Secret Service having hard time protecting Obama

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (98 posts)
  1. TimTurner profile image68
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

According to a new report, threats against Obama are up 400% more than threats against Bush while the Secret Service staff has increased by only 5%:  http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts950

Apparently, the secret service also goes after financial crimes (which I didn't know) but might have to pull personnel from the financial sector to the president.

Why does the secret service go after financial crimes?

The article says that technology could be to blame for the extra personnel to cover threats because of the accessibility of the internet to conspire against the president.

1. Pr0metheus profile image58
      Pr0metheusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's because right wing nuts are more prone to violence than left wing nuts.  (I'm gonna laugh when someone posts a heated response to this post.)

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its because right wing nuts are better shots!

2. TimTurner profile image68
        TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Left wing don't have the guns.  They voted against them smile

3. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That sums it up well, I see a well adjusted level headed smart president, they see the anti-christ! lol

1. profile image0

No, we see somebody who has tripled the debt, but you're not American so you don't care about our debt. If you like him so much let him run your Country into the ground.

1. profile image0
            sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We'll trade you for an opal mine!

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
              Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Think China might have beat ya there sneak lol

1. profile image0

Ah crap! I always miss out!smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Texan you have no idea what I care about? and to assume I dont care about America because I wasnt born here ? gimme a break ,sometimes I wonder if you have any idea how you sound?

3. earnestshub profile image80

Australians are generally more aware of world politics than you may know, living in the shadow of the all powerful USD we are as aware of what goes on in America as most Americans are.
              We are affected by America's economy like you are, and so are hundreds of countries because of the size of your economy, the legal controls that you impose on us, and the solid threats of economic consequences if we do not toe the line. smile
              As for the debt, he did not cause the American economy to collapse. smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74

You tell 'em Earnest , and hopefully the dayshift will scroll back wink that function works when they want it do lol

1. profile image0

Allright you two! SHARK!!!!

1. earnestshub profile image80

Where? where???

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Be carefeul Earnest youre not American wink

4. profile image52
        Sashey8posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know that right wing nuts( as you call it) were more violent than left wing nuts. Boy you learn something new every day on the internet lol

2. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would like to know how they have came about deciding what percentage they are concluding. I do have to say that the media is getting a little carried away. Have we forgtten that Bush got us into this mess to begin with? He certainly is not a Saint! Our military is still coming home in body bags because he wanted to complete what his father did not finish. Do we remember 09/11 the attacks? What was his happy but doing? Reading books to children and ignoring the cries of help from his own military how many died? I had friends who died in the attacks of 09/11. So now expect OBAMA to clean up a huge mess that was left behind in a matter of months. We hold him accountable for actions made by a Republican? Of course we are going to be threatened look at what the media is doing? They are demons themselves and also expect him to make our Country perfect which took 8 years to do? It is going to take years to fix our economy and even once the Obama presidency is over someone unfortunate soul is still going to have to clean up Bush's crap!
      I am not a staunch Republican nor Democrat but I certainly do believe in respecting who is in office and monitoring what they are doing without crying wolf everything takes time to fix and this mess that our Country is in will NOT happen overnite. smile

Are you sure you are not a mole? lololo big_smile

1. profile image0

Whining about Bush (though typical)is not going to end the War. Even though you seem to forget Bush is not the President and the current incompetent is capable of ending war right now, so who is at fault?

Did you just admit that Bush was incompetent?

1. profile image0

Yes many times, are you new here?

Relatively... never thought I'd see you admit that, though.

2. AEvans profile image71

Who is whining I clearly made a statement funny how the buck is always passed. There is a lot more to IRAQ then pulling the troops out all at one time. We know it takes planning do we not? We also know that pulling our military out of IRAQ could also lead to attacks upon our own soil. I certainly have not forgotten that Bush is no longer President that response certainly does not make any sense. I agree that both are incompetent but what did the former incompetent do to get us in to such a big mess to begin with? Are you now defending the worse President in history? Cleaning up one hell of a mess is certainly not going to happen in a year, how would you handle it if you were President? smile

1. profile image0

I would never defend the worst President in History, thats why Jimmy Carter has people like you! If I were President I would bomb Baghdad relentlessly until every building was destroyed! I do not care about collateral damage I care about winning and setting an example for the rest of the middle east! Good thing I'm not President, huh?

Oh yeah right after I bombed the shit out them I would put up a sign that said "Gas station number 1"

1. AEvans profile image71

You are funny!!! I never said I was a Democrat nor a Republican and I was a little girl when Jimmy was President but do you believe by bombing Baghdad and taking thousands of more lives would really change anything? What about the innocent? Women and small children? If you were President we would all be in trouble. lolololo big_smile

1. profile image0

I know you never said you were a Democrat, just took a guess. I don't care about Iraqi women and children, Sorry bout their luck. The allies did not care about German women and children they fought to win, thats the last time we have had a clear victory by the way!

