How many emotions?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (118 posts)
  1. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

How many emotions do you have?  How many emotions does a person have, in general?  I'm serious here - I've kinda lost sight of the truth in this department and am having some trouble 're-learning' emotions.

During my marriage, I discovered my ex had a total of 2 emotions:  mad and not mad.  After 10 years of marriage...I don't remember much about emotions, what are they?

(light-hearted discussion, I just want to get reaquainted with feelings)

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have only one.... horny. Wait is that an emotion? Well I do feel strongly about it so I guess it counts. big_smile

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Women have hundeds of emotions!

Men? Most have only three:
    a. hunger
    b. anger
    c. sexual desire

Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

omg - dont say that!!!  lol

2. Urbane Chaos profile image90
      Urbane Chaosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For some reason, I don't see anything wrong with that.

I went for ice-cream earlier today.  Ordered a fudge brownie sundae, (good stuff, I know), and waited.  Well, the chick that brought it out to me was hot - and I mean smokin'... but, they forgot to stuff that beloved little brownie in the bottom.  Yeah, I was angry.  But, I was more hungry, so I ate it anyway - all the time staring at the little hottie that brought it out to me.

I'll tell ya, after all of that, I was exhausted.  Using all three of my emotions at once really wore me out!

Now I'm sleepy.. (I hope that's not considered an emotion! I'd be over my quota! yikes)

lol

3. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i would say hunger and sexual desire are kinda the same...

just different food sources

1. skyfire profile image78
        skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol lol

3. Rafini profile image82

roll

oh, honestly!   lol

3. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 14 years ago

none lol

hey habee lookin good girl

oh no, you gotta have some kinda feelings.  cuz you're alive!!  smile

4. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Don't feel too bad I had a friend who would call his wife if she didn't pack him three cookies, not two or four, three! I can only imagine what she was thinking! That wasn't the worst he also charted her weight dailey on the frig!Yikes! My wife would seriously hurt me if I went anywhere near her weight!big_smile

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sneako, you are wise in the ways of women!

Hi, Kimbo!

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Typical drama queen male. Raging Type A a**hole. There are as many on the hetero side as there are batting for the other team.

As for men and emotions, many buy into the idea that they must be rather stoic overall, and there are only very dramatic situations where deep-based emotion should be observable to others. (Macho hang-ups.) Those who show more tender emotions in "non acceptable" situations are often dubbed wimps and homos. So men will feel a lot of emotions, but not all will allow them to be seen or observed.

Some guys (and gals) are just so messed up mentally and emotionally that their emotions are pretty convoluted and rather sick. I think your ex, rafini, might be an example.

lol

yeah, my ex is definitely a prime example!  Any time I would say (something like)  I was annoyed he would say "So, you're mad."  Um, no.  I'm annoyed!  There is a difference.  It seriously destroyed my understanding of emotions and diminished my vocabulary at the same time!  lol  So...I'm looking to improve these things and it just doesn't seem like something for therapy, ya know?

5. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

- Pride
    - Empathy
    - Humorous
    - Despair
    - Anger
    - Lonely
    - Fear

Blah Blah huge list...

empathy is an emotion?....

please continue...smile

Positive emotion..

2. Daniel Carter profile image62

I think empathy is a form of love. The nurturing side.

6. donotfear profile image82
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

I can't name all the emotions. Too dang many.

7. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

There is a way to look at emotions from root sources.

For example, what are all the emotions associated with love?
    nuture
    empathy
    romance
    sex (at least in many cases, not all)

What are the emotions associated with anger?
    fear
    despair/hopelessness
    protection (the feeling of needing to protect)
    paranoia (how many people with this condition attack...)

Etc.

A love-based life is considered a healthy life. Anger is useful in protection and learning. A fear-based life is more a life based on skewed perceptions that come from past bad experiences, or from forms of mental illness.

