Small Update: Facebook Recommendations in hub sidebar

Jump to Last Post 51-98 of 98 discussions (248 posts)
  1. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I first noticed this plug-in last night. I had several pages open and my photo appeared in all of them. Not just my photo but my real name. I immediately logged out of Facebook and it returned to the default Not Eating Meat/Lady Gaga stuff that everyone else saw.
    I am now seriously considering getting rid of Facebook even though all my fiends and family are over there, else starting a new anonymous account solely for Hubpages and other hubbers.
    Facebook is far too intrusive in our private lives - that is why I share very little there except my real name and school I attended (so that old friends can find me). Those over there know me already. It never occurred to me when I joined in a 'befriending hubbers on Facebook' spree a few weeks ago that suddenly my real name (and theirs) was there for the world to see.
    Anonymity online is for our protection. We are actually safer from identity fraud if no-one knows who we are. Don't we teach kids not to share their personal details online, yet here we are doing the same?
    I'm not sure what this collaboration is going to achieve. Will watch this thread with interest.

2. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 13 years ago

Regarding the opt-out (and why there won't be one):

The "most popular"/general recommendations are determined by Facebook alone, solely on the number of likes/shares. You might not care for vegetarianism, Messianic Judaism, or Lady Gaga, but apparently there are hundreds out there who do.

But this list is constantly updated and we could see different Hubs percolate to the top of this list based on shares/likes. What if someone who wants an opt-out but his/her Hub appears there? S/he gets the benefit of getting cross-site promotion but no "leaks" from his/her Hubs.

The same goes for people who are logged in to Facebook when they land on a Hub (and there are far more Facebook users than you might think). We can not filter out recommendations for those who have opted-out of showing the plugin in their Hubs, so if everyone could potentially benefit, then everyone should participate.

Like I mentioned before, you can argue for your own self-interest here but we approach the development of the site much more broadly. This is why each and every Hub gets a bit of a benefit from everyone's efforts to promote the site elsewhere. Especially if you make no effort at all to promote yours or anyone else's Hubs off site, you should realize that you're still getting an indirect benefit from those who do.

1. Andrew0208 profile image57
      Andrew0208posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Jason, truly, with time hubbers will begin to understand the need for this new development. No leak anywhere! I strongly believe that your team, even Facebook will continue to improve on it for the best of users and generally for the community. It's a give and take thing. Internally, it will boost our reach with quality traffic and relevance across the globe.

Change they say is constant. And this change is for good. Many people will appreciate this later.

2. theherbivorehippi profile image65
      theherbivorehippiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes Jason....according to my hub views on the "15 Reasons to Stop Eating Meat"  there are A LOT of people that agree with me and disagree but either way....my message is getting out there.  I find it sad that so many people on here are complaining about everything.  I don't necessarily agree with other recommended hubs but so what....everyone has a right to their opinion.  That hub currently shows 508 Likes from Facebook so obviously people want to read it.

i'm pleased with the application! smile (Well...aside from the many disgusting and rude comments I have deleted off the hub in the past 24 hours)

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
        Jason Menayanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd be interested to see how your Hub changes ranking from Google in the days/months ahead. Right now you're #6 for "reasons to stop eating meat"
        http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=c … ating+meat

1. theherbivorehippi profile image65

lol Yay!  I will keep checking it for sure.  Most of my views on the hub are from Facebook over the past 24 hours.

2. Pandoras Box profile image61
        Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Would you be equally pleased if instead of your hub being featured the standard default hubs were something like '15 Ways to Butcher a Cow', 'Best Way to Devour a Hog', 'Save the Wheat - Eat Lots and Lots of Juicy Red Meat' and 'Vegetarians Are All Hell-Bound Sinners?'

Come now, would you truly love all those hubs you would call ridiculous being displayed ever so proudly in a facebook box on every one of your anti-meateaters hubs?

I'm not hassling you, I do agree it's not your fault, obviously. But I think you'd be as equally perturbed and disgusted as others are right now if you had no choice but to allow opposing viewpoints to your own to be featured on every single page you publish. Of course, 'had no choice' is a strong term. We do have a choice, but not one that is comfortable, so of course people are upset.

No biggie in the end. HubPages makes the rules and we can love it or leave it or just find a way to work with it for the time being. I'm not jumping on your case over it, certainly, and I don't think anyone else should either.

And for the record, I really don't have any problems with your herbivore hub, it's the wing-nutter religious crap that offends me. But wing-nutters are friggin' nuts, so they'll always be at the top of such a feature. Nobody else but wing-nutters are so expert at shamelessly imposing their viewpoints upon everyone else, so nothing else will ever knock the wing-nutters off of the most shared on facebook list.

The vast majority of internet users will see the defaults. It's unfortunate, but I get it. Oh well.

3. RedElf profile image90
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

Jason, I have checked out the changes we are able to make, but am not sure how to implement those changes in my hubs. The site gives you a piece of code for the plugin, but where do we input the code so we can modify the  plug-in. As well, do we have to change each capsule on each hub?

