Does it embarrass you to suffer from a mental illness?

Jump to Last Post 251-298 of 298 discussions (929 posts)
  1. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

Hi Jen.  I love the "other" thread.  How goes it?  Did you get enough sleep last night?  Did you see the comment I made about your daughter?  If not, I could never say what's in my heart.  Some friends of ours lost their daughter in a tragic car crash a year and a half ago.  I witnessed the pain of that.  I just can't find the words, I truly cannot.  I am deeply sorry.

1. wyanjen profile image70
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aww, thanks. smile
      It really is difficult for me to put that out there. I don't like to create drama. But, being able to talk about it even in a forum if not in "real life" yet really does help me out. I'm getting some of those memories back. They are not all kind ones, but I'm doing my best with it. smile

I'm boycotting my class reunion this year. In part, because I get very uncomfortable around people who have children and also because when I get asked if I have kids myself, I just go blank and speechless. I can't even think of an answer for that question.
      yuck.

1. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

There's no way I can ever understand, I know that.  I do, and have, attempted (fecklessly) to put myself in your shoes after the death of our friends' daughter.  I thought about them 24/7 and what they must be going through each and every minute of the day.  I couldn't even sleep (can you believe that?).  No way could I even go NEAR the real experience in my mind.  So, all I can offer is HUGE CYBER HUGS.

Hi Lorlie, figment and welcome, sweetandsassy.  Where's BC these days?  I miss her.  And Sara, too. 

PS: I'm here, but in and out (like a burger lol ) because horror of all horrors I'm working on a grueling hub.

lol LMAO
          A grueling horror hub?
          You're not writing a sequel to Saw, are you?

I'll take any hugs I can get. It means that I'm not in total denial that it ever happened in the first place.
          But - stop trying to put yourself in these shoes. It is a trigger! Cut it out! LOL
          Also, there are ways of coping with it that a person couldn't understand until they are actually facing it, not simply imagining what it would be like. You could imagine for yourself the worst aspects of it, but you would miss the little things that your brain does to help you get through it.

Reality puts a person in that place. But it is not your reality. So, don't try to go there. I think I can speak for your friends, too.
          smile

Thanks so much for your support. Actually, I had a new "missing memory" pop up this morning. It's tricky to find the balance between ignoring and denying this, or letting it completely consume me. I wonder all the time, how do people who DON'T have mental issues deal with this?????
          It's time for me to put it away again though.

Where ARE Sara and BC? Up to no good I hope!

2. sweetandsassy38 profile image60
    sweetandsassy38posted 14 years ago

Dealing with a mental illness is like suffering from asthma or lupus. You go through a lot of cycles and upheavals with mental disorders. My suffering is sometimes tramautic and leaves me frustrated. Counseling has helped me deal with some of my problems that I deal with on a daily basis. Medication is my lifeline to help me cope, without it I doubt that I could cope as well. I am not embarrassed by my mental issues at all. I am not ashamed or try to hide it from anyone. I am constantly talking about it to others and how to live my life as I used to before the illness got worse.

welcome to our little club, sweetandsassy
      smile

3. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

Hey there, ladies and gents!  And especially sweetandsassy-it's kinda strange to be new, but feel at home.  We have not been known to bite...promise! lol

4. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

hi everybody, going to try and sleep, y'all have a good evening

cheers
    big_smile

sleep good Kimberly smile
      sweet dreams.........

5. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

L
    M
    A
    O

wordscribe, I see your new hub. It's 4 AM where I am, and I just finished my own.
    It's too bad we can't control the world's clocks. I'd like to get more than a few hours of sleep tonight lol lol

1. profile image0

He he he.  Sorry, guys I've been a HubMaster 2010 the past 24 hours.  Plus, the contest is coming up and OHHHH... I'm gonna get me that $1,000.  lol

My sleeping schedule sucks.  Almost 3 a.m. here and I'm sipping Rock Star (aka liquid crack).  Really want to start another hub, but c'mon... at 3:00 in the morning?  Am I manic?

