WTF? Hub Of The Day

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (109 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

Hub of the day!

The title would read "What The Fuck? Smartphone bans in Schools? BLAH BLAH (since I don;t really know what the SMH stands for I can assume it means "Sue my ass" or whatever).

Jeez, I am not a prude but I would think a title like that would not be appropriate especially since it concerns kids...just saying.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

smh = shaking my head

1. JG11Bravo profile image73
        JG11Bravoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!  I've been wondering about that one for months.

2. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree even though words weren't said it just doesn't look good for any hub and surely not for Hub Of The Day.

3. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Cardisa, what you have succinctly stated is so true.  Where is the quality, really? A more appropriate title should have be used. In total agreement!
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8506221_f248.jpg

Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Gmwilliams. smile Like the meme....but it's missing something...WTF, yes that's it!

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree that the title is inappropriate for the quality that HP is trying to maintain -- however, the article is well written and contains some very sensible thoughts and suggestions. It is only the title that contains a derogatory term that everyone knows the meaning of -- there are not other such terms within the hub. I strongly believe that whoever chose that hub as HOTD, should have requested that the title be changed to drop the immature, inappropriate term -- the rest of the title is fine.

My point exactly. As you may have noticed, I never mentioned the hub itself because I scanned through it and didn't find anything inappropriate there. Just the title which should have been changed. To me it gives the wrong impression about the articles that are on HP.

5. Hikapo profile image78
      Hikapoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The writer has an eye catching headline that even caused a creation of this thread.

He or she has done a good job getting people's attention. Think about how many more views he gets for the extra attention(be it positive or negative).

That's great he is getting views, I wouldn't dream otherwise. That's not the debate. The debate is whether or not the title is appropriate.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Titles get attention and it matches the issue he brings to the hub.  I don't see an issue with this hub title.  Sometimes it's simply an appropriate response.  Everyone has used it or at least thought it!  It's in the Oxford dictionary.

2. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 10 years ago

I'm not usually a fan of the HOD bashing in this forum but this one is definitely deserving of discussion in countless ways.  WTF is going on around here?

1. JG11Bravo profile image73
      JG11Bravoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.  I'm not a fan.  I see what the author may have been going for with the title, using "text speak" and all that, but I'm not sure it's entirely appropriate or representative of a respectable, authoritative image.

1. EricDockett profile image96
        EricDockettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Regardless of whether it is socially appropriate it is grammatically and stylistically horrific.  Shouldn't HOD at least vaguely resemble the standards set in the Learning Center?

2. Cardisa profile image88

I did like six "double takes" at the title and did some checking to see if WTF could mean something else but I kept getting the same thing.

I have never bashed a HOTD before but this one takes the cake.

I don't mean anything against the writer.  None of us are perfect, and sometimes we don't even set out to write a Hub that meets high standards, but HOD should represent everything this site says it's looking for in a Hub.  Is this it?  I don't get it.

1. profile image0

Cursing aside, it makes sense to use a modern term (what do you call phrases like this? Do we all sound 100 years old yet?) when dealing with this subject. It's catchy and smart to use it in the title.

For example: if a someone wanted to promote a prayer, texting site, they could call it OMG. Tacky in every way, but you get the comparison.

I already feel badly for my previous posts so I'm not going to point out why I don't agree.  I see what you are saying though, sort of.

1. profile image0

Well someday when you're a 100 you will understand things fully. lol

Deleted

1. profile image0

Hey Eric, could you post a Simpson quote and then a few cowardly seconds later, delete it? Thanks a lot.

I deleted it.  Now you look silly.  smile  And I'm derailing the thread again.

Done!

I briefly posted what I thought was a clever Simpon's quote for you, but then I felt like I was derailing the thread.

Carry on.

I want to see the quote!

Grandpa Simpson's response to Homer when he was told he wasn't "with it":

"I used to be with it.  Then they changed what it was.  Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me.  It'll happen to YOU!" 

This thread brought it to mind.  But I think the issues with the title are about more than a generation gap.

And I made Beth feel bad for no reason now.

3. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

SHM, too. Don't get it. I don't like to participate in negative comments about a HOTD day either. But you're right for raising this question about the title, Cardisa. I hope HP staff will chime in. You, JG11Bravo, and EricDockett all raise valid concerns. I felt the same when I saw it this morning. I dunno.

4. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 10 years ago

I have to agree with all the negative comments on the HOTD, but now that it is done, what would you all like HubPages to do about it???   I do think in the future, the staff would pay more attention to the Hubs they chose so this does not happen again.

