who noticed the changes on the hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (58 posts)
  1. amine-sehibi profile image67
    amine-sehibiposted 8 years ago

I have to say I like the changes made on the hubs, all what HP needs now is that " back to the top" button.

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I was just going to mention this!  I do too!  social sharing media buttons at top left and the more by this author with the links to a few hubs - much better I think smile

amine-sehibiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Way better christin, way better.

2. Au fait profile image85
        Au faitposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There are no social sharing buttons on my own hubs or on anyone else's that I have opened.  There are totally gone.

1. Writer Fox profile image33
          Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I had to reduce the page size 67% to see them!

1. Matthew Meyer profile image70
            Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

As Marina mentioned here, it is likely due to a low resolution display.
            http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2732220

The cut-off (minimum width in pixels) to see the social media buttons is 1100.
            A 1024x768 pixel display, for example, will not show the social media buttons, but they will show on a display 1440x835 pixels.

Let us know if you are not seeing them on a display that is 1100+ pixels wide.

Make sure that you have not zoomed into the page.

1. Au fait profile image85

I have a 13" MAC book.

2. Au fait profile image85

When I expand the window as wide as it will go the buttons show up.  Thanks for resolving this.

No social buttons when viewing hubs on my Samsung sV.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image70

Social media and other sharing functionality is included on all major mobile browsers, so we made a decision some time ago to not render these buttons on mobile.

In Chrome, for example, you can find the share option by clicking the stacked triple dots icon and then "share".
                  http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12389575_f248.jpg
                  http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12389572_f248.jpg

Was able to pin it on Pinterest with my phone, but there's no way to share it with followers on HubPages. You don't have an app.

2. ChristinS profile image39

I see them on the left - so I would maybe mention it to staff.  I see them just fine on every hub I've visited.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image70

Marina posted an announcement here that links to the blog post.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2732173

thanks for the link.

2. profile image0
        SirDentposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have checked out my hubs and others also.  I have yet to find the share buttons anywhere.  Where did they go?  I am using Google Chrome browser and Mozilla Firefox also.  Checked when signed in and signed out also.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and I read the blog.  Unfortunately, I am not seeing those social network buttons referred to.

They are on the left hand side up top - at least they are on mine.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image76
    CatherineGiordanoposted 8 years ago

I just noticed that the "Related Hubs" have changed along with "More by the author" section. I will assume HP knows what they are doing.  Now the more by author hubs don't have pictures. I liked having the pictures because I always try to make my pictures be something that draws the reader in. I would really like at least thumbnail pictures. How can taking the pictures away be a good thing?

Hey that thumbnail picture point is correct , but the hub looks better now ( well in my opinion better) .

2. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have noticed that too. At least a thumbnail pictures of our hubs should be there. The "last" and "next" hubs are gone  and changed to Recommended hubs of the other authors. I think the hubs of other authors are more represented than our own, I don´t like this much.

1. mary615 profile image82
        mary615posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thelma, I have to agree with you on this.

3. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
      Marina Lazarevicposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We received a lot of feedback that the old "More by the Author" design looked too much like an ad. We tried adding little thumbnails next to each of the three titles, but it looked really bad below the author image and made the area feel very cluttered .

1. sallybea profile image95
        sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It now looks unfinished in my humble opinion.

CatherineGiordanoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The more by the author looks terrible. Why can't they be done the same way as the Related Hubs are done?

The look of the bubs was just revamped only 1 or 2 months ago.  Why make a radical change again?

I think HP should set up a panel of long-time successful hubbers and get feedback before changing everything.

I know things on the internet change and HP has to keep up but is this too much of a good thing? (or maybe bad thing.)

3. Judy Filarecki profile image70
        Judy Filareckiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I really like the way the new page looks. I'm glad to see more Hus of mine listed. Nice job!

3. Writer Fox profile image33
    Writer Foxposted 8 years ago

This is absolutely dreadful. I've now got spam links at the very top of some Hubs to my other Hubs which are not even remotely related, my 'last' and 'next' Hubs in groups are gone, the 'Related Hubs' section comes high on the page on longer Hubs (and some of these are not remotely relevant either), there are three more 'Recommended Hubs' where my own group Hubs used to be, and I have to reduce the font size 67% to even see the social sharing links or the ads on the right.

1. CatherineGiordano profile image76

I have noticed some of the same problems. I was looking for the social media buttons and it took me a few minutes to find them.  I don't think they should be on the left. I want them where someone will notice them and spontaneously decide to share. I don't think a non-hubber would ever share with the buttons where there are now.

2. sallybea profile image95

I agree I hate the changes.
      In my Turn on the Charm with this Easy DIY Felt Necklace Hub,  I do not have one of my own felting hubs featured and even the recommended reading contains writing which is completely unrelated.  What have crystals and wood decking go to do with felting.

3. Marina Lazarevic profile image76

What do you mean that your next and last groups are gone? This sounds like it might be a bug. Could you please post a link to a Hub where you should have links to Previous/Next Hubs but don't? Thanks!

