Small Update: Facebook Recommendations in hub sidebar

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 98 discussions (248 posts)
  1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 13 years ago

We're testing out a Facebook Social Plugin at the bottom of the sidebar on hubs.  It shows personalized activity feeds (the most interesting recent activity taking place on HubPages) and personalized recommendations (hubs).  You can read more about it and other plugins here.

1. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Paul, it's early here so my brain may not be in gear yet but, what's the purpose of putting this on our hubs? I don't really want my readers bogging off to facebook!

1. YU_First 1 profile image61
        YU_First 1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Susana, I am entirely in agreement with your concern. I want my visitor to stay at my site for 10 or more minutes... with facebook present I am not sure that will hold.

2. ANIKET SHRIVASTAV profile image60
      ANIKET SHRIVASTAVposted 13 years agoin reply to this

YO PAUL I THINK IT I'LL BE PLEASURE FOR ME TO RELATE MY BLOGS TO FACEBOOK,THANKS!!!!!!

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep... No Doubt Another Clear Avantage would no doubt be more of these sad

Having now seen this FB item on my hubs... I have to wonder why (as someone without a personal FB account with FB) would direct my hard researched and earned SEO generated traffic away from the opportunity for me to earn a few cents to FB.. so they can benefit from peanuts that this monkey worked for? hmm

If it is your intention to promote the monkeys rather than the peanuts via their profile page... then there are some benefits.

Right Now my hubs are potentially directing traffic to FB and HP is gaining an undeclared Benefit that wasn't previously disclosed....

To limit the potential damage of that...
        Should we make our hubs shorter?
        (To end before the impression)
        Should we reduce the amount of keyword work that we do?
        (For FaceBook)
        How Do WE EARN from this relationship?

1. LillyGrillzit profile image80
          LillyGrillzitposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank You for saying so! I am starting to feel like I am bringing a lot of traffic and revenue in with my very hard work, and while others are making 20 - 600.00, on clicks, I am making pennies...what happened to 40/60...I guess this is why writers eventually move on down the road...A Hub is a part of a wheel...

I think you're misunderstanding how the revenue share works on HP. You get 100% of the value of any clicks when your ID is showing (60% of the time). So with 100 page impressions your ID shows 60 times. If your click values are low then that is down to the keywords that visitors are finding your pages through (ie: what keywords you've chosen) and what advertisers are willing to pay for those keywords, it's down to google, not HP.

I don't like this new facebook add on, but I just wanted to make sure you understood how revenue sharing works here.

Thank you! After making before-coffee comments on the Fb app and all, I did go back and think about what others said, and me especially. It no excuse for bad behavior, but I was reacting and not thinking. A favorite saying in the South is, "don't put yer mouth in gear until your mind is engaged", I did not heed this good advice. Thank you for a clearer explanation. I understand the Admin of HubPages work hard to give a platform to writers who have never had tools and guidance of this magnitude. I actually have a writing resume...[i had put it out of my mind, I had to feed babies, keep a roof over our head.] Free copies and/or .10 per word for stories, wouldn't keep us in shelter. I dig Fb, and I am glad to see what's going on. I don't care who knows my name and/or alias. I am on the www for good, so I am not worried about it. So, again - thank you for clarity, and I am sorry for rude comments that weren't really apt. Sorry :0) Peace

It's cool! No worries smile

2. LillyGrillzit profile image80

I was sure crabby when I wrote that earlier. I am so thankful for being a member of HubPages, and this wonderful community of writers and changers of the future. I am mystified by the activity in my FB box at times. No Worries, just want to have the sowed seeds, reap...That seems to be happening! Thanks again...

3. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I took a look at the plugins info on fb that you linked to, and here's the first sentence:

The Activity Feed plugin displays the most interesting recent activity taking place on your site.

"Your site" in this environment means HubPages; it does not mean individual Hubbers' collections of works.

What this says to me is that my Hubs get to promote the most interesting recent activity taking place on HP.

As I said before, I don't know exactly how this works. I am not an fb member and don't plan on being one. If I were, and I were logged into fb, what, exactly would I see in that fb area to the right of my Hub? And what would the "public" see?

4. bougrac profile image40
      bougracposted 13 years agoin reply to this

nice topic i really appriciate it thanks just go on

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Thank you Paul. smile

3. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 13 years ago

Hmmmm...interesting...I'll have to look for it.

4. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

I saw these earlier and thought that they were pretty useful.

Thanks Paul and the HP team for improving and streamlining the site!

5. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

I like it! 
    Thanks.

6. Shopping-Online profile image65
    Shopping-Onlineposted 13 years ago

This is a cool one! Thanks Paul.

7. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 13 years ago

Nice update, HP!

