Give God a chance.

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (105 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

When has there ever been a time in any part of history where everyone, altogether has given God a chance? 

And mostly I am talking about the 10 commandment.  Period, nothing more, nothing less, no need to tell each other who is right or wrong, just 10 "seemingly" simple rules.

1. Paraglider profile image89
      Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Have you looked recently at the commandments? A few of them are simple enough - don't kill, don't steal, don't commit adultery. But others are problematic in many ways. For example, they are addressed to men only. They allow the man to have slaves. Yet the first one refers to bringing the chosen people out of Egypt, the land of slavery. So it's OK for the children of Israel to have slaves but not to be enslaved? Three out of the ten are given over to keeping the sabbath - isn't that a bit unbalanced? Really, the 10 commandments have little to do with any time, place and culture except their own.
      Maybe a better starting point would be the sermon on the mount?

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Maybe but the question I was really asking is whether there ever was a time when everyone actually did follow them?  If it did happen maybe it would be a different world.  I think sometimes things get over analyzed.

worship the creator,
        have no other god,
        don't worship statues or materials that are not alive.
        don't do something bad and say it was God.
        don't work 7 days a week, take a day off.
        honor your folks
        don't murder
        don't' commit adultry
        don't say someone did something they didn't do.
        don't compete with your neighbors.

I don't think there hard at all to follow at all because 1, no one can see God.  Testimonies that people make that they have seen God, are what we call abortions, visions, etc... but no one sees God cause you can't see God.  So... God is what is it is.

I think loyalty to what you believe God is is good but if you can't see it, then why insist that a golden statue of a donkey will help?  LOL. Plus I also tend to think this falls into the money category as well.

And then, honor your folks, don't commit adultery, don't give false testimonies, don't kill and don't be in competition with each other... and then do them and say God made you do when clearly God said not to. 

But of course so many people will say, no I don't know what I am talking about but it doesn't seem logical explained any other way to myself and it doesn't free me from anything if I took it for what others say it is but keep it to myself. 

I think people have made even a competition out of God.  So even when I read from the Bible or even repeat anything in it, some just assume I must be forcing God on others, which sorta sucks because I feel like I should be able to talk about things that make me happy.

Just like I like to hear about what makes other people happy too and I listen to them and respect other people beliefs and inside I think that when someone is good and they see the same things I see, then we really must be in the same "Spirit" no matter what you call it.

But the way you've presented them, numbers 1-4 are not meaningful to people who don't believe in any God. And numbers 5-10 are basic social good sense that don't require there to be a god (because socially conscious people understand socially responsible behaviour all by themselves!)

1. profile image0

I understand that as well but the Bible also confirms what you said.  But even you, I think, express some gratitude for the world that we live in and at times find things utterly amazing, for me, this is the feeling of God, the complex feeling that I don't know really how it all came about with any one defined reason or action or theory but that it is what it is.

And I am very under the impression that just because someone doesn't define God with the word God, that it means they are without it either.  Which is why I take to other peoples beliefs as well because it is that feeling that we share, so I think about the complexities of life and the complexities of God without having to go so far looking for answers I already know I cannot understand.

So it doesn't take away my Spirit and be wonderment of all the radical things, and thoughts and ideas that there are but emphasizes my understanding that life is short and I feel lucky to just be able to see with eyes I was given and see with the eyes that are not on my head but in my heart and in my mind. 

Anyways, I am going to the pool. smile

A sense of wonder at the cosmos is natural. For me, I try to understand as much as I can and try to resist pretending to understand what I can't. Because when you start calling everything beyond your understanding 'god', it tempts you to think you understand it and, inevitably, it limits further enquiry.

1. profile image0

Well, I don't feel like that is true for myself.  When it comes to the things I cannot understand it feels more limitless.  Because, we don't know for certain where it all comes from, it could be anything at all. 

It's like the Buddah, they don't talk about God because at times they also find that there are somethings that cannot be answered and while pondering, sometimes you fall into a limitless trap which goes around and around with no answers but encourages thought because inevitably you stumble upon something that may not have crossed your mind before but for some, these thoughts only lead to frustration and unnecessary suffering.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
                  Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So why do you feel the need to give it a name - "god" and worship that "god."

