Mitt is too reasonable for the far right.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (55 posts)
  1. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 12 years ago

It doesn't look like my first pick in the GOP field, Huntsman, is going to get enough traction, so I've been reading more about Mitt. You guys prolly already know this, but I didn't know the details until now:

- Mitt balanced his state's budget
    - he didn't accept a salary as gov. and paid for his personal and political travel out of his own pocket

- He saved the Winter Olympics
    - donated $1 million to Olympics
    - donated his salary from Olympics to charity
    - Harvard Business School uses Mitt's actions as an example of how to turn around failing businesses
    - makes large donations to his church, Boy Scouts, cancer, epilepsy, AIDS, MS, cycstic fibrosis, Lou Gehrig's disease, homeless shelters, abused children, at-risk urban youth, schools, Katrina victims, earthquake and tsunami victims in Asia, wounded veterans, therapeutic horseback riding, girls' and boys' clubs, and more

Mitt appeals more to moderates than any of the other GOP frontrunners do. If the GOP is smart, they'll forget about Newt. He turns off moderate conservatives like me! Do I like everything about Mitt? Nope! But I think he has the experience to help our floundering economy, and I also believe that he's a good person.

1. Deni Edwards profile image78
      Deni Edwardsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mitt Romney, I believe, is the only candidate that could threaten the re-election of President Obama.  People just don't like Romney.  He can't relate, at all, to mainstream America.  I mean, the guy didn't even flinch when he stuck out his hand for a 10K bet.

I wouldn't count Huntsman out just yet, however.  He's the only candidate (aside from Rick Santorum) that hasn't seen a spike in the polls.  He's not nutty, either, and I think that since so many people dislike Romney, republicans might start focusing in on Huntsman.

Incidentally, my husband and I have a $5 bet about this.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Completely separate from everything other than that bet issue, and separate from my own personal preferences...

In fairness to this guy, there's the chance he doesn't ever bet, or else take the words, "I'll bet you," you very seriously.    He's been involved with those sports "bets" between governors and the sports team of a region/state (like sending chowder to New York's governor if the New England team loses - that type of thing); but that's a whole different kind of "betting". 

People who don't even think in terms of REALLY betting are, I think, as likely to whip out the words, "ten thousand dollars" or "a million dollars" as they are "five dollars".  A lot of us have heard (or said) something along the lines of, "I'll bet you a million dollars blah blah blah..".

I don't necessarily think the person's who out of touch with "betting lingo and terms" is out of touch with everything else in life.  I've had my times of being "as poor as they make 'em" , so I'm far from out of touch with "realities" - but betting has never been a part of life, or a part of my thinking; so I've been one of those people who'll whip off "I'll bet you a million dollars" from the top of my head, knowing that the other person doesn't take me seriously.

I'm not a fan of some of the stuff he's been known to do, but at least he's not another Republican circus act being trotted out to make the next election a giant joke.

1. Paul Wingert profile image59
          Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Romney can't keep his BS stories straight.

1. habee profile image91
            habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Few politicians can.

2. profile image0
      Daniella Lopezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had no idea he didn't accept a salary whilst governor... This makes me like him a little more. xD

3. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He "saved" the winter olympics?

What is this? A Christmas Special? What, was he visited by the three ghosts of Olympic Glory? Did he fight off the Grinch of Laziness?

Give me a break. The guy is a flip-flopping sell-out.

1. habee profile image91

Yes, he saved the 2002 Winter Olympics. You can find plenty about it on the internet, even on left-wing news outlets. Mitt was such an important aspect of the games that his picture even appeared on the Olympic pins.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60

He was able to save it because he originally tried to kill it.

Then he saved it, then he killed it, then he saved it, and then he killed it again, then, when a lobbyist paid him he saved Christmas... i mean, the olympics.

I'm kidding, but the guy is still a sell out hack.

1. habee profile image91

Evan, I think Paul has some good ideas, but he also has some sorta crazy ideas. Do you think he's a racist/anti-Semite? I found these quotes by Ron Paul:

"If you have ever been robbed by a black teen-aged male, you know how unbelievably fleet-footed they can be."

"Given the inefficiencies of what DC laughingly calls the criminal justice system, I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal."

"...by far the most powerful lobby in Washington of the bad sort is the Israeli government."

Those weren't written by Paul - they were in his newsletter. I agree that this is still bad, but then you have just about every one who has met him saying that he's not racist.

To call him an anti-semite, you'd have to believe that "giving billions of dollars to Israel's enemies is pro-semitic".