I think it'd be a great addition on our profile pages, too.

Wonder what the next update'll be! smile

8. ross670daw profile image59
    ross670dawposted 13 years ago

Hey Paul, I just noticed that on my hubs, and thought hmmm, that's an interesting addition. I agree with ProCW that it would go well on profile pages too.

9. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

I'm going to update my opinion, Paul.  I'm somewhat distracted by it.  HubPages is HubPages, Facebook is Facebook.  Perhaps I'm one to enjoy the 'shelter' of HP too much, but when I'm here, I enjoy the exclusiveness of our site.  I know where to find Facebook and go there when I choose-you know what I mean?
    Just a thought.

1. barryrutherford profile image74
      barryrutherfordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I second that even though i have a Facebook account

2. LillyGrillzit profile image80

Agreed! lorlie6 - I see how much advertising I am doing for my followers and those I follow, and ultimately HP...Hope I start seeing a more decent share soon...

Crabby, sorry...

1. lorlie6 profile image73
          lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey there Lilly-Crabby's okay, no worries.  It's all a bit confusing, and as I said, distracting! smile

10. ns1209 profile image63
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

It seems quite good but why the need to take more people off our hubs?

11. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

nah, doesn't seem an impressive update to me. Hubpages is unique and I don't want fb updates.I agree lorlie6

12. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Well I can see the potential increase in site value and other commercial benefits to HP from developing this style of association with FB...

They might even see the extended benefits of offering you a cheque in the longer term for a site that is so accomodating to their 2nd tier marketing needs/trends....

So... What is the REAL BENEFIT of this to the writers here Paul?
    (Keep in mind that we have alot of Teachers on this site - Who don't appreciate FB's bullying re: their desired ownership of the words 'Face' and 'Book' smile )
    Will we then be obliged to FB to no longer use those words in our collective writing?

Please... Don't be offended by the kiwi candor here... Consider that most of us Trust YOU with the future directions of OUR writing and net presence. Facebook has not earned that priviledge and likely never will.
    As they say Paul... When you have such trust.. you can Bank On It... can't you? .... Until you loose it! hmm

13. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Ditto.

Our traffic is diverted to facebook because of this. I see this as more of distraction.  neutral

1. profile image49
      sofiajohnson8posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. This will only make some confusion to the users.

14. soni2006 profile image77
    soni2006posted 13 years ago

Yes I also agree with other hubbers on this. Displaying FB on our hub's sidebars is a distraction to our readers. HP needs to think on this.

It will work great on hubber profiles.

15. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Agreed. I do not like it on my hubs. Could care less if it's on my profile.

I just went to my hub on chocolate-hazelnut spread, only to find the follow FB posts listed:

- 15 Reasons to Stop Eating Meat
    - Yahweh Will Bring the Nations Into Judgment
    - Lady Gaga is Joe Calderone
    - Why Build the Mosque

Ummmmm.... I'm rather speechless. smile

Thanks for trying though! It's nice to see that you guys are always thinking and trying new things for us.

16. Andrew0208 profile image57
    Andrew0208posted 13 years ago

It's okay...But let there be a rotational display of hubs shared on Facebook by our readers and friend's activity on the same which is optional. The display of only the highest(in numbers)shared hubs on Facebook seems to be a bit disturbing.

Hope it will be considered...I love the new Facebook plugin considering the huge viral nature of Facebook. Internally, I believe it is one good turn deserves another.

17. 2besure profile image79
    2besureposted 13 years ago

I saw two of my hubs on another hubber's site in the new Facebook Recommendations sidebar.  It was cool to get the extra exposure!

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you saw it -

we wouldnt have

18. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 13 years ago

The related hubs capsule is (to some degree) mutually beneficial.  Where as this one seems to do no more than promote work that is already popular, and as not everybody writes the sort of hubs that are likely to be popular on Facebook, it takes from one set of users without giving anything back to them.

19. SiddSingh profile image60
    SiddSinghposted 13 years ago

Can we have an option to 'switch off' the FB recommendation widget - they way we have settings for ads.

sunforgedposted 13 years ago

not good!

http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/443/thumbs/8701641734_b.jpg
      View at EasyCaptures.com

Facebook is a massive distraction for many people, this function will just siphon off visitors - its a big leak

and the recommendations are crap and unfocused to content unless the user is logged in.

I absolutely do not want to provide a showcase for the idiotic recommendations that are currently displayed about heated religious debates -

1. englightenedsoul profile image59
        englightenedsoulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same here.  I also see the same recommendation and I don't like it at all and nor will my readers who come to buy ipad accessories or do christmas shopping.  Can't we make this optional?  Though I am not qualified if it is useful or not as I don't even have a facebook account but as of now it does not look nice.