And suggest that this is the only "god" you should worship?

1. profile image0

Why do you feel the need not to?

2. Paraglider profile image89

For some, maybe. But many others are comfortable with the idea of not having answers. And sometimes we can let it rest that way and live our lives within the known. But sometimes, a little bit more of the infinity will be understood, by someone, and made public. And in that we we grow as a species. But not by making up stories, even beautiful stories. Having said that, such stories can live as art, for example Luke's shepherds. They never needed to exist to be beautiful.

2. Sufidreamer profile image77
              Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That is the good thing about scripture - it was a good life guide. In a world without newspapers and internet how do you swap information? At the pulpit/synagogue/mosque, one of the few times that the community gets together. Muslims still proclaim edicts and news from the Minbar. Readings from Holy Books reinforce certain useful cultural rules.

As an example, the Kosher and Halal laws are excellent for a hot climate - pork, for example, is notoriously full of parasites. Branding pork as unclean and taboo stops people becoming sick. The same with many of the fasting periods or cutting back on red meat occasionally- all nutritionally very good stuff.

Extending this, it is no surprise that PG's idea of social codes is found in the bible (and other religious texts), as a way of reinforcing the power of taboo, very strong in ancient cultures. In the modern context, when people try to twist this as a weapon to use against other groups, then the whole thing falls down.

Enjoy smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

And a few of us take exception to being "commanded to worship." big_smile

Next step. "I know who this god is and I was given secret messages into my head for you to follow." and around we go.........

2. RKHenry profile image62
      RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sandra that all depends on which God you're referring too.  So which is it?

3. mohitmisra profile image58
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There have been so called enlightened societies.

4. fishmox profile image60
      fishmoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can you follow each one of them ?  Faithfully ?  Day in day out, every second of your life, every circumstance in your life ?

2. packerpack profile image61
    packerpackposted 15 years ago

Can you tell me what are you talking about "10 commandments"? Are they some rules to be followed?

3. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

"have no other god,"
    Haven't you got a problem right there?

1. profile image0

Yeah, and I think the problem is in what people had defined God to be.  When the very definition was the Creator of Heaven and Earth and all that is in it.

Even from an evolutionary perspective I find myself giving thanks to whatever God actually is or how it came about, for all the really beautiful things it produced and for the miracle it made that gave way for us to survive whether by instinct or by will, only that it happens, happend and well shit, I think it is pretty cool and whatever God actually is that you can't see, it what I define God as. 

But again, I see the complications with it.

4. knolyourself profile image61

"pretty cool and whatever God actually is that you can't see, it what I define God as."
    I agree pretty cool. Think that makes you a mystic.

5. knolyourself profile image61

"I feel lucky to just be able to see with eyes "
    An undefined god would allow for an undefined appreciation of life not bound by definitive smallness.

6. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

There are communities right now in which the people who belong promise to follow the rules you list. They have problems too. As soon as you make a rule, somebody will break the rule just because you made it. That's just how people are. smile

1. BDazzler profile image77
      BDazzlerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I got it, Pam! Let's make a rule against breaking rules! big_smile

1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL! big_smile

I think that's been too, actually, but practice makes perfect!

7. profile image0

Well whatever Mark.  It is a question, it is a good one and no one can answer it because it has never been done so how can you assume that it wouldn't work. 

Despite your remote efforts to make it look like I have somehow pressured you to do something.  We can leave it as it is.  But I asked you, why you feel the need not to give it a name but it seems you don't have an answer.

Your efforts to distort things are really uncanny.  You should try something new.  It's been a year and a half and I haven't heard anything new from you yet, your starting to lose my interest. sad

But let me guess, you don't care if you have lost my interest do you, so why even respond?

I don't think you are really being fair there Sandra - I asked you a straightforward question. Why do you need to give it a name? God.

And you responded with a question.