Anyway, you can kind of see how this might work. I'm not saying it's all accurate, I'm just saying these are my observations from experience.

1. Aya Katz profile image83
      Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You forgot one: worship.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62

Good point! There are probably, more as well.

1. profile image0
          kimberlyslyricsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

so good to see you Daniel.  Must confess don't like emotions much, if I could control them, maybe.  But theres always the good ones, like now, happy to see you

xo

2. Rafini profile image82

I think you have the right touch on emotions, it sounds familiar. lol

Love based emotions vs. Anger based emotions

there must be more, though...such as hate based emotions (or would that be included with fear?)  I don't get the worship, as an emotion as I dont get empathy as an emotion.  I understand what you said though, empathy is a form of love, the nurturing side - that makes sense.

8. skyfire profile image78

@Daniel, anger and despair are related ?

1. Daniel Carter profile image62

When I analyzed things in my life, I found that they were in many cases. That doesn't mean they are related in all cases for everyone else. But I think they can be depending on root of the issue.

9. cupid51 profile image67
    cupid51posted 14 years ago

I think hunger or thirst is the only emotion people have! All others are the symptoms!

lol

hunger and thirst are  basic needs, silly. roll

I stand corrected, Summer filled me in on the truth.  hmm

1. SummerSteward profile image59
          SummerStewardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

if you count what I say as truth lol. It's just my personal belief.. smile

I was meaning that hunger and thirst were apparently more than basic needs. smile  lol

I think when spoken of in an emotional context they are.. for sure. So how's life today?

busy.  I have to finish my sons taxes (damn!  why did I wait??  he owes about 250) and had to pay my light bill before 5 so it isn't turned off.  But, good and stable.  smile lol

u?

Pretty swell. Just waiting for work to be finished!

how much longer?

10. donotfear profile image82
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Yearning......

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like that one!

11. SummerSteward profile image59
    SummerStewardposted 14 years ago

I think every emotion is a reaction of two things.

Fear and love.

ok, you agree with Daniel.  It makes sense.  Emotions are reactions...but why?  I mean, why do we react to Fear and Love with other emotions?

I don't mean to be nitpicky, and it seems to be a difficult thing to explain - which must be why I"m having such a hard time relearning how to name feelings/emotions/behaviors.   lol

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

its hard because every individual reacts in different ways to things. For example, I violently detest being tickeled. I go into a panic if someone tries to tickle me. I feel trapped, like I can't breath. All I can think about is getting away from the tickeling, in any way posable. Even thinking about it makes my heart race. Many people will just laugh and see tickeling as a funny kind of way to connect.

that makes sense, but basic emotions are the same aren't they?  I mean, happiness is the same but the causes of happiness would be different for each person.

1. profile image0

I would guess they are similar. Happy is not sad, but all the slight variations and levels of intesity vary greatly from person to peron.I honestly believe there really are people who are incapable of certian emotions, particularly ones resulting from compassion or any type of consideration for other people. I think a perosn who is not able to care what others feel, most likely feel a far lesser degree of happiness themselves.

I think for you, maybe you could try examining one emotion at a time,as it happens.  maybe not worry so much about the actual defination, but just say..IS this good or bad? Do I like how I feel right now? Then decide how it got there, and if its bad, what can you do to make it better.

smile  I think I agree with you.

I must have just recently recovered enough to be capable of facing the truth about emotions so, of course, I jumped!  lol  That is an interesting idea - not everyone is capable of feeling all emotions, and I think it probably comes from whatever a persons life experiences are.

2. SummerSteward profile image59

Your right, it is difficult to explain.

Love is about more than romance or unconditional love for family. It's about a way to look at the world. When you react in love you are acting in ultimate truths. You are reacting in a way that speaks of courage. Anger can be a part of love, it's just what the anger is attributed to. Are you mad because someone has hurt you or others? Are you going to act in a healthy way and confront the issue? OR are you going to act in fear and become combative, abusive, deceiving?