RedElf - unfortunately the only controls are those listed in that link I provided (basically, width, color, whether you want friends' recommendations backfilled with most popular). We have the same settings for all Hubs, but as you can see, there's not much we can change.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

this thread just appeared in the forums. one of the hubs that is recommended in the plugin. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/52320

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure would be nice to get 1,000,000 views in one day!  Can you imagine the clicks and revenue a hubber can attain if they're lucky enough to be "Recommended"?  I've no idea how many hubs there are, but how long will it be before every hubber has been cycled through the "Recommendations" list?  Because that's what's going to happen, right?  Otherwise, what's the point in anyone else trying to earn money?

5. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Okay, I logged into Facebook just so I could see what it looked like - the box is titled "Recommendations"...why are the hubs missing that were there before?  Now I have links to things shared...4 shared links (only 1 says it's from hubpages) and 1 link for 1 thing liked.  So, in other words, if my friends don't 'like' my hubs or link to them, my hubs wont end up on the recommendations list?  Again, I feel like it's a popularity contest.  Is that really what the world is coming to?  Only the popular will survive, rather than the fittest?  I don't like this Facebook plugin at all.  I don't want to see a social networking site unless that's where my focus is, and I'd much rather be focused on reading and commenting on hubs and my writing when I'm logged into HubPages.

One other thing - my facebook friends already get notified of everything I do on Facebook, why would they need to see it on my hubs too?  Facebook overkill....

It's not for your friends.

It's for the friends of people who have liked/shared your Hubs on Facebook, most of whom you probably have never and will never meet.

Remember, what you see in your Recommendations box is not what other visitors are seeing if they are logged into Facebook.

When someone looks at my hubs and is logged into Facebook at the same time, they will see what their friends are currently sharing or liking, right?  Which means, the potentiality is there for each and every reader to quickly exit whichever hub they're reading because their friends recent activity catches their eye. 

Anyone and everyone on Facebook is already notified of their friends activities - whether by email or on their own Facebook home page - so why do they need to be notified on our hubs, too?  It seems to me all the outgoing links will be counterproductive to earning valuable readers and clicks.

That's the "glass is half empty" viewpoint. What makes you think that an equal number of people aren't quickly exiting other people's Hubs and visiting yours?
            It's a reminder. Besides, not everyone's status update or offsite action is visible in the standard Facebook feed, nor are all paid attention to.

My hubs aren't on the recommendations list or overly promoted on Facebook in order to get people to 'like' it. hmm 

It seems to me the Facebook plugin will act as another magnet for those who already are experts at SEO and backlinking.  It also seems to me the Facebook plugin will be most beneficial to those who are most knowledgeable about, and active with, internet marketing whether or not they write quality hubs.

I understand the Facebook plugin most likely is a financial decision, but is it really the best decision?  I honestly don't think it's necessary to see Facebook everywhere I turn when I'm online.  I know it's there (as I'm sure everyone else does who's a member) and I know how to find it when I'm interested in logging in (as I'm sure everyone else does who's a member).  Even people who aren't members knows it's there, and I'm sure most of them even know how to find it.

Keep in mind that those who do no promotion of their (or anyone else's) Hubs offsite draw benefit, however indirectly, from those who do.

That's the last I'll say on the matter.

6. RedElf profile image90

Can you please tell me in REALLY simple language how to implement the changes we are allowed to make wink

I have followed the link and clicked (whatever) buttons, and then the page says "Get Code"

Do I "get" the code? And then what do I do with it?

Am I going to the wrong page or something?

Hi RedElf,

Sorry about the confusion. The plugin has been deployed in the exact same way across the entire site; you can not tweak its implementation on your Hubs.

I was just pointing to the developer page to show that our ability to change the way it's implemented on the site is rather limited... (i.e. we can not change the "most popular" listings, etc.)

1. RedElf profile image90
        RedElfposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OK - thanks, Jason. Sorry, I was indulging in some straight-line thinking, there. No worries big_smile

7. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

In other words, the thoughts and comments from Hubbers does not matter in this. Our "Input" is null and void as mentioned last night it would be?
    FB will be with us whether we want it or not.
    Our hubs will promote those that are popular with Facebook more than those of our own! We lose the AD Space to FB that we were receiving and could lead to our benefit.  Congrats to the FB writers on HP and HP for Their benefit that the rest of us will give You!

I still am for the Opt-Out method!!! Rather it not even be on any of my hubs!!! I only use FB for Private Use, not the "any one who wants to friend me just to see how many friends they can link."

I don't approve anyone that I don't know for Facebook.  My account is only for private use.  So far, no one has requested to be my friend based on my hub (featured I am the Resons to stop eating meat person that everyone is so incredibly unhappy with)...HoWEVER...i do not use my real name on here so I may be just lucking out.  If Michael Willis is your real name then yeah..you probably would see a lot of requests but I mean you can just deny them though.  I would.