I feel the need not to give it a name because it is not something you can know or name. Or even something that anyone truly understands. And the moment you name it you lay claim to it and you claim to understand it. And you limit ypour ability to question because you already have the answer - simple - it is god lol

You say yourself it is something you do not understand. Yet you feel the need to name it. God. Why? And it has a set of rules. Ten of them. If you would just give it a chance.

Your efforts to avoid the question are quite uncanny.

1. RKHenry profile image62
        RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mark nice pointing her out.  I get so tired of people who try to back out of what they said, instead of giving an accurate comment, assessment or theory.  Sandra is the prime example of this.  Nice.  Keep up the good work.{happy face}

1. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

RK, if you would stay away from jumping to conclusions, everybody will benefit.

2. profile image0

Well I only agree with you in that it is something that no one can truly understand.  Naming something doesn't mean you totally understand it.  Nothing was given the name Nothing but you don't understand what nothing is either but you can't see the problem there right?

But if you really can't understand it then it is no wonder your attempts to use scripture for its purpose never worked because you still can't see it.  Which is your only argument for the non existence of God.

But you don't even know what God is and you don't know what people are talking about and at least I try to understand what people are talking about;  but you will insist that you do.  Your logic isn't logical either but you defend what you believe and others defend what they believe and I just like all of them all but when it comes to you...

You already told me that you despise any religion and God altogether and you intentionally ridicule people who believe in God just because you think it is stupid or because of what it has done in the past or what you believe it does.

I think that is unfair because you are basing everything other people say about God against what you believe only and there is no other way and essentially you do exactly the same thing.

I don't tell people what to believe, I tell people what I believe, there is a difference but you tell people what to believe and you also tell people they are stupid for believing anything other than what you believe.

You are so one sided and you make your self sound really good and morally correct and stuff but then you just plain don't like people and intentionally hurt them knowing you can and you think it is good and you think you have justification for it.  You are just like everyone else too. 

And while not everyone likes each other, not everyone targets groups like prey with the intentions of hurting them and you love this and think it is ok. 

Anyways...

Come on - stop attacking me and answer the question please.

Yes - I ridicule people who say they know. Yes - I ridicule people who say they have a set of rules for me. Yes - I despise religion. Just read a history book to know why.

And you have not said what you believe. You are dancing around the question I posed.

If you had said instead "Why can't we all just get along?" I would not be asking this question, because it is the same question I ask myself.

1. profile image0

I did answer the question if you bother to read more clearly without the distraction of being out to intentionally ridicule people and the why can't we all get along is because while one group is trying to get along or I am trying to get along... along comes you who purposefully tries not to get along. 

Why you can't see it is beyond me but attack you nothing.  If stating the very things you have said over and over again is attacking you in your own words then don't say them at all but you insist you have the right, then so do I. 

And don't stop short of "Yes, I ridicule people who say they know."  because I already said I don't know everything and you still do it.

Nope - looked back through the thread and still don't see an answer.

So - Why do you feel the need to call whatever it is that you do not understand, "god"?

1. profile image0

That is your answer to the question "Why do you feel the need to name it god"?

But - I think you are wrong. The moment you give it a name, you claim it. You understand it. You know what it wants. And it has a set of rules - which you conveniently listed for us.

Not that you understand it wink

1. profile image0

not that you understand it either wink

2. Make  Money profile image66
              Make Moneyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You have describe Mark to a tee Sandra.  He can't seem to understand that what he seems to despise in Christians and other religious people, he is doing himself with his own atheist belief.  That is why some of us have been calling Mark's belief a religion.  He is more zealous with his atheist belief than most religious people.  You have become what you despise Mark.  You are the preacher now and no one is going to tell you any different.  Can you see the double standard?  If you see what you think as preaching in these Religion forums don't think it is directed to you personally Mark, it isn't.  There's no need to get defensive.

8. knolyourself profile image61

In Taoism I believe they call it that which cannot be named and that which is without form.

9. Quilligrapher profile image72
    Quilligrapherposted 15 years ago

Every person alive lives in their own "world".  One that has been defined by their own perceptions and experiences.  One person  says "I live in a world where there is a God."  Another person says "I live in a world where there is no god."    They are both correct and neither will ever fully understand the world that the other is living in.

1. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Now that is very well put!!!big_smile

10. Jewels profile image84
    Jewelsposted 15 years ago

Anything I can't understand I say it's because I haven't become conscious of it. I don't say it must be God.  I use words like wondrous or mysterious.  Even when experiencing high states of consciousness wherein the sensation is so beautiful the word beautiful doesn't describe it,  I don't say it's God, I say it's me opening more and more to a higher state of consciousness and there is no sense of not being in the process.

So are you using a different language perhaps for similar experiences?  When I spend hours staring at the stars it makes me feel awesome, but I don't say God did that.  I opened to the wonder that is the stars.

I don't need to follow rules to have these experiences, I seriously don't.

1. mohitmisra profile image58
      mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Super conscious states are not the same as Krishna or Christ conscious states or being one with God. There is a huge difference.smile

1. Jewels profile image84
        Jewelsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

In which case mohitmisra, no-one dare understand the concept of God as you speak of it.  To be one with God means you are not likely to come back to talk about it.  It means to be in Union, which means you are no longer in duality. 

Please understand that I also am not talking about Super conscious states when I'm talking about high states of consciousness.  If you define Super conscious states as being one with God, then we don't speak the same language. Which is what I was attempting to get across here - language.  Language gives something tangibility.  I never spoke of Super conscious states, I said higher states of consciousness.  There are a myriad of levels, and humbly I have not experienced the Super one you are mentioning here. 

I think I addressed this same thing to you previously.  I have not been 'trained' in your tradition, nor have you in mine so our language differs.

Its the meaning of enlightenment- merging with god and then coming back like the Buddha, Mahavira, Jesus ,Guru Nanak etc.

Super conscious - higher conscious states - same thing. smile

In your tradition it is perhaps, but higher states of consciousness can be attained without enlightenment.  So we are not speaking the same language.

We have had this conversation before.

I never said higher states of consciousness cannot be attained without enlightenment.Have had many super conscious experiences where I became the size of galaxies and it was a very happy state ,have played with the wind and rain  but enlightenment is it.Very different state and the bliss there is. much much more than a super conscious state.
              smile

Good to hear you've had the experiences, aren't they wondrous and mysterious smile

Yes magical smile I read one mystic who said the greatest high one can get is when one is playing with the elements like the wind and rain  - tuning into nature- its very true. smile

11. profile image0

I guess the example of "nothing" being named "nothing" wasn't understood.

I think PG and Mo get it but "nothing" (is) "void" (it) doesn't even exist but (it) does in that we call it "nothing".  It's like an absolute term for something that you couldn't "know" but can come as close to understanding it as you possibly can. nothing  = void, non existent, zero, blank or...

Absolute, whole, perfect, unchanging, unfaltering, everything = All and All is the absolute perfection which also includes everything void or nothing.

God = Absolute and Nothing, with and without.  So call it whatever you want to call it but I call it God as defined by the definition of Alpha and Omega, beginning and end etc.., which does not "exclude anything", it's a conundrum... which can be absolutely void or non existent to an Atheist like Mark, or a Rationalist like PG but yet, you still use the word "god" and its been written and defined in many ways already even on this thread.

So Mark, even though this second answer to your question wont suit you either, I didn't feel the need to give it a name, it was already given one.

Just keep seeking Sandra these obstacles will only make you stronger. smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

lol

I did not ask you for a definition of the word "god". I have my own definition of the word god which is pretty different to yours and the religionists. But if you are saying now that you have converted and it no longer irritates you that the muslims say your jesus was not the son of god, then fine.

Just explain to them that when you say god what you mean is everything nothing and the name means nothing and the alpha and omega that is one and all and nothing, and I am sure they will agree that your jesus is the sun of god. big_smile

But thanks for the massively clear explanation of what god is.

What I asked you was why you need to give it a name? And why you use the name "god":

Which I am sure will upset you again but still - I think it is a straightforward enough question.