Fear: well fear is what leads to emotions such as rage. It's what encompasses me when I am lost in self-pity, regret, remorse, shame. Shame for fear of me doing something wrong, for something being my fault. Reacting to situations violently, fearful of accepting truth, fearful of my self-worth, fearful of so many things. Fear to succeed, fear to trust all lead to a downward spiral and a torrent of depressing emotions.

The emotion of love brings forth a healthy acting. Feeling "guilty" as opposed to "shame" is based in love. It's pushes us into  taking accountability. We then feel "pride" in our small feats. This leads to "confidence", we find "gratitude" and "generosity"... all attributed to reacting in love.

I guess for me, it's more than just "feelings" it's truth, spirituality, and acceptance to a better way of living.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
          TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Beautifully written!

thank you!

I'd bow, but I'm AFRAID your gonna jump on my back.. and spiders scare me something fierce! smile

LOL...FEAR not! I am spider you can LOVE. wink

haha! Alright!! I'll find myself clothed in LOVE and find the COURAGE to embrace you! FEAR can no longer keep me away!!!

Yay! LOVE conquers FEAR! See how we can unite the world! Woot. *embraces Summer* (one wonders if you are a Cancer in the zodiac?)

halla! I am a Virgo/Libra.. moon sign is peices!  A whole slew of contradictions! If you can warp that into some sort of sense making please do! *hug*

The emotion of love brings forth a healthy acting. Feeling "guilty" as opposed to "shame" is based in love. It's pushes us into  taking accountability.

Thank you.  Something about these statements brought a change in how I am feeling right now.  You gave a lot of info, I'll be thinking hard on what you have said.  Thanks. smile

My pleasure! I am glad that my explanation helped. How exactly are you feeling differently? Do tell!

love brings healthy acting, such as feeling guilty is healthy even if a negative behavior, it's a healthy form of love.  Rather than feeling shame, which is also a negaative but must be a form of fear.

There is no reason for me to be ashamed of my past, as I have tried to live in such a way as to not have any regrets and have done nothing to be ashamed of.  I do, however, have some things in my past to feel guilty of, and that's okay because it means I take accountability for it.  Nobody has the right to tell me I should be ashamed when the correct response is guilt.

It was like a major Aha!  moment.  lol  One I am hoping I can sustain. smile

Oh Rafini!! {{HUGS}}

YOu're absolutely right. There is NO reason to be ashamed of your past. We all do the best we can with what we've got at the time, Rafini...and we make decisions based on those things.

Yesterday's gone...yesterday's gone...woooo....

Here's one of my favorite authors on the subject:

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to encumbered with your old nonsense."

--R.W. Emerson

I like it!  Thanks. smile

Absolutely. Shame is a product of taking on responsibilities of others actions whose were clearly in the wrong .Taking it within us and somehow telling ourselves we were deserving of it. Screw that nonsense. Shame is a pointless emotion that stops us from finding our truths.

Aha moments are the best! PROUD I was able to give this to another... with the help of a delightful spider.. smile

3. SummerSteward profile image59

I think basically this can be simply lived. Whenever you are having a hard time identifying what your "feeling", think about love, love of you, of others, of principle, of truth. Then ask yourself where your emotion is stemming from? Is it stemming from a selfish want to hold on tight? That's fear. From past events that cripple you? Fear. Evaluate the situation, what your gut tells you and finding the how to bring positive energy/emotion back into the situation. When I take that moment, I bring myself closer and closer back to the core of me. It enables freedom and confidence and a surer path.

That sounds like what I'm looking for, being able to bring myself back to the core of me -because I've been lost for so long.