1. Michael Willis profile image68
        Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I deny anyone on FB I do not know or want on my page. I even delete those I know who constantly spam my FB Wall.

Lol...ME TOO!!  I go through deleting binges every couple weeks.

Your feedback clearly did matter; we turned off "most popular" entries for FB-logged-in visitors, due to feedback we were getting in this thread.

And as I made clear in an earlier post, your use or lack of use of Facebook is completely immaterial to how this plugin works. All that matters is whether your visitors use it.

8. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

Well, I write my hubs for information I choose to share and to make money as well...Not send my "visitors" somewhere else. List the FB Recommendations to MY most popular hubs and I can agree with this...not to make money for someone else. HP will still get their share.

Or at the minimum why not change it to "recommend popular Hubs in the specific category?"

Since it seems the EDIT function is not working......

Edit this: Or at the minimum why not change it to "recommend popular Hubs in the SAME specific category?"

We make money the exact same way you do. If there's a "leak" on the page (and there are many, many more than the Facebook Recommendations plugin) it's because there's a reason for it. Again, you are assuming you're only losing visitors, and not gaining any.

Re: category-specific recommendations. That's not possible, as you might have noticed in the Facebook Activity Feed spec that I've posted.

1. Pcunix profile image89
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, yes.  We understand that you aren't going to consciously do something that lowers earnings.

I guess I'll just have to annoy my peeps with stuff I know they don't care about if I want to benefit on the incoming side of this.   I just don't like doing that sad

You guys certainly put up with a lot of complaints, don't you?  I personally like the feature and it's not like it's in the middle of the page....it's off to the side where not everyone is going to notice it.  I didn't even notice it at first.  There are topics on there that I don't agree with but who really cares?  I don't think this is something everyone should be getting all worked up about.

I just want to say I think you guys do a great job running Hubpages! smile

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
          Mrvoodooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I guess it's possible that you could be considered just a tiny bit biased in your opinion. :p

lol...no...I just really don't see complaining about something so small.  I would prefer to not have any kind of religious links to anything on my page but it's not worth getting irritated over.  I just know that people always complain on here about every single change that is implemented until something else comes along and then they complain about that.  I usually stay out of the forums for that reason.  A lot of people just seem to be set in their ways when sometimes change is good. smile

That and yes...I guess am a bit biased...lol

'I just know that people always complain on here about every single change that is implemented until something else comes along and then they complain about that.  I usually stay out of the forums for that reason.  A lot of people just seem to be set in their ways when sometimes change is good.'

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss110/MrVoodoo123/tylerstaff.jpg  "I'll bring us through this. As always. I'll carry you - kicking and screaming - and in the end you'll thank me." (Tyler Durden/HubPages Staff)

2. Pearldiver profile image66
          Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You know herbhippi.. You are missing a great deal here; while at the same time making derogatory remarks yourself about ALL OF US.

You neglect to acknowledge that poeple like me are promoting you on all of our pages, under duress and with the potential of having our traffic moving to your site!

I personally feel you ought to Thank Us for the exposure - rather than make snide remarks about others who give you the opportunity and the benefit of the work that we have done to get them to our site in the first place!

Getting a #6 rank is easy when you have EVERY single page on HP working for you isn't it? hmm

I have many of my pages well inside that ranking... What I object to is having people that appreciate MY work and ranking called over to people that have done nothing for me... bar made indirect snide remarks in a forum.
          Please Do Not Consider That My Opinion Is Based on a Jealousy Thing or alike.... It is an Honest, Objective Observation!

Isn't it easy to ignore such things.. if you benefit from a Take It or Leave situation? hmm

Why should I thank people that are protesting it.  It's not you that is placing me on your page...it is people on facebook who are voting it that way.  When one person "likes" my article and then all of their friends do and their friends and so on.....that is how I am staying there.  I checked my stats on the hub and BARELY any are coming from Hubpages....they are almost ALL from Facebook.. This is why I think the attitude should cease.  I have put up with a lot of BS comments on my hubs and reading through here...I kept quiet on a lot of things.  I'm not putting anyone else down...I just think people are over reacting and need to chill out a little. 

Surely there is something else in everyone's life that they can direct their worrying too.

So don't attack me because people on Facebook like me article.  The people that are getting the most angry about this are all giving yourself far too much credit because not much traffic is coming directly from your hubs!

AND what about all the hubs that are always featured as the top hubs or the recommended ones on the main page?  No one has a problem with those?  I have never complained because my hubs never are there.  I'm just tired of everyone's cattiness.

1. Pandoras Box profile image61

They're not featured on every single page we publish and spend time promoting. As far as related hubs go, they're related to WHAT WE WRITE! So we invite the topic and are presumably prepared to deal with the topic if it's one we're writing on anyway. Additionally they add link juice to our pages by being related material.

