Does Obama deserves Nobel prize

Jump to Last Post 51-66 of 66 discussions (309 posts)
  1. tksensei profile image59
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

It seems that largely the only people who think he 'deserved' this award are those who were of the 'swoon when he blows his nose' group of unconditional supporters in the first place.

1. Paraglider profile image89
      Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

which is your charming way of insulting all who disagree with you. Par for the course, and drop-dead boring.

tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not at all. It was an observation based in large part on the fact that a lot of democrats and 'non-swooning' type Obama supporters have expressed misgivings about granting such an award to him at this point.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

The Nobel Peace prize, much like soccer, is a big deal around the world and a yawn inducer in the U.S.

I do however think that every president from here on out who is not named Bush should get a thank you reward of some type.

P.S.  GO COLTS

Oh no, it was - until just now - seen as a very prestigious award here.

Now of course it has been reduced to a meaningless joke (much like soccer).

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So you were all for awarding it to Yasser Arafat?

Oh it's been on a downward spiral for a while now, but this is the last swish as the toilet bowl empties.

Were YOU all for awarding it to Arafat?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
            Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Make up your mind.  tksensei of 20 minutes ago is having a wonderful argument with tksensei of 30 seconds ago.

Not at all, but feel free to ignore them both if like.

2. LiamBean profile image79
        LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Too bad you take all your talking points from the likes of Limbaugh, Beck, and Malkin. It must be gratifying, however, to consider yourself the member of a club of depressing angry people.

Why would you say something like that? What does that kind of silly assumption/personal attack add to a conversation? You can do better.

1. LiamBean profile image79

It's not a silly attack. You've parroted precisely what Malkin and Beck said about the prize. "It's a joke."

Would you like to see some quotes from those two "esteemed" individuals? I can supply them.

Glenn Beck: "[Barak Obama] has to turn it down -- because it is such a joke -- that he'll turn it down and it's the only way for him make a win out of this. Only his arrogance will stop him from doing it."

Michelle Malkin: " "The World Apology Tour yields dividends." e.g. it's a joke.

She went on to say "If Obama had an ounce of real humility, he’d refuse to accept the award." and "...Obama acknowledges he doesn’t deserve the award, but he will accept it anyway. He’s “deeply humbled.” But not really."

1. Friendlyword profile image60
              Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sidestepping someones statement by pointing out spelling errors are petty personal attacks. Surely that's not worthy of a man. Address the issues before you without sidestepping them.

A) There was no spelling correction in the quote you seem to be responding to.

B) It's "not worthy of a man" to correct spelling mistakes? You've got a unique understanding of gender roles.

C) LOL @ the "you're not a man!" gambit in general!

2. tksensei profile image59

Gee, ya don't think that maybe that is a pretty common expression? roll

If YOU are obsessed enough with all those people to quote them verbatim off the top of your head that is YOUR issue. My words are my own and I'll thank you for not making accusations to the contrary.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image61

Early tk: Prestigious prize was awarded to the likes of Yasser Arafat.

Middle tk: Prize was prestigious until awarded to Obama.

Latest tk: Prize was spiraling down a toilet already, this incident was final swish.

Future tk?: Arafat was a positive force for Mideast peace until being awarded the Nobel prize, then he became a terrorist.

The hits just keep on coming.

If it's too difficult for you to follow just go back to posting 'funny' pictures. And I'll thank you for NOT attempting to attribute comments to me that I did not actually make.

4. Ron Montgomery profile image61

http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-20041087.jpg?size=67&uid=523BCCE6-0AF1-498C-9635-A24AF6BA53D7

Soitenly!

5. Francis911 profile image59
    Francis911posted 14 years ago

Yes. very good
    No more wars.

6. LiamBean profile image79
    LiamBeanposted 14 years ago

Apparently tksensei sees any statement of the truth directed toward him/her as a personal attack.

Oh? The 'truth'? The TRUTH?

7. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

I think the whole issue of the Peace Prize is something a lot of people are missing. They didn't give Obama the prize because of what he did or didn't do for American automobile industry. Obama changed the way the rest of the world thinks of America and will be looking to America for leadership (for a change) because they have some trust in our president. That seems to me like it would be good for America.

According to Limbaugh, Drudge, and Beck the only thing good for America is to defeat Obama at any cost.

Even at a cost of billions of dollars to Detroit. You see, they all rejoiced when that city was eliminated as a candidate city for the Olympic games.

Beck said: "Oh, it's so sweet" that Chicago's bid failed; "savor this moment." Beck went on to imply that Detroit would be a good city because it has been so well managed by the Mafia.

Limbaugh: For those "upset that I sound gleeful -- I am. I don't deny it. I'm happy."

Matt Drudge: "The ego has landed. World rejects Obama: Chicago out in first round."

Yeah, now our enemies think of us as weak and our 'allies' think they are dealing with an inexperienced narcissist they can easily manipulate by patting him on the head and telling him they really, really like him.

horaaaay...

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can just see Obama with the Nobel when he accepts it on the behalf of all Americans.

"You like us, you really like us!"

You have an active imagination. You should do something constructive with it though.

Soon I'm sure.

We are a great country. It's just a shame that people who should clearly be taking anti-depressants have so much air-time. There is a silver lining to this though. Even the Republican Party is trying to distance itself from these people. They are now seen as a liability.

You called it a joke and so did Glenn Beck and Michelle Malkin. Deal with it.

It wasn't off the top of my head. I looked it up. An accusation is based on assumption. You, sir or madam, used the exact same phrase as Malkin and Beck.

And no I don't hear "it's a joke" all the time. Though the responses from the wing-nut rabble certainly qualifies...as a joke that is.

That is highly disingenuous.

3. Flightkeeper profile image66

I think anyone after Bush would have made the rest of the world think differently about America. Eight years of one person as president seems to be all that people can stand.

1. Tackle This profile image61
        Tackle Thisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just to play devil's advocate, for a moment though, I've asked that people on the "left" to ask themselves the following question or two. *How many things could you hide between 3 weeks and 14, fourteen, months?  I just created a new shirt which begs the same question and goes on to say, "I've got your weapon of mass destruction, where would you like it?"

I also created another shirt that says: U.N. = Paper Watchdog, IAEA = The Paper Watchdog's Paper Kitty, the AP = The Paper Kitty's news source.

Furthermore, if some on the left had their way, Israel would be residing on dingies directly to their West in search of potable drinking water and that is really f'ing messed up.

I lean left and certainly don't feel that way. I lived in Israel for a while, a short while, but long enough to talk to a large number of people both Israeli and Palestinian.

Neither have a real strong historical claim to the land. Both have been living there before recorded history. There simply needs to be a way for both groups to first, recognize that they are closely related to one another and second, try go act like it.

1. jiberish profile image78
              jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you could take a minute to educate yourself on Israel:

http://hubpages.com/hub/History-of-Israel

Hey Jib, did you hear that Obama won the Miss Universe title because of his cause: world peace!

1. jiberish profile image78
                  jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He did? I'm sure his knowledge of the number of state we have also helped win his title.  What are we at now 57 states?  I guess I'm still flying the Old flag, shame on me. smile

Well the number of states was news to everyone but he bowed to the judges and all was forgiven.

2. Tackle This profile image61

Look at Ms. Fkightkeeper, tryin to keep the peace ...good for you; things can get a little heavy sometimes, but I do want people to think about my question(s) for a moment. Then enjoy a good glass of red wine. :-)

3. profile image0
                  SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Check out Obama before he became President. <snipped - no Hub promotion in the Forums>

2. Tackle This profile image61

I know you well enough to know that you don't have to preface everything that you go on to say...I am referring to a blog, excuse me hub, by CJ Stone that suggests that it is somehow okay for Palestinians to launch their occasional rockets at Jewish folk because they are inferior and are not "smart" in terms of accuracy...CJ Stone is an idiot.  The Middle East has a lot of territory and even more when you add in portions of Africa and Asia -- my God Israel deserves a sliver.