Thanks so much for your help, SummerSteward. smile

being lost enables us to be found! That my friend can be a delightful experience! wink

12. stephensaldana profile image60
    stephensaldanaposted 14 years ago

Human being has many emotions.. its countless.. normally a contradictions goes on between the emotions too.. So it is quite hard to say that how many emotions a human being carry.. Its just many..!

sounds like you are talking about the Fight or Flight concept.  Really?  With all emotions?  Interesting....I can almost feel it, but not quite.  I think I'm understanding it. smile  Thanks for commenting.

13. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

At first...I thought there were six: anger, fear, love, happiness, sadness, gratitude

But now I think anger is born of fear and happiness is born of love and love is the opposite of fear.

The negative emotions can be combated with the positive ones...Fear, sadness...can be overturned with love and gratitude.

ETA: To me, other "emotions" are just variations of these "root" emotions.

I like your thinking!

So, as long as one can feel fear & love, they can feel all other emotions.  Right?  And negative can be overturned by positive, which must also be able to work in reverse depending on the situation. 

Okay!  Now I"m getting somewhere.  lol
      So, what I need to do is identify the names of the emotions, name the emotions as I have them, then separate the emotions into the two categories of Love or Fear.  Sound right?

Hi, thanks! I wish I could take credit for it! I learned it from a form of Japanese therapy (that I'm going to have to look up the name for...LOL).

I should think that one can feel emotions as long as they're living...but whether or not they let their emotional river flow might be another story.

But keeping it simple - I'd say yes, as long as one is touch with love and fear they will feel all the subtle variations thereof. And yes, it works the opposite way: Love can be overcome by Fear, though it is a sad thing.

As far as identifying and sorting emotions...I suppose one could do that if one felt the need; understanding the emotion may help you to help it flow. Once you can put a name to it, perhaps you can also analyze its roots. smile

ETA: The type of therapy is called Naikan Therapy, and it focuses on gratitude as the ultimate deterrent for negative emotion.

Thanks Glass Spider, you have been very helpful. smile

The main reason I feel the need to identify & sort emotions is basically this: if I"m going to write, I need to know what I'm writing about. smile  I have to be able to name the feelings I'm having.

Ahhh, I understand. I'm glad I could help. Sometimes naming the emotion helps us accept that it is there as well (like when we're angry, but we feel like we shouldn't be angry, so we pretend we're not when we really are...LOL). Calling it out and saying, "I'm angry" can help one start figuring out the anger and dealing with it.

If I may say so, however, while it is good to know one's emotions by name, it can also be good to write about them in...unorthodox ways. For instance, I can write, "I'm angry" and that's okay...BUT if I write:

"Ooh, I wanna scream at the top of my lungs, I feel like my head is full of steam! My blood is boiling and I'm frothing at the mouth like a rabid dog! I can't stand *whatever*"

I might get more of it out in a more emotionally satisfying way. LOL

Aahh, understood!  lol  I've just felt stuck with emotions for like, the past 20 years or so.  Meaning, stuck with only 2 - mad & not mad.  lol

I agree. I'd repost what I just posted.. but it's sorta long. smile

It's all right...I'll see it. I just haven't gotten there yet. Like a silly goose I just posted what I thought before reading the whole thread! LOL

I love your avatar, BTW! Is it you? If it is you're lovely! I love the colors and you pull them off well (I could NEVER get away with that look)!

yup it's me! it's a few years old though.. Thank you! I love having colors all around me!

http://img1.eyefetch.com/p/5c/785412-1ad52a9f-0fd6-49db-8874-2f3ad9f7462bl.jpg

I think you could pull it off!

14. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

PRIDE!  is being proud an emotion?  because I think, next to love, it's my favorite!  I think it is just another facet of love - you know?  and sometimes it is hard to come by  smile

Yes, I think pride is definitely a part of self-love.

*stalks mega*

Well, I don't see pride as a negative...so, Yes.  I'd call it a part of love.

(yeah!  one down, umpteen left to go.  lol)

1. profile image0

I dont think any emotion by itself is a negative. its an internal reaction to an stimulus. Its how you handle the emotion and what you do with it that matters, how it makes you treat yourself and others.