2. theherbivorehippi profile image65
        theherbivorehippiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure 15 REasons to Stop Eating Meat is not a heated religious debate.  It is my hub and I am not religious.

it sounds like it became one though ..(disgusting and rude comments?) .. or maybe i was jealous because it wasnt my vegetarian hubs or maybe I didn't mention it because I was ok with that particular recommendation .

But the important question for many of us , or at least me, did the big influx of traffic equate to increased conversions and ad revenue - or just a bunch of looky-loos leaving disgusting and heinous comments and driving down your ePc for the day.(perhaps the week)

Im glad either way for you, but IM selfish enough to not care until its my own hub recommended, which will likely be never as dont write very well or cover any deep or popular topics.

1. theherbivorehippi profile image65

As it is seeing a lot of views and has over 500 votes or likes or whatever you call them for Facebook.....the revenue is not reflective.  Not as of now anyway.  I check my Adsense a few times a day and I have not seen anything really out of the ordinary.  So, as of now....my endless comments I keep deleting on the hub is all I'm really seeing from it so far.  There is one hubber who has came over to leave 5 rude comments so far that I have deleted and some "random" guy named "Meathead" who is relentless and keeps telling me is rating my hub down.  lol   

Either way...the message I was trying to get across when I wrote the hub 8 months ago is finally getting across.  If it helps one person or saves one animal....i'm happy.

I am glad your article did so well, I am sorry you got the brunt of Ire! Excellent Hub and a LOT of external traffic. Very good. "Any Publicity is Good Publicity!" Peace.

Thanks so much for this comment.  I really do appreciate it!

I understand! :0)

2. Jason Menayan profile image60
            Jason Menayanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure about that? Maybe not in the "most popular" category, but don't you have any Facebook "likes" across your Hubs? (it's a relatively new feature, but we're seeing over 1,000 across the site every day)

Was this question to me?  Yes yes...I have over 500 Facebook likes in the past like 24 hours.

1. Jason Menayan profile image60

No, that was to sunforged. smile

2. Pcunix profile image91
              Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where on the page would we see that?

Can you point us at an example?

http://hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Make_Wine
                I see 6 likes showing up at the top, beneath the title.

1. Pcunix profile image91
                  Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see it now.  Hard to spot!

Thanks!

2. ngureco profile image81
                  ngurecoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And 524 likes for "15 REASONS TO STOP EATING MEAT"

Its now getting clear!

Must all those likes be done at hubpages by your readers? or the likes can also be done at FB?

2. RedElf profile image90
      RedElfposted 13 years ago

undecided so far - will go read the info first

3. RedElf profile image90

My biggest question is: "Can we opt out?"

1. Sally's Trove profile image78

I'd like to opt out, too, just as I can with displaying accolades for public view.

4. Rafini profile image83
      Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I don't see the point in having so many outgoing links - I personally spend less time on a site with too many links.  I feel the more links there are the less credible the site is as a source of anything.  Why would I want to waste my time on a webpage with too many outgoing links?

I don't see the point in having 3 links to Facebook in one hub.  It's absolute overkill.  The recommended hubs - I don't see the connection between my hubs and the recommended ones....

Why was this update implemented?  To force away our readers?  I think it'll work.

Agreed on every point, especially on driving readers away from HubPages..."it'll work."

If readers were driven away from HP for a good reason, there might be some justification, but exactly what is the connection between abusive relationships (the topic of one of my Hubs) and 15 REASONS TO STOP EATING MEAT, Yahweh Will Bring The Nations Into Judgement, Lady Gaga Is Joe Calderone, and Why Build The Mosque?

Pcunix wrote a hub about SEO deception

http://hubpages.com/hub/SEO-Deception-Link-Wheels

in which he asked, "Before making any single decision, you should ask yourself the question: Is this going to be beneficial for my page's visitors?"

I see no benefit here for my pages' visitors. And if there's no benefit, then that's the surest way to drive them away, despite my hard work.

Maybe HP staff ought to state the benefits in detail about this new addition, so that we can get on the same platform.

5. Mrvoodoo profile image57
      Mrvoodooposted 13 years ago

Is anybody currently seeing any hubs other than these few:

'15 REASONS TO STOP EATING MEAT, Yahweh Will Bring The Nations Into Judgement, Lady Gaga Is Joe Calderone, and Why Build The Mosque...?'

Because if only these few hubs are being promoted across half a million other hubs (or whatever the current figure is) then It's not going to take long before people start trying to game it for that kind of exposure (which probably wouldn't be overly difficult).  I could probably get a couple of hundred FB 'shares' on an outsourcing site for a few bucks.

