Dick Cheney faces bribery scandal charges in Nigeria

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

Dick Cheney, file pic Mr Cheney was Halliburton's chief executive before becoming vice-president to George W Bush

Nigeria's anti-corruption agency is to charge former US Vice-President Dick Cheney over a bribery scandal that involves a former subsidiary of energy firm Halliburton.

The case centres on engineering firm KBR, which admitted bribing officials.

A lawyer for Mr Cheney said allegations he was involved in the scandal were "entirely baseless".

Mr Cheney was Halliburton's chief executive before becoming vice-president to George W Bush in 2001.
    read the rest
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11902489

1. DTR0005 profile image61
      DTR0005posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dick Cheney.. is there something strangely ironic about his name?

1. Rajab Nsubuga profile image59
        Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I want to guess that probably his 1st name says it all.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image73
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

These allegations are unfair. Dick Cheney wasn't trying to bribe anyone. He was merely paying a nominal fee so a Nigerian prince could transfer his money into an American bank.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is that the Nigerian prince that emailed me the other day asking for my help with his vast vast wealth that he was willing to share if I would just, zZZZzzzZZZZzzz

Tchugh guh huh!  *head jerks upward and eyes open wide*
      Gosh sorry, just feel asleep there roll

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You make me laugh, girly girl. lol

Excelent! Mwahahaha! My evil plan to make you laugh is working then!
          http://mjreed.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/mr-burns-wallpaper.gif

Doesn't he look a bit like a skinny Cheney? hmm

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. profile image57
    C.J. Wrightposted 13 years ago

I don't know who I would trust less...the Nigerian Government or Cheney. Cheney's shananagans are well known. Do a little reading about Nigeria and you'll see what I mean.

1. Petra Vlah profile image60
      Petra Vlahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For anyone to trust Cheney is to be naive or worse. How much did Halliburton profit from the so called "reconstruction work" in Iraq?! Billions as we all know!
      If there is any justice in this world, Cheney should face the death penalty for his crimes not only corruption and bibery charges.

1. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have just been listening to Chinese student 'presentations' on different 'famous' people - among all the usual suspects one group 'did' Cheney - they concluded that history might fin dhim to be the single most evil person since Hitler.

1. JOE BARNETT profile image61
          JOE BARNETTposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ha ha ha  are you serious? then good. he deserves it!

4. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

I personally think Nigeria, one of the great internet scam capitals of the world, deserves Cheney and vice versa. I think it's Karma that they are now having such a love affair.

5. William R. Wilson profile image59
    William R. Wilsonposted 13 years ago
  6. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

In further developments, Nigeria's anti-corruption agency has indicated that they will drop all charges against Cheney provided each agency executive received $10,000 in cash and a signed copy of Justin Bieber's latest hit album

7. JOE BARNETT profile image61
    JOE BARNETTposted 13 years ago

cheney was part of that bush group. oldman bush was a fixer of sorts for old money. he got things done. i remember jesse jackson saying "if you dont want trouble in your life,then stay out the bushes."  cheney tried to escape all of his infamy by moving to dubai. but now he's gonna have to move back home and deal with it, otherwise interpol will pick him up like a thug ha ha ha . back here he'll have to go to restaurants where the cook and wait staff don't like him."uh excuse me, can you tell me what that flavor is in this coffee?" he'll probably need a taster now ha ha ha . obama worked hard to eliminate a similar problem for bush in spain and did.  but at the inauguration cheney snubbed obama by not showing up.i think cheney may be in for an interesting future at least because i don't think obama is gonna lift a finger and i wouldn't blame him.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't blame Obama, either. Cheney is just mean, although I don't see Bush that way. W has been much more respectful to Obama than Cheney has.

yeah i'm with you there. bush fumbled a lot but he was and has been respectul of obama and his position. cheney however with his twisted mouth i think is pure evil. he knows it too, thats why he's hiding in dubai.  cheney even came out campaigning against obama till that heart attack ha.

8. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Cheney is scary! I know most of you won't agree with me, but I blame Darth Cheney with some of Bush's failings.

1. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. I believe "Bush was a part of Cheney's group"

I mean you can't have it both ways. Either Bush was the mastermind for all thats evil in the world or he's an idiot. Can't be both.

touchy, toucheee! we know what was mean't let's not get to haggling over straws

1. profile image57

I know, I just really don't trust Cheney.

2. JOE BARNETT profile image61

and yeah he was an idiot and knew it . so, he hired cheny who turns out is satan. actually his dad gave him cheney.

1. profile image57

"his dad gave him cheney" That was a SNL skit, remember? It was funny as hell.

I don't believe Bush was a bad guy. I believe he is and governed as a "new world order"/"one world government" type of moderate republican. I'm no fan of this. There is very little difference between his, his fathers and Bill Clinton's world view. A view I don't share. I believe that Bill Clinton was the absolute best politician of my lifetime. I believe history will show Bush in a much different light, than he is percieved today.

yeah we agree.clinton was the greatest. bush i don't think was as detailed a thinker as clinton or obama. bush was more broad strokes. clinton was fantastic. obama is having to duplicate his moves to get us out of this. we,re just 3 times as far down as when clinton took office.

2. JOE BARNETT profile image61

no i didn't see it on snl but thats how it happened.

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think in time, history will document that. I think Cheney had a MAJOR influence W's decisions, which is really quite troubling.

9. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I guess we can all agree that its a good thing no one took out Bush while in office hmm

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
      Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bush may have been smarterathan any of us gave him credit for. Cheney was absolute insurance no one from the left would take Bush out...

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good one, Doug! A lot of truth, probably!

10. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I guess they have a looser definition of treason in Nigeria.
    Otherwise, why isn't Cheney being brought up on charges here in the US?

11. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Just a thought...what if you HAD to choose between Palin and Cheney for POTUS??

I'd have to take Palin. I don't think she's as smart or as crafty as Cheney, so she prolly wouldn't be as dangerous.

12. Joe Badtoe profile image61
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

Cheney has no morals or principles
    he has no heart
    his soul is stained
    he belonged to a govt that was evil corrupt and shameless

fuck him

1. Rajab Nsubuga profile image59
      Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you defining Capitalism?

13. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

I'm really hoping that something will come of this...probably not, but AT LEAST it confirms what we all know. Cheney is as rotten and corrupt as they come. Grandpa, or not!

But,something is going on in Dubai, where he ran to. And Erik Prince, when they were going to investigate his dirty dealings, he ran to Arabia too. Plus, I remember reading an article years back, where Oliver North was talking. He said "Every time we get near Bin-Laden, they tell us to pull back". And now, the new Republican Boogie-Man target is Sharia Law. Isn't Saudi Arabia the biggest exporter of that? Aren't they our "friends"? And what happened to Al-Queda as the enemy of enemies?

Anyway, last night, Rachel Madddow talked about how years ago, Hamid Karzai's (sp) brother was caught with 52 million dollars of America money heading into Dubai.(remember when they did that in Iraq too?!) They just let him go.
    Cheney has bought a lot of property there....Erik Prince escapes there...no extradition with the USA. Kharzai's bro brings 52 mil in CASH, and they let him KEEP it. And now Sharia law is the new so-called enemy of the State.
    Plus, Dubai is the new playground of the rich and famous , well, not so new--they've been going there for years.

It just sets off alarm bells in my head, and my intuition is on over-time.
    It's a tax-free haven.
    Serfs and rich people. Something is going on there behind the scenes that is no good. I just feel it.

Anyway---when I saw that Interpol had an arrest warrant out on Cheney, I was so excited! But I have since seen Cheney-supporters on the tube, and they are OF COURSE, smearing Nigeria, rather than deal with the issue of Cheney. They will turn it all around so that poor Dick was the victim of that Evil Nigeria.

But it is conformation for those of us around the WORLD who know what kind of man he is. Who have waited for a moment like this.
    No matter how many of them get off from their crimes......WE KNOW!

14. sir slave profile image60
    sir slaveposted 13 years ago

Dick cheney is less than sub-human.
    and that is on a congenial day!!

the bar was lowered so low by the bush administration regarding the ethics of government contracts, that it will be difficult for anyone to raise the bar. there are like half a dozen Bush policies that Obama has continued despite his soaring rhetoric in 08'

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)