What is your ethnic background?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (36 posts)
  1. profile image0
    klevifushaposted 12 years ago

Let's see how many different ethnic groups we have here at Hub Pages.  This should be fun.  I'll start with myself.

Both my parents and I were born and raised in Albania, a small country in South-Eastern Europe.  It borders the Adriatic Sea, Greece, Macedonia and Kosovo.

1. Ken Barton profile image61
      Ken Bartonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When the kids in school ask me I tell them I'm "Scottish, Irish, Dutch, French, English, Swedish, Welsh"." I'm a full-blooded Mutt, and gotta Cold-nose to Prove it!"

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was born in New Zealand.  My father is half Dutch-half German (from Holland).   My mother is a mix of NZ Maori, English, Scottish.

3. profile image50
      Sweetheart5posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was born in America, but my blood line goes as far back as the Norman people who were supposed to be Scandanavian, French, and Celtic I believe. I also supposedly have some Armenian, and German blood, but for the most part I'm mostly Italian, which is what I tell people. The rest is just too much to go into.

2. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

I was born and raised in Cuba, that island in the middle of the Caribbean so often sacked by pirates that didn't look anything like Johnny Depp.

3. profile image0
    Muldanianmanposted 12 years ago

I am native English, although my paternal grandfather was a Scot.  I can go back to the early 18th century, and my mother's family were English even then, and my paternal grandfather's were Scottish, although his name was Hans, which was a name passed down the family for generations.  I don't know where this originated, as Hans isn't a very Scottish name.  I don't seem to have any other nationalities in my family background, but of course there might be some Roman or Viking blood in there too, as the English are made up of different peoples.

4. SueShepard profile image60
    SueShepardposted 12 years ago

As far as I can trace back...Mainly Irish and English

5. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

I'm just human.  My grandmother crossed the country in a wagon as a child to take up residence about 3 days journey (50 miles) from where I now live - her mother was the first white woman to ever see that little valley.  Funny, because I didn't grow up here and only moved into the area about 10 years ago.

Beyond that, though, I have no idea where my genealogy leads.  Probably some rude highwayman roaming the backwoods of Europe somewhere.

6. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 12 years ago

I am English, but my grandmother had bright red hair, and on the other side, my dad did too! so somewhere along the way, we are either original Celtic britons, or scottish, Irish or maybe something else! I do know that my great grandad was a mystery, he came from Canada, but nobody knows anything about him! so he could well be the Missing Link! (don't say it!! lol)

1. recommend1 profile image59
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you were a  Celtic Briton you would have black hair.

Red hair would be Scottish, or possibly Irish, as the Scots originally inhabited Irealnd and I guess they did not all take boat to the then uninhabited Scotland named after them, the Scottii.

1. Nell Rose profile image89
        Nell Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Boudicca the greatest Celtic Queen in History, lived on the East coast of England,in AD 60, she was from the Iron age,  and she had bright flaming red hair, back then they were very pale skinned.

7. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

I probably shouldn't comment on this, as national identity is a powderkeg just waiting to go off here in Scotland at the moment. But...

Personally, I consider myself British, always have and always will. I consider myself Scottish by regional identity and British by nationality.

On my mother's side, my family go back as far as the British Isles have been populated, to the ancient Picts. There is some Danish inclusion from the Vikings, on my maternal grandmother's side.

On my father's side, the family came to Scotland from England and prior to that from Normandy (the Hamiltons) with Edward, to fight against William Wallace in the 13th century. The other side were a mix of Scots/English.

8. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

My mother was French, my father American.

9. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

My mother's ethnic background was English/Scottish.  My father was a first generation American, born of Italian immigrant parents.  :-D  I got my mother's coloring, so I don't look like I have a drop of Italian blood in me, unfortunately.

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have olive skin from Maori side, but don't have obvious Maori features.   I get mistaken for being italian or spanish. A blonde italian woman once insisted I was italian

10. MPG Narratives profile image60
    MPG Narrativesposted 12 years ago

Both my parents were born in Southern Italy and migrated to Australia in the early 1950s. I am Australian and very proud of my heritage, both Italian and Aussie.

11. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

Canadian....for many generations...french canada (1615)...a long time and then combined with the rest of Canada...so, Canadian, eh?

12. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

My family history traces back to French Canadian, but neither my mother or father were born there. They were both born in America. wink

13. heartofphoenix profile image58
    heartofphoenixposted 12 years ago

I was born in Romania from a Romanian mother and Hungarian father. I studied in US and currently commuting between Europe and US. lol

14. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

Lets see.. my father is Cuban, so is my mother. My grandfather was a Spaniard and my grandmother was French..actually I think I'm Cuban..but have been living in Florida for well over 30 years..so I'm not sure..God I'm so confused!!!