These facebook features have nothing to do with us. They're controversial issues, and always will be, because that's what facebook users share. High drama, political rantings, social issues and religious crap.

None of those topics are high revenue producers. Those of us who write our hubs to market rather than to evangelize can NEVER compete with viral viruses. No, we cannot. No, they're kidding you, it won't happen. It will always be issues which are predominantly featured, and celebrity news of course.

And somebody brought up a very good point. People are nosy. If they see their friends names displayed on a random web page, it will grab their attention, and they'll be done perusing my iPad cases for sale and clicking quickly away to go see what crazy stuff their facebook friends are reading.

By the time they get through with all that crap, they'll be ready to get off the net. Their new iPad case will have to wait for another day. And when they come back they already know straight where to go. Amazon, minus the HubPages link.

But it's okay because more hubs have been viewed, whether or not the viewers bothered to buy or click. Show them a facebook feature and they stop being customers and start being facebook users, bouncing around to see what their friends are doing.

People don't facebook like product or adsense optimized hubs, they just ***do their business*** and leave. That's what we want them to do. Conduct business. Now they'll stick around a bit longer, but not in customer mode, and not on hubs with much earnings potential.

But if HubPages thinks that will benefit them in the long run, then of course it's their perogative, and maybe it will. But no matter how you spin it, I don't believe it will benefit product marketers. Product reviews don't go viral.

1. profile image0
                  EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hate to sound pessimistic, but I think you're right.

F***ing Facebook.  I already hated it - now I hate it even more.

2. Pearldiver profile image66

lol You Completely Missed the points that I made! roll

They were valid and also relevant points.

You Ask: Why should you Thank People who Promote your work on their own pages, whether they do so under duress or willingly?

It's Called: 'Courtesy!'

You clearly also missed the word and it's meaning roll
              Maybe it got lost in the last Ham Sandwich lol

BTW... I Didn't put Derogatory remarks on Your Hubs.... You Should take that up with the parties that did so.... Not the ones that give you complimentary lessons in courtesy/life skills smile

You think that I don't find your Ham Sandwich remark offensive?  How rude of you to say that to me.  As for courtesy?  I'm all out of courtesy.  It's not like anyone volunteered to do this and all everyone is doing is bashing me so why the &*$% would I thank anyone who is being rude?  I have personally thanked those that are being respectable about the situation. 

Oh...you must be one of those people that needs recognition for everything you do right?  Well I don't.  I don't expect the other people's hubs that are featured on my page to thank me.  I just rechecked my hub and ONLY 80 views have come to that hub from Hubpages in 8 months.  Everything is else is coming from outside sources, especially Facebook.

Personally...I hope you choke on that Ham sandwich over there.  I'll be over here eating something that didn't involve killing or harming an animal. 

Ciao

Do you think if your hub was featured on my page that I would be acting like this?  Absolutely not!  I am the kind of person that wants to see other people succeed.  I'm not going to complain about it nor do I expect a thank you because I'm not the one that put it there.

The immaturity and attitude directed my way is absolutely ridiculous.  You need to grow up and evaluate what's really wrong in your life that causes you to be so hurtful toward someone else who has done nothing to you.

9. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Jason maybe I'm not getting you. But if I don't particpate at all in FB, how can my boring shopping hubs ever be talked about there. So I don't see how any of my hubs could possibly benefit directly in the widget. Perhaps as you've alluded to, there is an indirect SEO benefit. I'm willing to consider that.

Part of the problem is that I personally detest FB culture and have other priorties for my working hours and my life.

My attitude is I will watch my HP revenue even more closely (is that possible?) and as long as it continues to grow at a pace that makes me happy, I don't care about the widget. If my revenues start to level off despite an increase in traffic, then maybe it's a problem - and I can adjust my biz plan accordingly.

10. rebekahELLE profile image85

I have no idea what my friends are doing unless I happen to catch something on  the feed. I guess it depends how people use FB. I log in once or twice a day and check the feed, post a few items, maybe update my status and that's it. sometimes I forget to log off, but I don't sit on FB all day. I think some may have different views of FB because of the way they use it or have heard that it is used.

as far as product hubs, you would be surprised what kind of articles [not just hubs] get posted. There are many businesses on FB that post product articles. I follow a Healthy Child magazine that posts about latest trends, hot topics. I get ideas from it to add to some Amazon capsules.
    just felt like sharing. off to bed. smile

11. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

i just dont like it!

12. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I am no fan of FB either.  I have an account, because it is a good way to keep tabs on old friends and relatives who we don't see often, and because my daughter and I play Scrabble daily there, but other than that I'd love to dump them.

I suppose this means I should always announce new hubs on FB?   I don't do that now unless I think my FB peeps could have interest.

13. profile image0

If my hub had been number 1 on the widget for days, plastered all over other peoples' hubs I would probably love it too.

14. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

I wouldnt - drops my ebay ePc - untargeted looky loos clicking on ebay ads w/o bidding

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whoa, really good point wrt to ebay. Do you think it could do the same thing with adsense wrt smart pricing. Maybe I'll just stick with my super targeted traffic.

1. sunforged profile image69
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if anyone unravels smart pricing - please tell me!

I have uncommonly high ePc - and I have seen visible drops after "digg" and "hp only" traffic spikes, I would expect the same from FB.

channels can ptotect your account in both programs but i rather like my epn/hp  ePc where it is!

1. profile image0

I don't know if anyone can unravel smartpricing, but I know that clicks that don't lead to an action can't be good for adsense revenue.

You've made my day. I feel much calmer now.

15. rebekahELLE profile image85

pcunix, as long as that's not all you're posting, you might be surprised who ends up reading your hub. if someone reads it, they may click 'like' or share it on their feed for others to see. those 'likes' and 'shares' show up on all of their friends feeds.
    often with my relatives or friends, they email my hubs or post them on their feed. most of my friends on FB are not hubbers, so in most cases, they don't see it unless I post it.

1. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I understand, and as I said, I do post things they might be interested in, but have avoided the things I know they would not care about.

16. profile image0

rafini, believe me I'm an seo expert and it's not going to benefit me at all except indirectly at best. There's no sign of my hubs anywhere on FB. I'll have to promote my hubs independent of this.

Absolutely none of your Hubs have any Facebook likes on them?

1. profile image0

None that I could find and none that Sarah could find - and she's a media specialist who spends her day on fb. But never fear, I might just hire her to increase my presence.

Honestly FB isn't where I hang out - nor any of my friends. I am FB friendless.

Well, it's a new feature. It helps if you like/share your own Hubs, but as I've said before, that's not necessary. The majority of likes/shares should be coming from people who come into your Hubs from search (i.e. that you don't know). They will like/share your Hubs because they like what they've read, not because they know you.

2. profile image0

I must correct my statement in the spirit of accuracy and fair play. I have just found that one of my hubs indeed does have 13 FB likes to the right of that icon at the top of our hubs. I am rather speechless.

2. Rafini profile image82

Nelle Hoxie That's what I was trying to say when I said this....

It seems to me the Facebook plugin will act as another magnet for those who already are experts at SEO and backlinking.  It also seems to me the Facebook plugin will be most beneficial to those who are most knowledgeable about, and active with, internet marketing whether or not they write quality hubs.

My hubs don't have much in the likes department either - I'm sure it's because I didn't join Facebook until after most of them were published so I didn't 'share' them at that point. hmm

Hubpages isn't the right outlet for me anyway, I think this update just proves it more than before.  hmm

17. profile image0

But don't you have to be an FB member to share - and I'm not. Don't really want to be dragged into it either. Sarah is working with me to explain how I can do this and remain anonymous. But I'm also deciding if it's worth it. I'm going to monitor this through the Xmas season and see if I have to play along.

Yea looks like we'll all be creating new, anonymous facebook accounts in order to 'comply'.

1. earner profile image82
        earnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've created a new anonymous one, with a fake name... thing is, I have 0 friends ... and don't really want to start gathering them if I'll be inundated with stuff and messages and "join my group" cr4p.

And I just feel ... exposed on there.

After I set up my anonymous account I'll be your facebook friend. But only if you let me spam you constantly. wink

And so it begins. Let the games commence. wink

1. Anesidora profile image60
              Anesidoraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I haven't decided if I'll bother to or not yet. Honestly I don't think it would do me any good. It's not just a matter of not wanting to exploit my warm market, it's also that I just don't think it would be worth it.

My friends aren't my target audience. They're too smart for me, and not likely to provide much of a boost to my income stream. If it was merely exposure on your writing or your controversial viewpoints that you were after, Facebook would work great. I'm not after exposure of my controversial hubs, I'm after converting traffic who likes to buy stuff.

It's just a matter of what you're doing. Some peoples' hubs will never, ever, possibly turn into viral wonders. For the controversial writers seeking exposure it's great. For the viewer seeking drama and controversy it's great.

For the hubber selling stuff and the viewer who comes looking to buy, it's just an unfortunate distraction.

I will grant that it will even enhance the viewer's experience. Instead of walking away with a beautiful new leather iPad case, which would have set him back at least around 100 bucks, or more, the viewer will now be more likely to walk away knowing exactly when the world is going to end, who exactly God hates, what all the government has screwed up lately and a handful of dubious speculations regarding some celebrity or the other. Or maybe they'll just be entertained by looking at tons of scantily clad indian women or something, yeh that'd work.

But it isn't going to benefit me, and it will cost me.

The only way I could game it would be to change what has been working for me, and I don't even think that would work, because those topics that are likely to go viral just don't pay enough to make a living.

But sure, maybe I'll give it a try. Expect to see such topics as '15 Ways to Murder, Butcher and Eat a Cow' and 'My Bollywood Fantasies' coming from me soon. Oh I know, I'll write some shit about Sarah Palin. Or better yet start a false (fictional) diary about what it was like to be sexually abused as a child and my desperate journey to remain forever a victim.

