One of my big pet peeves...people who DON'T take the stairs

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (26 posts)
  1. TimTurner profile image69
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

If you only need to go up one or two floors, TAKE THE STAIRS!

If you weight 250 pounds and you take the elevator one flight of stairs, there is a reason why you weigh 250 pounds.

If you are not limping or in a wheelchair, take the stairs!

I live on the 10th floor of a 17-story dorm and it irritates me when people on the 1st and 2nd floor take the elevator.  It's no wonder why Americans are so obese when you have young people doing this.

Sorry, just irritates the crap out of me.  It gets to the point where people in the elevator cough "stairs, stairs" when the lazy people start walking off the elevator.

I have friends on the 14th floor and I take the stairs to go to their rooms which is 4 floors.  It's not that hard people!

1. sooner than later profile image60
      sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

gotta let those girls get the freshmen 15.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I can't take the stairs...I can't walk up stairs at all.

But, it does bother me when I see healthy young people take the elevator to go one floor. I used to live on the second floor and before my mobility problems got worse I used to always take the stairs.

TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Of course your situation is understandable.

But, yeah, these young people nowadays...its bad when I say that and I'm one of them  lol

3. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

How about people who fight over parking spaces so they won't have to take those 10 extra steps to the Walmart Front Door!!! Or the ones inside fighting over the scooter shopping cart thing!!!

Haha  Yeah, it's irritating!

4. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

lol I am the one who takes teh stairs whenever I can...I hate elevators and sort of have a fear of them.

And Scott that irritates me too but it's funny to watch them fight. I park in the first available parking spot even if that is far from the door. I LOVE to walk. Can't sit still lol

5. BL Tween profile image59
    BL Tweenposted 14 years ago

Well, when your young and in your prime, maybe it isn't hard to take the stairs.

Some of us are a little older and our knees have issues.
    I don't take the stairs because of the issues.
    I am trying to save my knees thank you.

You are right about the coughing and hacking and what not, but those who do, probably are ill and can't make it if they do take the stairs.

Yes, you are right, it is wise to take the stairs for many reasons.

But there are many reasons why some of us don't.

Later

6. KCC Big Country profile image82
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

For the most part you're right, many of us are too fat and lazy. Just don't be too quick to judge.  Some people have heart or lung conditions that you can't necessarily see.  They may look healthy to you, but in fact they are not.  Same with handicap parking spaces.  Some disabilities aren't as obvious as others.

I understand that but when you live in a dorm with 1000's of teenagers, I can assume that 99% are in good health and are just lazy.

My irritation is the fact that I live in a 17-story dorm with only 4 elevators so the lazy people clog up the elevators cause they can't walk a floor or two.

7. Jewels profile image83
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

I always take the stairs because it's quicker than the escalator - no kidding.  People are generally too slow for me.  Even at the airport on those walking escalator thingys I will walk.  That's an awesome feeling to walk fast on one of those things - it's like space walking - not that I've walked in space - but I'm sure it's similar!! smile  I'm not lazy when it comes to walking, I love it.

8. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

I'm glad you softened and explained your view TimTurner. Yes the stats are all wrong for the dorm dwellers and the elevators vs stairs.   

To look at me, I walk fine and you would be bad mouthing me in your head for taking the elevator.  Because yes, I look like I sure need to drop some weight.  Avoiding stairs has been key in avoiding chronic patellar femoral tendonitis, which makes it very difficult to drive a 5-speed.  I stubbornly never take the stairs for only one floor, even though sometimes I feel every single step.  In your sour attitude, you would not know that I have however been parking at the back of the lot, at work, Wal-Mart, wherever for 12 years.  And as far as young people, I have met a few with a similar situation, with patellar chondromalacia.

9. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Wow, if this is the most irritating thing in your life, you've got a great one. You're too young to be so judgemental. Can't wait to see you in 10 years.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My sentiments too. 

It's funny how (students or anyone else) we never knew who is irked by us for what is often absolutely insignificant or even incorrect.  I've had times when I've walked over 50 miles in a week (just for fitness), done all kinds of house work and yard work, but then gone to some public building where I just may automatically take the elevator rather than the stairs.  If somebody were decided to assume I'm a lazy person and then get all irked about it - they'd be getting irked over nothing.  In the meantime, I'd have reached my destination and remain someone who knows I get more than enough exercise; while the irked person gets his blood pressure up over nothing.   smile

10. Jewels profile image83
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

There's currently a commercial on the TV where two people are stuck on the escalator that broke down.  They're calling for help because their hearts would not be able to handle physically stepping up the stairs.

I think there is room for Tim Turner's rant.  Fair enough there are those who have physical disabilities and also as Lisa pointed out, who's to say one person hasn't already walked 30 kilometers in that day.

But as a generalization (you can say many things as a generalization), lots of people don't think of taking the stairs if the escalator is working, and it is because they are too lazy.  And they wouldn't have heart conditions later in life if they had taken the stairs instead of the escalator earlier on in their life.

So those who have already walked 30kms in the day, and those who have physical disabilities - by all means use the elevator.  But for those who are capable, you may want to think about your later years when you wished you had stayed fit.

I also wonder if this 'young' generation are not judgmental enough.  Observation and discernment are good character traits. Being judgmental is often something older people do in great quantity.

11. profile image0

I sometimes like to race ppl in elevators, like my parents, I race up the stairs trying to get there first lol

1. Jewels profile image83
      Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you win?

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sometime yes and sometimes no lol I have the issue where I sometimes trip UP the stairs lmao

1. Jewels profile image83
          Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol One hasn't lived until they fall up stairs!

12. profile image0

Ain't that the truth. You should try it Jewels. It's WAY more fun than tripping down the stairs. LMAO

13. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I hate elevators, and I used to always take the stairs. Now, unfortunately, that's not an option any longer. I have no cartilage left in my right knee or hip from an injury. That's why I've gained so much weight! Duh!

It does worry me that kids aren't active the way they used to be. We hated staying indoors when we were little. If we did, our moms found something for us to do - and it wasn't fun!

1. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

AAaa Habee I am sorry that you have no more cartilage in your knee and that you had an injury to your hip. *hugs*

And my mom was the same way...if I wasn't doing HW she was giving me chores lol I ran!

14. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Thanks, Crazd. Hugs back!

15. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

You also have to consider that stairwells are NOT SAFE for women! I love to walk and move but I won't necessarily take stairs because it's a dumb idea many times - you need to be out where other people are. If that's at the elevators, so be it.

I do park far from stores though when I'm not hauling littles with me.

16. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

Of course this is all assuming you can FIND the stairs.  I have been spending a lot of time at the local hospital recently and only have to go to the second floor but unless I go all the way to the other end of the whole campus, the stairs have alluded me up to this point.

17. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

Tim - when I was in my twenties I took the stairs all the time - and even now I do sometimes. But if I'm too tired I take the elevator - if no one likes it - tough

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)