Does God exist? ;)

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (58 posts)
  1. God shet profile image60
    God shetposted 9 years ago

Does HE?

1. Buildreps profile image84
      Buildrepsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A self propelling mathematical Universe requires no deities. But people can become God. God's can exist, but the Universe requires non to create it.

2. fortressrainbow profile image61
      fortressrainbowposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lol! If He doesn't exist -- can you exist????

1. D A McCarron profile image35
        D A McCarronposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Of course. Why not?

3. Titen-Sxull profile image71
      Titen-Sxullposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well it depends on what we mean by God.

If you're referring to a specific deity or deities than the answer might be determinable, if you're talking about a vague or unfalsifiable definition of God (which many are) than we'll never have a definitive answer.

In my opinion it is both highly unlikely and nearly impossible that any of the gods human beings worshiped, presently or in the past, actually exist.

Or to put it another way, I'm pretty sure that there are no gods but not absolutely certain. We can be more certain when talking about specific God concepts like the Biblical God or Greek pantheon of gods but when it comes to the overall concept of gods we really don't know.

Personally I don't think the word god has much use to human beings anymore. The gods we have believed in, and the ones we still do, are likely fictional and any being out there in the cosmos that we are unaware of that might fit the general definition of a god we would actually be better off describing it as something else. In other words if we discovered a being that could communicate telepathically with us, manipulate matter with its mind, etc, calling it a god would just lump it in with all the fictional beings we had previously believed in.

At least for me, as an atheist, the word god appears to refer to a fictional supernatural entity either said to be responsible for some act of creation or other miraculous phenomenon. These beings are typically anthropomorphic (although some incorporate animals none of them incorporate anything truly otherworldly) and their goals are typically shallow and anthropocentric (telling us what to eat, what to wear and who we can have sex with, having goals centered around the human animal almost exclusively).

This anthropomorphism and anthropocentrism are big red flags that gods are fictional as a powerful cosmic supernatural being, if it really existed, has no immediately discernible reason to care whether we eat shellfish, have sex before marriage or throw a virgin into a volcano to appease them. In fact why gods, if they existed, would care about human beings with such a bif Universe, is a mystery best solved by the fact that we made them up to explain unexplained aspects of nature and to make ourselves feel special.

1. fortressrainbow profile image61

Do You believe in Satan?

1. Titen-Sxull profile image71

Given that Satan is tied to an existing mythology that I don't believe in, no.

Like I said in my post I'm an atheist and I think it's highly likely that every god we humans have ever believed in is imaginary (with the possible exception of things like Sun worship, obviously the sun exists, however it is not a god). Yahweh, the JudeoChristian God doesn't exist in my opinion and so believing in his arch-nemesis (or business partner depending on interpretation) Satan wouldn't make much sense.

I don't believe in the supernatural at all though it is a subject that interests me and not one I would consider myself absolutely certain of. There is always the chance of being proven wrong, true skepticism and open-mindedness require me to admit that I cannot be absolutely certain.

then our existence will be imaginary... and the beginning of everything will float in the air... and our lives will keep hanging for there's no trace of our existence even science can't explain it... but a theory that until now is a theory.

We are all entitle to choose things that we want, but why keep choosing the more base less theory of life? Why not choose the worthless and base less things but has salvation in the end... everything is uncertain... but why keep choosing the most uncertain?

1. wilderness profile image95
              wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Because you are far more likely to have chosen something that is real?

Something real... but does not guarantee truth, that is why many are empty even though they are so full.

Nor does imagination create reality.  Which is why many are empty even though they think they are so full.

Wrong. Those things has a never ending emptiness. While the one God's offers satisfy the soul, and gives joy to the heart, and all of us feel that. That is the big difference of imaginary thing of the uncertain that has no end. than to the uncertain that has salvation. And I don't think you never felt that.

2. Titen-Sxull profile image71

Admitting to myself that most supernatural phenomenon are imaginary doesn't mean I am not able to appreciate the supernatural or paranormal in the same way that I know that Spider-Man and Lord of the Rings are fictional but I am still a huge fan of both.

However I am not going to deceive myself into believing something just because it makes me feel better, lessens my fear of death or is somehow better than what actually is. Of course everyone is entitled to make up their own mind and by no means do I entirely rule out the possiblity of the existence of gods or the supernatural.

Same here but I guess in a different way, I am not going to deceived myself with what the world dictates, but keeps corrupting a person's mind and life.

Believing in every reality of this world shows me no peace, and a never ending doubt, destruction  and uncertainty is the only thing it has. While believing in God, gives my life a path that has peace, and no matter how tough it is, everything is working fine, pain and wounds heals but never gotten worst. Never saw one Christian who follows God until the end had an ill fate. I really do pray that God will continually knock to your heart until it opens, in Jesus mighty name.