They could ask that the title be adjusted???

1. mary615 profile image82
        mary615posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good idea.  It is a very good Hub and a feather in the cap to the new writer who wrote this.  Yes, just change the title, maybe??

2. loveofnight profile image76
        loveofnightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I once had a hub that I was asked to adjust, although I felt as if they were wrong in their opinion I had to follow suit.  I personally have not seen the hub in question but i will be looking for it to see if I agree with everyone's opinion.

5. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

Young people might be interested in this. Disturbing stuff.

6. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

I've been under the impression that HP wants magazine quality/style articles.  Not text speech from a phone screen.  As such the abbreviations are not appropriate for the body of text, let alone the title, unless the topic itself is the use of such language.

1. profile image0

I only saw it briefly as I was signing in... wasn't it about texting or phones or some such thing?

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

About the use of phones in schools, and the schools reaction to students carrying them.  Well written overall and with some good thoughts, it fit well into the HP scheme as I understand it.  Except for that title - that puts it square back into a teeny bopper playing with her phone rather than a serious dialog.

1. profile image0

Well, again, other than the fact that it represents a curse word... it is a clever title. There isn't an English speaking student alive who doesn't know what that means and most of them use it quite commonly. Most don't even think of it as a curse word... it's almost like the letters themselves have come to stand more for an expression of shock or anger than for the actual F word they represent. Not defending its usage at all, but as a title, I think it's clever, it makes sense.

I don't mind the text jargon or whatever they are called being used in a title. And yes I understand your POV since the hub is about smartphones in schools, but the use of that particular acronym is inappropriate for what HP says it's aiming for. Why not OMG, or WTH? Or some other exclamatory expression?

1. profile image0

Yeah, I don't know... of course they didn't entitle the hub, but maybe they see it as quite common too? Maybe they are all in their early 20's? lol... I don't know. Again, I'm not at all supporting it, but I find it odd that I'm by far less offended by it than most. lol

I don't think I'm offended, more like disappointed. If HP wasn't so strict in the past, I would let it go. A part of me finds it quite amusing as well. I haven;t stop saying WTF since morning...lol

1. profile image0

I getcha... cause you write kind of racy hubs and felt the sting of rejection quite a few times... then they plaster the F word on an honored hub and it's like, "Hey!" I understand.

Jeez, you know me too well! lol tongue cool

2. wilderness profile image93
                  wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's what I see, too - HP has been very strict, and has gone to great lengths and costs to promote high quality writing.  Writing that is different and "better" than the blogs we see everywhere. 

Now this, using text-talk for the title of a hub and with HP promoting it as something special.  I'm not offended, just disappointed.

2. IslandBites profile image90
          IslandBitesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Maybe that is the point.

7. suzettenaples profile image88
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

I agree with you Cardisa.  It is not appropriate title for a hub especially then to be picked for Hub of the Day.  I think if reflects poorly on Hub Pages and on all of us if this is what HP is telling the world is great writing.  I find it terribly offensive.  I am shocked and surprised this would be chosen a Hub of the Day.  I think it is a slap in the face to previous winners and winners in the future.  Who wants to be associated with this hub?  Not me.

8. Will Apse profile image88

Well, I think HP is selling out. It wants to appeal to people under fifty and exploit them mercilessly.

1. profile image0

When every one knows ppl over 50 are the new "ppl over 30."

1. sallybea profile image94
        sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I hate hearing the word implied in the title.I have never involved myself in Hub Bashing but this title really does deserve a quick edit to make it more appropriate  for readers.  I know that it offends all of my senses.

9. dags the drover profile image63
    dags the droverposted 10 years ago

Offensive is offensive regardless of the topic for discussion.. very disappointing.

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Tell me dags, what exactly is a dag?

1. profile image0

There's obviously more than one, watch your back.

2. dags the drover profile image63
        dags the droverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I used to be a merino sheep and cattle farmer Down Under. So... a dag is just a bit of what you don't  want collecting at the rear end of a sheep..... typical self-depreciating Aussie humour I guess. Oh and btw (trust that is ok) I used to be a Drover as well.

Sorry Dags, offensive is offensive regardless of the topic for discussion.. very disappointing.

1. profile image0

You know if you'd warn me when you were going to make your jokes, we could stagger them so as not to overwhelm the troops with so much good-natured laughter.

2. dags the drover profile image63
            dags the droverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

very good Will... Just to get back on track, I find the F word offensive in any context and just because some Gen X / Y folk may use it in it's abreviated txt form on a smartphone, does not in my opinion edify any one. And as all you folk will have worked out , I haven't been around Hubpages for a loooong time either but this one has got me going!.

