The Trinity - fact or fiction?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (81 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 12 years ago
    1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pure fiction.
      God is three separate persons. Illogical nonsense.

If God is omnipresent he dwells in Heaven and is present on the Earth simultaeneously. So the Holy Spirit is a term used when referring to His presence on the Earth. Not some separate person but His spirit.
      Similarly Jesus is a term used when referring to His presence on the Earth in the flesh.
      Jesus is God Himself. There us no need for a trinity.

The trinity was not invented until the Church wanted a sop to the pagan Constantine in exchange for making Christianity the official religion of the empire.

Hear oh Israel the lord our God, our God is one. I am the lord God, besides me ther is no other. I will not give my glory to another. If you gave known be you have known the father. Before Abraham, I am.

The trinity is redundant.

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

if the trinity is fiction, then did god die when jesus died?

God came in the flesh so that manifestation of God died.

1. profile image0

so father and holy spirit survived?  Sounds like trinity doctrine

1. mecheil profile image61
              mecheilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

long story to tell, i really hope i can ask constantine to answer the issue. one thing i know, jesus was firstborn, not someone who is equal to the creator. he prayed to god. he was sent by god. did what god told him to do. raised by god. placed to the right of god's throne. seems to me, jesus is not god at all. and seems to me, holy spirit is missing in action in the topic of positions/thrones.

1. profile image0
                Deborah Sextonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

2. Disappearinghead profile image60

Thanks Bailey for the link. I shall have to read this tomorrow. Unfortunately it's midnight and I've had a couple very strong English ales.

3. mathsciguy profile image61
      mathsciguyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Come now, baileybear...

What do you think, eh?  You sower of discord, you.

;-)

1. profile image0

this link was on a Facebook page of a christian (who is looking at messianic jewish beliefs) - I didn't have to look for it

4. profile image0

5. profile image0

groups that don't believe in the trinity include mormons, jehovah witnesses

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_all_Christ … he_Trinity

1. profile image0

The Jewish don't believe in a trinity (except those in America called the Messianic Jews. and the Oneness Protestants don't.

I certainly don't

1. profile image0

add oneness pentecostals to that list

2. Disappearinghead profile image60

That's disappointing about the messianic Jews. I assumed that of all the church spectrum they would be amongst the more switched on.

1. profile image0

I find all religion to be lacking.

2. profile image0

________
            Well not all of them do but most.

Some just accept Yahshua as the Messiah.  So there are a few that are OK

6. Apostle Jack profile image61
      Apostle Jackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is not 3 persons and it is not 3 Gods.It is from the father through the son and by the holy spirit.The misinterpretation of this have cause most  to believe that Christ is God,when in fact he is a SPIRITUAL SON. He came from heaven as a spirit.

7. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Fiction or BS, take your pick. lol

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

From wikipedia: "The Trimurti (English: ‘three forms’; Sanskrit: त्रिमूर्ति trimūrti) is a concept in Hinduism "in which the cosmic functions of creation, maintenance, and destruction are personified by the forms of Brahmā the creator, Vishnu the maintainer or preserver, and Śhiva the destroyer or transformer,"

3. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 12 years ago

Many pagan religions had multiple gods. The Romans had multiple deities.
    The God of the hebrews is one God, as disappearinghead has quoted and there are so many more besides that one.
    Jesus is the name for God in the flesh. Since the Hebrews had lost the name of God previously, part of the reason for the birth of jesus gave them a new name to call him by. God has a lot of names.
    The Holy Spirit is also God. Its not a separate name for a separate person, it is also God.
    And of course God is God. Jehovah is God. El shadai is God
    The bible loves to personify things, even wisdom who cries in the streets. No reason to think wisdom is a person.

One God, many names.
    no trinity

1. profile image0

yet you've just described the trinity

1. profile image0
        brotheryochananposted 12 years agoin reply to this

no i didn't
        not in any way shape or form

1. profile image0

so god just changes from spirit to flesh?

