Peaceful Spread of Islam in China

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (58 posts)
  1. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Hi friends

Islam spread in China, peacefully:
    According to China Muslims' traditional legendary accounts, Islam was first brought to China by an embassy sent by Uthman, the third Caliph, in 651, less than twenty years after the death of prophet Muhammad. The embassy was led by Sa`d ibn Abī Waqqās, the maternal uncle of the prophet himself. Emperor Gaozong, the Tang emperor who received the envoy then ordered the construction of the Memorial mosque in Canton, the first mosque in the country, in memory of the prophet.[1][2]
    While modern historians say that there is no evidence for Waqqās himself ever coming to China,[2] they do believe that Muslim diplomats and merchants arrived to Tang China within a few decades from the beginning of Muslim Era.[2] The Tang Dynasty's cosmopolitan culture, with its intensive contacts with Central Asia and its significant communities of (originally non-Muslim) Central and Western Asian merchants resident in Chinese cities, which helped the introduction of Islam.[2] The first major Muslim settlements in China consisted of Arab and Persian merchants.[3] During the Tang and especially the Song eras, comparatively well-established, even if somewhat segregated, mercantile Muslim communities existed in the port cities of Guangzhou, Quanzhou, and Hangzhou on China's southeastern seaboard, as well as in the interior centers such as Chang'an, Kaifeng, and Yangzhou.[4]
    The term Hui originated from the Mandarin word “Huihui,” a term first used in the Yuan Dynasty to describe Central Asian, Persian and Arab residents in China.[2]
    By the time of the Song Dynasty, Muslims had come to play a major role in the import/export industry.[1][4] The office of Director General of Shipping was consistently held by a Muslim during this period.[5] In 1070, the Song emperor Shenzong invited 5,300 Muslim men from Bukhara, to settle in China in order to create a buffer zone between the Chinese and the Liao empire in the northeast. Later on these men were settled between the Sung capital of Kaifeng and Yenching (modern day Beijing).[6] They were led by Prince Amir Sayyid "So-fei-er" (his Chinese name) who was reputed of being called the "father" of the Muslim community in China. Prior to him Islam was named by the Tang and Song Chinese as Dashi fa ("law of the Arabs").[7] He renamed it to Huihui Jiao ("the Religion of the Huihui").[8]
    During the Mongol-founded Yuan Dynasty (1271–1368), that large numbers of Muslims settled in China. The Mongols, a minority in China, gave Muslim immigrants an elevated status over the native Han Chinese as part of their governing strategy, thus giving Muslims a heavy influence. Hundreds of thousands of Muslims immigrants were recruited and forcibly relocated from Western and Central Asia by the Mongols to help them administer their rapidly expanding empire.[9] The Mongols used Persian, Arab and Uyghur administrators, generically known as semu ("various officials")[10] to act as officers of taxation and finance. Muslims headed many corporations in China in the early Yuan period.[11][page needed] Muslim scholars were brought to work on calendar making and astronomy. The architect Yeheidie'erding (Amir al-Din) learned from Han architecture and helped to design the construction of the capital of the Yuan Dynasty, Dadu, otherwise known as Khanbaliq or Khanbaligh, the predecessor of present-day Beijing.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_China

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi  peaceful Muslim

1. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only someone who doesn't know god will try to convert someone  and and equally ignorant person will convert.

Islam has spread with the word and Christianity through bribes.

1. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend mohitmisra

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. Rishy Rich profile image72
          Rishy Richposted 13 years agoin reply to this

word? i think he is missing a 's'.  sWord

roll

& brothr paarsury, Exceptions are not examples!

1. profile image51

Hi friend Rishy Rich

And Quran/Islam/Muhammad generally spread peacefully; you may however sometimes point out incorrect exception though

Thanks

Those are facts, historical facts that u cannot prove wrong. But I knw ur biased mind wont be able to understand that. And thats ok with me roll

2. aka-dj profile image63
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

Peaceful spread of Christianity in China!!

China has more Born Again Christians today, than all the rest of the western world put together.

But you probably knew that. cool

1. profile image51

Hi friend aka-dj

I don't mind that; but Islam also spread there peacefully centuries ago.

Thanks

2. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"China has more Born Again Christians today, than all the rest of the western world put together."

