Which works best for you?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Arachnea profile image66
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

Do you prefer working on a hub over more than a day, building it slowly and only by a few steps at a sitting. Or, do you like to get the job done and move on to the next hub as quickly as possible. Or, something else?

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

All of the above. It depends on how my day is going and what mood I am in. Usually, it takes me 3 to four days to complete a polished hub. I do heavy research, so that slows me down a lot. If I am writing a poem or fiction story, it takes just a few hours or one full day depending on images and maybe a video.

2. profile image0
      missiruppposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I used to work on them and get them done right away. ( I would get anxious to put it out), but I made a few ridiculous mistakes. Now that I am comfortable with HubPages, I start a hub and work on it over a few days. This way I come up with new ideas when I sleep on it and my head is clearer to catch mistakes.

3. RachaelOhalloran profile image83
      RachaelOhalloranposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I like to work quickly, but the work doesn't go quickly. lol

It depends on what the article is about, how much research has to go into it, if I can verify the information and/or sources right away, and gathering the photos - which usually costs me more time than the writing of the actual article!

I can write an article on copyrights in less than 3 hours, but a biography can take me 2 to 3 days working 4 to 5 hours at one sitting.  My Q & A's are done in less than 2 hours.

So you can see it depends on the material, how much you want to put into it to make it evergreen, and proofreading - which is a must.

I'd like to get the job done as quickly as possible, but life intervenes, nature calls, and appointments have to be kept. sad

4. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

Over the years, I've written Hubs any and every way possible.  What's best depends on the topic.

5. Nate On A Plate profile image62
      Nate On A Plateposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I like to get it done in one shot. I don't like to have things hanging. Of course, I also tend to take awhile (at least days, often weeks, sometimes months) jotting down notes, doing research and/or taking pictures if necessary, etc. I admit, sometimes I just sit on that stuff for awhile. But once I get down to writing it, even if it takes hours, I write until I get it done. Though, once in awhile I'll take more time and not get it done in one sitting. But not my preference.

Edit: Not on this account so much, by the way. This account is new. On another account is most of my work. I forgot which account I was using when I commented. Didn't notice till I posted this comment.

6. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have never finished a Hub in one day, I always take more than one day to write it. Besides, when I finish it I usually try and leave it sit for a couple days to proofread again before I publish.

2. OldRoses profile image93
    OldRosesposted 9 years ago

It takes me an entire day to do research, find appropriate photos and then write a hub which is why I only write 2 hubs a week.  I work full time so I can only work on my hubs on the weekends.

3. lady rain profile image95
    lady rainposted 9 years ago

I spend one to three days on one hub, a few hours per day and I try to get as much work done as possible. That includes the writing, research, photos and proofreading. If it takes me more than three days to write something, it means the hub is not going to be an interesting one.

4. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

A bit of both depending on what I am writing. If it is a poetry hub it sometimes happens quickly, and if often takes longer to find suitable images than the actual writing. Some articles on the environment etc may take quite a bit of research and take a days. You just do whatever works for you.

5. goatfury profile image91
    goatfuryposted 9 years ago

I like to get my hubs written in one sitting.  I feel an overwhelming sense of urgency based on the idea that is in my brain, that I absolutely must share RIGHT NOW!  smile

6. dhimanreena profile image65
    dhimanreenaposted 9 years ago

I like to complete the entire hub in one short. Of course, I do an extensive research before writing any article but I like to complete it in a one short instead of keeping it hanging for a long duration.

7. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 9 years ago

It sounds like we all have different ways of doing things. I go slowly, usually, getting down the idea and fleshing it out in an outline. Then I fill it in, adding things over the next few days. Sometimes it's weeks or months before I finish a hub, as I have several going at once. Lately I've been busy and procrastinating on several hubs that need to be finished. But normally, when I start a hub, I can finish it, working off and on, withing a few days.

8. misterhollywood profile image92
    misterhollywoodposted 9 years ago

It takes me awhile because of the editing process. I print out the text and read out loud to check for flow, mechanics and all that. Good question.

1. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It takes about a week for me to complete an article as I often have to take the images especially for it but I am thinking and going through the process a while before I actually put the writing down into Word.  I won't start writing it online until I have the right title in my head.