4. Richawriter profile image85
      Richawriterposted 9 years agoin reply to this

First of all, I wouldn't say God even has a "sex" so we can't refer to it as "he".

No one could say for sure. How do we even know that all the science we are fed is even true unless we've actually tested it and proven it for ourselves? How do we even know history itself isn't fabricated? School text books aren't the truth, I'll tell you that for nothing.

But I digress. Sorry.

We could look at it from many perspectives.

What if the concepts of "beginning" and "end" are manmade? What if there is no beginning or end and that the natural order of life is for it to exist indefinitely? Then this might answer the question. There is no God, only a system that lives on and on eternally. Then we could surmise that human beings are born again after death perhaps in another form.

What if all this was created by mankind, only a super advanced mankind millions of years ahead of us? Just think. If you were a super advanced species and you wished to get a glimpse into your own long gone past from hundreds of thousands of years ago, how would you do it?

Humans create, we are in a way, Gods in a sense that we create and control and assign rules.

So then, this advanced species created Earth and all life on it, simulating their own birth world and seeded human beings on it. They could then sit back and watch, and study, learning about themselves and their own journey to their advanced stage. Now, humanity has reached the point where we are also creating things, as those who seeded us are able to do, only on a much much much lesser scale.

Then we are just an experiment, and they could terminate us at any time because they wouldn't want another version of their species running around causing havoc would they? wink

Then you could also say that according to the laws of nature, something doesn't come from nothing. It's simply not possible. You couldn't have a pool of water on a dead planet that suddenly sprouted life for example. It doesn't happen. It needs to be seeded with the building blocks first, then, if the environment is conducive, that life might evolve into something more. That begs the question: Who seeded that pool? Who seeded the one who seeded the pool? Who seeded the one who seeded the one who seeded the pool? and on and on. Where do the building blocks come from?

That's just a couple of the things I think about in terms of God.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
        Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you did not create yourself… and let me remind you, you know very little about how your body even works… then how can you doubt a creative, intelligent (gross understatement) force which has been evident through the process evolution and exists in our VERY selves.
        God is beyond intellectual comprehension.
        Just go with it. Thats what I say.

Wrong question.  Right question: desiring to alleviate our ignorance, how can you NOT doubt a made up story without any evidence of truth at all? 

Answer: because it satisfies the desire to have answers.  Right or wrong doesn't matter - any answer at all will do - and thus is accepted.

As you say, just go with it; truth is not the desired result, only an answer.

2. Richawriter profile image85

Hey,

Did you not get that I was having fun? smile

NO ONE knows these things.

Maybe someone waved a magic wand and we appeared here? Maybe, maybe maybe--baby.

smile Just have fun. smile

2. fortressrainbow profile image61

Crazy! this is crazy! Lol!!! I wonder where does idiots came from... those who created the humans and terminate us whenever they want too...

Just so bless, never have to battle myself with worthless  battle of life. Because God Jesus is the best creator of the whole wide world. The beginning and end... with no doubt and what if... So many doubts and hate his name... but to think of it... a worthless thinking can't stay long, but until now Jesus is the number 1 influential name in the whole wide world.

1. Richawriter profile image85

Idiots are borne of themselves, that's where those beings come from.

I'm not an idiot, not yet a buffoon, all I need is time, a moment that is mine, while I'm in between. smile

No one can prove that God exists or whether the bible is based on truth or is allegorical, yet millions upon millions believe in it.

No one can prove that aliens exist, have visited the planet or are among us, yet millions believe in this idea.

No one can prove that humans evolved, yet they believe it--from books and such.

No one can prove that we come back after death, or that we go on to heaven or hell, yet millions believe it.

No one can prove that when we die, it's like switching off a T.V, ZAP, that's it, yet they believe it in droves.

In my case, I'm open to ALL possibilities, even if they can't be proven because just like millions upon millions, I can't and don't want to, that life has no meaning, no purpose. Most people don't necessarily want to be given proof in order to have faith in something that gives their life this meaning we all seek, they only need to be convinced.

I'm pulled in all directions because each of these possibilities fascinates me and I want to believe, as you all do, that we exist for a higher purpose.

5. oceansnsunsets profile image83
      oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

All things considered, it sure seems like he does.  Personally, I think and believe he does.

6. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Logically, God shouldn't exist. I could say God could exist if he was created by something or someone else, and then could have created our universe. But then it's turtles all the way down. So it's easier to conclude that Got doesn't exist. That doesn't mean I don't believe in God, but if I do, it has to be for illogical reasons.

7. Claire Evans profile image62
      Claire Evansposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Definitely.

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 9 years ago

Ever read Heinlein?  I refer you to his "Stranger In A Strange Land".  Read, and you will grok the answer.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A good book that I have enjoyed re-reading several times, but I don't understand why you feel it is an authoritative answer to the OP.

