Is Their any real Christians left?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (54 posts)
  1. profile image0
    mdawson17posted 14 years ago

I have on so many occasions ran across fake Christians whom proclaim to be devout Christians (Living in the truth) and confess Jesus Christ out of their mouth but show deceitfulness and evilness in the deeds they do!

Are there any faithful and just Christians left and if so where are they?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They are hiding, waiting to be discovered.

Those who proclaim, loudly, sometimes drive the seekers away.
      Beware of fake Christians.

(unneeded grammar correction: "ARE THERE any real Christians...") I know Jesus doesn't do grammatical corrections... but those who try to promote him with a lot of mistakes may not gain converts.

2. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think I am a real Christian, I sin more than I should but I seek forgiveness! I do not push my views on Christianity onto anybody nor do I expect anyone to live a pious life because I am incapable of it. I do my Christian thing and I let others do theirs, am I wrong? Maybe.

1. profile image0
        mdawson17posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Texan I do not think you are wrong I think what we have done in society now days is acted that our walk with God is better than the next person when it is so much the contrary the bible says "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" So with your mindset you have stayed away from being judged and also you have found a way from being in the wordly mixed of judging each other!

1. blue dog profile image60
          blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you've obviously not read any of his hubs or his forum posts.

3. Lady_E profile image70
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I personally think no one can tell if if someone is a faithful Christian, simply because no one sees the heart of man or the skeletons in his cupboard.

I'm sure there are faithful christians but as the world gets crazier that number is reducing. I mean what do we say about Gay Pastors, leading a church - they probably consider themselves to be faithful christians and the church they are leading obviously see them in that light too.

Must stop here before I write 10 more paragraphs. lol. Interersting question though. smile

4. profile image0
      annvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I guess if everyone never did anything wrong, they wouldn't be human would they?  Everyone sins, christians too.

5. shamelabboush profile image52
      shamelabboushposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How do you know that they're (deceitful and evil)? Have you met them personally????? You can't say such a thing, accusing people of not having faith...

6. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am a true Christian I do not judge others for there doing because I to will be judged. I do not push my beliefs on others because that is not what Jesus would want me to do. I believe others are entitled to there own beliefs and all of us have fallen short of the Glory I do try my best to not be deceitful or evil and when I am I certainly apologize. I cannot and will not worry about what others believe because I have to worry about myself. Yes there are many artificial Christians I have ran into them myself but I just pray for them and ask God to have Mercy that they find the truth. smile

1. earnestshub profile image78
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do not believe in your god AEvans, as you know well, but as far as people go, I would be honored to be in your company. You and I may disagree about religion, but I will honor the honorable. You are a great asset to us all, with your kindness and decency on display for some 2 years now.... Hard to beat a track record like that. smile You give meaning to some of the better things you believe in, mainly.. "You will know them from their works" You are the best argument for Christianity I have seen here. smile

1. AEvans profile image71

You not believing is o.k. with me and I as well would be honored to be in your presence,thank you for the compliment and although we may disagree about religion I respect all about you as a human being and person, if others would just put down the sword and stop persecuting they just may become closer to there religion/religions without trying so hard, they should watch "The Passion Of The Christ" again and see how Jesus really did handle it, he certainly would have not handled it in the manner that I have seen and that comes right out of the old testament or "FireProof" even though that is for relationships the way that it is handled in that movie is similiar to how speaking to someone who does not believe in your God or religion should be handled, but as you know it is only my opinion and everyone will continue to scream and not embrace and I myself am prepared for another Christian to pound me for my opinion someone always does. **sigh*** sad

7. mealdates profile image61
      mealdatesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As a Christian, I try to give encouragement.

2. sexkitten profile image61
    sexkittenposted 14 years ago

I think your religion is sort of hypocritical if you ask me.  Not many of the Christians I meet seem all that happy.

1. Crawling Surface profile image61
      Crawling Surfaceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's the point in it's entirety little kitty. Suffer now so you don't have to suffer then. Also like 90% of all people that lay claim to being christian are anything but. They're catholic at best. And yes we're all hypocrites, including you and me.