Welcome, Fluffymetal.  This is a fun forum, hang around.  Welcome to HP, too.

1. Fluffymetal profile image76
        Fluffymetalposted 14 years agoin reply to this

its almost 5am here. working on 3 hubs.  very manic.  Nice to meet you

1. profile image0

Oh well, at least it's productive.  I'm halfway watching this ridiculous info-mercial on the new Oreck Platinum Upright and I'm practically sold.  About to dig out the credit card.  Dear God, it's so time for me to go to bed before I buy a Slap Chop, too.  roll 

Off to bed, nice to meet you.  Get to bed, young lady.  Your hubs can wait 'til the morn (or most appropriately given the time, the afternoon).

6. Fluffymetal profile image76
    Fluffymetalposted 14 years ago

This looks like a fun forum.  The enjoyment of the emotionally disturbed... a game that can only be honestly played among ourselves.  There are no losers!

1. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are so right, FM-the emotionally 'stable' worry me...lol

1. figment profile image74
        figmentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah fig there is something definitely wrong with the emotional stable people.   No offense to "normal" people.

"normal" people ... is there such a thing?

7. calpol25 profile image57
    calpol25posted 14 years ago

Hello there.

Last year i was diagnosd with depression and anxiety I managed to overcome them and beat it but there is still a chance i can relapse but that is not going to happen I wont let it.
    I am not embarrassed to share this because 1 in 3 people will have a mental illness at some time, and a problem shared is a problem solved lol

good attitude.  I'm always afraid of my illnesses resurfacing.

1. calpol25 profile image57
        calpol25posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just take my approach, lol find something to laugh at everyday and always do things that make you happy and always smile, even when you feel sad inside look for something that will make you smile.

I know it sound silly but that is what I do everyday and it works trust me x smile

You must be on a great antidepressant!

no am not on any im just naturally hiper i thinks thats the word then again i could just be strange lololol

you seem pretty cool to me.  I'm very hyper myself

2. profile image0

What an awesome approach and outlook! smile  It's true, too.  Looking for the good in things has helped me out a LOT with my depression.  Or, go play with your loving pets...  My animals can change my mood sometimes.  Nice to meet you, calpol25.

nice to meet you too wordscribe41 remember smile and the world smiles with you, cry and you cry alone.

Thats my approach, it does work and im glad it works for you too, as long as we have a smile and our sense of humour depression shall not beat us!!!!

Just tell your self that when your mood changes, and you will be as good as new trust me. x big_smile

8. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Does it embarrass you to suffer from a mental illness?

NO..... I'm too Nutty to Care lol

Judge me if you're good enough hmm smile

We don't judge in this forum.  We have fun smile

2. wyanjen profile image70

I AM good enough to judge you!

I deem thee... very cool!! big_smile

Thank you smile

9. nightnday profile image59
    nightndayposted 14 years ago

HOME AGAIN:  I recently had an episode, so at 32 I'm back w/ my folks.  Despite my relapse, I had my work land at the UN & I had a great magazine publish an article-- I'm so proud!  But when I meet people, I wing it w/ "where do you live" & the likes.  I'm embarrased.

WACKO JACKO: I used to think, "At least I've never had a delusion..." until I had one;)    Now that it's over, I'm so ashamed! 

PUH-PUH-POKAH FACE:  I know it's not my fault;I try to be Zen. But facing folks after going through it--it's like seeing people after a drunken night, starring you, naked, singing a slurred version of Lady Gaga's poker face song.. smile

I understand.  I get the same way sometimes. I'm 32, and I recently had an "episode", and I'm back at home myself.  Things will get better, then shitty again, and then better.  Its a rollercoaster ride for us.

10. tjohnny profile image38
    tjohnnyposted 14 years ago

I think if anyone is really suffering from mental illness, he becomes an extreme ignorant person in most cases. So embarrassment, is not associated with a high mentally sound person. But , it also depends on the type of and degree of mental illness in question. Some mentally derailed persons i know, such as down syndrome, don't really feel embarrassed by their situation.

