The future

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

With a combination of dire apocalyptic predictions of a third World War and Armageddon scenarios going around, balanced by a lot of optimistic and mystical claims ranging from the planet going into a new "density" to there even a new Earth being created, I am wondering what you all think the future has in store for us?
    Please post your forecasts for the future here!

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well I see a future full of Guinness and joy!!! *grin* seriously though - I tend to live day to day and am a firm believer in fate - If I'm meant to die on December 21, 2012 then so be it - however I tend to disregard all this doom and gloom talk as there's been doom and gloom talk since man became civilized and we're still around!

As for all the 'new age' stuff - I am skeptical and will believe in what I see - I have an open mind so I don't disregard it totally, just don't go full out and believe everything I hear.

Well the real question is about the future - sure we may 'spoil' the Earth, but we'll begin colonizing other worlds soon and Humanity will spread over the Universe - I can't see us ever becoming extinct. Even if we destroy Earht, it will heal itself over time and eventually Man may return, hopefully more enlightened!

2. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi friends

Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908 - the End Time Reformer of all the Revealed Religions; his work of peaceful unification of all the Revealed Religions with dialog and reasonable arguments and end of strife among the nations will be accomplished within 300 years of his death; till then the world will survive definitely.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

3. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As long as there's chocolate who cares. smile
      http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-stargate003.gif

2. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

More of the same I should think! Although we all like talking about apocalypses and magical new worlds, most people actually don't like change, so will continue to to the same things day in day out.

If the human species is ever wiped out (and we are relative newcomers) it will probably be by a force of nature such as a super volcano, a meteor, climate change or epidemic.

But the end of the world and the end of the human species is not the same thing, and the world will just carry on after we are gone and new species will evolve to take over our evolutionary niche.

Happy Easter Bard!

3. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

I think that we should learn to look after this world first before we 'colonize' and potentially ruin other planets. It wouldn't say much for the human race if all we do is trawl around the universe trashing planets as we go. Hopefully we do become more 'enlightened' soon.

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I'm old enough to remember all the talk of flying cars we'd all be using in 2000, but I'm also old enough to see all the ways life has become so much better/easier than it once was.  So, I guess that's why I tend to think we'll all just keep muddling our way through and dealing with whatever comes along as it does (at least for a very long time into the future).  (I'm not "all that old", but I've lived through enough dates on which the world had been predicted to end not take any of those seriously.  Having seen enough times when even the most expert of science experts have discovered they were wrong, I don't take a whole lot of "scientific fact" as "gospel" either.)  I have my own guesses about what will eventually be discovered by science; and I think if/when some of those things are proven, the world will be a vastly better place.

1. Aya Katz profile image84
      Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lisa, you have me curious. Please share your guesses about what will eventually be discovered by science.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aya, I should clarify, too, that while I think some things will be discovered, I think things that are already known in narrow scientific circles will become more widely know and incorporated into the general population's way of doing things.

One is that I think more and more will be understood about animals' brains/emotions; and I think a lot of the awful stuff that goes on now will one day be viewed as horrendously ignorant.

I think that at the root of brain development (and overall process of growth - whether humans (and animals), plants, or some diseases there is one formula; and approach all endeavors (from nurturing children to seeking cures for disease) will be based on it.

I think a better understanding of the nature of intelligence and personalities will vastly change the way schools do things and see students, potentially leading to far more academic success and achievement among all kids.

With regard to changing "societal norms" (not necessarily or particularly based in scientific understanding now), I think there will be a better, solid, scientifically-sound, basis for determining which "societal norms" are "just a matter of changing society" and which could better be defined with science as the basis for that.

Contrary to what can seem like increasing indications of the role genes play in so many things, I think science will move beyond what is now understood and discover that what is now known doesn't tell the whole story (and genes will be discovered to play far less of a role than they now are believed to play).

The list goes on (but this one, I think, ought to end, since I've already posted some length posts on other forums today  hmm ).

Essentially, I think that within the scope of all history and humanity, what we have now (even with all that science has learned) is a matter of "a little knowledge being a dangerous thing").  What is now known is impressive, and I don't question a lot of it; but I think there is widespread underestimation (even in the scientific community) of how much more there is yet to learn, discover, or confirm (about the universe, human potential, sexuality, sex differences or absence of them, certain elements of psychology.....)

5. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

The future is doomed. By Man & by Nature.

In 2/4 years time 40% of the world population will be killed either by war, natural disasters, or health programs ( including medicines, jabs and malpractice )

It's happening now, so it's not very difficult to foresee where we're heading.

1. wyanjen profile image70
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's kinda grim, Tantrum

Man's only "natural predators" are disease and other humans. I can't argue with the logic.

Your post makes me think of the phrase:
      Nature corrects itself

smile

1. profile image60
        logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe you are correct!  Nature corrects whatever needs to be corrected!  Whatever we do will not affect how nature responds.
        If we do not become responsible for our own actions we will fall!
        As the government in the US continues to strangle the golden goose, and give to non producers, we are headed down the road to oblivion.  It will happen slowly at first and then we will be sledge hammered.  All great civilizations have arrogantly thought they would last forever.  All have been wrong, so far.  Will we have the vision to see our potential for downfall and work to prevent it or will we contine approaching oblivion?

6. Bard of Ely profile image79

Thank you for your great replies, SimeyC, CMHypno, Lisa, Aya and Tantrum!
    CM, I agree we should first look after the world we have got before being allowed to go anywhere else and potentially ruin that too. It is belived by Michael Tsarion and others that that is the case anyway and that this planet is under quarantine.