9. Cheeky Kid profile image96
    Cheeky Kidposted 9 years ago

I always want to take it slow and easy. :3

10. GypsyOwl profile image72
    GypsyOwlposted 9 years ago

I prefer to take a few days. From the ''idea'' to "published" has a few steps I'm not usually able to sit through all stages in one swoop. If I could, I would still wait a day to read it again with fresh eyes before hitting publish.

11. s.foram profile image59
    s.foramposted 9 years ago

I start a hub and work on it over a few days. I made a some  mistakes due to lake of knowledge. Now that I am comfortable with HubPages. I plan to publish 4 hubs in a week.

12. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 9 years ago

When I first started on HP I managed to rattle off quick sporty hubs to coincide with a major sporting event - non evergreen- plus I was working slowly on building up evergreen hubs. The sporty hubs I could finish in a day but to mix the work up a bit I also worked on the evergreens. So I had fast track and slow track on the go!! That was way back when.
    Once the fast track hubs had served their useful time I tried to convert them into evergreen - a task I'm still performing.
    I concentrate on evergreen hubs now and these can take anything from 2-5 days depending on research and time constraints.

13. profile image0
    Donna Cookposted 9 years ago

Several days.  First, research and outline in Word. Then, I lay out the capsules and photos online to format and design the article. Finally, I write the text boxes from the outline. I never thought that I would use what I learned in high school English!

14. mdgardner profile image91
    mdgardnerposted 9 years ago

I always do mine over the course of a several  days. I focus on the text the first few days and then come back and add pictures, polls, etc. I also have several that I have started and plan on finishing later.

15. Katya Drake profile image61
    Katya Drakeposted 9 years ago

I like to really research the topic I am writing about. I want to make sure that I can back up what I am writing and that I have all my facts straight. This can take one to two days depending on how crazy life is. However, once I have all my facts and resources straight, I like to just sit down and write it. Get it done in one sitting while its fresh in my mind.

16. Penny Sebring profile image90
    Penny Sebringposted 9 years ago

It depends on time entirely. I work full time at a traditional job, my daughter is homeschooled, I have a plethora of animals and my daughter has me running a business out of Etsy too. Sometimes I even have to sleep for a few hours.

17. Arachnea profile image66
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

It's interesting to see what works for whom and for which types of hubs. I take my time and then at some point this urgency builds that can only be sated by my publishing. So, I redouble my efforts. But, at least two days for me to craft a hub from the ground up. And, also, it depends what's needed in the way of images.

18. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

I make a lot of notes in text files about things I'd like to say on a topic, over the course of days or weeks, and then, when I feel like I have plenty of things to write about, I start a new article in the editing panel, and just spew. Sometimes I get up and walk away, and come back in a few hours to write more, but I try not to leave an unpublished article hanging around on my dashboard for more than a day.

19. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

It all depends on the hub.  It can take a couple of hours, a couple of days, or a week.

20. carrie Lee Night profile image81
    carrie Lee Nightposted 9 years ago

Thank you for sharing your hub question/feedback.  For me, personally it varies on my schedule and how ideas come to me.  Some hubs I like to write and finish as soon as possible to get them to my readers and other times I prefer to take my time.  Most of my stories are finished in a few hours, but my busy schedule breaks up the creativity and I have to go back to fine tune/edit my work smile.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Some hubs take me days to create and others are written quickly. It just depends on the subject and how much research I need to do.

21. MelRootsNWrites profile image91
    MelRootsNWritesposted 9 years ago

I like to spread the work out.  Usually, I will do the research on a couple of articles at a time. Sometimes I write it all out by hand or sketch an outline before typing it up in my word processor.  Even still, it takes me a couple of days to get it the way I want it.  I have severe arthritis which makes my fingers do things my brain doesn't tell them to do.  I usually sit on a finished hub for a day after I've got it set up.  I like to get one last proof in since I can't reread anything without tinkering with it.

22. aerospacefan profile image82
    aerospacefanposted 9 years ago

My turn around time is about 48 hours from start to finish. I know when I get the urge to write - it's hard stopping me!

23. bwhite062007 profile image90
    bwhite062007posted 9 years ago

It normally takes me a few days whether it's a subject I know well or one that needs a lot of research. Researching takes time in itself, finding photos, and I like to edit and reread over and over and over once more just to make sure it's polished and mistake free!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)