I am also keen to know where this "void, non existent, zero, blank or...Absolute, whole, perfect, unchanging, unfaltering, everything" with the name nothing, got the ten commandments from that you kindly listed and asked if anyone had ever given a chance?

You know - worship this "void, non existent, zero, blank or...Absolute, whole, perfect, unchanging, unfaltering, everything" with no name," to the exclusion of all other "void, non existent, zero, blank or...Absolute, whole, perfect, unchanging, unfaltering, everything"s with no name.

But just for convenience, we will use the word "god" big_smile

And the other nine.?

Mark remember I said I had written the modern day Bible and you were very kind to put it as a link.Check this out.

http://find.franklin.com/nav/ca/spiritu … /ebooks/24

Good for you Mohit smile

smile thank you once again smile

2. Paraglider profile image89

I'll second that. Way to go!  smile

Thank you Paraglider smile

2. profile image0

Why do you feel the need to define something you don't believe exist?  Are you saying that your definition of God is right and All other name are wrong?  I think if you have your own definition of the God that does not exist then you should find another name for it.  Or did it bother you that the definition of God also includes your own?

And for the 3rd time answering your question:  "I didn't feel the need to give it a name, it was already given one." 

But now I wonder why you feel the need to have your own definition of God when you said it doesn't exist?

The figment of scared people's imaginations...... lol

A political tool to use on weak-minded people. lol

Take your pick. wink

1. profile image0

Is this your answer?  Why not just answer the question?  Is this a figment of scared people's imaginations...A political tool to use on weak-minded people? 

Take your pick. wink

Both smile

1. profile image0

Still not answering the question? smile

lol

Whatever you say. I thought I answered pretty clearly. Perhaps if I provided a burning bush and allowed you to "interpret" the answer it would be more clear?

1. profile image0

Or perhaps you wont answer the question because doing so would be to further acknowledge that God does exist and contrary to what you say.

12. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Mark, for a sake of clarity, do you mind repeating your answer once again here? Together with the question, as you read it? It hurts reading back through all that sandbox to find the answer that you gave...

"why you feel the need to have your own definition of God when you said it doesn't exist?"

I have tried unsuccessfully to explain to Sandra the use of words as a way of communicating.

And that when people use the word "god" I need to come up with a definition of the word they are using because there is no such thing as god. So, my definition of the word is:

"A political tool to control weak minded people," or "A figment of a scared person's imagination."

Which according to Sandra means I now believe in god smile

Because once you believe in god, it is inconceivable that some else does not. So she has been badgering me to explain why I need to use a definition for something that does not exist.

A bit like the fact that there would be no atheists if it wasn't for the religionists insisting there is a god. I wouldn't need to say there isn't.......

So, I feel the need to define it in a way that makes sense to me.  And those definitions are the best I can come up with.

Which was all a ruse to avoid answering my question as to why she needs to use the word god. big_smile

But like all good christians she responded - "It is not my word, so I don't feel the need to accept responsibility for using it."

13. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

So, basically the question was - why do you need to have a definition to something that does not exist for you? And the answer - cause you need to communicate to other people...

Makes sense to me smile

Makes sense to me too, and fits in with what I was trying to explain about using a word that has different meanings for everyone who uses it. big_smile

1. profile image0

And the word intentionally has many different meanings which is what I have been unsuccessfully trying to explain to you.  But you don't want to acknowledge it because to do so would be acknowledging God does exist which you have successfully communicated when you said you have your own definition of "god" which is completely different from mine or other religionist.

but you insist that your definition is right and I insist that they are all neither right or wrong and PG insist that they cannot be all right.

And Sandra doesn't insist you believe in God, she insist that every time you use the word you acknowledge the existence which doesn't play well when insisting God does not exist. 

Especially when you already said you have your own definition of god.  If God really didn't exist to you then you wouldn't talk about it at all.

lol

I acknowledge the existence of the word "god" - Three letters, starting with "g", ending with "d" and an "o" in the middle. That is about as far as it goes. What that word means to you me or my pet goldfish is an entirely different matter.

