We are all Thieves!

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (33 posts)
  1. profile image0
    James Agbogunposted 14 years ago

Imagine that your cell phone was strangely credited with $30. And in the process of celebrating, the phone rang and behold an individual begging you to refund the money, that she substituted a false digit in the course of crediting her account. Would you return the money? Survey has shown that most people will not. Most Men are thieves when nobody is watching. Or are you not a Thief?

1. Drew Breezzy profile image62
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

kinda a strange example

But say you find 20 dollars on the ground, how are you to find who lost it?

If I found a wallet with ID I'd return it.

1. profile image0
        James Agbogunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is strange because am a witness of this example.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
          Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its mine ,just fedex it back to me,lol

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My immediate reaction - no, I wouldn't give the individual the money, because I'd immediately be worried it was a scam.  If I was called by the phone company, that would be a different matter - and then, I wouldn't have to do anything, because they would be able to simply cancel the credit. 

That has nothing to do with my honesty.

1. profile image0

That is called Discipline.

3. viryabo profile image94
      viryaboposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hmm Do unto others as you wish them do unto you James!!

2. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

James - no doubts, I'd return the money equivalent. Simple as that. Not knowing is one thing, what do you do? But knowing is another.

1. profile image0

In my experience, the man spoke as if he was going to refund the money the next minute. It is three months now.

3. wesleycox profile image71
    wesleycoxposted 14 years ago

I would give the money back, because if that happened to me I would want my money returned.  In essence, live life by the golden rule.

1. profile image0

There are a lot of moral men out there, it seems.

2. Valerie F profile image60
      Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd expect no less from a guy with your avatar. smile

I'd probably do the same.

1. wesleycox profile image71
        wesleycoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.

4. Lady_E profile image60
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

A friend of mine had his Bank account credited with a large amount of money by a bank - in Error. If that was you James, what would you do? You haven't really answered the question.

Another Hubber also shared a similar experience in a comment on one of my Hubs.

What's your story?

1. profile image0

Am surprise this happened in Italy. I wanted to recharge my sister's account, only for the Attendant to miss a digit. She called the man, he agreed for a refund. And that was the end. Since i had not mastered the language, i could not argue further. 20 Euro gone.

2. profile image0

Boomerang is my own principle of life. If i take something that does not belong to me, somebody will definitely take mine in the future.

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

A singular (and even multiple) occurrence is not a ground for such a broad generalization I would think. Losing a faith in humanity in general and yourself in particular over 20 euros looks - umm - petty. smile

1. profile image0

It is to  draw the attention. It is not a hasty generalisation.

6. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

We are not all crooks! shades of Nixon maybe too much. LOL

1. profile image0

Funny uh. At least calling us crooks is required to start a dialogue.

7. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I'm not sure the honest people get enough press.  My son lost his wallet on a Boston subway train, and he was fortunate enough to have someone turn it in with all its contents.  The same son lost his cell phone (a couple of years later  smile) at a commuter rail station.  The guy who found the phone called me and wanted to let "the owner" know that he was wrapping the phone in newspaper and sticking it behind some sign. 

If I got extra money on my phone, and someone called to tell me what it was; I'd call the phone company and ask how it could be straightened out.  Unless, for some reason, I knew the person (bills can get mixed up when people with the same last name live in the same house) I'd probably think twice before just mailing cash to a stranger (I don't know why, if I saw the extra credit - but you never really know what kind of scams can go on.)  In any case, if I got the credit and later learned where it most likely came from, I wouldn't try to keep it.

1. B.Z. Alixandre profile image67
      B.Z. Alixandreposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would be incredibly wary that this was a scam.  Changing credits one way or another is a fairly simple thing to do by someone who can hack, con, or has access to the system.  That goes through the phone company so I would insist the person go through the phone company.  I would verify that I had an unaccounted for credit to the company, but thats it.  I don't think this makes me a thief, I think this makes me practical.  I would happily have the phone company recover the credit over to them, and would not begrudge them whatsoever.  I also don't think I have a lack of faith in humanity.  I trust most people, especially face to face.

8. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

If all the facts were true, I would return the money.  What doesn't belong to me, doesn't belong to me.

9. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

I have both returned a wallet and had one returned (in both cases by mail, with postage paid by the finder, not with funds from the wallet)... meaning the "right" thing actually cost each of us money during the respective events, thus  providing TWO instances of men being honest.  I believe my two instances provide twice the evidence of your single one, and therefore you may rest at ease knowing that the empirical data prove been a shadow of a doubt that men are honest.

10. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

If I was absolutely broke and would not have bought $30 worth of credit, then no I would not refund it. I would instead apologise but say that I would never purposely go out and purchase $30 of credit in my financial predicament.

If on the other hand I had plenty of money and regularly topped up my mobile, then I would offer to send the person a cheque. Just as long as they were very polite/sincere and sounded grateful for me going through the inconvenience. I guess that you never know the other persons financial situation, so if I could afford to return the money then I would - just in case they relied on that credit for the whole month or something.

One thing is for sure, I would expect them to remain gracious throughout; an aggressive voice on the other end of the line demanding their $30 back would have no chance of getting a favour from me and I would make sure that I spent that $30 of credit on something stupid - like calling them to discuss the reasons for not returning the $30 of credit.

1. profile image0

You are very sincere. That does not mean you are a Thief.

11. TheFont profile image60
    TheFontposted 14 years ago

I would give it back provided I knew it wasn't a scam. If I found a wallet I would absolutely return it, same with a phone, money anything. I know there are people that wouldn't in the world, but I like to think there are lots of people like me that would. It keeps me happy believing that!

12. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

Anyone taking money from the government is a thief by proxy.  Taxes are monies taken by force from one and given to others.

1. tony0724 profile image60
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

logic,commonsense that was a great answer

13. tony0724 profile image60
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

And I would return the money . I have many faults but being a thief Is not one of them . I believe In karma. An on top of that I like a clear conscience , It Is the best pillow you can sleep with at night !

14. Angel Of Love profile image62
    Angel Of Loveposted 14 years ago

With your cellphone crediting problem example, you should return it.

15. Connie Smith profile image83
    Connie Smithposted 14 years ago

I would definitely return the money, after making sure that my account was credited for sure.  Whenever I get too much change back, I alway let the cashier know by returning it, whether it is a quarter or 10 dollars.  Whoever said the conscience is clear, I agree.  That is how I feel about giving back money that does not belong to me.

16. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I have found the opposite. Almost all people are honest. I spent over 30 years in business and only met a few bad apples in a very large cross section of the community from bikers to lawyers.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)