I've Been Hub Snipped! Just a Question?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 8 years ago

I have had a Hub snipped according to my email, hub staff have improved it, images, low quality this and that. Trouble is they have taken every single photo out! its just a page of writing and looks really dull! The question is, am I supposed to add some more photos or is that it? thanks

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Being snipped generally means they're getting ready to move your post to a niche.  If so, they will be adding photos.  Wait a few days before doing anything.  If you replace the photos, your hub could become unfeatured.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

They won't add photos unless they are editing with HubPro,as far as I'm aware.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

If that's the case, then Nell should wait a few days.  If  nothing further happens, she'll need to replace the old photos with some high quality, relevant ones.  I would not, however, put the old ones back.

Nell Roseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, no not those old ones, I cringe when I think of them! lol!

2. Nell Rose profile image90

Eek! better get rid of the photo I just added! thanks! lol!

2. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I had one snipped, too. All they did was remove the Amazon product capsule because they said it wasn't relevant. What got me was, the capsule I chose was for a mattress topper - the same one I was reviewing. When I saw what they snipped it had suddenly become a memory foam pillow. I don't understand that because I didn't change the product. I know eBay products rotate, but I've not know Amazon to do so. Is this something new or does HP not want us to make money on the articles that get moved to niche sites?

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
        Jean Bakulaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm starting to wonder myself. I had about 15 hubs on Exemplore. One was long, so I split it into 2 parts back when I originally wrote it. They put Part 2 on the niche site, but not Part 1. It's the same quality of writing, it's the same piece! I just split it up. So I wrote to the team, and now the piece is off Exemplore. I think they are playing games with us.

I have also a lot of "series" pieces, which are of the same writing quality, but don't make sense if you split up the pieces. So what did they do? Split up the pieces. I give up. Hope it's better for you.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
          Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Jean, I've been doing the complete opposite from what you are doing. I've been working the past couple of months merging hubs that were in a series or related to a similar subject. Google seems to put more ranking on hubs with more information, because after I've merged some of my hubs, they did better than the total views of the individual hubs. In addition, some of my merged hubs had been selected for niche sites.

Maybe in your case, when you split up the hubs, you left too little content in one of them. So that one was not sufficient for the niche site. Then when you complained that they split related hubs, they had no choice but to put them back in the same domain.

That's not playing games with you, as you said. In my opinion they must have just responded to your complaint that you didn't want the two hubs in separate sites. So they moved them back together to satisfy you.

Hi Glenn,
            I'm not sure. I tend to write long hubs, and the ones I split up were 3,000 words, so even in the case of where they took Part 2, left Part 1, and when I asked a question, took Part 2 out of the niche site, it was over 1500 words.

I write Astrology a lot, and wrote about all 12 Moon Signs. They did put 6 on Exemplore, but now people are writing to me to ask where their sign is, if it's in the 6 that were left behind. I got a snarky answer from Matt about going back to improve them, when they were my best read hubs or 4 years now, and I was insulted when I see some of the garbage written around here. They always score around 98 or 99 all year around.

So I can't combine already long pieces into longer ones. How many words did you have in the ones you combined? I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for offering your help as always. It upset me to see that I had something on a niche site, and then it was off. They are still leaving the ones taken for the niche sites on my regular account page. Is that the normal procedure? I guess I have to wait and give it more time before I form an opinion. Thanks again.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97

Hi Jean,
              To answer your questions - I had some hubs that had around 1000 to 1500 words that were not doing so well. But I found I had written several hubs on the same topic over the years. So I carefully selected some to be combined. In the process I also removed some text to avoid redundancy, but also added new text as I reworked each new combined hub, totaling 3000 or more words once completed. I combined them by keeping the one that had the most views and deleting the other that was merged into the first.

If I understood your second question correctly, all hubs that are moved to niche sites will continue to show up in your account page. That's how you continue to have access to them from one place. You can also select the filter at the top of the account page to see stats on just the hubs in a particular niche site.

As far as what you said about those hubs of yours having the "best reads" - are they purely organic reads? Meaning, are they from search engines?  If they received a ton of traffic from non search results, such as links you placed in various social networks, that traffic doesn't count (as I understand it).

The hubs that got the most reads were from search engines. Astrology doesn't change, and many of them stayed on the first pages of Google for years.

The tarot card ones were the longest, as there are 78 in a deck. Even a short paragraph adds up to a lot of words. I had 8 hubs there and they moved 7, leaving out part of the deck. That was one of the issues where Matt insinuated it didn't make the cut, but they were all written in the same style, and a person can't learn part of a tarot deck. I can't combine those any better than I did.

You did understand correctly, I wondered if the hubs moved to niche sites still remained on everyone's accounts, and mine are.

I guess I can review and try to improve, but I've taken off all Amazon capsules (they always tell me Astrology ones have nothing to do with Astrology, even when it does). I write about other topics, so ones that stand alone may do better. But as most of my stuff is Astrology, there are 12, so this system isn't going to work well for my work, even though it's evergreen.