As an aside, are you familiar with the stories of "hippies" of the time viewing this book as the definitive book of life - as they saw it? It is said that Heinlein hated their accolades and adoration. It was just a book to him - not intended to be his treatise of life.

ps. I think it was a hellava statement about modern humanity, even if he did not want acknowledge it as such.

GA

My understanding is that the book was written as a parody of religion - Heinlein was a strong atheist, I think.  Heinlein wrote several books that were a comment on society and life and none were intended to be a guide to follow.

But I am god.  You are god.  The grasshopper and the blade of grass is god.  All that groks is god.  Thus the answer is plain; god exists.

Yep. What else can we surmise?

Not much.  If we're going to invent a god, it might as well be us!

Yes, but I did not invent myself! I had NOTHING TO DO with my existence as FAR AS I REMEMBER!

Your parents "invented" you.  I would have thought you understood that, along with the rest of the birds and bees story. big_smile

,,,like they did anything but get drunk while watching Dizzy Gillespie in some Chicago club one October evening and then afterwards lie around in in my mom's apartment!
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dizzy_Gillespie

I dunno - I suspect they did a little more than "lie around"! big_smile

3. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 9 years ago

Nothing would make me happier than the knowledge that a god existed. However I've never been presented with any evidence and I chose to live my life based upon evidence rather than feelings emotion subjective ideas or superstition.

I did have an unshakeable belief for 25 years which was based upon party line interpretations of the bible, other people's opinions, hearsay, subjective feelings, hunches, and best of all fear of going to hell. My house was built entirely upon sand. Then one day I decided to do some digging. I dug in the sand for 4 years looking for a rock of evidence, historical or biblical, to see if what I believed had any substance. I didn't find any rock at all.

In all those 25 years the god described by my fellow Christian believers never once came and said hi or otherwise made himself known to me in any tangible way. If you spent years talking to a friend who wouldn't engage in conversation with you wouldn't you get bored?

Despite all the dire warnings that walking away from god would cause my life to implode or allow the devil to fubar my life, nothing actually changed. Except that now I feel free and my finances are in a much better state.

So does the Christian god exist? No I don't think so, the image put forward is illogical, likewise the Jewish and Islamic image. However there might actually be a god somewhere that is none of the above. The trouble is he prefers to remain hidden requiring us to infer his existence based upon feelings and personal interpretations of our own little worlds.

4. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 9 years ago

(Without comment)

Psalm 14:1  : The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

1. Jomine Jose profile image71
      Jomine Joseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is the wise who say there is god for he can pocket the money.

lol

2. thirdmillenium profile image60
        thirdmilleniumposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree for most part. But there are any number of selfless people who say there is God, I am sure you will agree.

You're right - there are lots of people saying that the (Christian) god is real.  About half as many as are saying it isn't.

1. thirdmillenium profile image60

Firstly, God does not have religion. Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism are all false religions simply because they were ALL either created by the Adversary or had been taken over by him a long time ago. To be fair, it is almost impossible to follow Jesus' teaching and so though you call yourself a Christian, your being Christian is limited to your name: Albert, Xavier, George, Mary, Elizabeth etc. Millions of good, decent, considerate people live and die. They are good but not Christians. How could they be? Do they follow Christ's teaching 100%? Obviously not.

As I said, most of the world will disagree with you.  Meaning that when you use "lots of people agree" as a point for Christianity (and it's god) the points actually go to the other side.

Whether it's modern Christians or the disciples themselves the principle remains the same.

That is precisely my point. They may agree but they are not all Christians though "think" they are.

No - I speak of the large majority of humanity that does NOT think of themselves as Christian, that reject the Christian god as even existing.

2. Jomine Jose profile image71

Selfless not wise and that makes your initial quote false.

OK< selfless AND wise

Wise, selfless and religious is a contradiction. The wise know there is no god and hence pocket the money and the foolish atheists try to block their livelihood.

Who is wise and how do you define wisdom in definitive terms? Stephan Hawking thinks there cannot be a God. Einstein wasn't sure either way. Bertrand Russel even wrote a book "Why I am not a Christian". Buddha did not believe in God. Gandhi or Martin Luther King were completely religious. I think the best bet is to leave every human being to own beliefs and let him deal with them himself.

Wise is the one who knows there is no god but say there is.

What you mean is that any wise-man has to be essentially a hypocrite

5. word55 profile image70
    word55posted 9 years ago

If you, I or we exist then God exits as well. If God did not exist it would be impossible for us to exist. Many people ignore the existence of Him but God is so loving of His creation that He gives us numerous opportunities to realize that He is the one and true God.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)