1. profile image0
            lynnechandlerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I read this and all I could think of was the human form of Dracula turning into mist. lol Wonder if that was the basis for this fictional character?

big_smile don't make me laugh. Pagans worship trees and special places. A pick and mix set of beliefs with no structure. Believe what you want, make it up as you go along.

1. profile image0

yet, that's essentially what all religions do - they just evolve & then someone rejects a teaching, so forms a new sect

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
                  dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

agree Bailey, I think you are dead on here

2. profile image0

new revelations occur all the time. This is how the church and people of God grow.
                  To me whether someone agrees or doesn't is neither the issue or matter. The understanding i have suits me fine and i am okay with it. If someone else likes it too then cool.
                  I believe in one God. I believe God filled the person (body) of jesus and i believe that what christendom claims to be a person in the Holy Spirit is God and not a separate personified entity at all.
                  One God.
                  I don't even believe that jesus is walking around in heaven but that he shirked the body he raised from the tomb and melded spiritually with the father. Will he use it again on his return, i think so. Is it hanging in a closet? no. There have been other incarnations of God, 4th person in the fire of daniel, the angels of lot, melchizedek, to name a few. Are these bodies all hanging out somewhere? no.
                  I got stuck when people said Jesus was alive back in the beginning and i thought, not jesus but some other form, because Jesus was born at the end of the Old testament, 1 a.d. if u like. Maybe this helps, i can say that melchizedek was before christ.
                  I am fine with this.
                  I'm not making a doctrine of it.
                  For me it works.
                  God doesn't work with  people because all their beliefs are completely on the mark. Some believe in a snake in a tree that talked and God is fine with them believing that.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
                    Beelzedadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seems you provide ample reason for the belief in gods as something a believer wants to believe as opposed to what a god would offer to believe. smile

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
                    dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was in reference to what bailey said about people twisting the book and  re-making it with a new version (Thier own version) of it.

What you believe, please continue contine on, it is of no matter. The comment was not about you or wheither you personaly care about what others believe.

2. profile image0

seems you don't have a clue about your own doctrines

trinity =the belief that 3 persons (father, son, holyspirit) make up god, but are not each other

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions … ty_1.shtml

1. profile image0

more like you don't have a clue about my doctrines.
            Read it again, slowly this time.

1. profile image0

no need to be condescending. Just because you think you have made yourself clear ,doesn't mean you have

1. profile image0

I'm sure your comment about my  'not having a clue about my own doctrines' was meant to be uplifting, but lets ignore that, shall we.
                I reread my comment, i think it is quite clear.

anyway i said what i said. Lets not quibble about what it means. If you don't get it, its not that important to me.

2. vector7 profile image61
                vector7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nothing is clear to you Bailey...

Review the threads for your explanation requests..

1. profile image0

how can things be clear when people insist on contradicting themselves?

2. profile image0

interesting how you used 'it' for holy spirit

2. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Chan man,
      I am under the understanding Creator has no name.
      To reference: Moses asks Creators name. Creator replies: ehyeh asher ehyeh -- meaning I am who I am; whom I choose to be.

Names are stigmas; Names are for pagans; Names create gods or representations of gods. What does Creator need a name for again?

James.

1. profile image0

How are names for Pagans? We didn't write the bible, but yet the name God comes from the bible. Interesting!

1. profile image0

bible?? lol That's funny.
          Pagans design names for things -from nature or the cosmos and call them gods, yes? Only fitting the ba`al worshipers of literature do the same. Ever read Shakespeare or Gaiman? Chock full of names. Chock full of paganism.

Actually the name "God" is not a name, but an attribute of a persona defined by its practical relevance. Example: Y`ova Yirah -a name attributed to the god that provides. Ra, the one who warms the sky. Lucifer the horned one, Earth, Athos, Diana, Green Man, Litha, Zeus, Mars, etc etc etc. Most are not of the "Bible". But yes, Torah is chock full of pagan attributes regarding Creator, as Judaism incorporated much ba`al into its mysticism, as history records. Most prominent in Babylonian history and captivity.

smile
          James.

4. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 12 years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triquetra  More on the Pagan aspect.

5. profile image0

Ok, so according to you there is this great mystical creator out there that is just whoever he wants to be, really?

I will agree there is pagan symbolism in Shakespeare, but I do believe that is fiction and was a product of the creators mind at the time of writing based on myths of the times.

The others I admit to having no knowledge of, but you clearly stated that this creator had no name and names that came were a stigma were for pagans, etc. So, I really don't see your point. I know in the pagan culture that there are many names given to various gods and goddesses for different reasons, but they aren't the only ones who do this. Native American culture also has many names for the creator or who might they be offering up a blessing to for a good hunt or a prosperous and thriving garden yield. Are then to be lumped in as pagans just because they have many names for the ones they worship?

The question at hand is in fact is the trinity fact or fiction. Based on the article alone you would be led to believe that it is fictitious. What it all boils down to is that it is what you put your faith in and believe. If you believe that the three make up the one, then that is your faith. If you believe that the three represent different elements, then this is your belief. It really isn't about whether God is his name or not.

1. profile image0

_______
      The Bible says there is no other NAME by which man can be saved.
      Yahshua (Jesus) said he came in God's name. He was born Immanuel.

The word baal is a Hebrew word meaning, owner, master, husband.
      When the pagens started using it for the name of their god, the Hebrews stopped using it.

The Hebrews never once gave God a pagen name.

Be careful who you learn from. People who are unlearned and/or idiots make up stuff to back up their beliefs.

"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman...accurately handling the word of truth."

2. profile image0

Hello Lynn,

Emm, no. See, that is the problem with paganism: titles and entities.

Yes, the Shakespeare and Gaiman analogies were to show how easily any one can create a title, give it a name and call it god. It is also not limited to religions either, something science has yet to admit (but that's another topic altogether).

Yes. They are a stigma and are for pagans, as a pagan can pick and choose which or what they desire to believe in, conjure, exalt, focus interest on, etc. The Creator cannot have a name or title, as that would deduce Creator to a human perspective --a human creating a god.

I would have to say yes. As the Aborigines, Native American, Inca, Mayan, countless African Tribes, India, Asian, Pacific Island, Caribbean --even the Egyptians, Greeks, Romans and Hebrews do the same.

Actually, I am highly in agreement that the trinity is fictitious. It was used so as to create the concept of this man Immanu El (Y`shua, Jesus) being the totality of Creator in the flesh, being the Creator himself. So by dividing up the pieces of Creator, giving each a name and title, it established itself as ancient validity for worship. This is why Christianity came into being (which has very little to do with why the man did the work he did). He himself says he is not "God", but an offspring of Creator --and all humans are identical | equal | brothers to him-- it destroys the entire conundrum. It is easier for them to worship him, place the burden on him, give themselves absolution, instead of following in the same footsteps. So worship comes easy. Note how Constantine took the concept and ran with it. He went from worshiping goats and golden statues, to creating a god in his image, using Immanu El to achieve that effect. From Romantic often Ruthless and Bloody measures of worship, to an extreme opposite. He even went so far as to blend Diana into the mix in the form of Mary (strong in Roman Catholicism) and depicting "Jesus" as blondish, blue eyed divinity...

James.

6. profile image0

I never once said that God was given a pagan name. What I was quoting was from Twenty One where he states that names are stigma's and were for pagans, etc.

Edit to add: and again the topic is whether the trinity is fiction or fact. I don't see what names have to do with that.

1. profile image0

_______
      I never once accused you of saying that God was given a pagan name.
      I know what you were replying to.
      Now how did you get all of that out of what I said.