Which means that if that's how it works, it won't be long before those who don't necessarily deserve that level of exposure are all over it. 

Unless I've totally misunderstood how it works (which is more than possible).

Looks like "'15 REASONS TO STOP EATING MEAT" and all that is the current default.

In the past, HP has tested its innovations on a sample Hubber population. I don't know that they did that this time, because I didn't receive any notice of it and haven't heard of anyone who has. But I think it would have been a smart move.

I'm not sure how it works, either, Mrvoodoo, so I guess we are left to our suppositions in the absence of clarification.

Are you saying that I don't deserve the exposure because of  my opinion of my hub?  I'm just wondering.  seems to be how everyone feels.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
          Mrvoodooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No not at all.  You seem to be more concerned about your cause than any additional monies the extra exposure might have brought (although I'm sure some extra cash would be nice to wink ).  And to me, that's as good a reason as any to be featured, and most likely the reason you are featured, because despite a few meat-heads bugging you, you're obviously getting plenty of genuine likes. smile

What I meant was, if I log in one day and see 'Buy my eBook and make a million dollars a day' type hubs in the top spot, I'll be more than a little suspicious about through what means they got there.  It can be very easy to manipulate these things if the pay-off is worth the effort.

thank you....I appreciate that.  I am very passionate about my opinion.  The post you just replied to was actually old.... I actually saw the nicer comment you left and thanked you. I think it is on the next page. lol  thanks again!

LOL, yeah, I did catch that, my pleasure, but thought I'd better explain what I'd meant in my earlier post.

Anyways, off to bed now, so enjoy, and take care.

6. Pandoras Box profile image59
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

Wow. HubPages people are really extremely way totally religious! At least, that's the way this facebook thingie makes it look.

Just an observation in case noone else has mentioned that.

Good observation...sort of sends the wrong message, doesn't it?

7. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Are you ready with the violin Mr. Music? smile

Where is that place that we joined; which made us feel like we were special (and we are!) and we really, genuinely felt that as 'special' and loyal people; we could help grow the site for the long term 'mutual' benefit of all who positively contributed to it? hmm

Realistically sites that say 'No' to FaceBook will realistically have a long term future! That's part of being Special.. and part of Leading the Market, rather than following the ones that will eat you anyway... unless you're smarter, with a stable full of special and loyal writers to rely on!

8. Michael Willis profile image68
      Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

I also do Not like this being on my Hubs. I was getting an AD in this place (to my benefit) and now only 4 people other than my Hubs receive the benefit from HP. I lose out and a certain few "across all of HP as mentioned earlier" benefit. I agree it was a bad move also.

If you want this FB on OUR hubs, then why not list the Top 4 HUBS by the Author of the HUB written??? This way WE the HP members benefit as a whole!

Or at least give us an "Opt-Out" for this.

9. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

not crazy about it. sorry. I was reading a hub last night and glanced over and saw my full name and was surprised. I wondered who all could see it. the hub I was reading is not someone I follow or one of my facebook friends. I have my profile set to private, so how is that affected if someone clicks on my name in one of those links?

Thank you! I was trying to keep the two separate!, but I am sure this is in the small print someplace. I noticed with this contest on HubMob they really cross us over all media. Twitter, Facebook, Vimeo, and on...

2. Peggy W profile image95
        Peggy Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you rebekahELLE,

I was surprised as much as you were to see my face and name on a Facebook link to the right of one of my hubs.  I don't like that.  Hopefully we can opt out of this "add on" by hubpages.  We can already add our hubs to Facebook and tweet them if we wish. 

All of a sudden I have been getting LOADS of new people whom I do not know wishing to be my friends on Facebook...and many of their photos look like girls of not so good character.  One picture of a girl was the same on 2 different names.  Of course, I do not allow them...but it is a distraction that I do not need or desire.

PLEASE think about this, hubpages staff.  I would DEFINITELY opt out.

10. RedElf profile image90

The privacy issue is of concern, especially to women online, rebekahELLE. I also agree that HubPages is a unique experience, and a strong writing community.

I just don't like the intrusiveness of FaceBook, and I would like to have the choice to whether to participate.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
        Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think there's a misunderstanding here.  There is no personal information being shared about you in this plugin.  For people who are signed into Facebook when they visit your hub (or choose to log in in a window that pops up if they click the "Login" button in the plugin), it has links to hubs with the most Facebook "likes," as well as recent HubPages-related activity by THEIR friends.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

so when I was reading that hub and saw my name in the FB link, [and I was logged into FB] if someone else was reading that hub they would see something different if they weren't one of my FB friends?

11. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed and resentful by this increased intrusion of Facebook integration with HP. It's leaving a very bad taste in my mouth. I had no intention of joining FB and I resent like heck having to, to stay competitive here. Whoever is pushing this at HP, should really consider the implications of what will happen when we all start to waste time gaming it. Because most of us who came here to make money, will start to game it.

We're weighing all this feedback very carefully.  We appreciate your honesty and the consideration that goes into your comments.

For the record, you would not have to join Facebook to get a benefit from this.  Search engine traffic who are signed into FB when they visit your hubs derive value from seeing more personalized recommendations from their friends' HubPages-related activities on FB (so the logic goes).  If your hubs are being liked on Facebook, by anyone, you potentially benefit.

1. Rafini profile image83
          Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If your hubs are being liked on Facebook, by anyone, you potentially benefit.

It's really rather difficult for someone's hubs to be liked on Facebook without them having an account on Facebook.  Because, who would post a link to begin with?   hmm  Plus, those who have more 'friends' on Facebook would potentially benefit more than someone who doesn't accept friendships with everyone who comes along....  It seems to me that adding Facebook links is just another popularity contest for the world within HubPages to deal with, not that there's anything wrong with that, if that's what you're writing for....

1. Anesidora profile image61
            Anesidoraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very simple. A bunch of hubbers gets together and constantly recommends each others' work on their facebook accounts. Because hey, I want to be one of those spammy people constantly bombarding my facebook friends and family with every little hub I or any of my five dozen best hubpages buddies writes.

For people who have chosen on their own volition to play the facebook/hubpages game, this could be good, especially once those people get organized about it. Very easy to repeatedly share. For HubPages -good, you guys get circles going and make more money, theoretically.

For those of us who choose not to constantly impose on our friends and family, we lose. I feel like I'm being pressured to do something I very much do not want to do. Sure I can ignore it, but the reality of it is that it will then begin to siphon off my viewers, that I'm working hard to attract, to someone else's hub because they play the facebook game, and it will give me nothing in return. I lose something, and gain nothing.   

That is another issue. I understand that we can all sink or swim together, but this new pressure to facebook recommend is just one more thing pulling us away from spending time actually producing decent, quality hubs.

The end result will be -I'd guess- the promotion of hubs written by social butterflies which will not be of the best quality and will eventually give HubPages a bad spammy reputation. HubPages will become known as that spammy website constantly being pushed in Facebook.

And then who would take us seriously?

I understand the need for growth, and I acknowledge the current wisdom that social networking sites should be utilized. I don't think this is the way to do it.

Peoples' first exposure to HubPages shouldn't be via a concerted facebook campaign by some encouraged group of writers constantly spamming them.

That's my two cents, I hope HubPages will strongly consider the dollar we've all collectively laid on the table and not let greed ruin everything.

Let it be an optional module, and not a forced drain on the livelihoods of those of us who would rather not play that game.

No, I don't think this is one of those things that benefits HubPages as a whole. I think it will drive away good internet writers, and leave HubPages left with a bad reputation, a Bollywood directory and a bunch of online diaries, and no offence intended to that one diarist here who i do like and whose work I do enjoy, but that ain't gonna make anyone any money.

Yes, it's getting the word out, making HubPages a more prominent name, but it's like when Quizno's subs came out with a line of commercials that featured a rat as their mascot. The image that gets stuck in peoples' minds may not be the one you want there.

12. lakeerieartists profile image61
      lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

I keep seeing the same FB stuff on every page, and not really related to the page.  Not liking it so far.

13. profile image0

Maddie that means I have to joint the FB popularity contest to make sure that someone there likes my hubs, because right now no one does. So my stuff isn't going to get featured.

The way I see this playing out is that, I drive traffic to my hub, through the incessant promotion that I do, and then it gets whisked away because they see a FB friend, that's playing the FB game.

Eventually I bet this little space will become a FB ad, encouraging a sign up, if the visitor isn't signed in.

(I just looked at it, it does encourage them to login.)

1. Michael Willis profile image68
        Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with Nellie on this one.  It will become a popularity contest by FB friends instead of benefiting all hubbers. The more FB friends you have...the better chance of being featured. Which then promotes a select few on HP.  Reminds me of those "vote for your favorite..." and the first listed or the "Most Popular" always are featured and quality writing is set aside.
        I hope it is done away with.

14. acewebdesign profile image60
      acewebdesignposted 13 years ago

I think that this will be a very useful feature to have

15. profile image0

I've already come up with 10 outrageous hub ideas, that I could promote on FB. If I understand this right, I don't have to write them as Nelle. But if I had lots of friends under my alter ego, then when they visit Nelle hubs logged in, they would see the other hubs, and visit me! Right?

I need to go viral. Just because I'm 53, doesn't mean I can't think like a 23 year old.

But maybe this is much ado about nothing and people who come to well-targeted hubs won't care about the FB widget.