Ignorant person!  That's a BOLD statement.  I do not consider myself ignorant at all, just sick in the head at times.  There are different levels of mental illness.  Down Syndrome and Bipolar or people that suffer from depression are two separate extremes of the illness.  You're the ignorant one on this subject.  Where are my forum friends when I need them?

fluffy metal I am right behind you honey, your absolutely right,
        No offence meant here tjohnny but im afraid you need to research the facts before you make bold statements like that,
        you dont know us,  you have not met us at all so you dont have the right to say such a thing or judge us,
        as for  that statement about mentally derailed I would retract if i was you because people with down syndrome can not help what has happened to them, they were born with it!
        So please be more careful in future when making statements such as that one.

2. mythbuster profile image72
      mythbusterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Downs is not a mental illness. Downs is an unfortunate physiological abnormality and a physical product of birth defects.

Mental illness may play an additional factor in a Downs Syndrome individual but people living with Downs Syndrome are often slightly 'delayed' in emotional and mental development without having 'mental illness' or emotional disabilities. I personally have FRIENDS who were born with Downs Syndrome who do NOT experience mental illness effects that most people, in their ignorance about mental illness, believe my friends experience on a daily basis.

Many individuals with Downs Syndrome are very well adjusted, very much in REALITY about their physical or other limitations and they are HAPPY and SECURE with who they are...therefore, some of them experience little to no unusual mental illness effects due to 'ignorance' or otherwise.

Most people who are highly functional who are also born with Downs Syndrome are more aware of the pros and cons of the condition of Downs Syndrome and are not ignorant in any way - not about the condition, their relationship with the condition, or life, in general.

3. profile image0

Oh... brother.  roll  You have yourself a lot of self-education to do.

4. nightnday profile image59
      nightndayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"embarrassment is not usually associated w/ a high mentally sound person..." and people w/ mental illness are "ignorant"?   I know I can be nutty;)  But ignorant? Wow, tjohnny. 

Anyhow.  More than embarrassed, I guess sometimes I feel out of place.  And more than shame, I've felt frustration.  Given the stigma & complexity of mental illness, I think it's normal to feel any range of these now and then.

Ironically, because I overcome these things over and over-- for the most part I feel pride.  You can only measure success against your own past and your own potential.  Thanks Fluffymetal for letting me know I'm not the only one:)

Agreed...and as an aside, many of the most gifted artists and writers ever have 'had' mental issues.  Not, for the love of God, ignorance.
        Now that's ignorant.

11. figment profile image74
    figmentposted 14 years ago

Tell him FM!!  Ignorant?!

12. mythbuster profile image72
    mythbusterposted 14 years ago

Answer the the original question: "Yes - it is embarrassing to suffer with a mental illness."

My antidote: do something productive and astounding with the non-mental-illness parts of me that are always present.

Other people manage to 'hurt me' when I am 'well' - more than the mental illness harms me when I am 'unwell,' for short periods of time.

I loved what Ghost32 wrote about his high-functioning-SMI wife - about her 'functioning' moments. Kudos!

We're NOT "Mentally Ill," we're people who experience mental illness.

13. profile image49
    5812posted 14 years ago

YEP

Agreed!! smile

14. lorlie6 profile image73

Greetings, fellow sillies! lol
    I see there are also some newcomers since I last posted-Hi There!!!
    I am so glad to see this thread still thriving...I've been writing a hub for a week and it's DEFINITELY making me mentally ill. lol  I'll be done soon, I'm just such a perfectionist/anxiety ridden woman that I absolutely must have it exactly right. 
    That's pretty nuts, if you ask me...

15. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

Hey Lorlie and all..sorry I took a week or two off, had some major things happen..I am back and will have a hub up by Sunday..a new one ( it was set for friday, but I had a seizure and now it has a new "due date" ....stupid health )

Anyaway, I am back, having a good fryday night and will be just simply taking it easy and hanging around....

1. profile image0

Hope you're feeling alright, BC.  sad  Back later, off to a play.

16. profile image0

seems like a ton of new people have joined our post and "Hubpages" in general....Interesting...