Rockets into Israel is certain to keep a state of hostility. So of course I don't agree with this. I was there when things were relatively peaceful. I met many Israeli and Palestinians. Mostly high-school and college students. They were all for getting along and working together.

I doubt they feel quite that way anymore. All it takes is one death on either side.

And this is the real shame. It only takes one from either side with a grudge to get everyone ready to fight.

It would be better certainly, but that's not going to happen. The real problem is you have a very small number of people with access to radio and television time raising absolute hell about it.

If those who felt he deserved the award or just those who want to express hope that he earns it had as much air-time it wouldn't seem so lopsided.

Maybe the person who wrote the hub should educate themselves about that region. Both peoples have lived there since before written history. That has been proved both archeologically and genetically.

That the Jews took the time to write their history and keep it true does not make this any less so. Check your bible too. The genesis of the "Arab" is in there. Abraham is the father of both 'tribes.' Sarah the mother of the Jews; Hagar the mother of the children of "Ishmael" e.g. the Arabic people.

1. profile image0
                  SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

<snipped - no Hub promotion in the Forums>

3. tksensei profile image59

That would include both sides recognizing the other's right to exist?

8. LiamBean profile image79

These people aren't the patriots they claim to be. Their sole and only aim is take down Obama.

Even if that means taking down the rest of the country in the effort.

Talk about treason!

1. Paraglider profile image89
      Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Never a truer word. There are sick people making a lot of noise in what was, and can again be, a fine country. But they (the sick people) might just prevent the US ever again being taken seriously by the rest of the world. And that would be a great shame.

9. Tackle This profile image61
    Tackle Thisposted 14 years ago

I believe Obama would have further deserved the award had he immediately seized the once opportunity to denounce what happened to the young honor student in Chicago.

Having said that, I still think Rush and even Glenn; more so Rush can sound pretty stupid when they get to rambling.

I like Beck more than Rush generally speaking but Rush paved the road and I DO still believe that if either of them were forcibly removed from their respective stations, we would be well on the way to having eradicated "free speech" in America...and that would be wrong.

10. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I'm sick of seeing this thread come up, I wish they would shut it down.

11. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

I can't believe this thread keeps going. I will say that I am kind of proud of everyone. It hasn't been closed to reply yet. wink

Yes the thread deserves a nobel peace prize for aspirationally trying to save the peace without really accomplishing anything towards it.

My reply was thoughtful, even provocative...

It was. You are one of the few right-leaners here who actually express original thought and careful consideration. The same holds true for sneakorocksolid.

So though I don't always agree with the both of you, you do have my respect. For whatever that's worth.

As to the others...

Thank you very much, I kind of like you guys too...But, I do hope that we don't go down that slippery road of pulling some from the airwaves and leaving others.  If you don't like what any given politician/entertainer has to say, we can thank God for the remote control...which quite frankly is what scares me about those who truly claim to be "champions of individual rights"...the ACLU tried to nix Gibson's Passion when no one was holding a gun to their "head" and saying "you" must watch this film.

I know, that you thankfully of all hubbers :-)  Would not call for our current government to pull people from the "airwaves" unless they become truly evil and wish people dead.  Even then, I would walk hand-in-hand with you to bring them to justice.

*****By the way, you can check out my new site at www.whatsyourbeefamerica.com  A NOVEL idea...I've even established a petition there so that we can thank Obama for his stance on offshore hiring but I hope some of his other policies don't force all corporations to leave -- even though half of them should receive a spanking for working people like dogs while they arrest tee times 5 times a week; which, is plain WRONG.

*Having said that, there is no easy "answer" as many Unions need a spanking too.

I firmly believe in the right to free speech. My biggest beef with this bunch is they just don't seem to care about collateral damage when it comes to taking down Obama.

Our presidents have always been fair game to the media.  That is as it should be. That's one of the things that make us distinctly American. And yes, great!