Especially as you are unable to define what you mean by the word.

First of all it is something with a set of ten rules that you listed, then it is something that gave you it's only son, called jesus, and it irritates you that muslims do not agree with you.

Then it became nothing and everything alpha and omega whateva.

Me - I am a big fan of clear communication. 

And you are being deliberately obtuse for some reason.

Does it irritate you that I do not believe in your god? big_smile

1. profile image0

no but it does irritate you to the extent that you chose to ridicule, poke fun, make accusations, insight hate between Muslims and Christians because you believe that you have everything figured out.

Does it irritate you the the you can't claim God as your own definition as defined souly by yourself and that other people do not accept your definition as their own but give credit to God?

I think it does and what ever conditions of "hate", "dislike", "resentment", "anger" you have for other people based on a belief in God is something that you have to work out on your own instead of pouring it out on others who did nothing to you.

It's not my fault that you just don't like the idea of God or that you cannot explain what you mean clear enough for everyone to understand.  And it isn't my fault that God was a name given to express everything and nothing and the things you cannot understand.

It's not my fault that you feel somehow threatened by the acknowledgment of Gods existence and it is obvious that you have an issue with keeping your thoughts and opinions to yourself yet you want others if they believe in God to shut up.

But no one blames you for anything you didn't do but for the things you yourself has done. But because people give credit to God because they got their understandings and happiness from it, that maybe because you are not happy, you hate that you haven't seen it and therefore it must not exist.

Certainly it seems that because you hold yourself on a pedistool that if there was a God he wouldn't shown Himself to you so it irritates and frustrates you that He hasn't.  Maybe part of the reason it never happened for you is because in your heart you love hurtful things and take pleasure at the expense of others.

And I think that is very sad.

Do you pity me?  lol

And the only thing I seem to insight hate towards is me. smile

But thanks for the incite. big_smile

1. profile image0

And are you blaming me or anyone else for insighting hate towards yourself?  No one ever said they hate you but you insist that because I believe in God and we are different that it must be that I hate you. 

You keep choosing for yourself what people think of you.  It's not problem with other people, it's a problem with yourself.  No one said they hated you. 

Pitty is a word I use for things that cannot love.

I suggest you stop now before it gets really silly. The great thing about these forums is everything you say is written down - for all to read.

1. profile image0

I know. wink

2. Make  Money profile image66
                    Make Moneyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You are making a lot of sense these days Sandra.

This should be in the 'Leave us alone' thread.

14. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Your Majesty, may I suggest that may be - just may be - god (as defined by other people) exists to Mark to the extent those people are talking about it (him? her? whateva!) and trying to shove it down his throat? Would it answer your question? smile

15. Williamjordan profile image59
    Williamjordanposted 15 years ago

This a wonderful place to Give God a chance God has been so instrumental my life that I can not stop giving him chances he cured me of the illness of Alcoholism gave me anew life and has allowed me to be a man of renewed strength not only am I willing to give him a chance I feel compelled to encourage others to give him a chance.God is great and his plans for lives are wonderful and why past what we deserve God is my hero. And the people God has place in my life are champions. Godcan and will if we seek him.

16. bennyjet profile image60
    bennyjetposted 14 years ago

A long time ago a man was sent to 3arth school...
    jOSEPH and the techno coloured coat..Joseph was sent out into the wilderness to tend to his fathers flock.
    The ten brOTHERS who turned on Joseph,Are the ten commandments that were not honoured and met by Humanity.The techno coloured coat are the Creeds and Races that represent Humanity!!!
    Benjiman the youngest brOTHER was to young....and had to stay home....BUT Now...
    I AM here to collect the COAT!!!

17. bgpappa profile image78
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

Huh?

As to the original post, I would rather follow George Carlin's simplification of the ten commandments; be honest and faithful to thy giver of nookie and try not to kill anyone.

Other than that, Carlin says the others are not needed.

Be honest and faithful, and try not to kill.  Easy to follow.  Oh, and Carlin's last commandment,

Keep thy religion to yourself.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)