17. profile image0

Im getting there, thank you ....  smile

Hey everybody!! smile

18. Jennitasia profile image59
    Jennitasiaposted 14 years ago

I used to be very embarrassed about my Bipolar Disorder, Psycotic Mental Disorder, Split Personality Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, and ADD. This is a mess! I am currently disabled due to the medication that I take. My driving privileges have been revoked due to the medications! Embarrassing question that people ask me " Where are you employed?", and I respond Social Security at age 27!

But, now I have accepted that I have an issue and I will just deal with this issue everyday one day at a time.

Everyone has some type of problem; this just so happens to be mine.

The best advice that I can give is to just not be embarrassed and accept your issue as well as face it!

Jen

I'm in the same boat

19. wyanjen profile image70

well, just got back from dr.

We're trying to take care of this sleeping problem. I still on the narcolepsy med - I'm glad. It helps me out so much. But this sleepwalking situation is out of hand completely. I don't even remember being in bed some nights.. tongue
    All of my clothes were on the floor yesterday morning and the closet was empty. WTF? I should hire a hall monitor to stay in here at night. I hate living by myself. I have no idea what goes on here all night long. I don't even blink an eye anymore when I wake up wearing different clothes than what I had on when I went to bed.

Phew. sorry 'bout the rant. So, this new med is generic which is a lifesaver right now. My Rx co-pay is $60; this Rx was less than $5.00 for me today.
    Which brings me to the reason for this post:
    Desyrel. Ever heard of it? I have not. He warned me not to start taking it until the weekend, in case of unexpected consequences. lol I'm hoping for some unexpected sleep! lol

20. profile image0

It's trazadone, right?  I was on that for a while, it DID help my sleep.  Good you're coming up with a plan.  I would think the sleepwalking would be pretty disconcerting.  Kinda like snapping out of alcohol-induced blackouts and wondering what you did last night.  Or, in my drinking days:  Dude, where's my car?

trazadone, yup.
      Thanks for the info. I was hoping NOT to hear "OMG DON'T TAKE IT!"

I'll try my best to describe this:
      Say you are talking about somebody behind their back, and they walk in the room and hear you.
      You know that knot you get in your stomach? Like, you didn't think you were doing a bad thing at the time, but then you suddenly realize it and you feel terrible.

Well, I get that knot in my stomach all the time without knowing what I did to cause it.

I sold my car to my neighbor a few years ago and she still drives it. It's in my parking lot all the time. I get that knot when I walk past it. I just KNOW I have driven it while I was asleep. I sold it in 2006 and I still get that feeling from it. hmm

Maybe I was driving your car around back in those days...
      I wonder where I parked it. Where did you find it? lol lol

glad to see this thread still alive

2. profile image0

Funny you asked.  In graduate school I had this old beater Buick Skylark.  Now, this was back in my drinking days, Jen.  Bear in mind, I'm in recovery now.  Anyhoo, one night I didn't drink (a rare occasion back then).  Got up to go to class and there it was:  the classic where's my car, dude?"  I knew where I parked the old bronze beast, it wasn't there.  Called the police, get this...  The damn thing had been stolen and used in a convenience store armed robbery that morning.  He he he.  I got it back, but they'd done lovely things like bend the windshield wipers for the heck of it, had Taco Bell wrappers all over it.  Oh, and did I mention I had to PAY to get it out of impound?  Very expensive, I might add. 

So, if you ever drove a Skylark in St. Louis, MO, held up a convenience store, ate Taco Bell, then you're the one I've been looking for.  lol  lol

What you go through sounds awful.  I hate feeling like I'm not in control.  I hope Trazadone works.  Keep us posted!

Hmmm. I did used to drive a skyark, but it was my dad's car. And it was in northern Michigan, not St. Louis. So I'm fairly sure I'm innocent. lol
          Can you imagine if that happened on a night when you were drinking? sheesh what a mess. That sucks girl!