16. rebekahELLE profile image85

I think it helps to go back and read the link that Paul has in the OP.

17. MyInfo411 profile image73
      MyInfo411posted 13 years ago

I definitely DO NOT want every hub I've posted to fb to show.  With fb I decide who knows my real name; now with this enabled, everyone knows my real name and can contact me.  I DO NOT LIKE THIS AT ALL!

Again, this is a misunderstanding.  Other people see only what their friends have posted on Facebook.

Bingo.

18. MyInfo411 profile image73

MY NAME AND MAIDEN NAME IS NOW ON MY HUBS BECAUSE I'VE POSTED THEM ON FB.  WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.  WHEN I FIRST JOINED HUBPAGES, SHOWING THIS INFORMATION WAS OPTIONAL.  PLEASE, TAKE THESE FB LINKS OFF MY HUBS.  PLEASE.

Stop panicking, take a deep breath, and go read my response to your last post.  Unless someone is Facebook friends with you already, he or she will not see your name.

1. Andrew0208 profile image57
          Andrew0208posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Having studied it carefully, I agree with you on that  "Unless someone is Facebook friends with you already, he or she will not see your name."

Can you make the display of shared hubs on Facebook by our readers rotational, not showing only highly and most shared/liked hubs?

19. rebekahELLE profile image85

now that I understand it better, I kind of like seeing what my other friends like. seriously, I don't think it would matter that much to someone coming in from a search. It seems to be more for the user than a visitor. if I want to check out what someone likes, then I read it. at least that's how I'm understanding it.

20. MyInfo411 profile image73

Okay...sorry for the panic.  Once I logged out of fb on one of my open tabs, my fb activity no longer showed up on hubs.  Yes, it does seem to be more for the user....

21. profile image0

In the past HP has always tested new ads on their impressions - not ours. And I invite them to do this now, with this widget. Or let us opt out of it, like we do with the accolades.

RebekahELLE, see you're on FB, many of us aren't. It's just one big leak to us!

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm undecided, because I still don't understand what a visitor will see. If someone comes from a search, what do they see in that box?

whose names? I'm still not crazy about visitors seeing peoples names on our pages. or being whisked away to another hub.

FB can definitely be an asset with traffic and having your hubs reach more people, but I still keep my profile set to private. I choose my friends there, it's not like here where anyone can follow you. I don't want everyone knowing my business.

If that person is logged into Facebook, they will see what their (Facebook) friends have liked/shared on HubPages.

They can only see the names of their own (Facebook) friends.

This doesn't change any of that. If you liked/shared a Hub on Facebook, the only people that would see that in the plugin would be exactly the same people who can see your Facebook profile (i.e. your Facebook friends).

22. Jason Menayan profile image60
      Jason Menayanposted 13 years ago

There are a few misconceptions about the Facebook Recommendations plugin:

- the plugin detects if the visitor - not the Hub author - is logged into Facebook when they visit the Hub. If they are logged in, and if one or more of their Facebook friends has shared/liked a Hub, then it will appear in the Recommendations box. So, it doesn't matter if you are or are not on Facebook, it only matters if your Hubs' visitors are.

- the links in the plugin are not hard-coded, so there is no risk of "leaking linkjuice" to other Hubs

- the only way your Facebook name will appear in the box is if you had liked/shared a Hub on Facebook (either your own or someone else's) and one of your Facebook friends reads a Hub. They will see that you, their friend, has liked/shared some other Hub on the site.

We agreed that the backfilled "general" recommendations, which are apparently based on their overall share/like popularity, were a bit too distracting, so we've removed that.

23. rebekahELLE profile image85

what if the visitor is logged into FB but has never read/liked a hub nor any of his FB friends?

I had written that more for those who are not on FB. it's nice to know it's only your friends. thanks for the reply.

Then the plugin will be empty, I presume.

24. profile image0

Jason it's about leaking shoppers, not linkjuice.

It's another thing for them to click away from my products or ads. I honestly don't see what benefit I derive from this on my impressions.

I have no personal info on FB and never will, so I could care less about that.

I'm at HP to make money, not play on FB. Although I can see where the more social or hobby hubber might actually think this is fun.

I understand what you mean, but the Facebook plugin is just one of the various things we've instituted on the site to enhance the site's overall SEO, visibility to searchers, and traffic diversity, all of which benefit everyone...including you.

Imagine if someone shares/likes one of your Hubs on Facebook, and because of that, friends of that person who are on HubPages later see that your Hub is recommended to them by someone they know. That's a pretty powerful endorsement to check out your Hub.