7. heart4theword profile image59
    heart4thewordposted 14 years ago

I don't know about tomorrow, but I know who holds the future:)  Have you heard of that song, it is a heartfelt song.  With allot of truth!

8. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

I'm not going for an end of the world scenario...But this world is one fucked up place and 99% of it is of our own doing. Over population is a major problem as we need to continually rape this planet for more resouces to sustain the ever growing populus. We may need an Armageddon to bring things back into order. I recently read there are roughly 6.5 billion people on earth right now and by 2040 an estimated 9.8 billion...the fastest increase in history. Can we, or the planet sustain this kind of population??

The future does appear to be bleak for many in upcoming generations!

1. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Back into what order?

There is no order, everything is chaos.

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I keep banging on about this I know, but the so-called "population explosion" thing is a myth.  If anything, the future problem is one of *under*population rather than overpopulation.

9. Lianne_Cebu profile image61
    Lianne_Cebuposted 14 years ago

Hi,

this is my first post on HP.

Forecast of the future - if everyone could be clear about what matters to them, and they are fulfilling on what matters to them, then they are complete at every moment. It won't matter if the world ends the next second or the next century. At their last moments on earth, they can say, I gave it my all.

10. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Perhaps a "replay" of the past 50 years.  Half a century ago, I remember buying gasoline for 18 CENTS a gallon during a "gas war" where competing stations slashed prices beyond the bone.  Now the hi test we use is right at $3.000.  So going forward another fifty, that would mean 2060 would bring us petrol at roughly $50 per gallon. 

No big.

11. Bard of Ely profile image79

EmpressFelicity posted: "I keep banging on about this I know, but the so-called "population explosion" thing is a myth.  If anything, the future problem is one of *under*population rather than overpopulation."

I have heard from several sources the same as what is stated here. It has a lot more to do with how people have been concentrated in areas so they become dependant on the system as it has been. In actuality there is more than enough land on the planet to grow crops to feed everyone but it is not being used in a logical way to benefit everyone.

12. spirituality profile image57
    spiritualityposted 14 years ago

I think there are serious reasons for serious worry, but population explosion isn't one of the ones I'm as worried about. I'm worried about differences between rich and poor, leading to people moving into the richer countries without any perspective of really getting a better life. I'm worried about environmental problems, that sort of thing.

Oh, and the west living on dept also has me concerned.

But hey, humanity will survive, I'm pretty sure of it. HOW is the question.

13. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

Bard of Ely -interesting ghost writer name.
    makes me want to investigate its meaning.

Sincerely, apart from enmity between the Ism, there is much belief in a positive future. One that thoroughly dislodges itself from not only skepticism but also methodical, though lyrical mysticism. Such an event would remove stigmas, titles, necessity, sarcasm, slavery and economics -and all their parts.

Humanity is destined for greatness but not the greatness it perceives -as evident in the endless 'war of the worlds' between a very tired, old couple called The Ism.

Some say their passion has produced the offspring of quality -the antichrist by their own definition. Perhaps then, the future lays in the hands of a child. But in my opinion, philo will cause the future to become more than Quality...

14. randslam profile image78
    randslamposted 13 years ago

The doomsday prophets have a fifty/fifty chance of being right and besides humanity has been bearing guilt through religion for quite some time now.  It is the way that they keep people in the pews...everybody seems to love a good horror story.

However, it is unlikely that we are going to see aliens landing soon trying to save or enslave our planet so I'll stick with possible natural outcomes.

At the rate of international travel we will continue to see epidemics arise.  The next SARS, Swine or Chicken flu or possibly something bleaker will likely endanger a large portion of the globe's population.

Climate change will continue to effect humans through floods, volcanoes, tsunamis, tornados, heat waves and other natural disasters because as the planet heats and cools things happen and human beings pay a price.

The myth of violence may start being understood as the likelihood of any one of us being murdered or killed in warfare is going down...exponentially.  It is much better to be alive now than it was 10,000 years ago.  When people speak of our violent planet they are speaking truthfully...being alive is being under a certain possible outcome of violence, but the odds of that occurring to humans has dropped to a very thin, microscopic thread.  So this is a great time to be alive--even with all the angst in our western society--we just need to get over the generations of gloom and doom.

Finally, we need to take some steps of a precautionary measure.  We need to have a strategy for a comet hurtling toward Mother Earth...this scenario could hurt all of us for a long time. 

Education is the answer and removing much of the religious mumbo jumbo would be a huge stride forward for mankind.  God and Allah are not at war--the followers of the two aforementioned shouldn't be either.

In the future we will continue to see strides in telecommunications, space travel (with ridiculously innovative design), the demise of monetary instability as we move to a more culturally even state of being.

China and India will play huge roles in the coming century perhaps hurtling past North America in technological advances, but this will be due to disciplined populations that have shunned the whole drug illusion, entitlement dream and white domination over popular culture.

Sorry for rambling, I could go on, but this was fun. Thank you for this forum.

Rand

15. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Hi friends

There is all good in store in future for the human beings. The Creator- God Allah YHWH is there to help us.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Please be rational and think before saying such utter nonsense. It is believing this irrational ill-thought out inanity that prevents people from having a respect for the planet and each other. We must help ourselves if we wish to have a good future. No invisible nonsensical super being will do it for us.

I sincerely hope you learn to think and use reasoning before speaking in future.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)