2. profile image0
      Several Ninjasposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who are christians as well lol

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
          Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

More labels.

Jesus never asked his followers to be "christians".
          He never  even asked them to be "happy".
          What did he ask?
          Go read it.

1. Shaul Stein profile image61
            Shaul Steinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like this one.....

Then He called his disciples and the crowds to come over and listen. "If any of you wants to be My follower," He told them, "you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your execution stake, and follow Me."

Not very "seeker friendly" is it.

"If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for Me, you will find true life.
            And how do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul in the process? Is anything worth more than your soul?
            For I, the Son of Man, will come in the glory of my Father with his angels and will judge all people according to their deeds."

3. profile image0

You bring a very interesting point but how does that make them hypocritical? It seems like tto me maybe they just need to have a better understanding of God and his saving grace!

1. Daniel Carter profile image63
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

According to Christianity, we are all sinners, and therefore hypocrites. And that goes for humanity, not just for Christians. Everyone is a hypocrite to some degree or another. Those have time to look around and assess that others are weaker or less "devout" than them, are usually insecure themselves. One who is secure in himself understands his position in the unviverse (or with God if he/she is a believer) and has no need to stew over another's position.

4. profile image48
      CabinGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not many of the athiests I meet are happy either and yer knickers look as if they need a wash !!

3. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Full of them around here. Fake Christians !

4. Crawling Surface profile image61
    Crawling Surfaceposted 14 years ago

What defines a "real Christian" in your eyes. To me a real christian is someone who adheres to an Apostolic doctrine. i.e. they live by every teaching of the Apostles, as they walked with Christ. He's the rock, They're the foundation built on the rock, we in turn must build on them. Christ said, those that hear the words/teachings of these men (talking about the apostles), are likened unto a wise man who built his house on a rock. It all starts in the book of Acts Brotha. http://of-the-lord.blogspot.com
    This is a blog I started on the study of baptism

5. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

When I was young one of my favorite church songs was "We are one in the spirit" (aka "They'll know we are Christians").

To me, that song epitomizes what Jesus meant us to show each other. LOVE not JUDGMENT of each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qVEpjeb_TE

1. profile image0

Well said Mighty Mom

6. Shaul Stein profile image61
    Shaul Steinposted 14 years ago

It is interesting to me that the early believers were called Christians by the Romans because they were mocking them for acting so much like Messiah.

These believers did not announce it to them, they just lived it and were given the name in being mocked.

They did not wear it like a badge, they lived it with love.

It is in my opinion best to let another call you a Christian because they see you act like one.

Just a thought is all. big_smile

1. profile image0

I loved this and think that if many Christians would live to that belief they would be allot more happier! What you have said certainly opens one mind!

7. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

This really is a loaded question, eh? smile Just like "which ones of you are REAL Americans?" From my understanding, Christians are followers of the teachings of the individual called Jesus, the Christ.
    So, what denotes one follower as being 'real' and another not? In my estimation, Jesus himself would probably make a terrible Christian by the standards of most organized religions. I've a feeling if this alleged messiah returned, he'd be treated in much the same way by the religious groups as he was the first time around. Ironic, I suppose.
    I believe that he taught some wonderful truths, which were not exclusive to him (nor can they be obtained exclusively through his teachings). Included in these truths was the idea that each man/woman is a manifestation of god. This makes me quite suspicious of the idea that church clergy members hold some special link to the almighty that I cannot achieve on my own (maybe they have a red phone, like Batman and Commissioner Gordon?).
    I think I know what you're getting at, OP, all my rambling aside. There are a lot of "Christians" who are hateful, full of judgment and disdain, and who do not practice what they preach. I make my character assessments without consideration of a person's religious persuasion. If someone is nice (or a jerk) their claim of being one thing or another doesn't sway my opinion.

