The Care and Feeding of Your HubPages Account

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (45 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

[This is an old post of mine that I have just deleted from another site. I figured there might be some worthwhile stuff here for newbies, nothing more. Make of it what you will. big_smile]

The care and feeding of your HP account. Just some random thoughts for fellow Hubbers.

Drop by your Q&A. Got some old questions with few answers and zero traffic in the last 30 days? Delete them.

Sort your hub stats changed-column so as to bring the oldest non-changed hubs to the top. Go look at that oldest hub. It is guaranteed you will find something there you will want to edit. Repeat this process whenever so inclined.

Only do one ad in each Amazon and eBay capsule.

Do not send evil emails to the moderators.

Check out that new Styles Tip thingy in the upper-right of your hub when in edit mode. Implement those suggestions you don’t vehemently disagree with.

Do not scatter self-promotional links to your outside websites/blogs across your entire subdomain. If HP discovers that, bad things happen.

Avoid excessive use of bolding and italicizing in your hubs. And this is as good a time as any about not doing that keyword-stuffing thing.

Do not repeatedly pick on HP in the forums. Criticisms appear to be fine. But continued outright accusations is not a good idea.

Is the text too small when you are editing one of your hubs? And your vision is tired or not that great to begin with? Do ctrl+ to make everything look bigger; can repeat more than once. It will really help in keeping your hubs from looking like a shambles when you are done editing them. Ctrl0(zero) resets back to normal.

Keep up on the HP blog posts. Keep up on the blue-background forum posts. Telling someone to read the entire FAQ and Learning Center is kind of cruel; the thing is an encyclopedia. However, the HP search function, located at upper-left on most pages, is pretty darn good. There are two steps to it. First, do your search term in the search box. Then, to avail yourself of the entire FAQ and Learning Center, look to the right where it says “Scope your search...” and select “Help”. This will almost always give you whatever information HubPages has on your query.

And last, but not least. Get and learn how to use a Webmasters Tool account. That way you can partially find out what Google thinks of you. And in some cases be able to do what’s needed to fix the problem.

Do you have a care and feeding tip? Would love to hear about it. Beginner. Intermediate. Advanced.

1. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

great advice, i think i need to reshuffle the hubs from old to new

paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm going on a major updating spree come January. Goggle wants fresh content? Fine, I'll give them fresh content. big_smile

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Goggle????  Too funny!

2. Niko Linni profile image78
        Niko Linniposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I went through and heck just even gave my hubs new descriptions and I noticed a small jump in hits for a few days. Course I haven't been posting any new hubs so eh, that didn't keep going...but still!

2. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Some great tips, especially about the text too small one - that really is helpful.
      Thank you

Personally, I'd be doomed without that ctrl+ browser feature.

3. ologsinquito profile image83
      ologsinquitoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Very good advice. I didn't know about the sorting option either.

Also check out the filter, it is wondrous. big_smile

4. William Sinclair profile image59
      William Sinclairposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good tips, as a relative newbie, they will probably be most valuable to me.

5. Elsie Hagley profile image71
      Elsie Hagleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this, I will be back and following through on this Forum post.
      I didn't even know the questions we asked were saved, until now, learnt something new today.
      Wished there were a few more hours in a day. smile

6. Joyfulcrown profile image55
      Joyfulcrownposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am newer so I really appreciated the tips.  Thank you.

7. TCoote profile image63
      TCooteposted 9 years agoin reply to this

These are nice tips! i'm a Newbie myself just started a few hours ago and so far I like it smile

8. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

About the only thing I managed to accomplish was to go in and close ALL of my questions.  None of them were terribly new, and no new answers I figured was equal to no traffic.

9. Hicks Days profile image56
      Hicks Daysposted 9 years agoin reply to this

nice, thanks for the share smile

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

These are great tips.  Worth remembering and implementing.

Thanks. I'm feeling unusually optimistic about year 2015. And Q is looking somewhat better since the design change, https://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com?country=US

3. aesta1 profile image90
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

Great summary for me. There are some things I haven't checked out yet of the HP features but will be on it. I only started following the forum here in HP. I am learning a lot.

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

I have no clue about Webmaster Tools.  I've heard of it, and that is all.

I have tried to use analytics, and it makes little sense to me.

Do you by chance have a Hub explaining WT, Paradigmsearch?

Alas, no. Sounds like a great hub topic though, doesn't it? Unfortunately, anything written on the subject will be obsolete every 6 months because of Google always changing everything.

Hopefully this link works, https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home?hl=en Just mess around with it from time to time when you are in the mood. smile

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Okay--I don't even know how to begin.  It says first, to enter your site name.  I presume that is my HP subdomain URL, correct?
        Then it says to follow these steps:
        1. Download this HTML verification file. [google ..... html]
        2. Upload the file to http:// (my subdomain).HPcom/
        3. Confirm successful upload by visiting http://......com/google....... html in your browser.  (I eliminated the middles of the codesfor display here, just in case those are 'personalized' or 'hackable' ...)
        4. Click Verify below.
        To stay verified, don't remove the HTML file, even after verification succeeds.

What?  Where?  How do we upload anything to HP, since it isn't really "our" personal site?  Where do you put that stuff?  Or can you even do so? 
        It's telling you to 'verify ownership of a site,' even on the "alternate methods" tab.

