The Number One Reason You Don't Get Traffic

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (31 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 8 years ago

Since I see this mistake being made again and again by new members (and a few older ones), I just want to remind you.

The title of your hub is what makes or breaks it.

The title:

1. Is a big indicator of what it ranks for in Google.
    2. Is what teases people enough to get clicks on social media.
    3. Should be packed with keywords (or synonyms).
    4. Should match what people are Googling on your topic (and hopefully not finding answers to elsewhere).
    5. Should be as specific as possible, not broad.

For instance.

Bad title:
    Cat eats food.

Good title:
    15 Reasons Cats Lick Cat Food From Their Paws*

*Disclaimer: I know nothing about cats, cat food or paws.

With the right title, you can get awesome traffic even for terrible content. With great content too - you're set!

1. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Don't you still have to have a hubber score of 85 or above before google will even look at your hubs???

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

no.

2. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 8 years agoin reply to this

As long as your hub is featured, Google can see it.

Hub and hubber scores are ONLY an internal ranking factor and are not seen or cared about by Google.

1. SmartAndFun profile image95
          SmartAndFunposted 8 years agoin reply to this

LOL. After all these years, hub/hubber scores remain the source of so much confusion and misunderstanding, even among seasoned veterans like galleryofgrace. I really wish HP would dump the scores already.

Please excuse the mini-rant. Sorry to go off topic.

3. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

You might be thinking of Hub Score, which affects backlinks. Basically backlinks in a Hub won't give link juice if your score is too low. Can't remember, I think this applies to Hubber Score too. If you don't care about backlinks, it doesn't matter. I don't think backlinking is all that good of an idea these days, after all Penguin penalizes artificial backlinks and also only counts a certain number of them.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think you're a wee bit confused, too. 

It's not backlinks TO your Hubs that are affected, it's links WITHIN your Hub.  They won't pass "link juice". 

If you're using your Hubs to promote your own website, you'll care about that.    If you're not, then it's not a concern and doesn't cause you any harm.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
            DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I thought self-promoting your own website outside of Hub Pages was a serious taboo....

Not at all. You can have a maximum of two links to any outside site, including your own. It just needs to be a link appropriate to the content and providing further relevant information related to the topic.

2. NateB11 profile image88

That's what I meant, Marisa. I probably didn't word it very clearly.

2. Venkatachari M profile image84
      Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Very useful tips. I agree with it. But implementing them is a tough job.

3. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Is it true that using a number like "5 tips............" works well in getting traffic?

I *think* I heard someone say (errrrr...'saw a post') .. that Google doesn't like numbers; that you'be be better off writing it out; "Five Tips..."
        I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong and misunderstood...

Google says a lot of things. However my 50 ways, 40 ways, 30 ways etc articles all do extremely well. Then again, I pretty much ignore most of what Google says and make stuff up as I go along, so who knows... big_smile

1. Chriswillman90 profile image92
            Chriswillman90posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've always wondered about the numbers in titles and whether or not they should be spelt out. I've been using the number and have no idea if that's a good or bad thing.

1. paradigm search profile image54
              paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am reasonably certain that...

0-9 should be spelled out

10 should be"10" if for no other reason than that is what the searchers type.

11 and up should be the numbers.

4. NateB11 profile image88

Absolutely. Nailed it.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image86

I am learning--albeit slowly.  I came up through the old journalism school, where you need a clever, 'catchy' title for a 'hook.'

But people don't search for those kinds of terms.  It's an ongoing struggle for me to craft SEO-friendly titles.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

Does this also work with my poetry ? LOL

Yes. People are going to find a poem titled "Poem About Roses & Love" more easily in Google than one titled "Ode to Elune".

Cardisa has a great hub on SEO for creative writing, here.

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you !

3. Au fait profile image84
    Au faitposted 8 years ago

Agree 100%.  People think I'm crazy when I tell them basically what you've said here, but it's the truth.

4. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

Yep. Whenever I update a hub, first thing I do is look at the new search phrases that brought the visitor to the hub. If the search phrase isn't already in the title, I usually add it.

I've tried that to some extent, but there are times when it doesn't work well; makes the title too long and cumbersome in order to fit the other words in, which in turn defeats the purpose.

5. Sunshine625 profile image87
    Sunshine625posted 8 years ago

Excellent tips!!

6. viryabo profile image93
    viryaboposted 8 years ago

Thank you for these tips. Crafting a good title has been (and still is) a challenge for me.
    Will need to take a 2nd look at some of mine.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1

7. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

I've always believed it's all about the title and I'm starting to get it. I plan on doing a mass edit once I hit a 100 hubs and the titles will be a major priority.

I wouldn't wait that long, Chris; it gets to be a major challenge and a lot of time to do so many at once. 
      If it were me, I'd go ahead and work on that project now, while your numbers are still manageable.
      Trust me; I've got over 300 Hubs, and have learned this the hard way; still working on it, as a matter of fact.

1. Chriswillman90 profile image92
        Chriswillman90posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes I suppose you're correct and my goodness over 300 hubs wow. I'm in the 70's now, and there's plenty to edit and it'll take a while.

8. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

Good point about titles (especially the poem thing, although I don't write poems on here).  When I first signed up here (ages ago) I wrote so many Hubs based on the ideas I got from the "Requests" section and worried more about offering a solid answer than about the title.  Most are gone.  Some remain.    I used to try to use the old "title tuner", but it was so slow I couldn't be bothered.  (Maybe some of those non-SEO-friendly just kind of freaked out the title tuner - I don't know... - but it was un-usable for/to me.)

Anyway, good point to remind/inform people about.  (I so often think of the words from one of the "adm people" on Helium, "a clever turn of a phrase is not enough".  )  These days (besides transitioning from the pen-name), I'm pretty much holding off on writing any Hubs that don't lend themselves well to getting their own traffic (with non-clever-turn-of-phrase titles) and according to HP's latest guidelines/standards (at least to the extent that any of my subjects would allow me to without making them look cheesy or inappropriate)..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)