That'll get the looks. And plenty of awesomes and beautifuls. Then I'll be hip.

roll

Naw why waste time. I'll just go straight for the facebook jugular. Coming soon: Proof Barack Obama is a Communist Muslim America-Hater.

Certain aspects of the Republican party spend alot of money on web evangelization. Maybe my Adsense earnings will go up enough to replace my Amazon.

I have always been tempted to follow in the grand tradition of gallfully exploiting the naivety of the far right populace. I'm certain it would be easy enough, just not so sure if it would pay well.

Of course, all is tongue in cheek. wink

More or less.

A better idea would be to publish a Hub or two that is highly "shareable" - the kind of stuff that an anonymous visitor will want to post on Facebook because it's really amazingly cool.

Then, you can link from that Hub to your other Hubs to your heart's content. smile

That wouldn't pay nearly as well as posting Amazon modules full of guns in hubs about Obama's undoubted homosexuality.

I'd rather have targeted and unmolested organic traffic than social world warriors on my pages, fleeting around the site to support their facebook friends' causes.

But it is a valid suggestion, and certainly some adaptation will be in order. I believe in seeing challenges as new opportunities.

I'm not thrilled about it, of course, and do not think it's all great, but I know it's current wisdom to integrate your business with social networking sites. Which I planned on doing -and have done- in my own way. No biggie, I'll learn to adapt.

Just still holding out a bit of hope based on Paul's OP wherein he said that you guys were 'testing' it, which invites feedback and suggests repealability. But maybe he was just being diplomatic when he put it that way.

I've said all I can reasonably say about it. I'll let it go now.

LOL! That might very well be true. smile

18. profile image0

No Jason, I have seen none of those links on any of my 1,000+ hubs. Thanks for the link so I could see it, and know what it is, if I ever get one.

Hopefully my folks are too busy buying stuff!

19. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

I suppose that the increase in traffic will be two-way (HP to Facebook *and* Facebook to HP), so maybe there'll be some sort of SEO benefit to HP from the HP/Facebook symbiosis (sort of a case of HP hitching its wagon to Facebook's star). 

But as a total Facebook "refusenik", I can't say I'm very enthusiastic personally.

BTW, here's a list of the Facebook links that appeared on one of my hubs:

1. 15 REASONS TO STOP EATING MEAT

2. Malunggay: A Nutritious Vegetable

3. Yahweh Will Bring The Nations Into Judgement: Will You Stand Alongside Israel To Avoid That Judgemen

4. Reflections on Psalm 95

Rather a lot of religion considering that the hub in question is about mailmerging in Word 2003...

20. earner profile image82
    earnerposted 13 years ago

I dislike FB, I always have.  At first it never worked for me (wrong browser it seemed, but I didn't know that the odd things that I saw were due to that, I just thought it was pants).

So finally I found I could use it in Firefox, but I only joined it because some online mates did ... and then it started: a constant 24/7 assault and barrage of rubbish groups to join and cr4p free things for my veg plot and would I send them something .... and everybody knowing everybody's business... and I hated it.

Now, I've recently created an entirely new FB account, just for "my online stuff", to keep it separate from "my real life" ... and who was the FIRST friend it offered me??? The REAL me!!! WTF?

So... I hate FB, I don't mind choosing to use it if I have to, in certain situations, but I do dislike that everything I seem to do these days offers me the option of joining through my FB login (which I always ignore and sign up separately).

It's beyond a joke.

Social traffic is rubbish - it's Google organic traffic we need... not bunches of teens.

No, I've not read any of this thread, just skimmed it ... but I don't think I'm alone in being horrified it's there.

21. earner profile image82
    earnerposted 13 years ago

Oh - and those rubbish recommendations have nothing to do with anything I write about. Load of old tosh they are:

Not logged into FB I see:
    - 15 reasons to stop eating meat
    - Malunggay a nutritious vegetable
    - Yahweh will bring .... tosh
    - Reflections on Psalm 95

Nothing whatsoever to do with anything there. Pants... it's all utter pants.

*stomps tiny feet*

22. profile image0

FYI I'm now seeing a hubber with a hubber score of 4, being promoted on the widget. And I just checked her topic. I can write a hub like that so easily, I think about 10 minutes. Now I see what I'll have to write for FB to be "shareable."

23. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

To add to what Nelle is saying I am seeing a Squidoo lensmaster on mine that I know steals content.

24. profile image0

I just wrote 3 controversial hubs in 25 minutes, based on keywords. I think it's faster for me to babble originally than to copy elsewhere.

This could be entertaining to watch.

1. kerryg profile image84
      kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Let us know how it goes. wink

I can only think of one "controversial" hub that's ever made me any money and that was one on bisexuality, which is apparently too controversial a topic for Google because the ads got disabled awhile back. Oh well.