2. Cardisa profile image88

lol lol lol

10. NMLady profile image74
    NMLadyposted 10 years ago

This is an interesting juxtaposition between generations.
    NO ONE and I mean NO ONE in my circle of friends uses the 'f' word.  But I am old.  *sigh*
    However, when I worked (in a very white collar, educated, high end world-) I found that some very clean cut main stream younger people used the WTF phrase fairly often!
    I accept it and 'get it' being used on shows like the Daily Show.  Movies, too.  But still refrain personally from using it.
    Still, I would rather not be associated with the term. 
    In 1939 Gone with the Wind was censored for the use of "Frankly, my dear I don't give a damn."  Language changes.

1. profile image0

Oh Rhett. *sigh

11. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

Once more dear friends. Trashing the brand!

12. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

It appears to be unanimous. A sacrifice will have to be made to appease the masses. I wonder who Paul will choose?

13. tillsontitan profile image82
    tillsontitanposted 10 years ago

I'm just adding to what everyone else has said.  HP should never have a HOD that is any way out of line...WTF is out of line as far as I can see.  Not good publicity for a site like HP!  And I too mean no offense to the writer, not even knowing who it is.  I haven't been on HP a lot lately due to family illnesses so I probably missed it.

It's today's HOTD, you can see it in your feed.

14. Will Apse profile image88

The scary thing about the page is not so much the title as the quantity and density of text.

The title probably would appeal to the young but those huge paragraphs would put off most people.

Anyway, I am not going to be judge or jury mainly because it is late and I intend to sleep.

Goodnight all.

15. suzettenaples profile image88

I am sure easilyamused is easily amused by all our comments.  Perhaps pushing the edge of the envelope is what HP wants to do.  I think it is silly myself.

1. mythbuster profile image72
      mythbusterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

But look at all the attention this is getting! WTF? smile

16. suzettenaples profile image88

I am sure easilyamused is easily amused by all our comments.  Perhaps pushing the edge of the envelope is what HP wants to do.  I think it is silly myself.

17. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Now that I know the secret to getting selected as an HOTD, I'm busily adding "WTF" to all my titles.

LOL, I'm with you on that. Everyone should be treated equally. WTF on all titles!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You know what? I'm now  actually considering adding it to 2 of my hubs. I kid you not. Both are zero-traffic disasters where absolutely nothing else has worked.

Update: Went and added it to just one. A creative writing hub. A perfect fit and absolutely nothing to lose.

Winky Wiffenpoof? Next story I write, I'll ask you to name the characters....lol

18. paradigmsearch profile image60

Uh-oh, I just realized something. Each and every one of us that has posted on this thread now has "WTF" on our profile page.

A good thing or a bad thing? Maybe Google will reclassify us all into the super-cool category and double our traffic?

1. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ho Hum WTF

2. tillsontitan profile image82
      tillsontitanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're right on top of things, aren't you?

19. profile image0

Funny, where as the title had been long since forgotten since my morning sign on, the "WTF" term now feels emblazoned on my brain...

20. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 10 years ago

I don't know...    I find the "WTF" thing kind of funny.  Those initials are "out there" everywhere anyway.  The meaning or root of them is kind of watered down at this point.  A little bit of sense of humor about some things presented in small doses is a good thing, I think.  Besides, it shows that the author has a genuine feel for the "mood"/flavor of the particular topic.

21. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

The sad thing is that thousands of potential readers who see that blazoned on the front page of HP will be lost forever, and will never come back, never click on a HP listing in the SERPs again. Why trash the brand? HP pushes Quality as its agenda and motto ( latest email) yet it slips up regularly with HOTD. I simply don't understand! It affects everyone who writes here.

1. Heather Says profile image94
      Heather Saysposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I doubt thousands of people will leave and never return because of it.  If you're so worried about "trashing the brand," why do you misuse/mis-attribute photos in your recipe Hubs as belonging to you when they clearly belong to many other professional photographers and food blogs all over the web?  That's "trashing the brand."

22. profile image0

Does anyone else pic the HP's staff gathered in a tiny office, drinking coffee and eating bagels. Paul leads the meeting off with, "Ok, "catastrophes of the day"?"

Matt brings a few technical glitches to the table, Paul asks him how soon till they can be worked out, then brings up a current sporting event... they talk about the highlights, then they all look to whatever poor soul is stuck with monitoring the forums and wait for the newest drama to unfold.