1. profile image0

You make some very good points in your thread and yes that is exactly what I am saying hatful Christians! I thought to proclaim to be a Christian you must be Christ Like and if so then was Christ not an image of Love and compassion? What happened to us??

1. RooBee profile image82
        RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought so, too. Probably why so many (self included) are turned off by religion in general. What happened to us?? Have "we" ever been in such a state of Christlike-ness? I am certainly no religious scholar, but it seems like humans have always been a rather nasty bunch if taken on the whole. I suppose I have no real answers here, but appreciate your thought-provoking threads - you have always been very civil in my experience, too. Niiiice! big_smile

2. TheLoanConsultant profile image60
      TheLoanConsultantposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very well said. This is what I'm always emphasizing to people who are seekers. Do not get too hung up on people's shortcomings, just do your own research. There are alot of oppressive Americans. Does that make them not American? The same applies to martial arts. If one person sucks at Jujitsu, this does not necessarily mean that Jujitsu could not work if applied properly by an expert practitioner. What many people are experiencing are merely encounters with baby Christians; that is all. If what the bible says about the universe and creation is true, do people really think that their observation of the behavior of some immature Christian will exempt them from having to apply the teachings of the bible to their own life, irrespective of what everybody else is doing? One should really give these issues some serious thought and consideration.

8. megs78 profile image62
    megs78posted 14 years ago

First of all, he who is without sin, cast the first stone...
    Anyone remember that? 

This should be something that we come back to again and again, because it reminds us that we are not perfect, cannot be perfect and will never be perfect no matter what you call yourself...christian, muslim, whatever.

All we can do is live our lives the way we know God would want us to.  Be a witness by living it.  No need for false covers or proclaiming your religion from mountain tops.  We will sin, it is impossible not to, but that doesn't change that we are children of God and that He loves us.

9. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

If people would mind their own business instead of taking everybody else's inventory, that would be a step in the right direction.

I don't know if there are 'real' Christians left or not--I mean, if there are some 'left' then that implies there were some 'real Christians' to start with--and I don't know if that's true either.

Why the question at all? Why not just live your own life according to your own faith and leave other people to theirs?

10. WeddingConsultant profile image63
    WeddingConsultantposted 14 years ago

I'd like to enter my two cents worth into the discussion:

I think everyone (inclusive of myself too) needs to come to the realization that no Christians completely practice what they preach. Roobee you mentioned that many don't practice what they preach- I'd argue that none do...at least not fully.

Part of the problem IMO, is that we assume those who are Christians are supposed to be perfect, full of joy, happy. Well, as we can all probably testify, this isn't the case.

1. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a really good point.

Another part of the problem though, is that evangelicals seem to be always taking each other's spiritual temperatures when I would think they'd have some poor people and sick people to clothe and feed and whatnot.

Also, it's easier to practice what one preaches if one isn't constantly preaching.

Whatever happened to the contemplative side of life?

How about a little more prayer and introspection and a little less pontification and blah, blah, blah? (I don't mean you personally!)

The preaching is what gets on everybody's nerves around here. I wish this new brand of American Christians would spend more time walking the walk, and less time talking the talk. smile

1. WeddingConsultant profile image63
        WeddingConsultantposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A very valid point. Kinda reminds me of the golden internet marketing rule: don't be spammy. Who likes an ALL CAPS SPAMMER that shouts at you what you have to have and must buy today? Many Christians take that approach and end up offending, annoying and pushing others away.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

2 cents?  Hell, I'd pay a nickel for that. smile

11. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

hands up i am a christian honest i am

12. Shaul Stein profile image61
    Shaul Steinposted 14 years ago

I am so glad God.....is NOT.....a "religion" big_smile

God is God

Religion is.....?????......whatever men make it to be!!!

1. rebekahELLE profile image83
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Shaul, God is not a religion, God is not Christian or Buddha or Catholic or any man conceived religion~~

He simply IS whether we acknowledge a supreme power or not.

Most of the people who profess to be a Christian are some of the most judgmental, angry, conceited people I have met. Many religions seems to take away a person's ability to think on their own.

