag removal thing.

All I know is that it hurts EVERYONE in the end.

6. Cheeky Girl profile image66

I found out a long time ago that anyone who writes a hub over 4,000 words is better off making it into a downloadable object such as a PDF or downloadable document equivalent. And once you start that, just keep on going. It is a lot better than leaving it hanging or dangling on a vine.

Why spend valuable time and energy on trying to keep this thing propped up? One has to ask what is in it for us? I go where the sunniest places are, more sustenance and nourishment that way. If a thousand other places offer something that is not offered here...

7. tillsontitan profile image83
    tillsontitanposted 10 years ago

I think most of us believed the tags were used on the outside of HP and helped promote our hubs.  Interesting to know they were only internal.  Since that's the case I guess we don't need them as titles and hubbers lead us to what we read.

8. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I imagine they got pulled partly for the same reason amazon pulled tags, because people mis-used them by putting in irrelevant SEO-bait.

9. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 10 years ago

Good question. This has certainly been an education for me. I feel kind of bare without them, like I forgot my lipstick or cell phone.

10. Cheeky Girl profile image66

I agree about people wanting tags brought back. They can be freely added to any blog now. Today Google made an announcement and it will affect all hubbers who, like me - write long-form hubs or articles. Google has now added In Depth Articles to their search results as of today. Long-form writing and written articles or hubs will naturally benefit. If you have written long wordy articles on special subjects, which are obviously sought after and searched for by the browsing public enquirers out there, then you are in luck.

It will appear most often for broad topics and themes. See the link for more examples of what will work. Tags can be damned if this gets the go ahead as this could positively affect hubs that tend to be long. And this might encourage those writers of short hubs to lengthen them somewhat.

I suggest you all read the article from Search Engine Land as it gives graphical examples of what they mean and also confirm where the articles will be displayed on results pages. (P.S. thank you Astra Nomik - aka Cathy Nerujen for spotting this on your Twitter, you clever girl.)

Here is the article.

http://searchengineland.com/google-intr … lts-168909

1. sallybea profile image93
      sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I can't help wondering why my title tuner wants me to add the word castor oil on a completely unrelated hub about butterflies and dragonflies.  Think there must be some kind of 'bug' in the system.  Is that because the one about castor oil is getting a fair bit of traffic!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)