I don't usually do much keyword research for my controversy courting hubs, though, they're usually just things I want to get off my chest. With your skills, you might have better luck.

2. Mrvoodoo profile image58

Care to share them?

25. profile image0

Yeah, I'm just going widget watch for a few days and get the hang of this, learn what shareable is. Then create a shareable persona, something abit sexy vampirish with tatooos I think. good think I've been reading Laurell Hamilton.

26. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Well, I just saw two of my hubs in the same Widget box and can't imagine how the software thought it was related to what I was looking at, but there they were...

27. lakeerieartists profile image63

Don't forget to dress in skin tight black leather.  smile

28. profile image0

Hi Mrvoodoo,

I haven't published them yet, I just have them on word. I'm widget watching per the instructions from Sarah, my fb media consultant. Once we get a handle, on what seems to be working in the general non-signed in fb widget we'll create a persona.

I'd love to share them, but that would sort of skew everything. I want to see if I can get lots of likes from the fb crowd - and if it makes any money. I've always been of the mind that fb traffic isn't a moneymaker.

Usually, as you know, I love to share the results of my experiments. So in the future it might be fun to reveal all.

29. jiberish profile image79
    jiberishposted 13 years ago

I just joined Facebook, and I'm not really impressed. I posted a link for one of my Hubs, and in my opinion it would be a distraction for our readers to be able to go to Facebook.  Having readers come here from Facebook is a better idea.

jibberish - I don't think that we have to post anything on Facebook ourselves.  It is for other people to "like" or recommend.  I rarely ever share my work on there.  I know my friends would be annoyed if I posted every time I published a hub. Hope this helps. smile

30. Anesidora profile image60
    Anesidoraposted 13 years ago

I think that really is the idea, Jibberish. A lot of us choose not 'share' (spam) on facebook. This is a way to 'encourage' us to do so.

I think you are so right about this one!!!!!

Spam Facebook until You make the "Recommended List!" Yahoo!!!

31. sunforged profile image69

Does the "like" make a difference, the recommendation box says "shared" that is a different function

1. Pearldiver profile image66

On the Subject of 'Like.'
      I'm Not Gay... Just Merely Impressed at how much work your make-up crew seem to do to make you better looking each day.. hmm

Are you getting many dating emails from sunflower girls lately J? smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know, but I noticed on my FB page that it simply posts that "I like the name of the hub."
      when it's shared, it posts the hub pic and title and first sentences.

I like your new avatar.

32. profile image0

I don't know, that was one of the things Jason said to check in this topic. I think when I looked at the hubs in widget. The likes equalled the shared numbers.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'll have to check. hey Nelle, I just read your James Forrestall hub, now I want to read that book! it sounds like a good end of summer read.

2. sunforged profile image69
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just peeked the "like" and "shared" in "recommendations" do match.

As rebekkah pointed out a "share" on HP is more involved than "like" - but it seems its just another case of odd phrasing.

"recommendations"

"favorite topics"

"followers"

"answers"

That will make it all incredibly easy to game.

3. seamist profile image60
      seamistposted 13 years ago

I agree with some of the hubbers. As I see it the Facebook plug-in will just attract users to other hubsites rather than keeping them on our own site. Not to be mean, but most of us have worked very hard for very little money without having  to battle losing traffic our keyword research and writing in brought in to another hubber's site.

4. RedElf profile image90

I believe I read somewhere earlier in the thread (from Jason) that there is no "opt out" for anyone.

I am happy some of you are getting more views. I have had a total of 5 views from FaceBook this week (and only ever a few hundred}, but have had thousands from Google and HubPages in the same time period. (I did mention, didn't I, that I am not very active on FaceBook wink )

5. lakeerieartists profile image63

I have made a point of staying off the religious forums, and would like to keep religious themes off my hubpages as well.  However, that is what i am seeing on the facebook widget.

6. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Not a fan... More stuff for people to click off the page.

1. lorlie6 profile image73
        lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, Whitney05.  The distraction is almost insidious.  I would like to opt out, but can't.  Apparently my readers can't, either.

1. Whitney05 profile image83
          Whitney05posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wish there was an opt out...

I have read a few more responses to this thread, and don't like the thought  of Indian actress hubs featured on my hubs... If I understood that correctly.

I also want to second, third, or whatever the fact that I almost never get on my facebook account and when I do, I have a mission to complete. I hardly ever browse around, and don't see any of my facebook people doing it either, as they just aren't into the same type of reading that I am.

7. profile image0

I stand by by objections to this widget after watching it for a few days. It's a lot of exposure to give the same hubs. The number one hub listed on the widget, if you're not logged in is by a hubber with a score of 11. Three days ago she had a score of 4. That hub and hubber have gotten a lot of exposure on my hubs - that I don't think is deserved.

8. Pamela99 profile image89
      Pamela99posted 13 years ago

I think this is a great addition.  Thanks hubpages!