And like GS said, yes, naming an emotion is very helpful in deciding where to put it, what to do with it, especially a feeling you dont like. But you dont necesarily need to know the word anger, so much as ...hmm..I want to scream.

My oldest daughter had a very very difficult first two years and as a result a hard time understanding/explaining emotions. Shes turnign 13 this summer and its still a struggle sometimes. But being able to stop and think...right now, do I feel good or bad? Then go deeper, what do I want to do about it? for some reason I cant quiet figure out, thinking about the action she wants to take, helps her figure out what the "feeling" is. We have all kinds of words for emotions...huggey, nicey, stompy, we have black dyas and red days, we have that "I sort of I want to be alone right now" feeling, blech, blah, overjoyed.

Sounds like your daughter has a great mom to help her sort out feelings. smile
          And, thank you for sharing the advice.  I'll remember it, to stop and think . smile

1. profile image0

thank you. best of luck to you, I am sure youll get it!!

15. skyfire profile image78

Anyone here compatible with Aries ? ..

Really depends on other things like your ascendant and moon, but I (capricorn) have lots of Aries friends. Their energy and passion can help buoy me up (we Cappies have a tendency to be a little too serious).

Not sure about ascendant and moon, i know that i'm 22nd march born,ultra neutral awesomely impulsive deamon.

LOL...there's such a thing as a neutral daemon?? wink

If you wanted to email me the date, exact time, and place of your birth I could easily find out your ascendant and other planets' positions for you.

You may be on the cusp.

Here it is: 22'nd March 84, 1:47am(see Demon tongue).

Oh...I've gotta write that down...Where were you born?

*gulp* i've to email that else some people from my place will come to know about my hubpages account which i don't want them to know... roll

2. mega1 profile image80
      mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I LOVE Aries!  Possibly Aries people stimulate me (both pos and neg) more than any other sign.  Don't know why that is - the Aries I have known are very attractive to me.  I get obsessed with them, actually.  So if you are Aries, here I come!

wink

I feel you mega1!

3. SummerSteward profile image59

I love them too! Just got done dating one.. and he was awesome. Great sense of humor, sense of adventure, cute and a firefighter. hot hot hot!

Cool smile

16. TheGlassSpider profile image64

Meanwhile I've hijacked Rafini's thread. I'm sorry!!

Where?  Where are we going now?  LOL

(no issue smile )

17. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

I want to thank everyone for responding.  You guys are so helpful!!  And the information each of you shared will help too.  I'm feeling so much better than I was this morning, lol, I love all of you for being such a big help.  ((((hugs))))

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1513751707704&id=f134cdd92da559b55b5034aa26952100&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.graphicsgrotto.com%2fclipartpictures%2fcomments%2fhugs%2fimages%2fcachugs1.jpg

18. TheGlassSpider profile image64

Wow! I feel warm and fuzzy and very connected! I'm so glad I found this thread today, and glad that my contribution might have helped some!!

{{{HUGS}}} all around!

But I suppose I'm gonna have to be outta here, ya'll...duty calls.

Have a good one!

see ya next time. smile

19. cupid51 profile image67
    cupid51posted 14 years ago

If it is a serious discussion then I would give along list (Found in the net)

Postive Human Emotions

Adequate    Awe    Assured    Able
    Capable    Certain    Charmed    Cheerful
    Comfortable    Compassion    Courageous    Confidence
    Determined    Delighted    Eager    Energetic
    Enthusiastic    Excited    Exhilarated    Expectant
    Elation    Empathy    Excellent    Fascinated
    Glad    Good    Great    Grateful
    Glorious    Glamorous    Graceful    Happy
    Hopeful    Humorous    Inspired    Interested
    Joyful    Magnificent    Lust    Love
    Pleasure    Playfulness    Peaceful    Pleasant
    Powerful    Pride    Positive    Relaxed
    Relieved    Satisfied    Surprised    Sympathy
    Stable    Sublime    Superior    Thrilled