I think you're thinking of South Korea, not China (and it's still probably an exaggeration).

3. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

lol.. yeah Muhammad united the Meccan tribes and conquerred Mecca without violence or the threat of violence

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He is sweet like that! lol lol lol

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's absolutely amazing that some would over look even the history as documented by their own writers to make ridiculous claims.

I'm a Christian, but do you see trying to deny that atrocities were committed by Christians against others (including other Christians)?

It's unbelievable.

I agree it is a complete rewrite! A peaceful Christian with a sense of humour. mmmmmmm. I thought you were pretty neutral on religion. Not many Christians seem to be like that on these forums smile

i eat fiber. it helps

lol Very subtle reply, I appreciate it having been there myself for a few years. smile

2. profile image51

Hi friend Greek One

That is Ok; It is good for your stomach.

Thanks

2. profile image51

Hi friend Greek One

I am quoting neutral and secular sources, and not from Muslim sites; you are under no compulsion to believe them.

Thanks

1. Beelzedad profile image58
            Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only pain and agony of eternal suffering in hellfire...

... but, no compulsion.  smile

2. profile image51

Hi friend earnestshub

Muhammad entered Mecca and not a single soul was killed; it was a peaceful conquest.

Thanks

1. profile image55
          (Q)posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Taqiyaa.

Muhammad conquered Mecca and murdered thousands in January 630 AD (10th day of Ramadan). It is called Fatah-e-Mubeen, The Glorious Victory. Two years prior to that, they were offered to join Islam or die. Some did, others didn't. Muhammad murdered all who did not join.

1. profile image51

Hi friend earnestshub

Again totally wrong. Fatah-e-Mubeen is Sulhu Hudaibiyya or Peaceful Accord signed by Muhammad and the Meccans; not a soul was killed at that time. Please read some history, if you cannot read much.

Thanks

2. profile image51

Hi friend Greek One

How could the tribes unite with Muhammad without being convinced of his just cause?

Thanks

Violence and the threat of violence can be a very useful tactic for those not disposed to follow.

As someone whose native tongue is Punjabi, I would think you would know how Muslims treated the Sikhs, for example.

Even more so, you have said yourself that you have been pursecutted for your own beliefs.  Have not the Ahmadiyya been pursecutted by other Muslims??

Have not the Sunni and Shiites fought themselves over which denomination should prevail?

4. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

We should be praising those countries which are abandoning religion, not embracing it.

1. profile image51

Hi friend thisisoli

That is not a positive thing; that will start their journye to devolution instead of evolution.

Thanks

1. Beelzedad profile image58

Yes, the same kind of "devolution" children experience when they become adults and stop believing in the tooth fairy. smile

2. earnestshub profile image80

Now that would make sense. If it were not for the atrocities and suppression from the Taliban Christians  and the two religious tribes in Iraq a lot of fine young people could go home for starters. smile

5. Shil1978 profile image85
    Shil1978posted 13 years ago

To the original poster,

What is an "Ahmadi peaceful Muslim?" Also, how do Sunnis and Shias view Ahmadi muslims?

1. profile image51

Hi friend  Shil1978

It is not much important as to how others view one; the importance is how the root sources view one. We are Muslims following Quran/Islam/Muhammad; we have named ourselves after the other name of Muhammad i.e., Ahmad which is also mentioned in Quran, hence we call ourselves Ahmade Muslims, just for distinction and identification. Quran is rich in reason and argumentst needs no sword; so no need of sword or compulsion  to onvince others. It is very easy to win hearts and minds; what we have to do with a sword.

Thanks

6. profile image0
    crmhaskeposted 13 years ago

You do realize that the more of these "headline" like threads you start, the less seriously people take you (if it's possible to drop any lower at all) right?

Indulging you was fun at first, but now it's just annoying.

1. profile image51

Hi friend crmhaske

I like you; you are a fine person. I present what I actually believe; an I am opn to change if convinced. I don't intend to annoy anybody; sorry if you felt like that. Any suggention for change truthfully and peacefully, please.

Thanks

1. profile image0
        crmhaskeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I feel like a schmuck that I've always actually believed that you mean that... but these threads are getting tediously annoying - like a dripping tap.