1. Judy Filarecki profile image70

I have the same problem; no Previous/Next Hubs. Here is the Hub link
        http://judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/hub/h … ersion-van

1. Judy Filarecki profile image70

I just checked other ones, and none of them have it.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image76

This is a bug. We're working on it! I'll post an update to my original post in the announcement thread when it's fixed.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
        Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have no Previous / Next and no social sharing buttons on any of my hubs that I have checked.

http://phyllisdoyle.hubpages.com/hub/Fl … d-meanings

Also - can we just drop the Related Hubs and Recommended Hubs? This can draw readers away from finishing our hub they came to read. Those two sections are very distracting. "Recommended Hubs" is like saying "don't finish this hub and check out these hubs". I do NOT like that.

4. Lady Lorelei profile image85
    Lady Loreleiposted 8 years ago

Wow love the new design and it is so much more author and visitor friendly. B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L love it.

5. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 8 years ago

Boy, I go out shopping for a while and when I come back I think I am on the wrong site!  Oh, well.  I can see the share buttons OK, but I do miss the "more from this author" now just links to the Hub.  Guess we will get used to these new changes, right??

6. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 8 years ago

We always do... and then they change it. I do think it is good to experiment now and then, just to see what works better.

The way to experiment is to create two panels, randomly selected. One group get the changes; the other does not. After a couple of weeks, you look to see if there are significant difference in views between the two groups. I don't think the changes were tested. If they were, I'd like to see the results of the test.

2. colorfulone profile image79
      colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So far, we are seeing some positive signs in views. $

7. clivewilliams profile image71
    clivewilliamsposted 8 years ago

nice job hubpages

8. TheGutterMonkey profile image91
    TheGutterMonkeyposted 8 years ago

I do agree that thumbnails next to the related articles would be handy (it's what our gone-but-not-forgotten Squidoo did, and it worked great). But other than that, though, I'm all in with the changes — and greatly appreciate that more of my articles are advertised on each page. Now if only we could get a Table of Contents module so I can stop having to make my own; it's so tedious of a procedure!

9. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 8 years ago

In addition to everything I see discussed in this thread, I also noticed that the last update date has be removed. I actually like that this was done because in my opinion that was misleading. I, for one, update my hubs often to keep up with Google changes, such as the latest mobile friendliness requirements. So that date always made it look like I just wrote it. I'm glad that has been removed.

As for the change to the "more by this author" section: At first I thought the loss of the image was a bad thing. But after giving it more thought, I think the new method of showing three titles is better. Before it was just one hub with a huge image. Now it shows the reader three of our hubs as alternatives to be read. In my opinion I think this will improve readership over time. One thing we all need to do, however. And that is to be sure our titles "pull in" the reader.

Finally, I also noticed that the last and next of our own hubs that we grouped has been replaced with a last and next section powered by Google that lists other hubs as well. But I also found Marina's post stating that this is a bug that will be fixed. I hope the use of our own grouping is put back, otherwise there is no advantage of creating groups.

EDIT: I just noticed that the update date was not removed as I had thought. It was just moved to the top of the hub. But for some reason it looks better there, I think because it clearly says "Last Updated" now. If my memory serves me, I don't recall it saying that before.

We used to have three of our hubs featured on every page--one on the side and two smaller ones on the bottom. I fail to see how titles in tiny type on a grey background will attract more readers than a picture. I take a lot of trouble to make sure my first picture is bright, attractive, and motivating. A picture is worth a 1000 words. Bring back the pictures.

I can see your point to an extent, however the way it was before the pictures just blended in with the other ads and probably cost us clicks.  I think we should try it this way for awhile and see what happens - I have a sneaking suspicion it may actually lead people to click on more of our stuff rather than less. 

High quality images are definitely a plus for social media for sure, but I'm not sure they helped all that much in the sidebar.   Time will tell I guess smile.  I would think if this doesn't produce results, they will change it back again (hopefully).

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Catherine, I happen to agree with you that a picture is worth 1000 words. But what I was referring to was that the use of a good title also attracts attention and has a strong advantage.  Also, I know that we had three hubs listed. The two at the bottom are based on our groups. There was only one at the top. Now we have three titles listed at the top. It will be interesting to see how well that works. I don't know if this will work. Time will tell. I have nothing against experimenting.

By the way, the two at the bottom that are based on our groups are not there now due to a bug. But Marina said it will be fixed.

Thanks Glenn

2. colorfulone profile image79

Glad I read your explanation, Glenn. I was debating on manually adding related hubs to hubs.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97

I do that. I use a subtitle such as "More on this topic" in a link capsule at the end of a hub. I also examine the "Behavior Flow" in Google Analytics to see how well people follow those links as they read additional hubs.

1. colorfulone profile image79

Hey, what the heck...it's something to do. 

Will it give us all a Hubberscore of 100 though? (wink)

I assure you it's just temporary. LOL. You just happened to catch me at 100 at the moment.

Can we do that ourselves?  Could you enlarge on that for me, please.

See my last post above. That answers your question.

Just type the names of your other hubs into a capsule, highlight the name and use the link button with the url of the hub.

Oh, just as a normal link, not a picture as they currently are on the right-hand side. I was somehow hoping to influence the links on some of my pages.  In one hub, I don't have one of my own hubs featured except for the more by author three hubs.  The rest are all other author's work.

Will do, thank you, Catherine and Glenn

3. colorfulone profile image79

I found that post about the hub group being a bug and should be fixed soon.
          http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2732466

Will wait a bit then and see what pans out.

1. colorfulone profile image79

It'll be okey, Sally. Would be nice to have those wet felt group hubs featured like you had them once again.

Thanks colorfulone

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)