4. Jeff Berndt profile image74
      Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He's also too liberal (Romneycare) and too Mormon for the GOP to nominate him. He's more likely to get the nod than Paul, though. Romney won't cut defense, cut aid to Israel, or prosecute securities fraudsters. Paul will. (Well, maybe not prosecute fraudsters...Paul has interesting ideas about letting people sort out their own issues. Perhaps he'll let people who were illegally foreclosed on challenge the bank's CEO to a duel?)

1. habee profile image91

lol

2. habee profile image91

I understand the health care thing, but I don't understand the Mormon thing. One of my best friends was a Mormon, and she believed in Christ and was an awesome person. What's the big deal? Honestly, I'd vote for an atheist for POTUS if he/she were smart, compassionate, honest (for a politician), reasonable, held most of my views, and had the potential to turn our economy around.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image74

Well, see, Habee, you're a reasonable person, not a zealot. You're sane, not b@t$#!t crazy. You're a patriot, not a nationalist.

You have to realize that many people really really care about whether a candidate is Christian or not, and their definition of "Christian" excludes Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and really anyone who isn't a born-again evangelical Protestant of some kind.

1. habee profile image91

I guess you're right, Jeff, but that's pretty sad...and kinda scary! lol

2. Mighty Mom profile image76
            Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know, hunh?
            This country is still recovering from the horrible lapse of collective Christian judgment (no pun intended) that elected John Fitzgerald Kennedy. And that was more than half a century ago! lol
            We've already had our aberrant experiment for the 21st Century (in the form of Barack HUSSEIN Obama).
            It's been proven.
            Only white, Christian men are qualified to run this country!!!

1. habee profile image91

Ha! Girl power!!

1. Mighty Mom profile image76

You got it, Habee.
                The last obvious frontier!
                And no, it ain't gonna be Bachmann/Palin or Palin/Bachmann, neither! lol

Oh, well, there goes all the money I invested in Bachmann-Palin Overdrive T-shirts....

1. Mighty Mom profile image76

Very punny!
                    Would their theme song be "American Woman" by the Guess Who, do you think?

2. habee profile image91

You got that right!

5. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Newt will not go far.  He is the flavor of the month and is on his way down in the polls.  He has some very creative ideas, some very intelligent ideas, and he is not into negative campaigning as much as many of the others.  Problem with Newt is he is for sale.
      Romney on the other hand, in truth, has so much money of his own, he won't be bought.  He won't be looking to sell books after his terms are up and he won't need to go on the speech circuit like Clinton, Bush, and soon, Obama.  So he will not be beholden to financial payoffs.
      The guy is genuine.  How many people stay married for 42 years to the same woman these days?  Especially when they have all that money and could buy any woman they wanted.  Look at Kobe.  Look at all the other guys out there with big bucks.  They shed the old model and find a new one.  Kinda like Newt.
      The way he has lived his private life tells a lot about his character.
      That said, I'm still undecided, but I do appreciate a person who is calm, intelligent, and thoughtful.

1. habee profile image91

Yep, with Mitt's looks and money, he could just about have his pick of women. I admire his commitment to his wife and family. I've read what Ann has said about the way he treated her when she was diagnosed with MS, and I was impressed.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

Well, Romney is the only republican running that won't result in me moving to Canada if he/she gets elected.

I jez LOVE bombin things!

Bomb, bomb, boooomb
        Bomb, bomb Iran.....

2. Repairguy47 profile image60
      Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Another, I'm leaving the country blah blah blah threat. Please go and take Alec Baldwin and Barbara Streisand with you.

3. Cassie Smith profile image59
    Cassie Smithposted 12 years ago

I also think that a good number of Christians won't vote for him because he's a Mormon.

4. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Rick Santorum could be a surprise in Iowa.  That just might give him some traction.

I cannot understand why he has not spiked at all. The man is consistent and a TRUE conservative.  This is sure to be an interesting New Year on the political front.  It is still anyone's race.

I do not like Newt politically, he is a great writer.  Mitt just seems to be a cookie cutter candidate with no consistency!  He does have the best chance in a general election if it was held today.  Nothing would change though, the Bush/Obama agenda will continue under a Romney administration.

I am hoping that Ron Paul catches the Nation's attention.  He is by far the most consistent and best choice for this Nation at this time in history.  He is also the only candidate whose supporters are true and faithful.  A Ron Paul supporter never sways.  Paul/Santorum  2012?

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Mitt isn't smart enough to be POTUS.

1. habee profile image91

I think maybe he's TOO smart to be POTUS! lol

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nope. He already made the critical mistake that will keep him out of office. He announced that he wanted to change Mass' Constitution and eliminate women's rights.

He has already alienated women and that's a stupid move.

Edit: His recommended change to Mass' Constitution about abortion is what did him in.