Well I have to work tomorrow, so I don't know what to do. I was supposed to wait to start it until the weekend so I don't have to worry about getting to work the first couple days... not that I can manage that OK anyway. I'm lucky that my boss is so understanding. He doesn't give me a hard time when I can't keep a good schedule.

smile

Hey - should we switch out mugs back? St Pats is over... I do like the green color scheme tho

21. profile image0

I don't know, Jen.  I'm having a hard time letting go of my mug.  I did look at it today and think the same thing...  I'll do it if you do it.  lol 

How many people can say they've driven the lark?  Too funny.

I guess wait on the Traz, it did make me tired initially.  Then, no problem...

22. profile image0

Hi Jen, didn't hear from the doctor Friday, of course.  So, I guess we won't know anything until Monday.  Thanks for asking, I am remaining positive.

Sorry about the trazadone debacle.  Are you taking it again today?  You'll get used to it pretty soon, at least I did, but I was like you, hyper-somnolent for a bit.  It initially made me feel a bit more depressed at first b/c I hate sleeping the days away.  But, everything leveled out. 

I see you're still green!

Nah, I switched back to purple. Must have been while you were posting lol

The frustrating thing about my situation is the Provigil. It is for narcolepsy, but my dr. presented my case at his hospital and was able to get me qualified to take it (qualified in terms of my insurance that is.) My diagnosis isn't narcolepsy, it's - you guessed it - hypersomnia. Go figure, right?

I told him this week that it is bullshit that I need medication to be awake AND to be asleep. One without the other just isn't getting it for me though. sad
      Before I started the Provigil though, I couldn't stay awake more than 10 hours or so... frustrating to me, and a marriage-ender to my ex.

People who can sleep 6-8 hours a day, then wake up and go about the day without a second thought, could not possibly relate. I'm jealous of those bastards. Er, I mean - those nice people. lol

Hang tough until Monday, K?

23. wyanjen profile image70

Being Sunday night (oops Monday morning) this post will get buried I'm sure lol
    but if anybody notices:

BP people. You know what is coming next when you're in a manic. How do you handle it?
    I'm racing all around and it's awesome that I can do the things on my months old "to do list" with energy to spare. But I have a dread because I know what comes next.
    I was thinking this morning, should I have tried to stop it? It's hard when you feel so good and get so much done. But the longer it goes (at least for me) the harder I fall. When I crash I don't just stay lying in bed. I get UNDER the bed and hide from the world.

OK not literally. you get the point though. damn I wish pot was legal, it is the perfect cure for the manic. Slows me right down but I'm not a zombie. I'm pretty sure I feel like normal people do at that point - just regular medium average.

So off I go, maybe I'll have a productive night sleeping! big_smile

1. Faybe Bay profile image64
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I try not to worry when I am manic. I don't take meds, but my drop paralyzes me. Sleep is my closest friend, but avoids me at times. I am allergic to pot. Chamomile or sleepy time tea works, but I hate tea. lol So I just ride the wave, happy that I am getting something done, and when the bottom comes rising up to hit me in the face, I come here, to the forums,to see if anyone needs help. Helping people helps pick me up a bit.

24. bojanglesk8 profile image60
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

It is kind of embarrassing to have some what of a mental illness because people look at me like I'm a bit of a freak.

You're not a freak! I think there are a lot more "mentally ill" people in the world than are actually "on the books" so to speak, they are just too ashamed to admit it. They sweep their feelings under the rug, and then blow away their school, or work or whatever.

Oh, sorry, I am ranting. Do Not let anyone make you feel like a freak, you are not a freak. You are one of the enlightened ones who knows there is a problem and trying to fix it. There is nothing freakish about trying to be well.

2. figment profile image74

Don't worry about people thinking you're a "freak".  We are the cool ones.

Hi Faybe big_smile

Hi my baby. I only answered one question on my homework today! I wasted it all, the whole day. My washer won't drain, so I am ringing clothes by hand lol I wont be able to sleep. lol I could have published two more hubs if I'd known!

How was your movie?