Negative human emotions

Annoyed    Anxious    Apprehensive    Agonize
    Anger    Anxiety    Apathy    Bored
    Burdened    Cautious    Competitive    Concerned
    Confused    Contempt    Depressed    Destructive
    Disgusted    Distracted    Doubtful    Disappointed
    Exasperated    Exhausted    Embarrassment    Envy
    Frustrated    Fear    Guilty    Greed
    Grief    Harassed    Hesitant    Hostile
    Ignored    Impatient    Indifferent    Intimidated
    Isolated    Irritated    Jealous    Jumpy
    Lonely    Mad    Manipulated    Miserable
    Obnoxious    Overwhelmed    Panic    Pressured
    Remorse    Revenge    Shame    Sad
    Scared    Shocked    Suspicious    Stress
    Tired    Uncomfortable    Uneasy    Used
    Wary    Weary    Wasteful

Wow!  lol didn't think to check anywhere online...geez, when am I going to remember I'm on the internet??  lol

thanks cupid smile

omg - competitive is a negative?  Why?  I always thought it was a good thing. lol

does anyone have advice on how not to be indifferent?

20. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

do you ever feel like if one more emotion overwhelms you you might implode or explode or at the very least have a tizzy fit?  sometimes my emotions really overwhelm and I want to go pull covers over my head and not come back out for awhile.  or sometimes I want to just get into a black box with no stimulation at all - and its impossible. 

anyone have tips on how to reduce emotion overload?

not anything I would recommend.  the only thing I can think of means escaping feelings, which wouldn't be healthy.

Wait.  Maybe...release your emotions in some way.  Like running, dancing to some really fast music, listening to some really upbeat or loud/angry music (whichever would match your emotion).  I remember doing these things when I was young, when I still knew what my emotions were.  lol  (they are coming back!!)

I'm feeling great!  smile (and maybe kinda silly?)

1. mega1 profile image80

yeh, I feel good too - I just often get emotional overload and when I was younger used to unload them on others  - not good.  Nowadays I just do listen to music and write and walk a little.

I don't feel as silly as I did the other night when writing sock puppet songs - but felt silly enough to write about slang!  I just was editing some video footage I took of a big old tom turkey and his hens - they were eating and ignoring him while he slowly rattled around with his tail up - he wasn't eating, wonder whether he does eat this time of year.  That is a silly thing to watch!  although also stately in a turkey way . . .

lol  I don't get it, but it's funny anyway!  (must be a - you have to be there- kinda thing)

Ya know, that's probably a good way for me to look at the depression state.  It's an emotional overload...You have really good ideas!  I'm really gonna have to remember this one. smile  I am so new to writing, I didn't think about that for an emotional release. roll

1. mega1 profile image80

writing is a good distraction  - I don't write much about my personal life and emotions but more about funny things or stuff that interests me and that will take some thought and research.  This way my mind is pulled away from myself and my worries or emotions.  If I were to write about my psychology I would just get more upset, so I don't.

I have a great time writing what I think is funny things, a lot of it comes up from relating to others in the forums - like the sock puppet song!  had a lot of fun with that.

therapists often use writing as a tool for release of memories, emotions, all that crap!

huh, I must not have had very many good therapists...none of them suggested writing until after I mentioned i wrote in a journal.

yeah, I get your point, about writing about your own psychology - that's how I began, actually.  lol  10 years ago, when I sunk deep into depression I grabbed a notebook and pen and it got worse!!  Until I decided my journals needed to be of the 'self-help' variety.

