Commenter Level - either make it fixed or separate it from Accolades

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

An Accolade is an award for an achievement.  But Commenter Level isn't an award for achievement - it's just a measure of your commenting activity at that point in time.   In that sense, it's more like Hubber Score. 

The trouble is that people think it is an award for achievement and they're surprisingly devastated when it drops.  Personally I don't care, but it's obvious that it's deeply upsetting to some of our most active Hubbers. 

So, I'd suggest that Commenter level should be removed from Accolades, especially as it's already displayed elsewhere. Some people will still be upset if it fluctuates, but at least they won't think you've snatched a statuette unfairly from their cabinet. 

Alternatively, if it's to stay in Accolades, it should be a one-way street - once you've achieved a certain commenter level, you can't drop back.  That makes some sense - after all, if you're good at commenting and then are unable to do it for a while, that doesn't diminish the quality of your existing comments.

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Doens't the "Helpful Hubber" accolade also disappear if you haven't been helpful in a while?  Might as well make that permanent too.  Or it should instantaneously convert to a frowny face "Unhelpful Hubber" accolade.

Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The other Accolades can change too - but the others aren't subject to daily fluctuation, as Commenter Level and HubberScore are.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
      LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that!!!

3. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There is an explanation in the FAQ regarding which accolades are permanent and those that are not.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#accolades
      Other Accolades celebrate different ways people contribute to the site. These Accolades come and go depending on how active you (and your Hubs) are on the site and include:
      Great Commenter
      Popular
      Great Discussion Starter
      Great HubPages Citizen
      Engaging Writer

I know they are explained, Matt, but how many people read all the FAQ's before they start?

I'm making the point that of all the Accolades, the Commenter level is by far the most volatile.  If it upsets people, the best you can offer is "it doesn't matter" which sounds unbelievably feeble!

4. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, why are you duplicating my forum question? I think this issue has been exhausted on the forum I posted a few days ago. I don't know what you're after, but this issue has already been addressed - by me!

No it hasn't.  You posted in a community forum. If you want something changed at HubPages, the correct procedure is to post it in the Suggestions forum - that is the only place where it will be formally considered.     I was trying to be helpful so that people like yourself would not be needlessly upset in future.  Pardon me for trying to be helpful, I will not bother in future.

1. bravewarrior profile image86
          bravewarriorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't trying to change anything. I was looking for an explanation and whether or not other hubbers' commenter status had been reduced. You began this forum with the comment you left on mine almost verbatim.

Yes, that was inevitable since that was what I wanted to say. I'm afraid I don't see your problem.  You got an explanation on the other thread and still continued for several pages to complain about it - and others expressed their unhappiness with the setup of this accolade too. 

Given that, it seemed only sensible to make the suggestion formally, and therefore avoid a repeat of that situation, which would benefit everyone.  I am not a believer in sitting around moaning about something, but doing nothing about fixing it.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

I never pay attention to my accolades.  I don't understand why people get hung up on commenter level.  I'm not even sure what mine is without checking.

Neither do I, but it's like Hubber Score - there always seems to be a group of Hubbers who set great store by it, and who get extremely upset when it falls.   The moderators' response is usually to reassure people it's not that important (which is what I'd say, too) - but that's not a satisfactory explanation for those people - they would say, if it's not that important why have it?

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think management has a naughty streak and they like making a certain type of hypersensitive person get upset about meaningless and confusing metrics.

On the one hand I find it very unprofessional of staff to toy with these brittle people and their emotions.  But on the other, these hypersensitive people really need to grow up and get some perspective in life. Maybe I'm also naughty for laughing when I read their unhinged rants about accolade trivialities.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

When I first joined, I used to comment more frequently.  At that time there wasn't a commenter level that I can recall.  I've never thought too much about it.

4. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

The accolades are there to drive behavior just like the gold stars in primary school. HP want people to comment on hubs and do other stuff on the site so by giving awards they ensure that a percentage of the people here will do just that.

The hub score is the same, people will add extra capsules and make longer hubs just to try to get higher scores - the thinking being that google will approve of longer richer hubs......

The trouble is some people get fixated on the stars and lose the big picture. Remember the kid in class that would cry if they did not get a star for everything that they did?

There is also the problem that like most of the "scores" on HP there is no clear understanding of what you need to achieve to get a specific score so in many ways the scores are more able to demoralize people than inspire them.

Personally I really don't give a flying tom tit about the scores - as many of the experienced hubbers will tell you - its visitors and $$$ that count.....

1. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There appear to be two separate groups of hubbers here. Those who's main purpose is the community fellowship here, exchanging comments and writing for pleasure and the personal development of their writing (these people are concerned with their Hub and commenter scores), and those who are more concerned with the money making aspects and not concerned with commenting or the levels and accolades associated (other than keeping their Hubber score above 86). I agree with thee proposal put forward by Marisa.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

I agree with Marisa.

As one of those who personally does not give a rat's patoot about such fluctuating and fickle "scores," I prefer to spend my time having fun exchanging comments with other Hubbers, and spending social time in the forums, as well as offering what meager help I am able.

I know there are others who have been here far longer than I, and whose advice is superior, so I'm not always in the best position to offer help.

Goodness knows, I've had to ask for plenty of help myself.  But, what I have learned, I am willing to share, and if that helps any of my overall 'scores,' so be it; but that is not my goal.

(Although, I do notice that every time one of these threads pops up, the response of staff is simply to refer the questioner to the FAQs page, which, IMO, rather evades the issue.  They seem unwilling to acknowledge that there may be a problem with the concept, and that perhaps they should agree to have a meeting and re-think the various malleable 'accolades,' instead of just saying, 'read the FAQs.' )

1. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We are trying to concentrate our engineering efforts on new features that help authors publish better content more easily. Accolades have little impact on new viewer engagement (a Hub finding readers), traffic, or other critical functions and as such are not currently a high priority for feature development.

6. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Those of you who keep insisting you don't care, why are you driving this discussion then?

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

perhaps to try and rid HP of things that "don't drive viewer engagement," and are rather useless, and cause these issues to continue being raised....

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)