9. seamist profile image60
      seamistposted 13 years ago

How come the hugpage's staff aren't responding to the feedback? We can squawk all day and night, and it won't do any good unless they are listening.

10. profile image0

Lol, the hubber who has been listed first on the fb widget, if you're not logged in, whose hubber score has risen from 4 to 13, since she's had that spot, loves to write Indian actress hubs too.

1. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Nelle, I don't often log into FB and my friends are not the type to 'like' or 'share' hubs anyway, and I've had this widget sitting on all my hubs, always showing the same hubs for days. And they are nothing to do with the subjects I write about, and not necessarily even a good representation of what a hub should be.

I want an opt out!

1. profile image0

Me too

1. adrienne2 profile image66
            adrienne2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I use FB pretty much everyday, just for touching base with friends and family, which is totally unrelated to my hubs. I have been reading the FB plugin thread.  Its the end of the day here, not really sure how the plugin is suspose to increase traffic to hubs. <Maybe I will figure it out tomorrow.

11. crazyhorsesghost profile image71
      crazyhorsesghostposted 13 years ago

It is a traffic leak plain and simple. There is no way that it is going to bring traffic. At least give us the option of not having it show up on our hubs. Traffic leaks should never be added. If you check the FB widget out it clearly is not working great. There are a lot of things you could add to increase traffic to hubs. If your going to do something like this please let people opt out.

12. blackhatworld profile image61
      blackhatworldposted 13 years ago

This will be great!!! thanks!

says the guy named blackhatworld....

1. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile

13. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

When I checked this out, it showed me the same list of "recommendations" no matter what - no matter whether I was not signed in to HP or FB; no matter whether I was signed in to one but not the other; no matter whether I was signed in to both at the same time.  It appears that my FB friends either do not like or share any HP articles, or they are the same ones that are on the generic recommendation list.

IMO, the box needs to be titled "Recommended by Facebook Users."  By saying simply "Recommended," it seems to imply that HP is the one doing the recommending or that the writer of the Hub is.

I don't especially like this feature so far, but in the cases I have seen the box is so far down on the page that I don't think it poses quite the danger that others have feared.  However, I still don't like the idea that we are encouraging readers to leave our Hubs for someone else's questionable ones, based simply on recommendations by friends of friends of friends....

It reminds me somewhat of the Amazon recommendations:  "People who bought this product also purchased _____" or "After viewing this page, __% of people bought X or Y or Z."  I always have the choice (in the case of Amazon or of HP) of whether to follow that link, but it does give me some interesting information - as long as it is clearly labeled as to what "Recommendation" means.

I do agree that it should read "recommended by facebook readers" or something of the nature.  That is a really good idea.  That way the reader knows that it isn't the writer of the hub or Hubpages that is recommending it.

14. TnFlash profile image60
      TnFlashposted 13 years ago

The Face Book widget is an invitation to leave Hubpages.  I think this is not a good idea.

15. Anesidora profile image60

Well, I will say that at least HubPages (or Facebook) has chosen to discriminate against the religious stuff, as all of that seems to have disappeared.

Never thought I'd be supportive of discrimination, but at least that's something.

1. profile image0

Not so, alas.  Today, on one of my maths hubs, I have:

Michael Jackson's New Album Deals With Track List
        Another Greensboro Dog Set On Fire (ewwww)
        Tips To Minimise PMS
        More Than a Saviour

OK, so the first three aren't religious but the last definitely is.

Actually, perhaps I should be thankful that the selection of Facebook-recommended hubs is totally irrelevant to the subject matter of my hub - it makes it less likely that people will click on one of these hubs.

2. Anesidora profile image60

My bad. Religious stuff is back again. Gonna delete my last comment cuz it's spurious and unfounded and I never should have said it in the first place.

For the record, I've always found HubPages to be very fair about letting everyone voice their many and varying opinions -within reasonable limits of course- and that's always been very important to me even though I don't enjoy doing so as often as I used to do.

So muchos kudos to HP on that one, it is rarer than one might think, and I do apologize for stupidly suggesting anything to the contrary.

16. agvulpes profile image85
      agvulpesposted 13 years ago

Now that I have had a chance to look at this app I'm feeling it is going to be very easy to manipulate and spam. The way I see it anything that you post on FB will be displayed on EVERY Hub by EVERY Hubber.  That is whole bunch of exposure.  My humble advise would be to stay signed in on FB and promote some of your own Hubs on  a reasonably regular time frame.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is there any feedback from the H team on this yet agvulpes?

17. Anesidora profile image60

Okay I can't delete it, but I'm sorry anyway. It was totally thoughtless of me.

18. sunforged profile image69

Whats this? is it related?

http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/455/7529636005.jpg

Facebook social plugin in adsense spot? - the indi profile links work? so it doesnt seem like adsense - not relevant to the content - but I have frequented T Ferris blog ..any thoughts?

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)