My CPMs have been halved!!

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (49 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years ago

Guess it's due to the holiday season coming around, but although my views are still OK, my CPMs are half of what they were even a month ago.  Anybody else seeing this, or is it just me?

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Just you. Then again my CPM cut in half like 6-8 months ago and never recovered. Same hubs same traffic.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Mine has gone up and down over the years, and I shouldn't really complain because even when it is down, it is still considerably higher than what most people see.  I just wondered if anybody else was having this problem.

My hubs are mostly seasonal, so I expect CPMs will return in the late Spring.  Sigh

Around a year ago mine were like that. Higher than most people. Now it's 25% of what it was. But nope no new change noticed.

2. Solaras profile image95
        Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

August 2014 I saw CPM cut in half, with no recovery to be seen.  It is one of my concerns about the viability of any income stream from advertising.

2. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I wish the forums had an anonymous poll feature.  I'm very curious what people consider to be good and poor CPMs.

From what I have read, average CPMs average between $2 and $5 per 1000 impressions, but remember that the team gets 40%.

So, for example, if I get 1000 views, I generally figure that 600 of them might get impressions (but not all of them may be mine because some impressions strictly belong to the team).  I then multiply 600 by the average number of dollars I currently get, and that gives me a fair estimation of what I will receive on any given day.

So, if I get 1000 impressions at $3 per 1000, I will get $1.80 more or less.  It's just a rough estimate, but usually I'm fairly close.  If I get all of it, then all of them were mine.  If I get less, then some of them were the team's.

Some people get far fewer than that, and some get far more.  To raise mine, when I use the Google Keyword tool, I always look to see what advertisers are paying for key words and try to use the ones that are getting the most.  It seems to work most of the time, but, in my case, it is seasonal because of my niche here.

Hope that helps.

Not exactly. When you see the CPM, they show you your share of impressions. So it's the CPM for 1000 of your views. Your 60% only.

I don't think so because otherwise my numbers would be way off.

Go to: https://hubpages.com/my/earnings/reports?type=hpads

check your CPM and Impressions (Impressions is your 60%).

Your earnings: (CPM*Impressions)/1000

That shows that the CPM displayed is for your share of the impressions.

OK.  I guess we learn something new every day!  Thanks.

Haha yea we all do.

2. tsmog profile image84
          tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for explaining smile

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
            DrMark1961posted 8 years agoin reply to this

tsmog--are you aware of where you can see the CPM without trying to go through these calculations? Just go to your earnings page, then earnings report, and under the "Choose Report Type" block you can choose "Ad Program" and the dates that you want to look at. If you choose that option, it will give you the CPM earned on that day and the number of impressions.
            When I saw this post by TT2 I went back and took a look at my CPMs. (If I did not have this chart I would have no idea what the CPM is historically since I do not keep track of those numbers or go through the calculations that TT2 points out.) Historically, the numbers on Thursday were low, as low as last March, but there is a lot of fluctuation. Hopefully it will go back up again--it always has in the past.
            But, as Dale points out, it certainly has not increased.

I know you can do this, but I was referring to knowing BEFORE the earnings info appears on the stats page.

For example, at t he end of the day, I can see my approximate views and do my figuring from there.  Then I don't have to wait, and I also get to see if I was right or not!

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
                DrMark1961posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I figured you remembered this but I sent the message to tsmog since it seemed from his question that he did not know where to find the CPMs and numbers of impressions.

2. tsmog profile image84

Thank you. I will be watching and learning. smile

3. profile image0

I know how to find the CPM in my account (no need to calculate it because HP already does it as Brandon explained) and I've heard the $2 - $5 figure before, but I'm skeptical because I've never found a reliable -- and current -- source for that figure.  Not saying you made it up or anything, it's just like one of those urban legends that gets told over and over.

A simple anonymous poll with options ranging from $0 to $10 in $0.50 increments, asking what your average CPM for  October 2015 was, that would be very eye-opening.  Maybe someone can write a hub around it and include polls for each month of 2015.

I don't think this is against the rules, but over a year ago, that bracket that you just suggested wouldn't hold my CPM. And now I fall in the general urban legend category. So that's how bad I feel lol

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
            Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's a figure that used to be quoted by HubPages staff all the time.

3. Dale Hyde profile image79
      Dale Hydeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There is a lack of a certain element here in this discussion so far....no one has said their CMP's have increased, lol.

Good point !

4. tsmog profile image84

For the learning experience where does one see the CPM? Or, how is it calculate?

1. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Go to Earnings in My Account; go to Earnings Reports; There is a box that by default says All Programs; click on it and there will be a drop down; click on Ad Program then hit Submit; scroll down and you will see a column for CPM.

1. NateB11 profile image88
          NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

CPM is an average of how much you earn per a thousand views.