It was o.k.  Not going to do a review though... not that impressed

25. stephensaldana profile image61
    stephensaldanaposted 14 years ago

It is not a matter of embarrasment.. its a matter of care.. People who have less knowledge about mental illness they talk rubbish and people feel embarrased about their illness.. So it is very important to educate them about the regarding issue..

1. brenren57 profile image59
      brenren57posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I used to be one of the ones who talked rubbish. Now I'm faced with the fact that I myself am mentally ill.

I broke with the churches who were teaching that the mentally ill were eithger sinning by being depressed or else were possessed by demons. Can you imagine?

26. Fluffymetal profile image76

Sometimes it does piss me off.  I wish I could just turn it off like so many people think is an option.

swear to god I was thinking about this thread about an hour ago...

I was stewing about it. It pisses me off too.

I'm incredibly open about my BP, but in some instances I keep it a close secret. I trust my gut and I'm rarely wrong, but I was last week.

I was wrong about somebody who I thought I could be open with. This person has, for nearly a week now, taken it upon herself each day to give me sound, solid advice about how to keep myself in a good mood.

I want to get up in her face about it, but it is my fault. I explained the difference between a good mood and a manic episode. I explained the difference between a bad mood and depression. She blew me off completely. I think she must have been a cheerleader in high school.

rah!rah!rah!
      *smack*

lol
      hang in there fluffy

I feel ya.  You have no idea!!

1. Friendlyword profile image60
          Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

EVERYBODY'S CRAZY!  SOME PEOPLE HAVE THE EDUCATION OR EXPERIENCE TO MASKED IT BETTER THAN OTHER PEOPLE. YOU MIGHT BE SANER THAN THE CHEERLEADER. DONT WASTE ANOTHER MINUTE THINKING ABOUT IT.

27. Paradise7 profile image71
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

My sister suffers from bipolar disorder.  It's treated, she has meds.  So many clueless people out there are very unkind about her illness, so I imagine a lot of mentally ill people hide their illness in the closet.

What really gets me, is, she's a very bright and artistic woman.  People treat her like she's lacking, like she's mentally retarded, and that isn't her problem.  She's very smart.  She just has no sense of perspective and is prone to depressions, and very wide mood swings, and occasionally can suffer, when under stress, from hallucinations.  It's a lot of suffering for her, and it isn't dangerous to anyone else, and it certainly didn't turn her stupid!  I resent people's attitude towards her on her behalf.  Instead of appreciating the person she is, for all her good qualities, they shy away.

28. Fluffymetal profile image76

i recently had to stop taking my meds for medical reasons.  its fucking me up.

1. brenren57 profile image59
      brenren57posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm so sorry you have to go through that. Personally I'd rather be okay in my head and struggle with my health than vice versa. I went through a crisis last year with lithium toxicity and had to be off most of my meds for a while. I also had hemodialysis several times and spent time in ICU. It was difficult physically, but it was torment mentally.

I feel for you, sister.

29. brenren57 profile image59
    brenren57posted 14 years ago

Finding out that I have a mental illness really pulled the rug out from under me and yes, I am embarrassed by it. Sometimes I reason that it's God's way of humbling me because I have a high IQ and am very creative. Many people have admired and envied me, and now they can look down on and pity me. It was quite a blow to my pride when I was diagnosed two years ago. Of course, I've been bipolar for much longer than that, but never diagnosed. Most of my family members were not at all surprised by the diagnosis, and that bothered me even more.

I really only tell people when there's an obvious need for an explanation for some of the odd things I may sometimes do. Because my condition isn't entirely under control even with taking my meds faithfully, my mood swings are frequent and vicious. I spend almost as much time out of control or hiding in a dark corner as I do going about my business normally. So I need to explain this behavior, and it's painful.