I also have my suspicion that Google is able to detect and follow share/like links on people's Facebook walls that are public, so there might be an SEO benefit as well to the Hubs (directly) and everyone else on the site (indirectly). But that's just my speculation at this point. smile

25. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Other traffic diversion modules(site seo)are at least in theory a fair exchange between HP members and relatively targeted within themes and categories, the FB plug-in is always going to highlight the lowest common denominator ..

For example:

Top groups among the facebook demographic include:

I Want To Punch Slow Walking People In The Back Of The Head

1,000,000 Strong For Stephen T Colbert

I Dont care How Comfortable Crocs Are, You Look Like A Dumbass.

If you remember this you grew up in the 90′s

Social traffic is dumb and this plugin will be populated by dumb topics (as an average) - entertainment /politics/ stupid humor

If the plug-in only shows what a circle of friends is sharing between themselves - why does HP need to showcase that? - its already happening among the friends within their Facebook feeds and walls.

Its just a leak...unless you start a big ad promo at Facebook, I dont see how your getting a fair exchange of traffic.

Sunforged, did you see that we removed the "general" (most popular) recommendations?

The only thing that will be seen will be the visitor's friends' recommendations. I suspect that most visitors will not balk at seeing recommendations from the people they trust.

I do understand the distinction, they will see the same thing they would see within their own Facebook feeds among their own group of friends.

So whats the added value to an Individual Hub author. You have brought Facebook to Hubpages but what is Hubpages taking from Facebook that they were not already getting?

An ad campaign by Hubpages at Facebook that was targeted around your category pages that was designed to showcase Hubpage articles and attract readers ( your ad campaigns (that I have seen) currently are designed to attract new Hub Authors) could balance this leak out.

Its not as a big of a deal as we are making it out to be, Its  a low visibility area and probably hasnt proven effective for advertising or this integration wouldnt have occurred anyway.

We do quite a bit to bring traffic to the site and to Hubs. As you all know, our financial incentives are the same as yours.

Paying for traffic has not worked out in terms of ROI for us, but free promotion via Facebook's tools, we hope, will be effective.

Well thank you for pointing at the bottom line Jason. You know there are actually some quite commercially bright people on this site... perhaps building the bridges with some of the clever ones who double up as poor old writers, instead of as I said earlier; chasing the FB Dream round the block may well be far more beneficial and far more immediate + result-wise.

It appears that this is a done deal already irrespective of how we feel about it.

I guess when it comes to what it means to be a FB Dumbass.. we don't need crocs to look the part! hmm

26. profile image0

The plug-in isn't empty if you're not a member. I'm not a member and I see Lady GaGa and seveal other ridiculous headlines and and invitation to log in.

My apologies. You're right. If you're not logged into Facebook, that's what you'll see.

If you are logged in to Facebook, you'll only see Friends' recommendations.

1. Andrew0208 profile image57
          Andrew0208posted 13 years agoin reply to this

When logged out or visited ordinarily just like a mere visitor...Can you make they three displayed hubs liked on Facebook rotational and relevant?

If done, that will be a lot better.

2. Haunty profile image73
          Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This goes against much of what has been said previously. A lot of visitors will not be facebook members. Will they then see an assortment of random people's shares/likes?

no, they see trending recommendations such as "what color are lady gagas panties" and "which religion should we attack today"

Oh well... The next biggest thing on fb is geared to be the Human Centipede... so I guess the keyword 'blowass' will be very relevant.. as will 'optorectomy' and 'recyclable dietry fibres'.

Just what the fb doctor ordered... perfect trendy hubs, stitched together in classic 'tongue in groove' joinery.
              Film Director John Six puts a whole different slant on 'foot long hot dogs!'

Can you imagine the traffic for the hubs on this movie? hmm

3. Mrvoodoo profile image57

'We agreed that the backfilled "general" recommendations, which are apparently based on their overall share/like popularity, were a bit too distracting, so we've removed that.'

So have the general recommendations been done away with, or not?

There seems to be some confusion over this.  Because it's looking like they're very much still there.

Before:
            FB logged in: your friends' recommendations + general "most popular" recommendations
            FB logged out: general "most popular" recommendations

Now:
            FB logged in: your friends' recommendations only
            FB logged out: general "most popular" recommendations

These are the only two ways the plugin can be configured. If you'd like to see the documentation yourself, you can look here.

OK, thanks.  I guess we're going to have to learn to live with it then, or learn how to make it work to our own benefit. 

Either way, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.  That as always (regardless of the outcome) is very much appreciated.

I agree about it being able to work to your benefit.

Look at it this way: by now everyone should know what their Hub Feedback numbers are looking like, a few months in (even if you've chosen to hide it from public view). Keep in mind that for a logged-in Facebook visitors, who could easily be a majority of incoming visitors given the popularity of the site, it's just as easy to hit the "like" button on the top of your Hub as it is to give Hub Feedback.