1. habee profile image91

He didn't alientate women who are against abortion.

I'm not too concerned with social issues right now. I'm more concerned about jobs and the economy, and according to polls, most other American voters feel the same way. If they think Obama has the right ideas, they'll vote for him. If not, they'll vote for someone else. If the economy gets better, I think Obama will def be re-elected.

Good to know. roll
            Well that goes to show that the distortion tactics from Washington is working on the public. roll

1. habee profile image91

I'm not basing my views on "distortion tactics from Washington" about the economy. I know the economy is bad, and you can't convince me otherwise. My best friend's husband was laid off after 20+ years at the same job, and he can't find another job. My oldest daughter's business is floundering now, and my youngest daughter's husband's work hours were cut last summer and haven't been increased back to normal yet. My middle daughter's fiancee looked for a job for months before he finally found one.

Oh okay. But you seem to think that Government can create jobs, so you've bought into the BS on that aspect.
                The Economy is bad, but that's because Government is meddling too much, such as ineffective and inefficiently. This is nothing new.
                It's not that he cannot find a job. It's employers don't want to pay him what he's valued at. wink
                That should tell you something other than the Economy being bad? hmm
                Not doubting it. hmm

1. habee profile image91

Nope. The friend who lost his job after 20+ years can't find ANY job. He's applied for many $10 an hour jobs. My daughter's business was great until fairly recently.

Government doesn't create jobs? What about government workers? lol. Remember, as a teacher, I was paid by state, local, and fed funds.

Just great, government jobs are not good for the Economy or America in general. I would have figured that almost everyone knew that.

Yes Habee, I know what you did for work. And yes I know who paid your salary. The people paid your salary, through state and fed funds.

2. profile image0
                    oldandwiseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually the economy for most businesses has improved over the past 2 years. They would like you to think otherwise however.

3. profile image0

I agree the wealth isn't trickling down, but in my case business has been on an upswing for the last two years and doing great.

2. profile image0

I have to agree, distortion tactics are working.

6. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

It seems that Newt is fading from favor, even though currently he and Romney are tied in the polls (with Paul third).
    Don't count out Huntsman yet, Habee.
    I think there's a reason he is being sent to North Korea right now.
    No, I don't see any conspiracy in Kim Jong Il's death. Just the timing is unquestionably fortuitous for a candidate who could use the bump in visibility right about.... now. Dictator croaks. Crisis looms.
    And voila. There's goes Mr. Huntsman....
    BTW, Santorum will never, ever get out of the dugout. He's too weird even for the rightiest righties.

7. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 12 years ago

With all the arguing back and forth between the GOP candidates, I believe President Obama will be a shoe in. Economy on the upswing and percentage of unemployed going down.

You forget that he signed the Defense bill that allows the Army to indefinitely detain US Citizens on US soil without trial, without counsel, and without any due process at all.

That might get enough of his supporters to either stay home or vote for someone else. They probably won't vote GOP, though (I won't, unless the GOP candidate is Ron Paul, and he probably won't be), so it's anybody's election.

I'd rather vote for the Green Party candidate than Obama, or any of the GOP frontrunners.

8. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

Mitt Romney is a leftist Progressive. A perfect example of the infection of the Left within the Republican Right. He is everything we Conservatives hate about the EST.

9. Alternative Prime profile image57
    Alternative Primeposted 12 years ago

Mitt is also -------> Very Confused - condescending - out of touch - shrewd - manipulating - calculating - excessively fickle in policy positions - mechanical - drab - boring - unqualified - opportunist who is an unwavering champion of the extremely wealthy - unconscionably willing to strip social security benefits from our senior citizens at the drop of a $10,000 Dollar Bill in favor of pampering those who need not any pampering - Champion of unclean, toxic, Earth polluting oily fossil fuels at the expense of natural, eco friendly, RENEWABLE "Solar & Wind" research and implementation which is unquestionably our future -   

Have we covered all of his exceedingly admirable attributes and or qualities or just begun?? But ask me and "America" how we truly feel -

A straight faced, "Slightly Lip Twitching Liar" is usually the politically incorrect term used to describe his flimsy wishy washy character by no less than a flock of "Cowboys" I know of - And even though it's admittedly harsh yet exceedingly accurate vernacular, I shall not be the one to utter this phrase in accusation -

"Wrong Wight Wing Weligion" could also be added to the "Mitt Mix"

In keeping with the holiday tradition - *Merry Christmas to All* - EXCEPT "Mitt" ( Unless of course he Immediately repents of his past and future "Mal Positions" )

All this and more from a person who always had previous "Right Wing" leaning tendencies -

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)