Sorry, I was just having one of those Duh!! moments.

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We are Cuban American... we chew gum and wear chancletas. smile

15. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

please see avatar

16. wheelinallover profile image75
    wheelinalloverposted 12 years ago

Here we go more labeling. My roots are German(ancestors moved to England in the 14th century), English(through Canada), Cherokee, and Mohawk. In that order believe it or not. While I was growing up, for grade school I was just different, in my teens most people thought I was Mexican I had their coloring both from genetics and spending most of my time in the Southern California sun. I also spoke their language, had from the first word learned. My mother had learned Spanish in High school and once she reached California used it and Cherokee way more than English. She made extra money translating Mexican Spanish and thirty six other Central and South American dialects into English. The majority of the family friends spoke Spanish but at home Cherokee was the language of choice. Since my accident I was retaught in English only, my mother tried to help me learn Spanish and Cherokee again but something is still broken inside my brain.

17. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

Danube Swabian, ethnic Germans who settled along the Danube River valley in Hungary about 300 years ago.

18. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 12 years ago

USA born and raised.  Great granddaughter of the pioneers.

My mom's side can trace their heritage to English and German roots.  My dad was adopted.

19. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

Both my maternal and paternal grandparents were of Irish decent, and their grandparents had emigrated to England after the potato famine.

20. cheerfulnuts profile image60
    cheerfulnutsposted 12 years ago

I was born and raised in the Philippines. Three of my grandparents came from China. My paternal grandmother is a Filipina.

21. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

I am American, my parents are American, my grand-parents on both sides were American, and theirs parents and grand-parents were from... America.

Shall I continue?

I am Anglo-Saxon and American Indian (Apache), about an eigth. (probrably more like a 16th or 32nd). Which came into the line in the late 1800s.

22. pajamazzon profile image60
    pajamazzonposted 12 years ago

i'm french, spanish, chinese and filipino rolled in one.

23. Chaotic Chica profile image60
    Chaotic Chicaposted 12 years ago

I was born an American and am proud to be so though to be American is vague in and of itself as nobody actually originated here excluding the first true settlers being what we call today as Native Americans.

That being said, the blood that runs through my veins is comprised of Spanish, Navajo & Apache on my father's side and my mother's is primarily English with a bit of Irish and possibly Cherokee mixed in.

{Grandma was native to New Zealand where my mother was born and her family goes back to England as far as I can tell but grandpa was an American with Irish roots who went to NZ to meet his bride.} 

Somewhere along the line there is rumor of some French blood in there but it's so thinned out as to not be relevant to me.

Seeing as how my entire maiden name is Spanish, that is who I identify with the most despite having my mother's decidedly English looks.

1. TMMason profile image61
      TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If that is the case then no-one is any ethnicity. We all, our ascendents, came from somewhere else before we were where we are today.

So I don't accept that answer. How many generations do you think it takes before you qualify as a member of that country and people?

1. Chaotic Chica profile image60
        Chaotic Chicaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My great grandmother is on the rolls as Apache, her husband was born to a Navajo mother and a Spaniard father.  Their daughter married a Spaniard.  They gave birth to my father who wed my mother.  I don't have to go back very far.  And they are also very quick to point out that they are Spanish, not Mexican, it is a source of pride in the family.

24. Greg Sage profile image40
    Greg Sageposted 12 years ago

Mine go way back to when "white" met "bread."

Anybody got some spf90?

25. saddlerider1 profile image58
    saddlerider1posted 12 years ago

I was born in Montreal, Quebec Canada to a British mom and Irish, English father.My ancestry goes back to Yorkshire England and Dublin Ireland. I was fluent in French Canadian french growing up as a boy, teen and a young adult until I moved to the Canadian Prairies 30 yrs ago, never spoke a word of French, lost it all.

26. sylvia13 profile image64
    sylvia13posted 12 years ago

I was born in Peru of Peruvian father and Uruguayan mother of British, American and Dutch ancestry. I have lived in Peru, Australia, Dominican Rep and Austria and I'm planning to move back to Australia in the near future. I speak Spanish and English fluently and can understand German, although I can't speak it fluently.

27. Made profile image61
    Madeposted 12 years ago

I'm just Finnish and Swedish. I live in Finland and speak Swedish.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)