1. AEvans profile image71

You know you are absolutely correct on that one and Hitler spared no mercy which is quite disheartening all of those lives lost that was quite sad. sad

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
            Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I only disagree with who the worst president was (U.S. Grant)

He was a great soldier and a terrible statesman.

2. profile image52
        gradykposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree bush made a mess, but obama has made a bigger mess of his own. And more important is the fact that he doesnt care what the American people (The Majority) want. He doesnt give a damn what the constitution says either. And throwing good money after bad isnt a solution, its stupidity. And what about forcing people to buy insurance ( unless youre a muslim). Im a Christian and I dont believe in insurance either, I dont go to the doctor. Ive been healed by God, I dont want or need insurance, thats my right as an American citizen. At least that use to be my right. Now it seems as though we only have rights if were muslim or some other minority group.Were all suppose to have the same rights. But not under this president.

3. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hope the idiots mind their manners and the secret service is up to their job! 

The local cops say they tend to have a hard time doing their duty, like when they heard gun-fire during at Christmas party at Cheney's.  The secret service stood around trying to figure out what to do while the local cops had to go out and ask the neighbors not to hunt skunk with the vice president so close.

4. ledefensetech profile image67
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The secret service is part of the Treasury Department.  They tend to go after counterfeiters.

1. profile image0

And they could open the borders that would make alot easier to protect the president.

1. ledefensetech profile image67

People don't hate us because we have open borders, they hate us because we interfere in events around the world.  Grow up.

1. profile image0

You know I just finished a ban for a personal attack because a little man insulted me and I offered him a dose of his own medicine and he turned me in. I'm not a tattle-tale I wouldn't do that but you need to check yourself.

I am suggesting we mind our own buisness and limit ourselves to taking care of America. That does sound juvinile doesn't it?

Sure, but you don't take care of America, by cutting us off from our strength.  We imported all sorts of radicals after the failed revolutions of 1848 and their nonsense didn't destroy us.  Neither did their bombs.  Look up the Haymarket incident.  We only started to become a problem for the world when we started riding into town and telling everyone how to live.  Stop that and you stop the attacks.  How many people perpetrate attacks against the Swiss, or the Austrians?  Why aren't those nations attacked?  They're just as Western as Europe and the US, so why don't they get attacked?

1. profile image0

No forgien bases, they take care of themselves and I'll bet their contributions to the world charities is a speck of what we give. I'm not suggesting we don't trade, just trade fairly, Since when is it our job to protect a bunch of ungrateful, disreapectful and concieted europeans. Oh yea, and all our friends to the south treat us with alot of respect too! They need us worse than we need them it's time to use that to our advantage, you know like China!

I'm not in disagreement with most of that.  I happen to be related to some of those Southerners you speak of and they're still disgruntled over the land grab we call the Mexican-American War.  The treaty of Guadalupe took half of what was then Mexico. 

Personally speaking, some members of my mother's family were run out of Texas during the independence movement.  Many Mexicans fought with the Texans, but were run out in the end. 

So yeah, there might be a little something to being treated with disdain by out southern neighbors.

If we're in trouble with the Chinese it's because we've become fat, stupid and lazy under the reign of the Progressives.  The first step it getting rid of the lot of them and returning us to the ideals of the Republic.

5. justinvestal profile image56
      justinvestalposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Secret Service was started to combat counterfitters.

1. profile image0

Are they good at it?

Not really, their bosses are some of the biggest counterfeiters out there.

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Nuts are nuts - right or left.

Sorry to disappoint you, Pro. I don't have the energy right now for a heated response. LOL!!

Actually you might have a point. Right wing nuts are probably more likely to be heavily armed! They believe in the 2nd amendment, while many lefties don't.

1. Lady_E profile image61
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree with you. smile

3. Pr0metheus profile image58
    Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

Habee  - That's why (although left) I could never be a left wing nut... I love my guns!

1. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hear hear. I love the loud pop or bang and the bright blue flame leaping out of the barrel.

I love em loaded, unloaded, cap, bb, however.  Hell I can have hours of fun loading a clip into a pistol and dropping it out.  Still nothin like firing an assault rifle though.

(I hope you're not talkin about me sneako... I never reported you.

1. profile image0

A clip? I guess you mean a magazine? Rookies!

So you're gonna be that guy, huh?

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
          Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

An empty magazine, I hope.

Course...

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68

cool  don't need any more dufuses giving gun owners a bad rap smile

1. profile image0

"He died while cleaning his gun" Right!

2. tksensei profile image59
            tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Like Newsweek?

Time

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image68

big_smile

3. profile image0

No it wasn't you, I think you can take what you dish out, you're definately a man.

Now that's something I never thought you would call me, haha.

1. profile image0

I don't know what came over me! It must be those happy pills the Doc gave me!

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Tim and Tex, I see we were thinking the same thing at the same time!

We all are, that was the joke tongue

5. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Good for you, Pro!

6. TimTurner profile image68
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

Hahaha  We all had fun with that one.

I wonder if there is someone in the Secret Service reading HubPages forums?

