To have the freedom to customize the design of the hub

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (42 posts)
  1. makemoneyonline profile image38
    makemoneyonlineposted 16 years ago

Dear Hubpages Team,

Hubpages is great, I'm the first to tell it. But it's very difficult to establish what is called an authority website with such uniform design. That's the reason I try to establish my own blogs with wordpress or joomla.

So is it in Hubpages plan to give more freedom for the design ?

Thanks.

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You've never studied graphic design have you?

makemoneyonlineposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I have managed some internet projects for fortune 500 firms so I guess I know a little bit what web design is about smile. Of course I don't want Hubpages to be transformed into some Corporate Web Looking Site: I just want to be able to customize MY own design as one can do on other similar platforms.

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
          Mark Knowlesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

LOL - well if you know something about web design, you will know something about traffic generation, and I have several wordpress blogs that generate more traffic than my hubpages, so if you are interested......

The awesome thing about hubpages is NOT having to worry about this stuff.

Web design has nothing to do with Traffic Generation which is the field of SEO. SEO appeals to search engine, web design appeals to the human who visits the site.

2. darkside profile image63

Having managed internet projects might mean you know a little bit about what web design but you've never studied graphic design have you?

The way to establish an authority site is to have a uniform design.

2. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

Ummmm, I think you will find that HubPages carries a fair weight of authority already ... and the uniform design is there to make the Hubs readable ...

Hubpages as a whole yes but not hubpager as individual. You cannot join such or such network if you don't have an outstanding design.

3. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

Why don't you set up a wordpress or Joomla blog? They are very SEO friendly and you have almost complete control?

The whole point of hubpages is that you don't have to bugger about arranging the layout. I can tell you from personal experience that I have spent more time in the past messing around with wordpress templates and screwing up the look as I have done writing and promoting the content.

Of course that's what I'm doing : I have set up one but dozens of them smile

The advantage of hubpages is also traffic as I explained here if you go on your own you will have hard time:
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Why-switch-to-hubpages

When I set the blogs myself I have to build the traffic which is longer than just programming the html/javascript/php stuffs.

4. gamergirl profile image85
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

I think you're misunderstanding the concept of the Hubpages page design, hon.

The point is that the content speaks for itself, not the page's graphics.

My point is precisely: let's improve that concept smile

1. Whitney05 profile image83
        Whitney05posted 16 years agoin reply to this

Improve the concept would mean improve the content.. That has diddly squat to do about the graphics.

If you have such a problem with it, you apparently have all this great web designing and internet experience design your own page.

I personally love the simplicity of the site. Too much will make people run away. It would turn into that other site that's trying way to hard to change their layouts and graphics.

If everyone had the ability to alter the color, background, graphics, ads, pictures, content layout, etc, it would be nothing more than a blog. And that is not the concept of the site.

You'd turn the lovely HubPages into an ugly myspace.

I second Jenny, Charlotte, and everyone else in saying if you think you can do better go elsewhere and design you're own blog or website.

5. gamergirl profile image85

Err, that would require each Hubber improving their own content.  Something we should each do over the course of time anyway. tongue

6. Mark Knowles profile image60

So you know all about web design, but nothing about SEO?

As far as I can tell wordpress is just as SEO friendly as hubpages.

7. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 16 years ago

I for one am grateful for the way things are here on Hubpages. I wouldn't want to mess with all the tech set up stuff. I'm almost positive a lot of hubbers feel the same. MakeMoneyonline if you have so much know-how why do you keep coming back constantly with your whining? I'm sorry I'm losing patients.Zsuzsy

What ZB said.

2. makemoneyonline profile image38

Hubpages is great as I said here I know perfectly the value of it:
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Why-switch-to-hubpages

We are in "New Features" topics, that's the new features I'm asking, may you allow me to do such request thanks smile

8. Mark Knowles profile image60

You already did. smile

I, along with a few others, was just stating my opposition to the idea. Please allow me to do that thanks. big_smile big_smile

It always amazes me why people can't stand the freedom of others whereas that freedom doesn't prevent them to stay with the old stuffs ... human nature is so strange isn't it ?

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69
        Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years agoin reply to this

It isn't only that some hubbers oppose the idea.  The hubteam most likely does as well.  Buried in one of the older forum threads is another discussion like this.  Basically, the HP team said something about wanting consistency throughout the site, so that is why it has such a uniform design.