You have a good sense of humor with a good imagination, a couple of things I lack. smile

21. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Here's a partial list of human emotions:

Ecstasy
    Acceptance
    Hostility
    Aggression
    Embarrassment
    Contempt
    Apathy
    Pride
    Doubt
    Anxiety
    Hysteria
    Confusion
    Empathy
    Envy
    Compassion
    Remorse
    Ambivalence
    Depression
    Grief
    Euphoria
    Forgiveness
    Guilt
    Frustration
    Boredom
    Sympathy
    Gratitude
    Shame
    Hope
    Hunger
    Interest
    Regret
    Paranoia
    Homesickness
    Loneliness
    Love
    Hatred
    Pity
    Pleasure
    Rage
    Affection
    Horror
    Suffering

Wow, what a list. smile

You're the second person to mention hunger...but I don't get that one as an emotion.  (especially with the love-fear relationship)

I'm crashing now...the euphoria (I was VERY happy and silly earlier) is decreasing, but at least I believe I'll get my unemployment AND a nice settlement when I sue my previous employer.  LOL

1. Beth100 profile image68
        Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, that "suing" thing... the only real winners are the lawyers!  (that's kind of a joke with my lawyers.... smile ) Seriously,  good luck and stick to 'em!!!!

Competition is negative if it is used in a negative way (you beat yourself up if you lose, you become angry at the competition, etc.) 

Not to be indifferent requires one to be in touch with one's emotions.  In another words, feel with your heart, not think with your head.  To stop the noise in your head requires peace from within.  Obtaining that peace....well, I'm sure you've heard many ways of getting there.  If you like, I can list some, but it'll have to be tomorrow night.  Like you, I'm crashing!  smile

thanks for your reply. smile

this one will probably require some professional help, I"m guessing.  I've been indifferent much too long to know anything different.  Wow, what a concept...I'm almost scared of it, to not be indifferent I mean.

hehehe thanks, my attorney suggested I sue, and it was a suggestion knowing he may not get any $$$ cuz it's an EOC thing.  Of course, I was planning on it anyway, but he knew the proper procedure such as waiting until the unemployment hearing was complete in order to 'set the stage' for my claims.

I hope it goes well! Good luck!

well think about hunger. The most basic hunger, is the kind were you want to eat right? Are you eating because your sustaining your bodies energy (love) or to eat your emotions (based in fear), same with eating disorders.

Now think about the another.. more lusty hunger. Sometimes sex is just that, sex. However it becomes more than that when your doing it for validation, approval, or a daddy/mommy complex. (fear), also it becomes love when your doing it for simple reasons, to be with someone you care for, you love, or just to love yourself and give your body what it needs. Love once again.

People reflect their hungers when they are seeking whatever it is they need. From strangers, friends and lovers. How they reflect them, and whether or not they are meeting their needs from WITHIN themselves is how it's determined what it's based in, love or fear. It's easy to look for others to love us, to give us our worth because of our fears. It's harder to find the esteem within yourself, to be loving to your spirit. To give it healthy food to eat. When I go through emotional turmoil, how do I react? Do I lose myself in drugs, sex blah blah trying to quell my hunger to forget? Or do I allow those emotions, write it out, paint, play drums, talk it out and seek comfort from the arms of people in my life that LOVE me? Meh.. most times.. however regression happens and I sometimes instead elect for sex, drugs and rock-n-roll.

omg, that actually makes sense!  lol  I honestly didn't think anyone could explain it to the point where I would believe it, but you did.  Wow.  I can see, though, it's gonna take some time for it to sink it, cuz it's a new concept for me basically.

haha, good.. hopefully it works for you. It sorta takes "trying" to be better to the next level I think!

22. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

You'll know when you're no longer indifferent.  You'll hear the "cork pop" and every emotion will come bubbling out.  smile

I like your lawyer already.  Did you know lawyers get paid by the number of words they use?  That's why it takes them 50x the words to write an explanation when it only takes you and me a few.  smile  Ever heard of a short winded lawyer?  Neither have I.  big_smile

Let me know how things work out -- on both accounts!  Just email me.  smile

lol  like your lawyer jokes!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)