Whatever is happening on the inside comes out in our lives.
      Christians are called 'Christians' because in the early church they used to run around saying they have 'Christ inside'...
      hmmmm.... someone said here that Jesus the man would probably not be accepted in most Christian groups today, I agree.

13. Sanctus Vesania profile image59
    Sanctus Vesaniaposted 14 years ago

To put in my two cents; it of course depends on what you consider a real Christian to be.  There are certain traits of false Christians that give away their fruit.

- If they preach a message of absolute hate (Kill queers for Jeebus!  God Hates Everyone!) then they are not a true Christian

- If they preach a message of fluffy, stupid, sickening sweet love (God loves everyone so sin all you want!  <3) then they are not a true Christian.

- If they preach against something, then are caught doing what it is they preach against (Oops, I didn't mean to sleep with those hookers.) and refuse to repent, they are not a true Christian

- If they preach that you can not know if you are saved, then they are not a true Christian.

- If they preach that salvation ultimately lies with you, and not God and Jesus, then they are not a true Christian.

Unfortunately finding anyone who fits that criteria (amongst others) is difficult.

1. TheLoanConsultant profile image60
      TheLoanConsultantposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeap. And so there you have it folks. Good night

14. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

How many Christians are there today? ... depends on the definition you go by. TO BE A CHILD OF GOD is a different story. How many definitions or how many conditions does your son or daughter have to be in compliance with before they can say that they are your child. How poorly do they have to behave before you remove their name from the family tree? To live life according to mans definitions of Child of God is impossible. Maybe Satan actually wrote mans definitions, I don't know but I have my suspensions

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Man wrote all this definitions, I think. Very poorly written !

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Definitions are kinda like a hair in my soup. One may be OK since it is probably mine. Too many  in my soup is a bad thing. The kitchen will get a BAD rap

15. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

Sorry, I got held up in traffic. You wanted to talk to a real Christian? Whats up.

I would love to stay and talk to a real Christian, but I get to have BBQ brisket at my sons house and play with his bicycle motors.

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wait I was just about to get all religious up in the hizouse!

16. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

I try to stay the course as a true Christian. I would not call myself a "true Christian" however, because if I don't behave accordingly, I'll misrepresent my faith to others. Also, to call myself a "true Christian" suggests that I believe the converse is true, that people who believe differently are all "false Christians." I won't presume to know what goes on between each person and God.

Generally, I feel that the closest people we have to true Christians teach truth, reach out, and don't flaunt their status (real or imagined) as "true Christians."

It seems a moot point really, as all people who call themselves christians believe they are true christians. smile

2. Shaul Stein profile image61
      Shaul Steinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is interesting to me that the early believers were called Christians by the Romans because they were mocking them for acting so much like Messiah.

These believers did not announce it to them, they just lived it and were given the name in being mocked.

They did not wear it like a badge, they lived it with love.

It is in my opinion best to let another call you a Christian because they see you act like one.

Just a thought is all.

I do not think that ...the first century followers of Christ ever called themselves a Christian. ...They would not have worn that badge even if someone else put it on them. ...They did not want to be branded as such. ...They called themselves, children of God, and followere of Christ. And that is how they behaved. They realy did not care what anyone else called them. They just wanted to be called .BY. God.

17. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

What is a real Christian?
    Who determines who is a real Christian?
    Are there others who are 'better' than real Christians?

All fair questions, I might leave to someone who is a believer. smile

2. AEvans profile image71

1.I believe I am a true Christian , I do not condemn but embrace, I do not judge unless I expect judgement, I love thy neighbor as thy self.

2. The determination of who is real is by how you act walk and behave as a Christian only God knows who is putting on the Ritz and who is not.

3. Because a person who does not believe in the same thing that I do does not make them imperfect, they have there beliefs and I have mine. There are many who do the right thing by giving, not condemning are accepting and are not believers of God. I don't consider them better I consider them equal to a true Christian they only thing different is they do not believe. It is only my opinion. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)