When someone "likes" your Hub, then that person's friends will see that he/she liked your Hub in the Recommendations plugin box. It is probably happening more often than you think.

'It is probably happening more often than you think.'

True enough. 

I noticed the other day that one of my hubs had had over seventy 'likes' since those top tabs were implemented.  I was pretty shocked, I'd always assumed that the majority of my traffic hit the back-button within seconds and cursed me for diluting the quality of their net-surfing experience. big_smile

Wow, that's impressive!

Now that means that friends of those 70 people (which would be approx 9,100 people if there were no overlap and they were average Facebook users) who land on any other Hub, and that are logged into Facebook, are going to see a recommendation from someone they trust to check out your Hub.

Keep in mind we get over 28 million visitors on HubPages every month... smile

OK, I'm sold on it.  And feeling a little guilty for thinking self-centered thoughts (and of ways to manipulate it) when we should have been congratulating those who enjoyed a little extra traffic from it.

So as long as it doesn't get gamed, and genuine hubbers like the hippi girl benefit from it, I'm all for it (for what it matters).

4. CMHypno profile image83
          CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am confused as I have logged into Facebook, but I'm still getting Lady GaGa and Yaweh hubs being listed?

1. Pandoras Box profile image59
            Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if none of your facebook friends have shared any thing on hubpages, then your friends' recommendations list will still display the default most popular religious stuff.

1. CMHypno profile image83
              CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As my friends have better things to do, then unfortunately it seems that I am stuck with Yaweh smiting the general populace and Lady GaGa strutting her stuff. Not happy!

Thanks for answering my question for me, Pandoras Box

hmmmmmmm...my hub is one of those ridiculous headlines you speak of.  How rude.

27. ngureco profile image81
      ngurecoposted 13 years ago

In my opinion, this shouldn’t be a big threat as the titles in “FB Recommendations’ box” can not beat the titles in “Related hubs’ box” in the eyes of a genuine reader who is interested in reading the subject of my hub.

May be you can bring the two boxes just next to each other.

Perhaps the FB box could be positioned under the google ads at the bottom of the hub.... so that the reading experience isn't compromised at all hmm

28. triosol profile image62
      triosolposted 13 years ago

I had seen this earlier and thought that they were pretty useful. Thanks Paul & HubPages team for improving HubPages.

Cheerz

29. Andrew0208 profile image57
      Andrew0208posted 13 years ago

@HubPages Team, please let the facebook recommendations display liked hubs randomly and relevantly to readers/visitors, and for hubbers when logged in, it's okay, secured and private since you're seeing only your friend's activity not just other facebook users.

Internally, the viral traffic nature of facebook is unbeatable. Why? People can share/like your hubs without you being a facebook member. Thanks.

30. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 13 years ago

When I clicked one of those fb "recommendations" and then used my browser's back button to return to the Hub where I started, I instead got directed to here:

http://www.facebook.com/plugins/activit … ions=false

This page displays only the fb plugin, which is not the expectation one has when using a back button. This is not a navigation experience I want my readers (or any HP reader for that matter) to have. In addition, as someone else noted earlier, the fb plugin is asking you to log in to fb. I imagine that when someone takes that time to log in to fb, they will not be returning to my Hubs any time soon, Hubs that I put a lot of work into to encourage readers to remain on my Hub pages and on HubPages.com in general. This digression nicely undermines the purpose of the Suggest Links tool.

31. kerryg profile image84
      kerrygposted 13 years ago

I'm getting the general recommendations both logged in and logged out of Facebook, because I use Facebook to connect with real friends and family and have never shared a hub there, nor have any of my friends.

I'm okay with the 15 REASONS TO STOP EATING MEAT because it's a decent, if biased, hub and the Gaga hub because Hope Alexander is hilarious. I am NOT pleased that my hubs are now promoting fundamentalist religious c*** by default to anyone whose friends have never Liked a hub.

(It does amuse me that it's fundamentalist Jewish religious c*** though.) lol

Can we have an opt-out option? By default, the sorts of hubs that will tend to be promoted by this widget will be the controversial ones, and more suited to the forums than a serious, informational hub of the sort I (mostly) write.

You bring up a very good point about your Hubs promoting Hubs that you would never do on your own.

The title of the plugin, "Recommendations" implies that the author of the Hub is endorsing the Hubs that appear in the plugin. For those of us who have nothing to do with fb, it is not at all clear that these recommendations are coming via fb users and not by way of the Hub author. The title of the plugin ought to be more specific, something like "Hubs Facebook Friends are Reading."

And I definitely agree that an opt-out should be available.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)