And the two part one about how Opposites in Astrology Attract each other hurt the worst. It was one piece, so when I split it the quality of the second half of it was as good as the first. The two hubs are once again my most read. I think it was mean spirited to take the one back and off the niche site. I feel insulted by it, and always felt that HP's administration had "pets" who write mediocre stuff and it was always HOTD or whatever the next, best thing was supposed to be. I'm pretty disgusted right now, but have been asked to be a guest writer on someone else's blog who appreciates my writing style, so I will be putting more effort into that. But thank you for answering all my questions. I have met some nice people here.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97

This is definitely not the case. Of course they want you to make money on the niche sites. Don't forget that they make money too from 40% of the impressions. One of my hubs that was moved to a niche site has been making more money there than ever before, I'm getting Amazon sales almost every day now from that one hub. So I can assure you that you are wrong in thinking they don't want you to make money from niche sites. The only thing is that the Amazon item needs to be 100% related without any exceptions and that you clearly show authority of knowing the product by having used it yourself.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

Being snipped is indeed painful. Personally, I'd add some new images; making sure they are really purdy, relevant, and unpixilated.

lol! yes para it is indeed painful! I will add some very purdy ones, thank you!

3. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 8 years ago

I've had one snipped too, but all they did was remove one link (they hate too many links, especially if they are not related to the topic of your hub) looks like and kept everything else.  I make sure now before publishing that I use nothing but "legal" photos from free digital photos or pixabay or wikimedia commons, and others, as that is all I ever use now, or my own personal photos, but sometimes it is hard to find some that will go with your topic.  I've tried to go back on my older hubs and update them with proper photos, but I know I don't have as many hubs as others do!

Anyway, the hub they snipped of mine, they chose to put on one of their new sites as they say it is high quality. 

So, it is always good when one has a little time here and there to make sure all photos are legal.  There are so many good sights now that offer the free legal photos as I stated and you can almost find anything you want, especially pixabay.  Then for the historical stuff and such, wikimedia commons usually will have everything.  Or public domain photos are good too.

They may have snipped it because they are about to choose it for one of their other special sites, as they say they only choose the best and high quality hubs for those.

Thanks Faith, I did add one photo at the top but left the rest

4. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 8 years ago

Nell, Were the photos that were snipped pixilated? Or were not not really relevant to the subject? Or were they not permitted for commercial use? Some people miss that last point, not realizing that since we get paid it is considered commercial use.

These may be reasons for the snipping.

Thanks Glenn yes they were pretty bad photos! I think I must have joined here at the time, now I am going over all my hubs and updating the photos and links!

1. molometer profile image80
        molometerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Rose,
        I got snipped a while back. Thankfully it wasn't major surgery, they deleted one amazon link which I have added back in because a reader wanted to know where to find info on a Carp Fish Bowl. The bowl is not available on Amazon at the moment but the advert is still there for the customer to find the supplier. So I added it back in for the readers benefit.
        Traffic is normal at 110 views per day

Hi Michael, thanks, yes I am leaving mine well alone at the moment, just to see what happens! lol!

Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Nell Rose,
            I had a hub snipped, but it was one where I took all the pictures myself. I notice some of the pictures were a little clearer. I did have one Amazon product on it, and that's gone.

I was also surprised it was a hub about gardening, as it's not my main topic by any means.

Good luck.

5. Frank Atanacio profile image74
    Frank Atanacioposted 8 years ago

I've been snipped too.. it didn't hurt, they just removed Ebay link and an amazon link...  I think

6. Sparrowlet profile image95
    Sparrowletposted 8 years ago

I'll ask again, as I've not seen the answer to this yet... How do you know when your hub has been transferred to a niche site?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You'll get an email

2. AliciaC profile image93
      AliciaCposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Sparrowlet. HubPages sends an email when a hub has been transferred to a niche site.

1. Sparrowlet profile image95
        Sparrowletposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ahh, thanks Marisa and Alicia!

7. profile image57
    E-FusionSoftposted 7 years ago

I like your hubpost.

I was just upset. They are using hubpro today and I got an email about the hub. I always had trouble finding pictures for my hubs, and don't draw well. They put the ugliest black and white Astrology wheel I have ever seen at the very top of the hub. Then they added bullet points, but used much harsher words to describe the traits than I would have. I know we can change them, if within the rules, afterwards, but am unsure what happens. I had a two piece article that was supposed to be together, and they had one part on Exemplore. When I asked, they took the one off Exemplore and acted like the 2nd half was under par. I think I don't like this niche thing.

1. misterhollywood profile image92
        misterhollywoodposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I've followed all your hubs and saw the one in question. Omg that picture they chose should be changed to something more colorful. Why they put the one they have there escapes me. They could have gotten a free pic in color on pixbay.

I'm not even going to tell you what they did with one of my hubs. I feel like it's not even my own voice anymore but instead, a cringeworthy marriage between wiki-how and readers digest.

No offense Hubpages but some of the changes happening might be doing more harm than good - and I say that trying to be supportive.

Thanks John,
          I have made minor changes to one hub they moved to Exemplore, and so far that's OK, it was more of an update. As far as the next one, I am unsure if it's the ugly picture at top or the mean bullet points they chose. Although the hub is about Negative Traits in Astrology Signs, I would have said it in a nicer way had I decided to use bullet points. I wrote the piece in humor laced with truth, and they just said it all in the meanest way. I don't treat people like that.

And I don't know what they will change as far as the writing, so far that's been left alone. I haven't written anything new here in a long time. I notice most of the stuff on the niche sites has been written in the last 3 weeks. They are desperate and will try anything. And if I get told once more to "improve my writing" by the "Team",(usually when they do something so ridiculous I write in and comment) my answer will not be printable when they allow some of the crap that is on this site. That's why most of the best writers are gone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)