I'm totally paraphrasing from memory here.

I would accept that reason but not the one given by others here.

But I do not agree because the Big Guys like Google are launching their own "Hubpages" and so become a heavy competitor especially as they control THE n°1 search engine. So be different would be usefull for surviving in the future.

Hubpages IS one of the big guys in this arena. And if you are not being as successful as you would like (which I suspect is the reason for this thread) it is not because you don't have the ability to customize the layout.

And the crazy thing is - there are any number of platforms that will do what you are talking about and you have blogs that you use? But if I remember rightly - you like to keep your other sites a secret in case someone attacks your adsense earnings ?

And the last forum thread you started was all about the fact that you were removing the adsense ads from your hubs. But they are still there.

Hubpages is all about content, not window dressing. And as any window dresser or shop-fitter will tell you, the best just disappears into the background, leaving the product (in this case the content) as the star of the show.

2. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69

As Mark said, HubPages is one of the "Big Guys."  Google isn't everything.  Plus, what you are suggesting would not make HP "different" as their are sites out there that already allow this "freedom."

You are, of course, allowed to think and believe whatever you want, but I wouldn't hold my breath about these changes actually happening here.

3. darkside profile image63

What, we're not different now?

If or when Google does launch Knol I'd expect them to be rigid in their design sense. It's about the uncluttered delivery of information.

And search engines rank sites highly determined on their content, not on their appearance.

2. Mark Knowles profile image60

LOL - this is an oft repeated discussion and what I suggest is that you get yourself a wordpress/joomla/movable type platform where you have 100% control over the way it looks. I like hubpages uniformity. I like not having to worry about the way it looks and the reason it appeals to people is those reasons.

And calling yourself a newbie after 10 months here and then telling us how clever you are with web design for fortune 500 companies and naming yourself  "makemoneyonline"  big_smile You are right - human nature is strange.

9. Shirley Anderson profile image70
    Shirley Andersonposted 16 years ago

This may be a dumb question, but if a hub design depended on technical design knowledge, wouldn't that put those of us who don't know much about that sort of thing at a distinct disadvantage, possibly left behind in the technical dust and never read?

I want traffic as much as everyone else here, but I signed up thinking this was more about writing than web design.

Sorry, I really don't mean to be snooty.

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69

Shirley, you aren't at all snooty here.  And, I totally agree with you.  If I wanted to worry about the web design, I'd be out there creating my own.

10. gamergirl profile image85

What amazes me is that you want to take a winning system like Hubpages, with it's bold graphics which complement the content provided through capsules, and make it into something potentially devastating.

Actually, it doesn't amaze me.  It's irritating.  If you want to post content on a page which you can make changes in the graphics and make people less likely to read it, go ahead.  The majority of people who I've introduced to Hubpages as readers have stated that they LOVE the simplicity of each page, they LOVE the uniformity of the backgrounds and buttons. 

I honestly don't see what the problem is, the graphics for the banners and buttons Hubpages uses are sharp, crisp, pleasing to the eye, and best of all:

The graphics Hubpages uses emphasizes the Hub, and the content IN the hub, NOT the graphics themselves.

I'm glad that my readers can actually read my hubs without having to squint, highlight text, install extra fonts or navigate flash intros or anything.  I'm glad that my readers can focus on my hub and not some moving picture or music file playing on my page.

Most of all, I'm glad that Hubpages does the majority of setup for my content for me, AND gets lots of Google love. 

You won't hear me whining or griping about my poor freedoms being infringed upon just because I can't bugger up the graphics on my Hubs.  The images are the LEAST of my concerns when I post new content.

11. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

While you many think that you can do a better design job than HubPages, makemoneyonline, and perhaps you might actually be able to, making that available generally would make it available to all the people who THINK they know a cool design but actually produce unreadable rubbish.

You only need to look at MySpace to see the true horror of letting amateurs design their own pages.

I think you have it all wrong, makemoneyonline.

The authority of HubPages gets your Hubs to page 1 of Google - not your own individual authority.

If you are taking about BRANDING, then develop your own logo instead of plagiarising the Wealth Dynamics one as you have for your avatar, and put it in the same place on each of your Hubs.