1. profile image51

Hi friend teacher crmhaske

Please suggest a way out. You are a good thinker.

Thanks

2. Beelzedad profile image58

No, you're not.

Your intent is to spread Islamic propaganda, which is far beyond annoyance.

No, you're not sorry.

Stop spreading Islamic propaganda. smile

7. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 13 years ago

Drip drip drip......

Eventually you discover that he is lying. Usmanali has been banned several times. In fact - he has learned the art of passive aggression from his Mormon brethren.... wink

http://markpknowles.com/wp-content/uploads/muslims-480x404.jpg

Unlike his Muslim brethren.....

1. profile image51

@mythbuster

Hi friend

You just see; they have nothing reasonable to write; they  only deride and ridicule.

Thanks

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

These are truths in the photos. Violent Muslims. Or do you deny this Usmanali?

I have not seen anything reasonable from you.

Thank you.

Rational Atheist telling the Truth here.

http://xenlogic.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/londonprotest.jpg

PHOTOSHOP!!!!!!

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
            Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure..... wink

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/behead1.jpg

PHOTOSHOP!!!

it really said "Give Head To..".. not "Behead"

8. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 13 years ago

LOL

This is my favorite (today)

http://markpknowles.com/wp-content/uploads/gunsandgods.jpg

sad

well.. she is a tad better looking... got to give her that much.

I have a question though.. you know how you are supposed to get a certain amount of virgins if you die a martyr? 

Does that apply for women too?  I mean if I was a gal, i think I would want someone with a bit more experience

9. dfager profile image59
    dfagerposted 13 years ago

Pictures don't lie.  Many do not see Islamic believers as peaceful nor Christians.

I tell my kids though, to not look at the believers but look only to God.

I did not try to direct any of my children or grandchildren. I trusted all of them to communicate their feeling about such matters for discussion in the family.
      None of them are indoctrinated into any belief.

Children should feel it is natural with any belief to just take it to mum and dad, uncle Bob or whoever and ask their questions.
      I refer them to books often, often with opposing positions related to their questions. (A sneaky way to keep them reading!)

10. Shil1978 profile image85
    Shil1978posted 13 years ago

Hmm - usmanali, so this is the same guy, is it? Was he banned?

Yes the very same, and squidward. I made a list up in a thread about a year ago of all the people he was afraid of and hated. Very funny loony! smile

1. Shil1978 profile image85
        Shil1978posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did he bring up the Freemasons / Zionist thing yet? His posts used to be peppered with that smile

Not a word. Gone from hating almost everyone to "I am a peaceful muslim"
          I know stacks of peaceful Muslims in my own town, but they don't have paranoid sock puppets! lol

1. Shil1978 profile image85
            Shil1978posted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile  I am not sure why he feels the need to add that signature, "I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim."

I've read up a bit on "Ahmadi" muslims since seeing his signature, and it turns out that they are considered non-muslims in part of the muslim world!

1. profile image51

Hi friend  Shil1978

One declares one' faith for himself; others don't declare one's faith.

Thanks

2. alternate poet profile image68
            alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe he did a Cat Stevens and converted, changed his socks at last ??

11. profile image51

Peaceful Spread of Islam in China

Hi friends

So, Islam spread very peacefully in China; and this is what the history says.

Thanks

12. terrowhite profile image57
    terrowhiteposted 13 years ago

Thats really appreciating.. We all live in a beautiful world.. We should take care of everyone around us and must respect different people's religion... Peaceful set up of Islam in China is really admiring... smile

13. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

A couple of years ago I witnessed the peaceful conversion of my front yard to dollar weeds and dandelions.
      If there was a struggle I did not see it.
      One day I woke up and that is the way that it was.

Peaceful spread of dollar weeds and dandelions in my yard

1. profile image51

Peace be with you.

Thanks

14. profile image51

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/42112

Islam has spread with the word and Christianity through bribes- Mohitmisra

Thanks

15. profile image51

Hi friends

As mentioned in the OP:

According to China Muslims' traditional legendary accounts, Islam was first brought to China by an embassy sent by Uthman, the third Caliph, in 651, less than twenty years after the death of prophet Muhammad.

If you disagree, please mention as to what battle was fought in China for spread of Islam at that time.

Thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)