God's way of humbling you? That makes me a little sad... smile
      I completely understand where you're coming from with that thought but I feel like I should step in and say, Hey there. Don't think you should have to feel humble because you're intelligent. Embrace it, don't excuse it wink

BP people are smart and creative. That's the way it is. On my worst days, I say "Ignorance truly is bliss." lol

30. Fluffymetal profile image76

No-- it only embarrasses me when I don't want to feel crazy 
    http://rlv.zcache.com/crazy_people_postcard-p239051221912260240qibm_400.jpg

31. profile image0

How's everyone doing?  I miss chatting with you all.  My "Black Dog" as Winston Churchill liked to call his depression isn't great now.  I had a terrible day yesterday, today's better.  I forced myself to have coffee with a friend, which helped.  I'm going through a time where I'm so f'in sick of dealing with this depression.  I'm fine, them BAM it hits and I can barely function.  I think I need new medication, or something.  Grrr...

It's a nightmare. When you're not depressed, it's so damn easy to convince yourself that you can control it, but when it's on you, there is nothing but helplessness.

Best you can do is try to stick with the same routine you have when the dog is not around:

http://kingwebcontent.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/write-on-baby.gif

2. Fluffymetal profile image76

i so know what you are all talking about.  I've been in such a funk lately.  I don't want to do anything, even on my meds.  I hate this.

32. lorlie6 profile image73

What a trip this is; I almost forgot about this thread's existence. I'm really glad that it's still alive.
    Just a couple of days ago I was weeping and gnashing my teeth, you know what I mean.  I was feeling more depressed than usual.  The culprit?  I'd gone off of Effexor without really noticing-since I take about 6 pills daily, I didn't even note it's absence.
    What a difference a pill makes! hmm
    But then it got me thinking how dependent I am on this drug.  Kinda scary, actually.
    But I feel much better, so I guess I'll stick with it and try not to forget the damn things!

i know exactly what you are talking about... medications for us are sometimes like men... you can't live with them, but you can't live without them. I don't want to take anymore pills, but when I get off them I act crazier than usual

Exactly!

2. Dense profile image60
        Denseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dunno if you have read "The Nature of Personal Reality" by Jane Roberts before, but it may of help - there are at least a couple chapter on personality disorders if I recall correctly.

1. Dense profile image60

The benefit of reading this book is that its views are non-mainstream, so you can have an opportunity to have a fresh and different view of your condition or whatever you want to call it. Apologies, if this has been discussed before, I just found this thread and jumped from beginning of page 1. big_smile
          The book is available in torrent form as well. wink

You mean you didn't read all eight gazillion pages of this thread, Dense??  Boy oh boy!!!
            smilesmile

1. Dense profile image60

Nope, and I'd been here 7 months and only discovered the forums 2 weeks ago. smile

Welcome, then!  This thread is very honest.

33. profile image0

True, Jen.  Routine is big for me...  It will pass, it always does I just wish I didn't have to deal with it, frankly. 

Lorlie, don't you get sick when you go off your meds?  I went off Effexor and felt horrible, lightning bolts in my head, nauseous and completely insane.  I can't skip a day of Paxil without ugly ramifications.

What happens is that I completely 'tank' emotionally.  I become impossibly housebound and paranoid.  I certainly can't write.  That's one of the hardest parts.

34. profile image0

Fluffymetal, it does suck.  I'm sorry you have to deal with it, too.  All I want to do is hang out at home, not talk to anyone, I cringe when the phones rings, etc...  It's so irritating.

I hear you, lorlie.  I am the same way, especially the housebound part.  I just don't want to deal with anyone or anything.  My writing changes when I'm depressed, it's interesting to watch. 

Anyway, this too shall pass.

35. profile image0
    ericsomethingposted 14 years ago

I've found that the older I get and the more I come to grips with my own issues (major depressive disorder, anxiety problems, and a little ADHD and OCD thrown in just for gits & shiggles), the more I realize I don't give a rip who knows about said issues or what anyone thinks of me because of them. I used to hide these issues real well; now I don't feel the need to do so. That said, I'm careful not to use these issues as an excuse for bad behavior, and I'll usually hide the cutlery when I have folks over so they don't get skeered. Or something.

Hey ericsomething-I applaud you and your great attitude.  Sometimes it's hard, you know?

