jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can you tell how old a deer is by its antlers?

1. Myn Is Me profile image72
    Myn Is Meposted 5 years ago

Can you tell how old a deer is by its antlers?

2. ShootersCenter profile image72
    ShootersCenterposted 5 years ago

Antlers has nothing to do with the age of the animal. You can tell that he is still fairly young because there's no sway to his back yet. His eyes are still round, as they age, their eyes become squinted, the nose will look shorter because it gets more head mass. He has a pretty big neck but his glands aren't dark. He has a pretty big belly but no sway back, so I'd guess probably only about 2-3yrs old. Oh yeah, that's an elk, not a deer

3. Nettlemere profile image94
    Nettlemereposted 5 years ago

The number of tines on the antlers of red deer and white tailed deer increases with age each time they shed their antlers until they are at their peak (around 7 years old), so for that species the number of tines is a good indication of age. Also the width of the base of antlers is wider each year and when you pick up a shed antler it is possible to see growth rings like in trees. I found an interesting article here:  http://www.whitetailstewards.com/articl … iology.htm

4. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image83
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 5 years ago

Watch the movie The Deer Hunter.

Robert De Niro reveals the answer.

5. WhoWhatWhereWhen profile image72
    WhoWhatWhereWhenposted 5 years ago

A one-year old deer has only one fork in its horns; each year it will have one more fork or tine until its antlers are fully-grown. There are then between six and ten tines depending on the species of deer.

Male fallow-deer, roe-deer and the moose also have antlers which they lose each year. The female reindeer is the only female member of the deer-tribe (cervidae) to have antlers.