"Well, apparently the HOTD has got quite a few ppl up in arms." Poor Soul says.

"The Christians?" Paul asks already sure of the answer.

"No," says Poor Soul, "the over 30 crowd."

"Huh!" Paul replies, eyebrow arched, and then his mind drifts off to a Tim Tebow interview he'd seen earlier in the week as they all sit shaking their heads.

Excellent.

Beth, you are a true classic. big_smile

1. profile image0

lol. Maybe someone from the staff can verify.

I bet Matthew is saying, "It's that Cardisa again, I tell you, she's nothing but trouble."

Paul replies, "Cardisa started this? No, are you sure?"

Matthew says, "Want me to scold her?"

23. Aneegma profile image71
    Aneegmaposted 10 years ago

I wrote a hub about breast cancer and included the word "boobs"  but apparently hubpages flagged it as inappropriate because "boobs" is an unacceptable word. So how the hell is WTF  an accepted word??

Apparently it is. HP turned off my ads for my "Yeast Infection" and "Spousal Sexual Abuse" hubs. I had to eventually remove them. The titles were appropriate but one hub triggered the filters and the other did not comply with Adsense publishing policies.

1. Aneegma profile image71
        Aneegmaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I guess I'll invent my own words.. BHP!!  (Bloody hup pages!)

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
          Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Or INAH (I need a holiday)

24. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 10 years ago

I think that the post is much suited as a status or whatever in a social site.

I mean those sites like Bubblews which are more geared towards what is happening to your world.

Dafuq.

I do believe that words which are used in everyday language should be used more. That is reality against formality.

25. mythbuster profile image72
    mythbusterposted 10 years ago

I have a head-echo phenomenon happening with double you tee eff now... going on the end of all my sentences, wtf?

26. Inutero profile image61
    Inuteroposted 10 years ago

They got tons of views and the hub of the day spotlight.
    ps Smh = Shaking my head.

27. biblicaliving profile image68
    biblicalivingposted 10 years ago

I must confess, this one kind of caught me off guard as well. I read the title, was moving on to something else when I went "wait a second, what the.." It did accomplish it's purpose. It generated traffic, whether it was the best way to go about it or not..

28. Astra Nomik profile image64
    Astra Nomikposted 10 years ago

Looks like someone has discovered a way to say unmentionable things in such a way that they can be ... well... mentioned. Or pointed to. Or signaled to in some way. Or referred to. Why didn't someone else think of this before now.

Wait for a massive move over to LMAO titles with WTF and more inane words ... all of which will probably either drag down Hub Pages or else bring in new fresh eyes that love that kind of thing.

It is a dice and it is rolling now, I think.

1. profile image0

I think I will just start talking in initials all the time now.
      ISLIWSEWSU

1. profile image0
        Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

ISLIWSEWSU

"I Should Live In Wales So Eloping Won't Seem Unexpected?"

1. profile image0

So close!

29. paradigmsearch profile image60

Well, sports fans... Just added "WTF" to a second one of my hub titles. Again a zero-traffic hub where nothing else has worked. Again a perfect fit. Again nothing to lose.

Your faith in the power of obscenity is strong.

1. profile image0

lol

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

The thing is... I don't think the majority perceive acronyms as such.

As an example, concerning gas prices, this was plastered all over every legitimate website on the planet a few years ago.

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server5500/9dbca/products/151/images/243/bd0310_lolgassign__99168.1343342351.1280.1280.jpg

30. WiccanSage profile image91
    WiccanSageposted 10 years ago

LOL certainly grabs attention. I agree though... I would have thought it'd be inappropriate.

31. profile image0

Yeah, that's what I was saying. I think the way "WTF" is perceived now is more an expression of shock or anger. We all know what it means, but ppl seem to be comfortable with it. It's the way society goes.
    Mary Tyler Moore and Dick Van Dyke couldn't sleep in the same bed on tv 60 years ago, but we have straight up sex scenes now...

32. Will Apse profile image88

I think PDS is still mistaking 'what' for 'want'.

1. profile image0

Oh my word. No you di'int.

Ise a di'int in my head, I do believe, from all this eccentric English.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

She'll have to buy me dinner first.

1. profile image0

I highly doubt that. lol

2. Will Apse profile image88

Lol. That's it. Play hard to get and make her take you to Acapulco.

33. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

SIM here so I just want to say 4COL, WTF; BTSOOM why so many People are FO about the use of TLAs in HP titles 4 the HOTD, but then that's SNAFU for the forums here! Too many people with a SOHF!
    TIIC don't care so why should we?

NOM obviously!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)