2. tsmog profile image84

Got it. Thanks smile

2. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

Mine has lowered a little, but I think it's a normal fluctuation. They should be going up soon, at least that's what I've observed during the Holidays.

3. kenyaentrepreneur profile image89
    kenyaentrepreneurposted 8 years ago

I have observed that cpms are influenced by which particular hubs get the most traffic on any given day.

4. Rafiq23 profile image86
    Rafiq23posted 8 years ago

My CPM has also dropped significantly.

5. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 8 years ago

Yep mine has dropped too!

6. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

Following my own suggestion I made an anonymous poll on a freebie poll website.  Hope no one thinks I'm spamming.  http://www.poll-maker.com/poll473827x9c084AE4-19 (It's set so that you can only vote once.)

Haha cool smile just voted.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

So far you don't really have enough responses to come to any real meaning statistically at this point.  However, I would really like to see what happens if you ever get, say, 1000 responses.

Just looking at what you have so far, however, it seems that my figures weren't far off.  Only 1 person was getting more than the range I originally stated.

This, by the way, was not a "made up" figure.  It was researched years ago by another hubber who somehow got the actual numbers.

More interesting is the hub Relache posted awhile back that discusses average overall earnings as the result of a poll she took.  If she still has it available on her profile, you can check it out.  Can't remember the title.  If I am remembering correctly, more than 50% of the people who responded were making $10 or less per month.  This would jive with the range I provided.

Interesting stuff.

1. profile image0

My, my, aren't we defensive.

I only regret not including negative trollfinity squared for DasEngel should he ever get wind of the poll.

Geesh:  I was just discussing the issue to clarify.  No bad intentions, really!

7. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

Is change to CPM an individual thing that varies hubber to hubber? Or do they affect everybody across the board, for the most part. I see ups and downs but nothing drastic or significant. My CPMs stay within the same range. They have gone down a couple dollars since January of this year. But overall, since I've been here for 3 years, they have increased steadily each year, until the decrease this year. So I can't complain.

It also looks like the more hubs, the more impressions, the more earnings you get. So regardless of the CPM, we need more traffic to see significant earnings. Right? My CPM might be high one day but if I have few impressions, oh well. I'm not reaping the benefit of a high CPM that may last for only 24 hours.

Well I think that CPM's are based on the categories. The amount of traffic a hub in a particular category receives is what determines your ultimate CPM. Because advertisers usually pay for ads on specific categories.

My guess is that they pay more on certain topics, those that are popular and will be well read. 

For example, insurance.  It's a highly competitive key word and advertisers are all over it.  The problem, of course, is getting your hub found for such an over saturated topic!

2. janshares profile image94
        jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, lobobrandon and TIMETRAVELER2. Makes sense now.

2. janderson99 profile image53
      janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Solaras profile image95

For your topics, perhaps, but not for mine.  CPM is actually up from September's CPM for me. 

Sunday my traffic was up 80%; that has throttled back, but is still up 30%.  Amazon sales have returned this week to normal levels for me as well. October Amazon sales were awful until the last 3 days of the month pulled it up out of the abyss.

Yes, but your niche is a highly popular one that would be very widely read by many people and thus strongly supported by advertisers.  That you do so well is great because you've got tons of competition!

1. Solaras profile image95

I can tell you that health related topics earn twice what you may have guessed at earlier.  (Trying to be cryptic here lol). 

I still believe Mesothelioma would earn $50.0-$400.00 per click, but you really have some competition there.

I have a cousin in tort law, she pays Google $2500.00 per click on the right subjects. If she gets a case, it is worth a million+ to her.

I have a few health related hubs.  They used to be on this site, but I moved them to my second one.  They do OK, but nowhere close to what you are discussing...I must be writing on the wrong health topic! 

Those figures you quoted are unbelievable!  Who knew?  Now I see why all of those big health related sites are on the web...like they don't already make enough!!!

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
              Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You're right, they pay very well - but good luck actually earning that money!   

The biggest problem with keyword research is that all the spammers do it, and they target the highest-paying keywords.   The result is a mass of worthless spammy websites on those topics, and that has consequences. 

Mesothelioma is a classic example - it became so saturated with spam sites, Google slapped a penalty on  every blog that included the word (which was very tough on individuals who were writing genuine accounts of their experiences).

8. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 8 years ago

Done you'd have to delete the last one as the reply shows the previous post. Cheers smile

9. Good Guy profile image84
    Good Guyposted 8 years ago

Mine still the same, except the pageviews have halved, for a long time already.  I have given up.

10. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

Apple's encouragement of adblocking software might be the problem. If it is, do not expect any improvement soon.

11. profile image0
    promisemposted 8 years ago

It's not just you. My CPMs have declined to the lowest level in more than a year. My scores and page views are the same.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)