36. Fluffymetal profile image76

Its a never ending battle.  Only we understand! smile  I love you guys and hope the best for all of you

37. lorlie6 profile image73

Gawd, I thought I was the only one with PILES of books, papers, ALL of my stuff everywhere.  The piles are OCD orderly, however! smilesmile

1. profile image0
      ericsomethingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

H'mm? I know my desk is somewhere in this pile of papers & books.

38. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

I always thought that tidiness was a sign of mental instability!  Does this mean I must re-evaluate smile

39. wyanjen profile image70

I'm not a sloppy person.
    I'm just oblivious.

As soon as I notice the giant pile of sloppiness, I clean it right up and I try not to think about how long it's been piled up. Days? Weeks? When was the last time I had company... hmmm...

lol lol lol

1. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bang on !!   the only time we clean up here is when someone is coming!  or when we can't find each other any more big_smile

On a serious note - I am glad this thread has been resurrected, it has been one of the bright spots on these forums, like a resting place smile

40. lorlie6 profile image73

Good Morning, assorted nuts! smile Today looks pretty good so far, took my meds and went outside to take in the birds and newly planted flowers.  Nothing is more 'stabilizing' than the outdoors-fresh air and all.
    I actually feel at peace. smile

41. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 14 years ago

No. I am quite proud of it. I walk around all the time acting like a retard just for glorious spotlight. And the people love me.... ah.. or am I just manic right now? I mean they could hate me... dammit!... I am going home to moap. Anybody got as tissue... 

Who you looking at!!

1. watchya profile image61
      watchyaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

42. johnshade profile image61
    johnshadeposted 14 years ago

i suffer from bipolar disorder, i was embarrased at first but now i accept it which is the hardest part

43. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 14 years ago

I had a friend like that... then he said he was going to just like women from now on.

44. Fluffymetal profile image76

I have been feeling horrible the last few days.  Edgy, depressed, angry...then I got high, and I everything seems just a little easier to put up with.  Sorry to those who I may offend, but damn I love marijuana. It accomplished what my crappy chemical medications couldn't. big_smile

45. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

well, I finaly saw my doctor today and he says I have Panic Disorder. That freaked me out...  sad  what am I supposed to do now?

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

he prescribed citalopram.....I think. They got a fancy new computer system and I never saw the prescription. Im supposed to go pick it up, but after the dr I had to go home....cant really thnk aobut going out right now...

1. profile image0
        selrachposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Justine
        I am on Citalopram and have been for the last 11 months.I was prescibed it for depression,due to my alcohol addiction.

Look on the positive side at least you have a diagnosis and with help and medication you can now move forward.

Wishing you all the best. smile

1. profile image0

thank  you.
          I have never heard of Citalopram before and have known people who had awful bad reactions to other drugs so I am super scared to try it...

46. terrowhite profile image56
    terrowhiteposted 14 years ago

Mental illness does disturb you.. but feeling embarrassed on something like this is not good.. it is a disease that can happen to anyone.. so its fine with me..

47. leeberttea profile image55
    leebertteaposted 14 years ago

Does it bother me? No it doesn't bother me. Does it bother you?

No, no, no, I'm not bothered by it at all. What about you?

Well, I might be bothered by it if I had symptoms, so that's a maybe for me.

I wouldn't admit to it even if it was true! And what do you think dear?

Oh I don't know, I'm hungry. Have we got anything to eat?

Hey! Don't touch that with your bare hands put on the gloves.

How many times do I have to tell him about the germs!

1. profile image0

bother bother bother botherbotherbother.....what?
      oh crap, you messed me up..now I have to start over again

bother...

1. terrowhite profile image56
        terrowhiteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do not bother... mental sickness is indeed problematic but considering it as embarassing is not good.. it can happen with anyone.. so relax..

2. Fluffymetal profile image76

@ lee LMAO big_smile

Hey Justine big_smile!

48. Maddie Ruud profile image71
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

The only reason to be embarassed about being mentally ill is the amount of ignorance about mental illness prompts people to judge.

The only way to change this is to speak out, and educate people.

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

... and hit people who are mean

1. wildorangeflower profile image59
        wildorangeflowerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)