I'm stuck and stumped before I start.  I'm just not enough of a techie/computer geek!  LOL

1. lbrummer profile image95
          lbrummerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

DzyMsLizzy, did you ever figure out how to do this?  I looked at the link and I'm with you about how hard it is to understand. I'd sure like to know how to do this, but it would be nice if the instructions were easier to follow.  Maybe I'm just not computer literate enough to "get it."

No--I did not figure it out.  I never got an answer/explanation from anyone who understands this better than I, so I just didn't bother with it any more.
            I'm not much more than a computer user--I am pretty clueless about any of the technical stuff.  I do well to manage to keep the machine running with de-fragging, cache-clearing and other such basic maintenance tasks.  As for any kind of programming, or the whole 'workings of the web,' I'm stumped.

1. colorfulone profile image78
              colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Liz, here is one hub I just found on How to Install and Use Google Webmaster Tools - Made Easy  http://askjoanne.hubpages.com/hub/How-t … ster-Tools

There is a lot of information on the WWW if you Google it.

Thanks--I just looked at that--did a quick browse-through for starters, and I found this caveat:
                "In order to manage a domain, you must have a certain access level in order to be able to verify your ownership of the site. The types of access required include; being able to change a DNS record, link to a Google Analytics account, Uploading an HTML file to your server or Adding a Meta tag to your site's home page."

Uh--we don't have any of those kinds of advanced-level permission here on HP.... those would be admin-level permissions.  sad

Sign into your Analytics Account.

Then proceed to create a WMT account.

WMT will be aware you are signed into your Analytics Account and let you create a WMT account.

5. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

Thanks, Para. I closed four old questions I still had open.

I think I had over a 100 of those critters at one time. I am now down to 15. Come to think of it, I haven't seen an ad click from that directory in a long time. Oh, well.

6. paradigmsearch profile image60

Yes.

Yep, I just went thru that same mess a short time ago with one of my new subdomains. Somewhere in those tabs is an option to verify your subdomain by using/referring to your corresponding Analytics account. I went that route and it worked. smile

7. DrMark1961 profile image97
    DrMark1961posted 9 years ago

Unfortunately this forum post is going to be lost among your others, and these suggestions are useful and should be read by those just starting out, for a long time to come. You should think about writing a hub on this and putting it among your "highlighted hubs" so that others can find it.
    I know that it is only going to be read by hubbers, and thus you will not make much money off it, but the info provided by Marisa, Relache, and Writer Fox is not enough. We could use your input.
    Thanks for considering this. (I went and deleted an old question too!)

[Bolding was done by me.]

Thanks for the compliments, guys. But I'm pretty sure that if I were to take up the role of providing regular "input", I'd get viciously attacked again by a certain one of the aforementioned. lol

I'm content as I am. Besides, I've got lots of industrious activities planned for year 2015.  smile

8. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 9 years ago

These are good suggestions especially deleting old questions. I didn't give them much thought until now.
    I am going to check out the webmaster tools,even though it intimidates me a little. wink

9. LongTimeMother profile image91
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

Hello paradigm. You've offered some great tips!

My care and feeding tip for new hubbers would be to take care to switch on the copyright notice (under 'display' when editing). It is helpful to mention a copyright notice is displayed on the page when filing DMCAs. smile

10. lbrummer profile image95
    lbrummerposted 9 years ago

Thanks for the tip, LongTimeMother.  This is the newest "Guess what I learned today," that makes Hubbing easier. I really appreciate this thread. Now to go put into practice what I've learned!

11. Tammy Cramblett profile image67
    Tammy Cramblettposted 9 years ago

Thanks for the great tips paradigm! LongTimeMother, I never even gave the copyright notice a thought! I'm glad you brought that up smile

12. 1701TheOriginal profile image93
    1701TheOriginalposted 9 years ago

I never knew about the Webmaster Tools, so I checked it out. After using the data highlighter, my site saw a 50% increase in traffic. Your post saved my hubpages!

13. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

. . . And this, my HP friend, is why you are the reigning Forum King. Excellent, concise, and helpful tips. Thank you.

14. sachin001 profile image34
    sachin001posted 9 years ago

I am really new to HP forums. And surely your nice tips are going to help me out in improving some of my hubs.

15. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 9 years ago

Some good ideas here; thanks!  I have never really understood Webmaster.  When I write a new Hub, I go there and enter the URL as a new site, and it says it will be "managed", but I don't really know what that means.

I think the copyright feature is a good one. It took me a long time to find it under "display options", though.

I will go and close my old questions now.

1. Bazaar Compass profile image60
      Bazaar Compassposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the great advice! I am new to Hub Pages so I found your tips to be super helpful.

16. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

Thank you for the tips. You are kind to write this out to help others.

17. Hicks Days profile image56
    Hicks Daysposted 9 years ago

Thanks for the tip, it surely helpful for a newbie like me smile

18. paradigmsearch profile image60

This one cracked me up.

http://data2.whicdn.com/images/159798505/large.jpg

19. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 9 years ago

I liked this and I'm a newbie so I understand it.

20. aesta1 profile image90
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

I just checked out a hub that has not been updated since 2010. We're now in 2015. I think that these hubs have to be flagged especially when many have difficulties having their hubs published these days.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)