It does bother me, though, when a group of people start claiming the prize is a joke (considering past winners) or express delight in losing billions of dollars in foreign revenue to one of our oldest historic cities. Even going so far as claiming that it might be a good venue because the "mob" is so good at organizing things.

Which brings us back to the word "disingenuous." Is it disingenuous to be so dead-set on taking out the president that anyone in the way is inconsequential?

I believe that is disingenuous.

1. profile image0
                A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The right is using the same tactics the left has used for years and somehow its wrong now? Please!

Someone should certainly stop. It doesn't look like it's going to be the right though.

Of course one of these talking-heads will go too far and then the court of public opinion will want nothing more to do with them.

I don't want to see that happen. Both sides need a voice.

1. profile image0
                    A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What is too far? Is lying about a sitting Presidents military history going too far? These "talking heads" are doing nothing but offering opinion, Limbaugh is not a traitor for saying he want's Obama's socialist agenda to fail.

You want all this to stop, then standup to those who are selling us out, yes, Obama is one of them!

Chicago is hardly one of our oldest cities.

12. Doc Snow profile image89
    Doc Snowposted 14 years ago

It's amazing to me how personalized the attacks on the president are.  The truth, IMO, is that Rush and company don't really care who he is.  They're just seeking out fodder for their brand of cheap-shot "gotcha" politics.  Or should I say, "cheap-shot gotcha entertainment?"

I completely agree. It wouldn't matter who was in office as long as it was a Democrat. They will attack anyone who is not from the right.

You are doing my thinking for me now? I am far more noble and have a great deal more poise and dignity than you are capable of recognizing...obviously. That or you just need a dictionary.

Are you saying that only YOU are allowed to think for others? Maybe we could both stop that. What do you think?

2. Flightkeeper profile image66

Well it's equally amazing that some people do regard it as attacks and are taking it so personally especially since Obama doesn't know most of us from Adam.

Cheering when Obama's efforts to bring billions of dollars to Chicago fail is not personal? I'm pretty darned sure it was personal to people of Chicago. Hammering the president for taking his wife to dinner isn't personal?

Maybe you need a dictionary too.

There were a lot of folks in Chicago who did NOT want the games there, and they have become a financial burden for the host country, not a boon.

Oh, and stop telling people they need a dictionary.

13. LiamBean profile image79

We already know, from Forbes magazine, that Glenn Beck makes twenty-three million dollars a year. One million from Fox. One million from his radio program. These are salaries. Five million from sales and adlinks on his Internet site and the rest from book sales.

Did you know that Rush Limbaugh has made four hundred million ($400,000,000) in the last eight years? This is just his talk show contract. That's fifty million a year to talk. He makes even more, as of now unknown, for speaking engagements and his web-site. This also from Forbes magazine.

I can't find any information on Malkin, but when I do I'll post it somewhere. It wouldn't surprise me though if she turns out to be a multi-millionaire too.

All of this should bring a question to mind. Are these people really sincere or is it just that they know they can become quite rich stirring up trouble?

14. love my yorkies profile image61
    love my yorkiesposted 14 years ago

I don't think he's done anything to deserve the Nobel prize.

Finally! Someone who remembers the topic.

2. Flightkeeper profile image66

Don't say that out loud, it's been known to tick people off and declare you unpatriotic and all manner of vermin under the sun.

1. love my yorkies profile image61
        love my yorkiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's my opinion and I'm stickin to it!

I do believe you are confused. Anyone who thinks he deserves the prize has been declared unpatriotic. Maybe you should get out more.

15. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years ago

Awarding nobel prize to an American President itself is a great thing for Americans. The good hearted Americans elected him as their president, inspite of him being a blackman. But I wonder why some Americans are worried about his eligibility for that prize? Will it not look nice if all Americans congratulate him for it?

16. Lori J Mitchell profile image58
    Lori J Mitchellposted 14 years ago

Well by winning this award he did bring the world together because pretty much everybody except Russian, Iran and Cuba think it's a joke.

1. tantrum profile image62
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

2. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
      VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Opponents' criticism is not accountable when a good thing is going on. Let them get a prize for their criticism.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)