Think about all the forums out there.  They have to try to cover or scan as many as they can to find the smallest info on threats to Obama and terrorism, right?

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

They probly have some massive search spider that constantly hunts down threats, and alerts them.

7. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

But to clarify, there have been more violent left wing terrorists than right wing.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But who is Obama in more danger from at the moment?

1. profile image0

It ain't Fox news but he sure fears them!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
          Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but some on Fox like to rile people up smile

The article specifically points out the fact that Obama is Black is the reason why his threats are up 400%.

Skinheads and crazies in the sticks.

They have their own party and wing.

2. Pr0metheus profile image58

According to.....

1. profile image0

History! Google list of both and see what you get.

Don't have the time right now... there's no Rasmussen report polls that back that claim? tongue

8. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I did not vote for Obama, but I do have empathy for him. I can't imagine what his daily life must be like. I really don't understand why anyone would want the job as POTUS.

9. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Should something happen to BO, I think the country would suffer a meltdown, especially if it were racially motivated. I vote they give him more secret service folks!

10. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I hate it when my husband watches Glenn Beck! He always gets so worked up. If I watch FOX, I prefer watching Mike Huckabee's show. He's calm, funny, and respectful of his guests.

1. profile image0

Most of them if not all are respectful to their guests. Orilley just never shuts up!

I prefer Family Guy on FOX smile

House M.D. 4 me big_smile

11. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Worst president in history? I thought that was Jimmah Cahta.

1. profile image0

It is!

1. tksensei profile image59
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But we seem to have a real contender in the race now!

12. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

NCIS -- They're FBI but I'm sure would cover POTUS in a heartbeat if needed big_smile

1. profile image0
  13. Pr0metheus profile image58

According to Rasmussen?

http://hnn.us/articles/48916.html

14. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I don't understand the thinnking on Afghanistan. Obama said it's war we MUST win. If that's the case, why are we dribbling in troops and fire? Go in, get the job done, and get out. Or either leave it alone. This is going to turn into another Viet Nham.

15. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

It's not just the domestic crazies, now we have to worry about al qaeda crazies. And also the muslim crazies who think he's an apostate.

16. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Back to the presidents: In the feb. 2009 USA/Gallup poll, guess which president was voted as the greatest of all time?

Reagan! He beat Kennedy, Lincoln, and all the rest. I was surprised.

1. TimTurner profile image68

He was a good president for sure!

2. profile image0

I'm not

17. sooner than later profile image61
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

I wonder how long it will take before there are attempts.

Right wing, left wing I don't think he should get waxed.

18. Pr0metheus profile image58

I guess the question to them is: Do you really want Joe Biden to take over?

1. profile image0

There is no one in that line of succession I want to see as President!

You're one of them!  I'm telling!

19. Lori J Mitchell profile image57
    Lori J Mitchellposted 14 years ago

Just my guess but I'm thinking it's because in the future Obama will go down in history as one of the worst presidents ever.  People are angry because he's hurting them on a personal level and his policies are horrible.  He is taking food out of their children's mouths with his ridiculous programs.  Or it could be because they are getting sick and tired of being called racists because they don't agree with his policies and as we see with children, if you are called something often enough you start to believe it.  Or maybe just if you're being accused of something you decide "what the heck, you might as well do it".  Or it could be because we have never had a president that hates the US as much as this anti-American president and patriotism comes out in a lot of people and they want to protect their country at all costs.  Or it could be a combination of all of the above.

1. profile image0

Hear!Hear! Will you marry me!smile

1. Lori J Mitchell profile image57
        Lori J Mitchellposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL...I was expecting a total attack, I actually got somebody who agrees me with?

1. profile image0

Well you made perfect sense to me! Oh believe me they'll find you soon enough. If they get obnoxious turn them in thats they're favorite trick to silence opposition. I will see you around!

20. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

It's funny, seems to me that I see conservatives screaming that they are being accused of being racist more often than I actually hear people say that they are racists because they disagree with the president.  As I have said before, someone calling you a racist is not going to make you a racist.

As an outsider, I don't see that Obama is anti-American at all.

21. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 14 years ago

For someone to say Obama hates America....how can you say that? I mean...how can you even say that?
    Funny...people used to say that about me when I disagreed with Bush. Remember that? Un-American...aiding and abetting the enemy....traitor!..... All those things were said about people who disagreed with Bush. And now look at you! You can say Obama hates America, question the war, question everything about him, and suddenly--it's patriotic!
    What hypocracy. And btw...you on the right are guilty too. Try questioning Israel and what do you get called? That's right....an anti-Semite. So, that labeling thing  works both ways.
    But, I'll tell you plain and simple...a lot of people ARE racist!
    Because, there were no tea-parties when Bush was doing his damage...
    Just the opposite...like I said, it was un-American to question Bush.
    So-how do you explain the switch?

1. profile image0

It wasn't unAmerican to question Bush, but I think the questions being asked were undermining policies designed to aid our military. Why would anyone want to do that? Oh yeah, the left hates the military, I almost forgot!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)