I already said that trinity is fiction. Boy you're huffy.
      Names don't have anything to do with it offhand. But you were talking about names

1. profile image0

Sorry Deborah, maybe I read too much into it. The name thing came up and I responded. But I'm off to bed now.

1. profile image0

7. profile image0

Personally, I don't worship trees or special places, I respect them. There is plenty of structure in the respect of where we live. I do have my own set of beliefs, but nothing is made up as I go along. Everything comes through learning and research to become a better individual without being judgmental of others.

I really only entered into this to give a view of the Triquetra and then I continued because I don't see how Twenty One can say names are a stigma and were for Pagans etc. I still don't have clarification on that one. Oh well, like I said this is about the trinity, whether it be fact or fiction and I think it is up to each individual to decide what they truly believe.

8. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

The trinity is Christianity’s means of explaining the web of power as spoken of in shamanism.  YHWH is the name of the consciousness that originates within, and emanates from, the higher plane; then flows throughout the physical world in the form of the Holy Spirit. Yeshua represents that part of our being that is connected to this consciousness. Through the study of the words and ways of Yeshua humanity, or ‘the body of Christ’as Christianity defines it, can connect to the consciousness that emits from the higher plane. Yeshua is their model for becoming one with the ‘father’.

9. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

Nothing like a good debate on a sunny friday as to whether Jesus was divine lol

1. vector7 profile image61
      vector7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No debate.

Just unfortunate blind people..

smile

10. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

The Trinity - fact or fiction?

Trinity is fiction; it is not from Jesus; it was invented by cunning Paul, sinful scirbes and misled churhc; these three invneted it.

Trinity is a myth, a fiction, a superstition.

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just like your myths.

2. tammybarnette profile image60
      tammybarnetteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is what I believe the trinity represents, man is made in the image of God, man is mind, body, and soul-God is the mind, Jesus the body, and the holy spirit is the soul.

1. profile image0

_______
        Mankind in the image of God, does not mean physical attributes.

It says God the Word and the Holy Ghost.

1. tammybarnette profile image60

I'm not a theologian, but I don't think you need to be. I think people over think subjects such as these. We are to come to him with the innocence of a child so I don't think he, God, was trying to be overly complex. The Word was Jesus until the bible.

1. profile image0

Yahshua (Jesus to you) read from the scriptures. They already existed.
            Yahshua was the word because that's all he spoke..the words God gave him.

Yes of course the old testament existed before Jesus, I 'm sorry for not being clear. Jesus spread the word of God and became the word of God.

11. www.lookseenow profile image61
    www.lookseenowposted 12 years ago

Yes, you are right, the Old Testament, aka Hebrew Scriptures did exist before Jesus, but he was there in his prehuman past.  In time he arrived to add the Christian Greek scriptures that tell us:

The Word became flesh and resided among us, and we had a view of his glory. (John 1:14)

You can’t help but see the relationship between father, and son.  What does begotten mean?  It means to beget, or to give life to. The father, Jehovah gave life to the son, Jesus aka The Word.

1. profile image0

Come now, expand your mind!
      The passage says ALL worlds (meaning the entire universe) were framed by the words of Creator. So the entire physic universe IS His words. Only fitting that Immanu El ( Creator In Us ) being the word makes sense --and so does this: YOU are also the word, if you truly understand the Spirit and why you created to begin with.

Why do you worship a man who told you not to worship him?

James.

I truly want to expand my mind, I am a student of life. God did create the universe and everything within. I can grasp how all of us are the body of christ, the church, and therefore the word. Explain what you mean with your last question please, I stated I am not  theologian, just an ordinary jane who loves God.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
          Beelzedadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your mind will never be expanded with medieval beliefs blocking the way. smile

2. profile image0

Hi Tammy,

The last part of the question was deemed to the general 'believing populous', not you specifically. The entire text, front to back, as I have read it time and time again, commands no human worship another human or any other 'thing'. so, people worshiping this man, Immanu El [called Jesus, Y`shua] is not to be done. Sadly, they have ignored his main request --if not a command-- to love and worship the Creator alone and above all things. Not to create a religion that even Constantine who made Christianity the 'official' religion, would be awed by. This is the same thing the Hebrews did, when Moses went up the mountain. even in the presence of glory and seeing Moses face, the rumbling of the mountain, they built a religion --and actually demanded Moses depart from them, because of the glory on him, so they could keep their religion alive.

