This Is What Web Spam Looks Like [Photo]

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. susi10 profile image96
    susi10posted 8 years ago

This is what web spam looks like, if it had to be summarised in one photo.
    http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12398744_f1024.jpg

Yikes.

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Actually, no it isn't.  The links in the photos are to other hubs on this same site. They aren't advertisements.   When you have a website and it links to other related pages it isn't considered "Spammy".

The idea of related hubs and suggested hubs is to keep people on HP longer, which in turn makes the site appear less spammy and helps with Google ranking (in theory anyway).  What Google doesn't like is high bounce rates.

What could be considered "spammy" here are the numerous advertisements per page, but the other hub elements are not.  I think that the sheer volume of ads is a bit much.

As for the hubs chosen, hopefully that will be tweaked to be more relevant.  On some of my hubs; the recommended hubs are not really aligned with my subject matter which is concerning.  I'm not sure why you consider others hubs "dodgy" - unless your complaint is they aren't related to the original content of your hub.  If they are truly offensive report them to staff.  Nothing in that image leads me to understand why they would be dodgy though.

1. TacTac profile image69
        TacTacposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agreed 100% with this!
        Individual hubs could be considered a bit spammy but the photo posted isn't really spammy, cluttered for sure, but not spammy. smile

2. NateB11 profile image87
        NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, in fact Google wants a site and pages to be navigable, including having breadcrumbs and links to other places on the site.

2. Jason Marovich profile image87
      Jason Marovichposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I look at what the advert layouts look like when I land on a page, not when I scroll down to the bottom.

Go to espn.com, an authoritative sports site, and click an article.  Look familiar?  How about usatoday.com (click on read story for any article).  Yikes, indeed. 

This is what the top notch programming professionals see as the best option for internet content and advertising. 

HubPages is going with the flow.  Hard to imagine anyone being penalized for spam when their layout and content is quite similar to the major sites.

2. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

What is webspam? 

"Webspam (also referred to search spam) is a phrase used to describe webpages that are designed to "spam Google search results" using SEO tactics that are against Google publishers guidelines. Pages that use webspam to improve search engine results page (SERP) rankings typically use black hat SEO tactics such as keyword stuffing or cloaking, the latter of which involves employing misleading redirects and/or doorway pages of websites.

In April 2012, Google announced its Penguin-codenamed "Webspam Algorithm Update" that better identifies websites using aggressive webspam tactics."  --  webopedia .com

3. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

I find spammy content fairly easy to identify, and I agree about the clutter in the image. There may be some spam within it but I've seen a lot worse. Anytime a hub has tons of links to product sites or constant promotional links, then it's more often spam than not. It's interesting though to see and think about.

4. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

The Google-served related hubs thingy  either repeats the related hubs on the side, or by default it directs you to the most popular hubs on HP (some great and some dodgy) when it can't find something related.  I agree with Susi that when you reach the end of a hub you are treated to a cluttered mess that looks spammy. Also, Choice Overload

5. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 8 years ago

I'd like to know what difference it makes to earnings if a reader goes to another of a hubber's hubs via the Previous/Next or More by the Author vs the google carousel at the bottom.

Have we been told what difference the various 'paths' make - perhaps somewhere else on a forum thread?

6. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

Just because you see it everywhere does not make it "right" irrespective of which sites are doing it.

I seem to recall that Google takes a stance on things when it decides things have got out of control. Their bottom line, so they say, is the quality of the reader experience.

So one has to ask what does it look like to the reader....... and does it provide a good quality experience?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)