You don't need to make the rest of the page match your logo colours. The McDonalds M and the Nike tick are great examples of logos which do not require an entire page of matching colour to get their message across.

Consistency and quality content will build your brand. Actually, looking at McDonalds, it seems you can do it on consistency alone, which is probably a good thing for you.

Logo. Top right of every Hub. And as your avatar. That's all you need.

Jenny

12. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Hubpages was easy to set up and it looks good. We  WRITE and individualize it by adding pictures videos etc.. Then we go the the next to WRITE again not mess about with design. My extra 2-3-4-5 cents worth. zs

13. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

I second, third, fourth, fifth (or wherever we are up to) what almost everyone else is saying.

HubPages sells itself as a place where you can create web pages without having to know all the techie stuff.  Have a look at the front page without logging in and you'll see it, right there!

So clearly, HubPages can't make the design any more complicated than it is, without losing one of its major selling points.   More freedom inevitably means more choice which equals more complexity.

As Jenny says, having a uniform design also means that people are pretty much forced to produce clean-looking, professional Hubs whereas if they had total freedom, we'd be bound to get some of those awful fluorescent over-animated monsters you see elsewhere!

14. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

So you would suggest what exactly, makemoney?  That the site should become the preserve of those who know how to design webpages by themselves, and therefore don't ned HubPages?

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
      Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like it might be a helium meets myspace.

15. gamergirl profile image85

Dear Makemoneyonline,

I'm sorry that you're not happy with the services which Hubpages provides for FREE to you.  I consider it a downright privilege to have this service available, to be able to write and get paid ad-share for what my writing brings in.

I'm honestly disgusted by your desire to incorporate ready-to-fail strategies into a successful venture like Hubpages, and really wish you would let the issue fall.

This thread has been responded to by some top-notch hubbers, not including myself, and if OUR comments aren't good enough to put the issue to rest for you, then nothing we say is going to make you realize your flawed thinking.

I really hope that you come to realize Hubpages is not going to set themselves up for disaster just because YOU can't focus your energies on systems you control.  Simply put, you don't run Hubpages, it's not your place to institute changes like this one on the hundreds of Hubbers who I'm sure DO NOT want the layout of the site to change.

I hope you go through this thread from the beginning and re-read the posts made within.  I really do.  For your comment about human nature, it's only natural to take advice from those who are successful, so think about that, too.

Have a great day, and I hope you have continued success on Hubpages.

16. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 16 years ago

Google knol is up and running, but invitees only. http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/12/ … ibute.html
    or if that don't work:
    googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/12/encouraging-people-to-contribute.html

17. gamergirl profile image85

Bah.

I like Hubpages.  I've put a crapload of time into my work here.

18. Mark Knowles profile image60

I spit on google. In the immortal words of Monty Python, "Their Mother was a hamster and their father smelled of elderberries.... I fart in their general direction." big_smile

19. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

If you're not happy with the design, go somewhere else. If you're so worried about what other sites are doing and how they're changing they're layout and design, go there. Not to sound rude, but you just seem so worried about what someone else should do to make you happy.

With the experience that you claim, why can't you just set up your own site? Do what you want.

The simple design and uniform layout makes the site look clean.

20. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86

Right on. Just a quick observation if YOU MakeMoneyonline would count up all the comments and effort you have made about change here change there how much now and then etc....all that boohooing on the forums here, you could probably have had two mega hubs, that might have made you some of the "allmightydollars" that you're so much coveting...

21. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 16 years ago

Personally I think the design of the hubpages website is great. It is simple and what is there is there. Maybe a little more color but that's me. Look at most sites and just a maze of nothingness, and I at least, look and stare and leave. As for personal hubs, it is web 2.0 and not that sofisticated yet. I like my profile picture proceeding me and identitying me everywhere I go, you know so people can avoid me. Big spash of color. So I give rave, rave.

For me Hubpages is of great "Usability" (webmaster's term if you don't know what it means search a glossary) and well optimized for adsense but as for the looking they all follow the "Wikipedia" kind of look.

From business point of view, the first platform which would offer the same features as Hubpages with Customization will take over it because if you are free to either stay with "wikipedia" like look or you can customize IF YOU WANT.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)