The man simply said (paraphrased): "See how I am now, this is you, the real you. Now, go and become who you truly are, what you were truly created to be. Just remember what I did, in case you get discouraged. To help you, the Father is sending you what Adam had long ago, what you see shining from me --the essence of the Father himself, his Spirit. He will dwell in you (Creator In Us) --also see Johns Revelation regarding the Kingdom of Heaven and Genesis 1-- and that in-dwelling will lead you into all truth, life, peace, etc and get this: even cause you to passover (pass from physical death to physical eternal life) just like I am now. All you need to do is believe and take action called faith so it can happen. That is why I did the Work, to reverse everything that went wrong since Adam."

James.

James, thank you for your reply. I will probably have to read it a couple of times and look up the scriptures you provided before it sinks in, but I believe you are saying that Jesus said not to worship him only the Father so therefore you do not belive in the trinity. If I have read this wrong I apologize. I intend to do the research, thanks again for sharing your wisdom:)

1. profile image0

Not at all, no apology required.
              And yes, I am saying exactly that -we are not to worship Jesus.
              The trouble comes with a few passages where it states he and the Father are one; that he is the words of the Father, etc etc.

His title: Immanu El {Creator with us], was given by Isaiah, to reflect the character of the true human being -a full and complete unity between Creator and creation. As some say: Elohim~elohim. The lessor a reflection of the Greater.

You, me, anyone who accepts the gift of Grace -which is actually  salvation itself- can now be transformed into the exact image and likeness that Jesus is in now --a glorified being. This is what Adam was, hence why Jesus is called the 2nd Adam.

James

12. Jesus-Saves profile image58
    Jesus-Savesposted 12 years ago

Jesus is 100% God and 100% man. We cant fully comprehend how this two opposite natures can coexist together in one person. This are divine things, and divine things are infinite in nature, therefore no finite mind can fully grasp them. But we can believe them by faith.
    The Bible does not mention the word trinity, but the concept is clearly supported by the Bible. Trinity means 3 divine beings, but one in nature and purpose. And since this is a Biblical issue, let me support what i am saying with some Bible texts.

Some 'Jesus is God' texts;
    "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made that was made.. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us." John 1:1-3, 14.
    "By Him (Christ) were all things created, that are in heaven and that are in earth.." Colossians 1:16
    "Unto the Son He saith, 'thy throne oh God is forever and ever, a scepter of righteousness is the scepter of thy Kingdom." Hebrews 1:8
    "And this is the will of Him that sent Me, that everyone which seeth the Son and believeth on Him, may have everlasting life, and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:40

Some Trinity texts
    "And God said, 'let US make man in OUR image, after our likeness..'" Genesis 1:26
    "Come ye near unto Me, hear ye this, I have not spoken in secret from the beginning, from the time that it was, there am I. And now, the Lord God, and His Spirit hath sent Me." Isaiah 48:16
    "And we have seen and do testify that, 'the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world'." 1 John 4:14
    "If you love Me, keep My commandments. And I will pray the Father and He shall give you another comforter, that He may abide with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not neither knoweth Him. But ye know Him for He dwelleth with you and shall be in you." John 14:15-17

13. vector7 profile image61
    vector7posted 12 years ago

You don't even believe in God Baileybear.

You make no sense.

Why don't you just ask why aliens are green?

As if it matters because you don't think they exist at all...

Or do you?

1. profile image0

seems all you are capable of is attacking people rather than debating the question at hand.

14. recommend1 profile image59
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

Oh god save us from all those w@nkers who pretend to speak in your name.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)